Forums > General Industry > Craziest thing that have happened on a shoot

Photographer

Southwest Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Last week I fell backwards off a log I was standing on, rolled about 20 feet, and the whole time I was worried more about my camera than what might happen to me.

Jul 04 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It wasn't a Red Rider lever action!!  It was a .45 auto!  And there's been a rash of breakins by guys with maskes and striped shirts!

-PKD

Jul 05 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

How do you qualify crazy though?? So many strange things happen on most of my shoots...it's a strange thing to begin with...usually you're bringing people all made up and in perfect clothes in to the middle of nowhere...with about 10 other people who are doing various things, and a bunch of camera equipment...  It just sounds like the perfect setup for a joke to begin with.

Funniest thing to ever happen on a shoot was when I was riding in the back of a Snowcat with a bunch of the crew.  End of a long shoot day, so we were all squished in and sitting on top of equipment and merch.  The producer grabs this rented snowboarding helmet, and plops it on her head and then starts doing this bit about riding the short bus and hitting her head on *everything* and everyone.

Strangest? I dunno...there are so many, but they're really more of interpersonal relationship type strange...

Oddest? The model who would only eat baby spinach *ONLY BABY SPINACH* only HER baby spinach and only with her own fork and knife.

Jul 05 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Funniest thing to ever happen on a shoot was when I was riding in the back of a Snowcat with a bunch of the crew.  End of a long shoot day, so we were all squished in and sitting on top of equipment and merch.  The producer grabs this rented snowboarding helmet, and plops it on her head and then starts doing this bit about riding the short bus and hitting her head on *everything* and everyone.

And?......

Jul 05 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

i was living in LA in an artist loft,it was morning,  i had printed shots that looked like the nightstalker crime scenes, really gruesome stuff, it was to be used in the police station wall in the movie. they were all over my work table,   I also had a metal game show contraption set up for a shoot,  with flashing lights everywhere. That same morning , my cat instead of using the litter box, took a dump in my shower,so  i took the bath mat out of the shower and tried to clean it,  but it smeared, i was going to clean it outside,  so i set it down under the game show area.

Then a new neighbor knocked on the door to introduce herself,  i was nice but i didnt explain anything,  i could see she was looking around to figure out what the hell i was doing, and i thought that was pretty funny.

Jul 05 06 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

rp_photo wrote:

Didn't you learn anything from Ralphie?

https://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/031223/031223_christmasstory_hmed_11a.hmedium.jpg

Great reply!!

Jul 05 06 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Only one sort of funny thing happen and I was the dork. We were shooting across a river from a military base. I'm taking pictures and minding my own freaking business and all of a sudden there is this huuuuge freaking explosion. The kind that rattles your ribs. I almost peed my pants, got all pale and shaky. In the meantime the model and her friend were cool as cucumbers and laughing at me. Turns out they were both military brats and used to that crap. The mushroom cloud of dust from that explosion must have been 20 stories high.

Jul 05 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Garry k wrote:
And?......

Ok, for those of us that *don't* live in the great white north (I was just in BC two weeks ago! Whistler is such a beautiful area)...riding in the back of a snow cat is not a normal experience.  Also for those of you in BC your Snowcats are HUGE!!!!  The ones that Canadian Snowmobile rents are 25 seats...the ones in Mammoth, CA are only maybe 8 seaters in the back

Jul 05 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

just one of my experiences people do the weirdest things when there nude photo 18+

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/3/3/9/1/3391/868159-large.jpg

Jul 05 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

nathan combs wrote:
just one of my experiences people do the weirdest things when there nude photo 18+

http://www.usefilm.com/image/868159.html

re-directs to the homepage.

Jul 05 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I was in the middle of a shoot in a public park and a girl was having the "your history" discussion with her soon to be ex-BF.  Said BF apparently decided that was just cause for dragging her out of the car and "whomping on her." While a bunch of people have told me that I was nuts for intervening because he could have had a gun, etc., I am just not one to sit around watching a 21 year old girl get her face punched in. I threw my camera to the model I was working with and took off after him. As I did, a couple of guys who were playing tennis in a nearby court joined me. Mr. Tough Guy was all of a sudden not such a bad ass and took off running. The Parish Sherriffs did capture him and I told all that I would testify in a heartbeat but I have never heard from any of them.

The good news is that she was ok and the shoot turned out really well!

Jul 06 06 12:44 am Link

Model

Montaine

Andrew Kaiser wrote:
I got nearly arrested and was put in the back of a police car once with hand cuffs on. 

Granted, I was shooting a nude in the middle of the night on the side of a church so I kind of figure I got off light on that one.

Hahahahaha! That's funny. Unique idea though

Jul 06 06 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Fotosbymike

Sarasota, Florida, US

I took a model to a wooded area on a golf course where I live. It was late afternoon and most golfers had been done for the day. I was lining up my shot when a golf ball wizzed right by my ear and almost hit the model in the head...We both kind of stared at each other for a few seconds, then shrugged and started shooting.

But the best part, was seeing the expression on the face of the golfer when he came into the woods looking for his ball, only to see a Playboy model standing there in nothing but a pair of panties!! He stared at her for a minute with his mouth open then with a small whisper asked, "Is this heaven?"

Jul 06 06 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Thomas Watkin wrote:
Oh, I forgot.

Almost got arrested at a "workshop" in San Diego by California state park rangers. I was with 7 other photographers at a state park. The workshop organizer said he had shot at that location dozens of times. Turns out the three nude models posing on rocks were not to the liking of the local Boy Scout troop leader...our workshop leader had picked the site of a boy scout jamboree to set up his shoot.

I asked for my money back, but didn't get it.

For you, a dedication in song:

http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/ly … amonga.txt

Well our counselor said we could take them by surprise
If we didn't say a word till we looked them in the eyes
We kept real still and we had our eyes aglued
We saw how they were dressed they were SHOOTING in the
Well now...

Jul 06 06 07:13 am Link

Photographer

azdave

Bitter Springs, Arizona, US

A model was smoking in the back of the car on the way back from a photo-shoot
she must have fell asleep...........the floor board and back seat began to burn
We noticed smoke and she started screaming
luckly we were near phoenix....................................................................
she started throughing burning pellows and blankets out the open window
I pulled over to a ditch and we started splashing water into the car and got the fire out.

Jul 07 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Fleur Susannah

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I did a shoot where (amazingly) I was actually modelling.  It was for a friend of mine and involved lots of old TVs and computer monitors along a beach.  We ended up with five TVs in the water and me walking along them like stepping stones.  Unfortunately, they were all trying to float out to sea at the time and I ended up falling off one and getting a quite impressive scar on my foot when the TV in question rolled over me.

Jul 07 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

The only real weird thing that ever happened to me was when I did not have my camera. Passed a cinema in Glasgow, Scotland, under the entrance canopy sheltering from the rain were 6 mounted police. Above them in 5 foot high lettering was the name of the movie, "The Wild Bunch". Now I always carry a small point & shoot camera no matter where I am, but I know an opportunity like that will never happen again.

Jul 07 06 02:22 am Link

Artist/Painter

bijan studio

TARZANA, California, US

hmm, not sure if I can say this here. I will have to censor it.

I shot a model in my studio on a beach setup. I had real sand in it. She was nude and had baby oil on. After the shoot she said I got sand all over. So I helped her to get the sand off of her back and she did the rest.
I went to upload the pictures to my computer and she calls me again and says "I got sand in my vagina and I can't take them off". She had this flirty smile on. I said, hmm, well, I could probebly take it off. She responds with that a soft sexy voice "oh yea? how are you gonna do that"?

I think I should stop here.

Jul 07 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Last night I froze a girl's butt to a stainless steel toilet with dry ice.

Jul 07 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

Nikky

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

well 4 me i was doin a shoot and feel backwrd off a tree stump and fractured my wrist tht was a fun experience, but i countinued the shoot big_smile

Jul 07 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

na52

never had too many models come on to me (cept for a couple of girlfriends-doesnt count) but I did shoot a girl out on a rocky river bed while her boyfriend helped and gave some pretty good ideas (very rare). While i was changing rolls of film, they just got frisky and started doing the wild thing there on the rocks (ouch) in front of me, god, and everyone else (just one more couple). I waited till they were done, asked "you guys feel better?" then went back to work. I think I was about to have a heart attack though.[/b]

you didn't shoot them?
they probably wanted some pics of themselves going at it!

Jul 07 06 01:36 pm Link

Artist/Painter

bijan studio

TARZANA, California, US

Tiara LeAnne wrote:

never had too many models come on to me (cept for a couple of girlfriends-doesnt count) but I did shoot a girl out on a rocky river bed while her boyfriend helped and gave some pretty good ideas (very rare). While i was changing rolls of film, they just got frisky and started doing the wild thing there on the rocks (ouch) in front of me, god, and everyone else (just one more couple). I waited till they were done, asked "you guys feel better?" then went back to work. I think I was about to have a heart attack though.[/b]

wow. lol

Jul 07 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

i fell off a table at a group shoot in front of models and colleagues.

i hear it was quite a show, overall, but i had bruises on my legs and breasts from refusing to put my camera-filled hands down to break my fall for weeks.

Jul 07 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Cspine wrote:
Last night I froze a girl's butt to a stainless steel toilet with dry ice.

This has just caused all nearby co-workers to think I'm in need of emergency assistance as I've been trying unsuccessful to block the laughter!!

Jul 07 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

bijan studio wrote:
hmm, not sure if I can say this here. I will have to censor it.

I shot a model in my studio on a beach setup. I had real sand in it. She was nude and had baby oil on. After the shoot she said I got sand all over. So I helped her to get the sand off of her back and she did the rest.
I went to upload the pictures to my computer and she calls me again and says "I got sand in my vagina and I can't take them off". She had this flirty smile on. I said, hmm, well, I could probebly take it off. She responds with that a soft sexy voice "oh yea? how are you gonna do that"?

I think I should stop here.

Nice.  Very nice...

Jul 07 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

RobinCerutti

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Jul 07 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

orinxpress

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I was doing a photoshoot for Darla Slaven (now known as Darla Hahn, does the turbie twist and various fitness infomercials). She wasn't well-known at the time, so I came up with the idea of a lifestyle shoot because she wanted a commercial modeling zed card. We'd set up a "fishing" shot near a wild trout area in the San Gabriel river. Got all the props, road bikes along the fire road till we found a nice location.

She hopped out on the rocks into the middle of the stream, we did a shot like she was reeling in a big fish and then we were done. So she was sitting on the rock, when up from the water right by her crotch, a water snake comes out of the water like the Loch Ness monster with a fish in it's mouth. I didn't want to say anything because she might panic and fall into the river. The snake swam away onto the shore to eat his fish, and then I felt safe to tell her she had a snake inches away from her crotch.

Jul 08 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

A quick one from yesterday's shoot.

A gawker stops to watch. I try and strike up conversation and he seems shy. MUA speaks to him in Spanish. The conversation lights up. MUA tells me later that he hit on her in that language of love!

Model was fluent in Cambodian, which kept attention from her!

Jul 08 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

I was shooting Dillon Thomas in Hollywood and we were walking down this dirt path looking for the perfect little waterfall in a park/garden to shoot with when I sunk down to my knee in mud like quicksand.   and my shoe fell off.   ha ha

Jul 09 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremy I

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I was shooting a couple gals here and knock knock knock on the door was the police. Seems the neighbors were a bit nosey and we had some loud music going and were having a good time shooting.

Stand right there officer, look this way and say cheese... or not.

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a336/jigo/DSC_0070.jpg

Jul 09 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Iain Daddy

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

Jul 09 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Iain Daddy

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

Many moon's ago, pre Internet (yes there was such a time) I was assisting on a marketing shoot for a brochure, lots of little glass bottles, the kind of thing you would put perfume in. When we presented the work to the client they were very happy but wanted a few "key" images to highlight chapters in the catalogue.  Now we were in London and 400 miles from the studio so I was given a telephone and a ‘phone book and told to find a local studio with a darkroom and a model.  After a lot of phoning around I eventually found a studio with available space and models on site.  Now I should have known something was wrong when the proprietor asked if I would want to hire a camera.  It turned out that the "studio" was just a cover for a whorehouse.  We got some strange looks when we turned up with me carrying a box a bottles and asked for a table and a model with good hands...

We did get the shots and everyone was happy but the photographer never let me forget it.

Jul 09 06 06:00 pm Link