Forums > General Industry > What is a creative director?

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

I recently had a MUA that did makeup and clothing for the models but I supplied the backgrounds, lighitng and digital concepts. Who is the creative director?

P.S. It's not someone who is in my port yet. This person gave me a big headache. Basically expects more than any MUA I have ever had on a TFP basis.

Aug 17 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

a creative director is the head of the 'creative' at an agency or magazine. they are in charge of the art directors and such. usually they do not go on many shoots..unless they want to

Aug 17 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Not sure I understand the question.

Are you trying to determine who among your shoot crew should be credited as Creative Director? Or are you trying to define what a CD is?

Aug 17 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Marco Patino

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Seattle Photo wrote:
a creative director is the head of the 'creative' at an agency or magazine. they are in charge of the art directors and such. usually they do not go on many shoots..unless they want to

Hit it right on the head.
~M~

Aug 17 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

creative director & TFP in the same sentence?

Aug 17 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

A MUA after our shoot was over (the model was still there) clamied that she deserves to see every image I shoot. If I had known that, I would have shot with more precision b/c I don't have the software or the equipment right there to give her such. Also, I have shot with her as a MUA (different wardrobe/hair stylist) and I didn't show raw images then either. But if I knew she expected such, I would have just shot differently.

She brung the makeup ideas and the clothes. Now she wants to be called the creative director. I am confused b/c everything else is in my hands. This isn't going in any magazine (that I know of), it was meant for both of our websites.

I understand how she could have expected differently but she assumed. I dont' know how since I shot with her before but now she claims she deserves this and I should have the pics to her within 2 days.

Aug 17 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Dawnie wrote:
This is the bossiest MUA ever.

Still an MUA, thats all.
If you have an art director or a creative director, you are getting paid.
I never never work with Divas ever. Get someone else for your next shoot.

Aug 17 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

We will - depending on the shot - use a creative director to develop the set.  We also use a creative director (or often called a graphics artist) to touch up a shot or to do post production work (usually with Photoshop). Other times the creative director may help the model with the pose.  That's how we use the terms.

Cheers, Tim

Aug 17 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

Tim Baker wrote:
We will - depending on the shot - use a creative director to develop the set.  We also use a creative director (or often called a graphics artist) to touch up a shot or to do post production work (usually with Photoshop). Other times the creative director may help the model with the pose.  That's how we use the terms.

Cheers, Tim

a creative director is NOT a graphics artist....they may be skilled in it, but creative director is a pretty damn high ranking title.  like it is THE person in charge. i think you are thinking about an art director ...but you don;t give these people these titles..they work in them and are teh ones who hire you!

Aug 17 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

oldguysrule wrote:
creative director & TFP in the same sentence?

Causes you to feel faint doesn't it?

Aug 17 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Tim Baker wrote:

Cheers, Tim

whoa

set designer for the set, production artist or designer or retoucher for the graphics work, art director (MAYBE) to help the model with the pose.

use terms the way you want, i suppose, but do know what they mean outside your circle as well.

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

So was she an art director if she brung the makeup and clothing?

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Dawnie wrote:
So was she an art director if she brung the makeup and clothing?

No... she was the stylist (MUA and Wardrobe and maybe hair).  Now, it sounds like she also wants to be credited for the concept behind the shoot, etc... - still not a CD though.... Just cause you give yourself a label does not make it so... watch.  I am young handsome and have a rock hard six pack... nope.  still middle aged, below average, and more like a soft party ball....

Aug 17 06 12:53 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Wow,  this is going to be a confusing thread.

I really think you might repost the question as two separate questions.

Mhana moderator.

If the MUA and you did not agree to this before the shoot then the MUA is basically out of luck.
It can happen that someone other than the photographer will set everything up with concept and most of the execution of the shoot and can ask for the copyright or just take the idea elsewhere.

But it does not appear this is the case here.  Seems like the MUA did some extra work and wants what was not agreed upon.

Good answers so far on what is a creative director.
Though this term has blended lately with art director, artist director

Mhana stylist.

Aug 17 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Aug 17 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Just another person that wants a cut or just another person who wants to tell you what to do.

Aug 17 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Dawnie wrote:
Told me to put a black light behind the model. Black light? You mean a shadow? lol

That's got to be the funniest thing yet....

Aug 17 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Creative director - *the* big cheese... the head honcho... the 400 lb. gorilla in the room...  Their duties include looking through the portfolios of *ALL* the creative people associated with a project to select the ones for the project that will develop a cohesive message and image.  They are further charged with creating that overall message and image and keeping the big picture in mind.  Also in line with their *big picture* duties they are typically in a position of supervision of *everyone* on a creative team including Art directors, photographers, makeup artists, stylists (both pre and on set), producers, and talent.  They also typically are in charge of getting million dollar shots on a five and dime budget.

Art director - *A* big cheese.  One of many under a creative director's supervision, tasked with micro managing every element of each shot to ensure it communicates a message and the photographer doesn't get lost in the la-la land of "Oh, let's be creative today".  The art director notices every minutia of every individual frame a photographer takes, whereas the creative director has to keep the big picture of what all the individual frames look like together in mind.  If only one art director is needed for a project, there typically will not be a creative director.  Creative directors organize and coordinate the ADs

Makeup artist - NOT AN ART DIRECTOR NOR A CREATIVE DIRECTOR.  Makeup artists have one job... to make sure the makeup follows the direction that the client/art director demands it follow.  S/he should have little to no input on the direction of the makeup unless they are asked to...and if the client asks the makeup artist to change the make up or do a specific style of makeup, it's not a discussion, it's a job.

Photographer - Can be an Art director too sometimes...because sometimes s/he *is* the client...or no AD was hired for a project.  Takes much more to be an AD/Photographer, and that's why the jobs are separated when budget allows.  ADs micro manage, and pay attention to detail... photographers get creative with what guidelines the AD gives them... Often the *only* one who will see every frame shot, because they will do a rough edit before sending to the AD... with trusted clients it's the AD that does the rough edit and the CD that does the final edit... either way the Makeup artist doesn't see jack shit other than what the photographer/ad/cd gives them.

Aug 17 06 01:01 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Big sigh.

Aug 17 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

MHana wrote:
Big sigh.

Hey... I've almost caught up to you...

Aug 17 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

James Jackson wrote:
Creative director - *the* big cheese... the head honcho... the 400 lb. gorilla in the room...  Their duties include looking through the portfolios of *ALL* the creative people associated with a project to select the ones for the project that will develop a cohesive message and image.  They are further charged with creating that overall message and image and keeping the big picture in mind.  Also in line with their *big picture* duties they are typically in a position of supervision of *everyone* on a creative team including Art directors, photographers, makeup artists, stylists (both pre and on set), producers, and talent.  They also typically are in charge of getting million dollar shots on a five and dime budget.

Art director - *A* big cheese.  One of many under a creative director's supervision, tasked with micro managing every element of each shot to ensure it communicates a message and the photographer doesn't get lost in the la-la land of "Oh, let's be creative today".  The art director notices every minutia of every individual frame a photographer takes, whereas the creative director has to keep the big picture of what all the individual frames look like together in mind.  If only one art director is needed for a project, there typically will not be a creative director.  Creative directors organize and coordinate the ADs

Makeup artist - NOT AN ART DIRECTOR NOR A CREATIVE DIRECTOR.  Makeup artists have one job... to make sure the makeup follows the direction that the client/art director demands it follow.  S/he should have little to no input on the direction of the makeup unless they are asked to...and if the client asks the makeup artist to change the make up or do a specific style of makeup, it's not a discussion, it's a job.

Photographer - Can be an Art director too sometimes...because sometimes s/he *is* the client...or no AD was hired for a project.  Takes much more to be an AD/Photographer, and that's why the jobs are separated when budget allows.  ADs micro manage, and pay attention to detail... photographers get creative with what guidelines the AD gives them... Often the *only* one who will see every frame shot, because they will do a rough edit before sending to the AD... with trusted clients it's the AD that does the rough edit and the CD that does the final edit... either way the Makeup artist doesn't see jack shit other than what the photographer/ad/cd gives them.

As always, James, you exhibit far more patience than I.

Aug 17 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

oldguysrule wrote:

As always, James, you exhibit far more patience than I.

I just type fast. smile

Aug 17 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Dawnie wrote:
So what about the RIGHT to see very image?

I want to be fair here but part of me feels anomosity b/c she handled herself in such a rude matter. Started a fight while the model was still nude.

Also did a number of things wrong during the shoot, like changing the music on the model b/c the MUA thought it was the music she could rock to. The model just looked at me and rolled her eyes.

Told me to put a black light behind the model. Black light? You mean a shadow?

Also her makeup ideas were basically copies from magazines and not her own.

We will always let the model determine if it's paid.  If for some other reason we shoot nudes or implied e.g. for a website or (haven't ever done this) or agency, the model must allow the creative director to be on the set.  Professional models will understand this concept. Cheers, Tim

Aug 17 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Well, this was TFP. No money was involved and she chose to work with me again after she worked with me on another project involving another stylist. The thing is, she expects more than the first stylist and THAT stylist has a popularity to them.

She keeps telling me that photographers usually give her the images within 2 days but when I ask her to list these photographers, she didn't. Just the one I knew of and use to be my old teacher. I think she is trying to talk down to me b/c she knows my old teacher and she knows I am new to the biz.

Aug 17 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Dawnie, one piece of advice? Don't give yourself an ulcer over nothing.

Do your edits.  Give her good images.  If she likes them and wants to use them in her port yay, if not, oh well.  She wasn't the creative director, she has no in-born "right" to see all the images, and she's being a diva.

Aug 17 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

as a possible solution, provide contact sheets or their digital equivalent of all the shots (no editing) for the others to choose from. as to turnaround, the above should be doable pretty quickly.

seem reasonable?

Aug 17 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Okay, great. Sounds good with me. Thank you so much. I am bugging out over nothing smile

Aug 17 06 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Dawnie wrote:
Well, this was TFP. No money was involved and she chose to work with me again after she worked with me on another project involving another stylist. The thing is, she expects more than the first stylist and THAT stylist has a popularity to them.

She keeps telling me that photographers usually give her the images within 2 days but when I ask her to list these photographers, she didn't. Just the one I knew of and use to be my old teacher. I think she is trying to talk down to me b/c she knows my old teacher and she knows I am new to the biz.

Put everything in writing in advance. Send her a copy. State your terms (two weeks isn't unreasonable for complete or partial turn-around time).  Communicate everything in writing before the shot, even TFPs.  Some agencies/photogs/what ever may have a light load and can make this deadline.  Others who are busy, can't.  If the TFP model is going to be a professional, they understand this concept.

We have a component about TFPs on our website if you care to reference it.  We are going to ad a line about turn around time.

/tim

Aug 17 06 01:21 am Link

Makeup Artist

ganeshkarma

New York, New York, US

Tim Baker wrote:

Cheers, Tim

Huh? Creative director also called Graphics artist? Who ever told you that seriously misguided you, bless you heart.

Aug 17 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Tim Baker wrote:
We have a component about TFPs on our website if you care to reference it.  We are going to ad a line about turn around time.

/tim

Tim... your advice is sound, and this isn't about the advice.

Could *we* stop *we*ing? It's driving *me* a wee bit batty!

Only one person can type on a keyboard at a time!

Aug 17 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

This isn't a model, its a MUA.

Aug 17 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

So you know that there was no creative director... does that answer your question?

Aug 17 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

James Jackson wrote:
Tim... your advice is sound, and this isn't about the advice.

Could *we* stop *we*ing? It's driving *me* a wee bit batty!

Only one person can type on a keyboard at a time!

Thanks. I use we because we have more than one photographer/staff member. We're also a company, although I'm listed by name here.

Ciao, Tim

Edit: Actually at this moment, there are two of us working on images and a set design.

Aug 17 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Jean-Philippe Martin wrote:
So you know that there was no creative director... does that answer your question?

Sure does smile

Aug 17 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Dawnie wrote:
This isn't a model, its a MUA.

Same policies for an MUA. /tim

Aug 17 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

ganeshkarma wrote:

Huh? Creative director also called Graphics artist? Who ever told you that seriously misguided you, bless you heart.

I'm just saying what we will/do with different people. I don't care about the title as long as the job statement is clear. /tim

Aug 17 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Tim Baker wrote:

I'm just saying what we will/do with different people. I don't care about the title as long as the job statement is clear. /tim

except that it matters. the whole point of words is to communicate. if everyone is talking a different language, then what?

Aug 17 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

oldguysrule wrote:

except that it matters. the whole point of words is to communicate. if everyone is talking a different language, then what?

Babel; the evidence is overwhelming.

Aug 17 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

oldguysrule wrote:

I agree with you in theory. But we have an awesome graphics arts, model, and creative director (and learning photography) - all the same person.  She prefers the term 'Creative Director."  I have no problem with that, although she may spend 1/2 or more of her time being a graphic's artist.

/t

Edit: I'm on the crazy side with a vague MM sites advertising 'Stylist" services (Usually MUA), and then email they don't do hair or visa versa. 

That was my other point. Most of our basic policies are written in a semi-humorus style on or MM site.  We require in our confirmation reply that they have read the site, the model (or whom ever release (sent out by email) and agree to the policies.

We will not shoot until that is confirmed.

Aug 17 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

orinxpress

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Where I worked, the creative director was a business title for running both a photography crew and a graphics crew. In charge of the yes and no on any printed pieces. Everyone reported to the director. I could say more about my personal contribution. I quit, and now the director, manager, and everyone else are looking for new jobs.

Aug 17 06 01:52 am Link