Forums > General Industry > Angel Wings?

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

https://www.lotusimages.com/carnval/images/030.jpg

Oct 18 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

click

Oct 18 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Utopium Photography wrote:
I'm usually not one to rant, but does it bother anyone else when you see a model wearing angel wings in a photo? I always see it as something that just looks cheap and not really serious.

Then you probably haven't seen this image:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060507/10/445e18308a314.jpg

Which are modeled by this strapping lass:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=1662

& photographed by this intrepid young man:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=5852

Oct 18 06 02:33 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Please shoot me if I ever take a photo of a model with angel wings.

Oct 18 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Angel wings are crass and overdone, and any photographer that has images in their portfolio with them is a goof.

Oct 18 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

Personally I'm tired of all of these photographs with people in them! {sarcasm}

Each photograph created needs to be evaluated on it's own merits.

Oct 18 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Maynard Southern

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

https://static.flickr.com/26/56145851_02de5847ce.jpg

I'm trying to decide if this makes me a goofy angel wing shooter.

Oct 18 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

shabaka wrote:
Greetings,

No I am not...I have glory!...Besides angels don't have wings...that is just a man made conception....they have a glow and in early prints angles where repersented by their feet being on fire.  That being said I still going to use my blah opinion to restate that I don't like "wing"s on models as a concept...the wings by themselves my be cool or on a horse...I have never seen a real live Pegasus.

Take care and God Bless,
AJ

I've never seen a "real live" angel either....

;0

Oct 18 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

I'm usually not one to rant, but does it bother anyone else when you see a model wearing angel wings in a photo? I always see it as something that just looks cheap and not really serious.

If you dont like it dont look at the photo?

Oct 18 06 08:56 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

angelavasquez wrote:
I actually like the angel wing Idea, it always reminds me of VS. but hey to each is own....big_smile

I like the idea, it crosses my mind every time I pass VS. Want to steal those so bad!!! But on the other hand I have seen some really bad shots. And some good shots of bad wings.

I must say, if you can get ahold of VS wings, or similar ones go for it. But please don't buy them at Hot Topic or Spencers; those just look like crap.

Oct 18 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

J Merrill Images wrote:

Digiography wrote:
Angel wings are crass and overdone, and any photographer that has images in their portfolio with them is a goof.

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Angel wings had their moment in front of the camera. And for the most part they were a nice prop, and probably still is in some portraiture.  However, in my opinion, I think it is overdone now.

Farenell Photography wrote:
Unless there is a theme (aside from the Victoria Secrets "girls must look pretty" schtick) where the wings are essential, the wings IMHO just look tacky or overused or never done well.

Sky Above wrote:
You have no idea how much I hate angel wings...I'd like to take all the rope I see in some pics and wrap it around the wings...NOW that would be a pic!

i think the angel wings are extremely lame and overdone.

Dewey Scheel wrote:
I must have never seen it done well because to me it says amatuer imature whacko!

Would that include this national ad featuring Dovile Virsilaite? Or the entire 2006 campaign this season?

Of course, they spent a lot of money on the whole fallen wing campaign, so they might have skimped on the images.

Oct 18 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Would that include this national ad featuring Dovile Virsilaite? Or the entire 2006 campaign this season?

Of course, they spent a lot of money on the whole fallen wing campaign, so they might have skimped on the images.

Wow, this thread was so old (only to be reserrected by someone) that I'd completely forgotten that I'd said what you quoted me as saying.

Not to denigrate the efforts of the Dovile Virsilaite campaign, I stand by what I said.

Oct 19 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

I think its one of the most challenging shots. It must be produced well. I dare not try it just yet. I;ve seen some awesome stuff...One day I plan on shooting it...I mean, how can I not? Now if I could just figure a way to get the train tracks in the shot as well..

hmmmmmmmm..

Oct 19 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Yes,it is a gimmick and overdone ,but who cares?

Oct 19 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Kevin Connery wrote:

J Merrill Images wrote:

Digiography wrote:

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Angel wings had their moment in front of the camera. And for the most part they were a nice prop, and probably still is in some portraiture.  However, in my opinion, I think it is overdone now.

Farenell Photography wrote:
Unless there is a theme (aside from the Victoria Secrets "girls must look pretty" schtick) where the wings are essential, the wings IMHO just look tacky or overused or never done well.

Sky Above wrote:
You have no idea how much I hate angel wings...I'd like to take all the rope I see in some pics and wrap it around the wings...NOW that would be a pic!

i think the angel wings are extremely lame and overdone.

With my avatar and portfolio I thought I was being obviously sarcastic.  Obviously not to everyone.

Oct 19 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Would that include this national ad featuring Dovile Virsilaite?

Well, at least the model in this photo has her   ... ummmmm  ...... "middle feather" extended in an act of defiance. I still hate angel wing pics but this one seems to pretty much play off of the stupidity of the concept.

Oct 19 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

I prefer water wings. Usually more elegant.

Oct 19 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm bothered at people that complain about overdone concepts.  Especially when they have overdone concepts in their ports.

This is 2006.  PLEASE find me and idea that HASN'T been done a hundred times before?

What?  Can't do it?

Oh.

Oct 19 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Angel wings? Silly.

Oct 19 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Midnight Imaging

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

What is it that drives people to create these threads about what kind of pictures they don’t like?  Why not put the energy into creating some totally new picture concept that you do like?  Oh, wait a minute…  There’s almost no prop, pose, type of location, clothing, etc. that hasn’t been done before in some way.  Jeez, didn’t we get enough of that pin-up stuff in the 40’s?   ;-)

I did a quick experiment.  I pulled up the profiles of the first 10 photographers to show up in the announcements column on the main page.  Then I looked at the images on their first page of photos.  Some had fewer than 20 photos so I viewed 195 photos total.

Pictures with wings - 0 = 0%
Pictures with skimpy 2-piece outfit (bikini or bra & panties) - 51 = 26.2%
Pictures at beach (sand and/or body of water) - 27 = 13.8%
Studio pictures (backdrop or solid background) - 63 = 32.3%

I’m not complaining, I have backdrops.  Just that it’s interesting how wings can be used in one photo out of perhaps several thousand, and it sticks with people (even to the point of irritation), while the beach is used so often that you can become numb to the regularity with which it shows up in pictures.  I haven’t read a thread about too many beach pictures (although I wouldn’t be surprised).

Oct 19 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Midnight Imaging wrote:
What is it that drives people to create these threads about what kind of pictures they don’t like?  Why not put the energy into creating some totally new picture concept that you do like?  Oh, wait a minute…  There’s almost no prop, pose, type of location, clothing, etc. that hasn’t been done before in some way.  Jeez, didn’t we get enough of that pin-up stuff in the 40’s?   ;-)

I did a quick experiment.  I pulled up the profiles of the first 10 photographers to show up in the announcements column on the main page.  Then I looked at the images on their first page of photos.  Some had fewer than 20 photos so I viewed 195 photos total.

Pictures with wings - 0 = 0%
Pictures with skimpy 2-piece outfit (bikini or bra & panties) - 51 = 26.2%
Pictures at beach (sand and/or body of water) - 27 = 13.8%
Studio pictures (backdrop or solid background) - 63 = 32.3%

I’m not complaining, I have backdrops.  Just that it’s interesting how wings can be used in one photo out of perhaps several thousand, and it sticks with people (even to the point of irritation), while the beach is used so often that you can become numb to the regularity with which it shows up in pictures.  I haven’t read a thread about too many beach pictures (although I wouldn’t be surprised).

Oct 20 06 05:53 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

The beach is a natural earth setting no different than being on a mountain top or walking down a street. A bathing suit makes sense on a beach but kind of silly in the forrest or city street. Maybe wings on a human would make sense at the airport.

Oct 20 06 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Midnight Imaging

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

carlo Di Paolo wrote:
The beach is a natural earth setting no different than being on a mountain top or walking down a street. A bathing suit makes sense on a beach but kind of silly in the forrest or city street. Maybe wings on a human would make sense at the airport.

Do you think that the only role for photography is to be “natural” or perhaps serious?  To me, it’s perfectly OK that images are playful, fanciful, satirical, unnatural, political, parodies, shocking, and so on.

Oct 20 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Me , I am planning a shoot w Angel Wings and Handguns....

Oct 21 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Yuck. Totally overdone, even by Victoria's Secret. I'd love to get in on the shoot with angel wings and handguns, though.  Let's add a motorcycle and a lollipop with a bedsheet backdrop. Maybe a few knives too. Oh, and definitely fishnets.

Oct 21 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I only worry about what's in my own portfolio, generally.

mjr.

Oct 21 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Midnight Imaging wrote:

Do you think that the only role for photography is to be “natural” or perhaps serious?  To me, it’s perfectly OK that images are playful, fanciful, satirical, unnatural, political, parodies, shocking, and so on.

I have my share of silly, goofy, trash, and mistakes. On my own port, I have some cliche stuff that annoys me. So one may go through ideas, phases, whatever, but I prefer viewing images that reflect something of the human life experiance. Some of the famous, like Helmut Newton and VonUnworth have created many silly and funny images but their level of excellence is a good reason they are famous. Heck, Herb Ritts had those man with wings on the beach that were technically very good, but I still found those compleatly silly.

Oct 21 06 12:51 pm Link

Model

TREVOR WAYNE

Los Angeles, California, US

Tuesday Rene wrote:
What about bat wings?

haha,, when I hear batwings I think of the dirty term used to describe ...hah nevermind dont wanna get kicked off here,,,but I dont think anyone wants a photo of that type of batwings anyway....

Oct 21 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I like buffalo wings and hooters....uh...I mean from Hooters

Oct 21 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

K. Holden wrote:
Yuck. Totally overdone, even by Victoria's Secret. I'd love to get in on the shoot with angel wings and handguns, though.  Let's add a motorcycle and a lollipop with a bedsheet backdrop. Maybe a few knives too. Oh, and definitely fishnets.

I have all that. Let's go!

Which wings, do you think? I have white feather ones, black feather ones, and these totally bad-ass black rubber ones. I'll let you decide. The motorcycle and the lollipop are red and black, though so I think you'll want to color-coordinate.

mjr.

Oct 21 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

it's not necessarily or automatically a bad thing... as with any subject matter, it can be overdone or done badly... but done with some sense of story they can turn out rather interesting...
quite honestly when the model first asked me about shooting her with wings, i thought... ah... no... but then when i thought about black wings and a long flowing dress but done up dramatically with a story i figured this could be good... it's got a lot of good response and feedback and i'm not ashamed to have my name attached to it...
judge for yourselves... though i know most angel wing haters will probably not like it anyway...
https://img2.modelmayhem.com/051017/21/4354a06d11e14.jpg

Oct 21 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

You're right. I think it would be an awesome shot if it weren't for the wings. I do have to admit, it's a great shot regardless...at least technically. xx

Oct 21 06 05:42 pm Link