Forums > General Industry > Angel Wings?

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Posted by alexwh: 
is a man made concept. 

There is something other than a man made concept?

If you really had to flap the wings with your arms then you could not hold anything.  Many myths tell of stories of winged creatures holding things.  Not all winged creatures are Angels.

The idea of the horns came from a mistranslation of writings.  It was read as horns but it was supposed to be rays of light.   (then again maybe that is wrong.)

Aug 03 05 10:25 am Link

Photographer

shabaka

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

Posted by MHana: 

Posted by alexwh: 
is a man made concept. 

There is something other than a man made concept?

Greetings,

Women develop concepts. So yes there is something other than a man made concept.

Take care,
AJ

Aug 03 05 10:29 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by alexwh: 
On the other hand if angel wings were attached to the back as we see in so many photographs leaving arms free, there is no way those wings would ever be able to flap. I would just say that angels have mastered the art of levitation or simply know how to use anti-gravity. For me the perfect angel is and was Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn.....

I agree. It's also silly when they have shirts on they couldn't possibly put on over wings.

Aug 03 05 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's also silly when they have shirts on they couldn't possibly put on over wings.

you've got to get up to new york more often.  you obviously have missed out on the "winged and tall" shops that line the streets of the west villiage. they will even custom tailor the wing holes for you...

Aug 03 05 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by DawnElizabeth: 

Posted by MHana: 

But I thought it was required and a rule that you Had to,  HAD TO have at least one wing shot in your on line portfolio.   

I think the rule was to have one shot of the model on the railroad tracks with.....her nipples showing.

dawn, i like you better every day.

Aug 03 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Bruce Caines: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

It's also silly when they have shirts on they couldn't possibly put on over wings.

you've got to get up to new york more often.  you obviously have missed out on the "winged and tall" shops that line the streets of the west villiage. they will even custom tailor the wing holes for you...

I should be up there later this month. I'll see if I can find an angel to go shopping with!

Aug 03 05 10:46 am Link

Photographer

BluesteelPhoto

Harrisburg, Arkansas, US

Thanks.. I have like 5 shots of angel wings on my site..

Aug 03 05 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Bruce Caines: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I should be up there later this month. I'll see if I can find an angel to go shopping with!

Just swing by the angel district on 9th between 37th and 39th.

My favorite angel wing photography comes from Dogma, after Affleck's wings were shot off by Jay.

Aug 03 05 12:54 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Angel wings = Erinye

Bat wings =  Succubus

One controls one man, and the other controls many.

If done well, it's beautiful. If done poorly, pure cheese.

You know.. with some FX make-up and some digital altering.. that would make a damn good idea for a picture.. o.o

Aug 03 05 01:15 pm Link

Model

NameRemovedPerUser

Perrysburg, New York, US

I like wearing wings... because it's fun... it's fantasy...
Why does photography have to be all reality or all realistic.  Yes I've seen some pretty crappy wings. I've seen some great wings (very few people can afford the really great wings or would want to spend the money on them).

Everyone has their own style, their own likes and dislikes and their own pet peves. smile Makes life more interesting that way.

Aug 03 05 01:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

Merrillville, Indiana, US

Posted by DrifterStudios: 
Alot of the issue comes in the quality of the wings... as well as how there shot.

This is true...wings in photos need to be well blended with the surroundings, however that may be because every situation is different.  The wings need to be believable to the viewer in order to not seem so cheesy, because many people love to believe in fantasy.  I completely understand how some photo's can seem cheesy with wings, and have seen them myself.  I just think its the whole composition, as well as the quality of the wing artistry....that can make or break it.  smile

Aug 05 05 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Rodgers

DELAND, Florida, US

Angel wings had their moment in front of the camera. And for the most part they were a nice prop, and probably still is in some portraiture.  However, in my opinion, I think it is overdone now.

Aug 05 05 07:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

What about faery wings?  Perhaps the angel wings have been more mainstreamed than faery....i.e. Victoria's secret ads....and thus, more overused?
Just a thought...
smile

Aug 06 05 10:23 am Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Angel wings = Erinye

Bat wings =  Succubus

One controls one man, and the other controls many.

hahahahah youre awesome

Aug 06 05 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

Now, if you can do pictures with wings (be they fairy, angel, devil, etc...) without the annoying straps that most of them have. That sounds like it'd be a little easier to look at. (it's always the straps that annoy me)

Aug 07 05 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I've only ever done it once...just a couple months ago.  I wasn't sure what to do with the idea, so i stayed basic...People seem to like the result, which you can currently see on my port.  I'm in no hurry to try the idea again though -- too busy working on my shibari skills.

Aug 07 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Larisa Burdeynaya: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

hahahahah youre awesome

*waves*

Aug 07 05 01:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

One year for Halloween, I made an amazing pair of black wings with these irridescent jewels on them.  I was the Victoria's Secret Arch angel.  The whole costume was killer.  And I carried around a platter with a reproduction of Heidi Klum's head on it, surrounded by appetizers. 

Aug 07 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Tracey Masterson: 
One year for Halloween, I made an amazing pair of black wings with these irridescent jewels on them.  I was the Victoria's Secret Arch angel.  The whole costume was killer.  And I carried around a platter with a reproduction of Heidi Klum's head on it, surrounded by appetizers.   

Now there is a photo!

Aug 07 05 01:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

nice angel wing pic, MM2081....I can't see the straps....thats good...smile

Aug 08 05 03:00 am Link

Photographer

chas fenoughty

London, Arkansas, US

I love Angel wings.

It can be cheesy but so what - if you can do it well why not.

I hope I do it well ; )

Aug 08 05 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'd like to see a photo with Orca fins rather than angel wings.

(Inspired by the sentence, "The whole costume was killer.")

Aug 08 05 03:14 am Link

Model

Neptune

Los Angeles, California, US

Don't angel wings just make you want to gouge your eyes out!!! (guess my pics will make you wanna kill yourself) just kidding, thought this was an interesting thread. I hate that it bothers people so...we're just trying to secure our ticket to heaven. K

Aug 08 05 06:53 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Posted by Nat Meo: 
I'm usually not one to rant, but does it bother anyone else when you see a model wearing angel wings in a photo? I always see it as something that just looks cheap and not really serious.

I'm with you there...

I pretty much hate those things... along with fake brick walls, and loud blotchy muslins draped all over the place, and shot with a pair of umbrellas at 45º's.. ....hmmmm...that and photos with train tracks..  :-p

JP

Aug 08 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
VERY lame, cliche, cheesy and stupid.

... Unless I do it, because I freakin' ROCK and I can make an overdone idea look cool as hell.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050421/1/4268647a41ec5.jpg

Now, if you are going to do it, this is definitely how it should be done!  This freakin' picture is off the meter!

Aug 08 05 04:49 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Justin N Lane wrote:
victoria's secret called, they want their wings back...

sorry but mine are kinda attached to me

Aug 08 05 07:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Neptune wrote:
Don't angel wings just make you want to gouge your eyes out!!! (guess my pics will make you wanna kill yourself) just kidding, thought this was an interesting thread. I hate that it bothers people so...we're just trying to secure our ticket to heaven. K

Awww, I love that!

Aug 08 05 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Christofer Rodriguez

San Bernardino, California, US

I'm not sure what # she is but find "Azrielle." You may just change your mind. I did.

Aug 08 05 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Unless there is a theme (aside from the Victoria Secrets "girls must look pretty" schtick) where the wings are essential, the wings IMHO just look tacky or overused or never done well.

Aug 11 05 11:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faythe jaxmua

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I believe that it depends on the photographer and how he shoots the image with the angel wings I have seen both fake and amazing pictures. I just worked on a fairy project and am now devoted to useing fairy wings.

Aug 13 05 11:06 pm Link

Model

Sky Above

Nat Meo wrote:
I'm usually not one to rant, but does it bother anyone else when you see a llama wearing angel wings in a photo? I always see it as something that just looks cheap and not really serious.

You have no idea how much I hate angel wings...I'd like to take all the rope I see in some pics and wrap it around the wings...NOW that would be a pic!

Sorry...some of 'em are nice..but it is so overdone..please no more!

Aug 13 05 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Utopium Photography wrote:
I'm usually not one to rant, but does it bother anyone else when you see a model wearing angel wings in a photo? I always see it as something that just looks cheap and not really serious.

Have you seen this season's Diesel jeans' ad campaign? Angel wings figure quite prominently.

Oct 17 06 04:20 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

i think the angel wings are extremely lame and overdone.  i dont know whats worse, angel wings in shots, or belts across the breasts lol, both horribly overdone and both which have never really made a shot in any way

Oct 17 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

How about just creating a faint impression of wings with the background?

https://img3.modelmayhem.com/060224/20/43ffbd2f43e2d.jpg

Oct 17 06 07:38 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

For angel wings in an artistic shoot: Play it up with yellow light, maybe covered with shiny gold fabric for ambience, have the model wear nothing but angel wings with the tips pointed upward, and holding some kind of "globe", arching slightly back, and, "voila", you have an "Emmy" statue.

Oct 17 06 08:38 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I think it really depends on the way the photograph is shot (as someone else stated somewhere above this post). I have seen some that are exquisite and others that look like mere ad's for a halloween costume.

I have a thing for angels (my personal angels have charcoal, tattered wings but eh, you know....) and collect photographs that are well thought out and made to look realistic. I would like to see more of the darker angel though. There are plenty of fluffy white pillowy types but what of those who have fallen? tee hee. wink

Oct 17 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mystical Allusions

Rockford, Illinois, US

I must have never seen it done well because to me it says amatuer imature whacko!

Oct 17 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Dewey Scheel wrote:
I must have never seen it done well because to me it says amatuer imature whacko!

Speaking of whacko...the bobblehead is frightening! *wink*

Oct 17 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Dewey Scheel wrote:

Did you check out the Diesel Jeans ads?

Oct 18 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Utopium Photography wrote:

So .... those aren't real angels???

;(

Oct 18 06 01:44 am Link