Forums > General Industry > Angel Wings?

Photographer

Utopium Photography

Bethesda, Maryland, US

I'm usually not one to rant, but does it bother anyone else when you see a model wearing angel wings in a photo? I always see it as something that just looks cheap and not really serious.

Aug 02 05 10:44 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

I actually like the angel wing Idea, it always reminds me of VS. but hey to each is own....big_smile

Aug 02 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Cristan

Miami, Florida, US

It depends how its shoot, it can look cheesy as you say or it can look fantastic, but that goes for most anything

Aug 02 05 10:48 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

Posted by Cristan: 
It depends how its shoot, it can look cheesy as you say or it can look fantastic, but that goes for most anything

I agree.  But i prefer fairy wings anyways lol

Aug 02 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Nat Meo: 
I'm usually not one to rant, but does it bother anyone else when you see a model wearing angel wings in a photo?

Wow, you're very sensitive, aren't you?

mjr.

Aug 02 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tuesday Rene

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky, US

What about bat wings?

Aug 02 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Angel wings = Erinye

Bat wings =  Succubus

One controls one man, and the other controls many.

If done well, it's beautiful. If done poorly, pure cheese.

Aug 02 05 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i have a problem with anything overdone or cheesy. i've done a few angel wing shots and plan to do more. i'm very selective about the concept, the execution and what the wings look like. nothing worse than something that looks like a $10 costume shop job--unless that's the point. but hell, i've seen more cheesy swimsuit shots and girls in bikini fatigues than all the crappy angel wing shots put together.

i've got a couple of images in my mm portfolio. let me know if theys pass the nat cheapo test.

Aug 02 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Yeah, but that applies to virtually anything.

mjr.

Aug 02 05 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Utopium Photography

Bethesda, Maryland, US

Those pass since you blurred them out to give a more surreal look. Usually most of the stuff I see looks cheap and just trying to mimic VS pictures.

Aug 02 05 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

VERY lame, cliche, cheesy and stupid.

... Unless I do it, because I freakin' ROCK and I can make an overdone idea look cool as hell.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050421/1/4268647a41ec5.jpg

Aug 03 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by Nat Meo: 
I'm usually not one to rant, but does it bother anyone else when you see a model wearing angel wings in a photo? I always see it as something that just looks cheap and not really serious.

You could add angel wings to this thread.

Aug 03 05 12:22 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Nat, I see from your profile that you've turned into a female...

Aug 03 05 12:23 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Marcus J. Ranum: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Yeah, but that applies to virtually anything.

mjr.

That's true. Although I guess the more examples we see of something, the higher our standards get, so it becomes more difficult to rise to the top. (I know, I know, that applies to everything too.)

Aug 03 05 12:30 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have talked about how awful that is in the past (mostly to my patient and understanding friends), and how I would never do it...but some phenomenal photographers can apparently pull it off. (Bruce Caine in particular) I think that fluffy angel wings almost always look junky, and unless that is the intended effect...don't do it. But,  I also have a wing fascination, and would like to see some cool wing pictures. but not angels or fairies. Maybe wings are better in paintings?

Aug 03 05 01:13 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

We will all be fascinated by angel wings for as long as we either believe or don't believe in them. And a couple of the most beautiful movies ever made on the subject were made by Wim Wenders. The 1987  Wings of Desire (in which Peter Falk played Peter Falk) was followed by the 1993 Far Away, So Close in which Gorbachev played Gorbachev and Lou Reed played Lou Reed.

Aug 03 05 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Well, I think this image would look wierd without the angel wings...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/200504 … 8554e8.jpg

Posted by Nat Meo: 

Aug 03 05 01:30 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Angel wings are so overdone. Every once in a while a good wings shot shows up, but it is very, very rare. Even Victoria's Secret has dumped the feathery wings.

Aug 03 05 01:33 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Theda I have a particularly keen appreciation of angels and angel wings when the nipples are showing.

Aug 03 05 01:34 am Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

haha you do it so well Eric.this is one of My all time fav angel wing images.because the wings like the models are amazing.
But I hate seeing really cheap looking wings.that to Me is what can make or break an angel wing shot to get back on topic here ha and off the praise of the almighty Eric.*lol*
xxx
MP

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

... Unless I do it, because I freakin' ROCK and I can make an overdone idea look cool as hell.

Aug 03 05 01:36 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I found my favorite erinye.

https://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:5hJAxgcbPUAJ:draax.free.fr/Images/Full/dit_erinye.jpg

Aug 03 05 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Utopium Photography

Bethesda, Maryland, US

Posted by Lora: 
Nat, I see from your profile that you've turned into a female...

I have no idea why it says that. I've contacted the site administrator to fix it but so far they haven't responded and there is no place in my account settings to change it.

Aug 03 05 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

victoria's secret called, they want their wings back...

Aug 03 05 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by Nat Meo: 
Those pass since you blurred them out to give a more surreal look. Usually most of the stuff I see looks cheap and just trying to mimic VS pictures.

ahh....thank god they pass. i was having a rough time sleeping last night wondering if the photographs would.

i don't think most people are trying to imitate victoria's secret--i think it's actually the opposite. photographers have been playing around with wings long/ before victoria's secret made it cheesy. vs simply co-opted a good idea done by good fashion photographers. now everyone associates scantilly clad women with wings with vs. of course, a crappy shot of any kind is only the resposibility of the crapper.

like a few of my friends, i started messing around with angel wing ideas long before vs. i just don't have a cataloge or a budget to air :30 spots to share my images with the universe.

Aug 03 05 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

oh lapis, you always know the right thing to say.  wink thanks.

Aug 03 05 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by alexwh: 
Theda I have a particularly keen appreciation of angels and angel wings when the nipples are showing.

alex, you know where to find wings with nipples!!??  i want names!

Aug 03 05 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Aug 03 05 07:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Bruce, I guess your shot with the angel wings in ok...

Aug 03 05 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Havoc Brand

Crown Point, Indiana, US

Alot of the issue comes in the quality of the wings... as well as how there shot. Now if you want some really kewl wings contact MM#23718 she works with a number of different stage shows and does some really kewl stuff with wings for Faeries and Angels...

Aug 03 05 09:28 am Link

Photographer

shabaka

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

Greetings,

I don't really like the "wings" concepts.

Take care,
AJ

Aug 03 05 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Hailey

Round Rock, Texas, US

BLAH - I like my wings. You know what they say about opinions...

Aug 03 05 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by Tracey Masterson: 
Bruce, I guess your shot with the angel wings in ok...

yeah, i know how on the fence you are about that one particular image...

you are such a smart ass tracey.  smile

Aug 03 05 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by shabaka: 

I don't really like the "wings" concepts.

then i guess you are going to hell...  mmwwuuaaaahaha!!

Aug 03 05 09:43 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

So many religions,  stories,  and myths have angels.  So much in the history of art has images of wings.   Add the desire to fly and the dreams of flying.  Personally I have a recurring dream where I can fly if I flap my arms.   

Not very high but usually tree top level.  No wings on me though,  just the ability to hover and fly a bit.

Just as so many other thing,  when done badly it is bad. 

But I thought it was required and a rule that you Had to,  HAD TO have at least one wing shot in your on line portfolio.    I do art work based on myths and religions so it is hard for it NOT to come up from time to time. 

But the bad ones remind me of a certain view of Lucifer and why he was thrown from Heaven.    I believe it is the Muslim or Mideast interpretation of the story of the events.   God told the Angels to only love him.   Then he made earth and man.   He then commanded the Angels to love man.   A group of Angels lead by Lucifer said No,  we will not love man,  we will only love you our God.   God became angry and threw them from Heaven forever.   Lucifer and the others were guilty of loving TOO MUCH.   A sin that is often committed in our own lives. 

Maybe we just love wings too much.

(But I really thought it was a rule.)

Aug 03 05 09:52 am Link

Photographer

TJsPhotography

East Prairie, Missouri, US

angel rocks when it is used in that one awsoem way

Aug 03 05 09:54 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

DUDE! YOU ROCK!!!!

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Aug 03 05 10:12 am Link

Photographer

shabaka

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

Greetings,

No I am not...I have glory!...Besides angels don't have wings...that is just a man made conception....they have a glow and in early prints angles where repersented by their feet being on fire.  That being said I still going to use my blah opinion to restate that I don't like "wing"s on models as a concept...the wings by themselves my be cool or on a horse...I have never seen a real live Pegasus.

Take care and God Bless,
AJ

Aug 03 05 10:13 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Posted by MHana: 

But I thought it was required and a rule that you Had to,  HAD TO have at least one wing shot in your on line portfolio.   

I think the rule was to have one shot of the model on the railroad tracks with.....her nipples showing.

Aug 03 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Shabaka the whole concept of angels (when they are to be seen) is a man made concept. In the bible they have male names. For St Thomas Aquinas, angels were the transition between humans (body and soul or spirit) to God (pure and perfect spirit) . Angels were in-between all-spirit beings with some limitations. Thus you can paint them and photograph them in whichever way you want. Those goth people sometimes forget that Satan was one of the most "beautiful" angels of them all and there is no reason to "see" him with tail and horns.

Aug 03 05 10:22 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

On the other hand if angel wings were attached to the back as we see in so many photographs leaving arms free, there is no way those wings would ever be able to flap. I would just say that angels have mastered the art of levitation or simply know how to use anti-gravity. For me the perfect angel is and was Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn.....

Aug 03 05 10:24 am Link