Forums > General Industry > What is a creative director?

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

If you have the images and they don't, you can show them all or only what you want. Either way, the mua is subject to your whim there so do what you want and let the wombats sort out the rest.

It doesn't matter how she wants to credit herself especially if she wants to use the wrong terminology. She might as well call herself the Sultan of Antioch or Magic Queen Pissy Pants. It's all the same in the suggested context.

Aug 17 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

chupacabra!

Aug 17 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Art Richards Creatives

Bogo, Central Visayas, Philippines

oldguysrule wrote:

As always, James, you exhibit far more patience than I.

Aug 17 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Seattle Photo wrote:

a creative director is NOT a graphics artist....they may be skilled in it, but creative director is a pretty damn high ranking title.  like it is THE person in charge. i think you are thinking about an art director ...but you don;t give these people these titles..they work in them and are teh ones who hire you!

Creative Director.....LOL

I worked for company for eight years that had a "creative director". While I'm not sure how it works in your area but I do in the coporate world. The creative directors is usually a graphic artist with little or no skills. In this case didn't have a clue about PhotoShop but knew how to kiss corporate ass.

It's simply a title given to another mid level management type. Creative skills are secondary and in some cases irrelevant.

Aug 17 06 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Dawnie wrote:
P.S. It's not someone who is in my port yet. This person gave me a big headache. Basically expects more than any MUA I have ever had on a TFP basis.

You should see the competitive drama at the local beauty parlor next to my house

Aug 17 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Don't get hung up on titles so much. Titles are little colored stars of affirmation for silly little pecking orders.

The underlying issue here is about managing egos and resources, and bringing them to some sort of positive conclusion, or foundation for something bigger.

That makes you the CEO

Ham "Click" Hamiltion III, Esq.

CEO
President
General Manager
Creative VP
Creative Director
Art Director
Photographer
Grapic Artist
Production Manager
Window Washer
Office Cleaner
Bill Payer
Cook
Fighter
Lover
Special Events Organizer
Forum Poster
etc.

Aug 17 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

I worked for company for eight years that had a "creative director". While I'm not sure how it works in your area but I do in the coporate world. The creative directors is usually a graphic artist with little or no skills. In this case didn't have a clue about PhotoShop but knew how to kiss corporate ass.

It's simply a title given to another mid level management type. Creative skills are secondary and in some cases irrelevant.

and with one stroke, an internet forum has eliminated the need for the 200 or so most powerful individuals in advertising. this should improve your bottom line.

Aug 17 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

oldguysrule wrote:

and with one stroke, an internet forum has eliminated the need for the 200 or so most powerful individuals in advertising. this should improve your bottom line.

OldGuy.
this is the new generation.
If they cant tell the difference between a Creative Director and a MUA that tells all.

ask them what is the difference between an Agent and a Manager.. I dare ya!

Model and wanabee .. same thing
fashion and editorial ...same thing
good photo vs any shit...same thing

this is the iPod generation... dont lose the little hair yo have left.

Aug 17 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

Oh my God. Now that's insulting.

I am a creative director. I guess my degree in Graphic Design was for nothing. I guess my other degree in Industrial Technology with a concentration in Graphic Arts was for naught also. I am certainly not a power player in the industry, but I have worked with several creative directors of Fortune 500 companies who would also be equally insulted. Not only do I have to manage a department, I personally do all of the photography work, oversee all of the design work (I used to be the Art Director). I hire the MUA's and stylists. I am responsible for all files that go to print, that they are prepared correctly. If something gets screwed up, my ass is on the line. I am also in charge of all company advertising, so "creative skills" do come in handy.

One bad experience, does not make your opinion gospel.

Aug 17 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Timm wrote:

Oh my God. Now that's insulting.

I am a creative director. I guess my degree in Graphic Design was for nothing. I guess my other degree in Industrial Technology with a concentration in Graphic Arts was for naught also. I am certainly not a power player in the industry, but I have worked with several creative directors of Fortune 500 companies who would also be equally insulted. Not only do I have to manage a department, I personally do all of the photography work, oversee all of the design work (I used to be the Art Director). I hire the MUA's and stylists. I am responsible for all files that go to print, that they are prepared correctly. If something gets screwed up, my ass is on the line. I am also in charge of all company advertising, so "creative skills" do come in handy.

One bad experience, does not make your opinion gospel.

I never try to preach! I only related my experience after eight years in corporate environment. If that insults you or the other Fortune 500 players. Too Bad! You say you're not a "power player" in the industry. But your sure make noises like one!

Aug 17 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

my follicles appreciate your concern =o)

Aug 17 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
OldGuy.
this is the new generation.
If they cant tell the difference between a Creative Director and a MUA that tells all.

ask them what is the difference between an Agent and a Manager.. I dare ya!

Model and wanabee .. same thing
fashion and editorial ...same thing
good photo vs any shit...same thing

I know you directed this at oldguysrule, but it hit home with me too... Luckily the bush of hair on top of my head can stand to lose a few follicles without even the slightest dent, but the color may fade from a few more if this keeps up.

Creative director is a really important position, and it rarely has anything to do with corporate ass kissing.  Of course, if you can't play power politics in the corporate world your career as a Creative director may be limited... as exampled by one personal friend/big name creative director who was recently shown the door for having a difference of opinion with the managing director of the hang tag department at a big corporation.  Just like any other corporate job, schmoozing and ass kissing are part of it... it's us lucky camera slingers who don't have to play the game very often.

Aug 19 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Truitt

San Antonio, Texas, US

i would say make-up has nothing to do with art direction. Clothing can set a theme for the shoot so it is a start. I would think to call it art direction or creative director she would need to pick clothing, set up the shots for pose and location and help the model achieve the correct expression for the shot.  In other words directing the creative process so the photographer can focus on light, angles and the feel he wants without having to stop to fix the models hat etc.

Aug 19 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Main Street Studios

Holiday, Florida, US

eyelight wrote:

watch.  I am young handsome and have a rock hard six pack... nope.  still middle aged, below average, and more like a soft party ball....

That's the funniest thing I've read all week.  You crack me up

Aug 19 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

"Creative Director":

Often someone who once was an aspiring artist, mediocre Photoshop skills, better in Abode Illustrator than Photoshop, with a few unclear notions about photography, and a great cooperate ass- kisser who just likes to push around people who are more talented than himself!

Aug 20 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

I've been Creative Director of a small ad agency, freelance Creative Director for a number of in-house designer agencies, and consulting Creative Director to a major fashion retailer, I'm more than a little put off by this entire thread. Just as there are photographers who would not know a F-stop from a pitstop, there are figurehead Creative Directors. Don't assume you know fuck-all about it until you have done more than fart in an internet forum.

your comments do nothing to advance the discussion.

Aug 20 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

bobby billonhy

Hamilton, Alabama, US

oldguysrule wrote:
I've been Creative Director of a small ad agency, freelance Creative Director for a number of in-house designer agencies, and consulting Creative Director to a major fashion retailer, I'm more than a little put off by this entire thread. Just as there are photographers who would not know a F-stop from a pitstop, there are figurehead Creative Directors. Don't assume you know fuck-all about it until you have done more than fart in an internet forum.

your comments do nothing to advance the discussion.

you rule

Aug 20 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Forest City, North Carolina, US

There is a corporate hierarchy in every company. Usually the Creative Director is just under the vice president and some times is the vice president. It is not a title for interpretation. He makes the final decisions and is responsible to the top dog (the President).

The old man is correct. You are just full of hot air if you do not know these things.

Aug 20 06 01:05 am Link