Forums > General Industry > European photographers vs. American photographers

Model

Muse Anya

Sunnyvale, California, US

Hate me if you dare, but I'm going to say it. (I couldn't find an old post about this, but tell me if there is.)

European photographers are better than American photographers.

Now, let me explain what I mean by better....
When I browse photographers here, the following is going through my mind:
"eh..... no.... wtf..... nice.... ok.... maybe if I was drunk (j/k).... what are they doing here?...... no..... no...... yeah, this one's cool!....... eh......"

And then I check out the European photographers, where the first one's good, and the next one's even better.

Their work has more intensity to it, it's a lot more visually grasping.  It also looks like there's a lot more thought process going on into making each image.  Yes, I am generalizing what is going on.

Of course, it must be taken into consideration that this site is based here, so it might not be as popular in the other hemisphere....  but have you seen European magazines??

Agree with me?  If so, why is this?

Disagree with me?  Go ahead, I'd love to hear your opinion as well!!

Take care all,
Anya

Jul 01 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

modaphoto

Los Angeles, California, US

If you have been to Europe it will change your idea of beauty. So asking on here you might not get a even amount of people that truly understand.

I thought I knew beauty, being born and raised in Malibu beach and So cal, I thought I knew beauty till I moved to Europe.

So I totaly agree with you.

We live in a cosmetic culture. Padding and make up.  Europe is first natural beauty.

The photographers, models are miles ahead of the typical Maxim FHM generic stuff
from the states. Our stuff all looks the same. Model with tons of make up, fake boobs, posing.

Your post is refreshing. I find that most all major high fashion is done by European
photographers. And the american photographers who shoot it live in New York and spend several weeks/months in Europe.

If you have never been to Europe, dont go thru this life without having gone there
atleast once. You will fall in love with all of it.

Jul 01 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

modaphoto

I know YOU have been, and born there. I am directing that others should go to
the readers.

Jul 01 06 09:43 pm Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

Europe has and maintains a tradition and history rich in culture. They are born, bred and live in a more conscious, natural way than we Americans do. And it reflects in their work, their life, their outlook, their photographs.

So far, I do agree with the original posters comments that European photographers do have the edge. To generally say one is better than another is not fair, as I've worked with some insanely talented US photographers. But there is another level of something much purer and different that I see coming out of Europe. And the European photographers I've worked with have been an absolute dream to shoot with. They are so much more focused, serious and really into the business of art in their work.

Fashion wise....basically everything originates in Paris or Milan and then comes to the US, in which New York is our comparable fashion hotspot.

The only thing the US has over Europe is we have Hollywood. There is no Hollywood equivalent in Europe...the glitter and glamour of the silver screen are truly US. And Hurrel was one of America's treasures, for sure.

Jul 01 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I dunno. When I can get my photographs to portray in reality the abstraction that I have in mind, it's a good day. I suppose if I'd been born in Spain or Italy or Norway, I'd be able to do that better. It's unprovable, though.

Jul 01 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

The same could probably be said about European models, in general of course tongue

Jul 01 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Seville Media

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I stopped using the word better because I strongly believe tht it's a matter of ones opinion but the European style of pretty much everything is extremely different then here in the States. I was born and raised in Europe so coming down here was a shoock to an extent. In my opinion, American styles, whether it be photogrphy, cars, packing is very bold and obvious. European seem to have a little more air and flare to it. I guess the best way to illustrate it would be to say that American style looks like IBM computers, while Euro is more like Apple.

Jul 01 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I think a couple things are in play in regards to this site, one being that there is a greater percentage of beginning US photographers than Europeans here.  So I think that affects perception.

Secondly, arts education in the US is for shit.  For many US citizens their idea of art comes from thumbing through a well used copy of FHM or Stuff magazine.  I'm horrified at the level of ignorance most people in the US have in regards to art history, architecture, art techniques, etc about the only place where there is an awareness of art culture is via mass media airwaves, and that's commercialized music, TV and motion picture.

Lastly, despite claims to the contrary, I don't really think most people in the US respect people that think too differently from the herd.  It makes folks nervous.   So does looking beneath the obvious and the surface.  Nuances and subtlety is weak, the US is all about bold and brash.

All these aspects have an affect upon the way people see their world and thus their attempts to express it.

Jul 01 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Alfredo Torres

Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico

No question European Photographers are better than American smile sorry..... Gueritos

Jul 01 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Gerry Hanan

Round Rock, Texas, US

Well I'm Irish (born in Dublin and emmigrated at 28) but I live in Texas so maybe one day I will be half good smile - but you should check out my friends work.  He has been shooting for around a year, he is from Spain but grew up in Australia and now lives in North Carolina https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=59023.

My father is an artist (pic of him in my profile) and I studied art in Secondary school and it was pretty intense in the depth of knowledge and it bored the _ out of me, but it was a fantastic grounding + you sound semi intelligent then at an opening night in a gallery and you feel the urge to make an 'artistic' comment on one of the pieces smile

Jul 01 06 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I don't think they are better.....just different in their outlook......and from what I've seen.....especially by some recent German photographers.....more in tune with form and graphic design.....

Jul 01 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

My only encounter with an European photographer was in a meeting at a designer's studio I rented a room from where I met the older German gentlemen with an astonishing reputation and internationally acclaimed status for being an absolute genius. And, he wanted to work with me. For Gods sake, his portfolio was absolutely amazing. I just wish I could remember his name...

...wtf am I dumb?

Jul 01 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

That is an generalization. I feel your pain, I come from a country just to the left of the country in which a lot of women have a name similar to yours. Coming from Europe I was disappointed by limited number of flavors of American photography. Evans, Weston, Winogrand, Karsh (chill Canadians), Eggleston, Mapplethorpe. Very chronological and literal stuff but nevertheless it reached levels of mastery that very few European photographers reached. There was no Rodchenko, Brandt, Man Ray (he was an American but not an American artist), Brassai just to mention a few names known in this country. There were many that Americans never heard of and even if they knew them they would have been relegated to the Saturday Night Live’s “Shprockets” category. For those not familiar with the reference: the “Shprockets” is a sketch parody of a, presumably  German, TV art show, on shown here on a popular comedy show called Saturday Night Live in which everyone is wearing black turtlenecks, smokes cigarettes, is very pretentious, artsy, and makes no sense at all.

It’s hard to talk about fashion photography because just like fast food and movie industry is very homogenized and by it’s nature shallow and vain. Still I think that French Vogue is much less Playboy than American Vogue. When I came to this country I was shocked that a, supposedly serious, film critic would bother to write about movies like one of the Star Wars episodes right after reviewing “Ran” by Kurosawa. Yes children I’m talking about mid eighties. To understand American culture you have to understand the concept of the “American junk” as one person explained it to me. American junk is democracy, it’s equality, it’s a culture that grew out of simple settlers of the west, descendents of slaves and immigrants from all over the world. European art is, as they say in business world, a top down paradigm - lazy, pretentious, bigoted aristocrats educating the masses which their ancestors starved to death just a couple hundred years ago. Neither one is better – they are just different.

You should consider yourself lucky, at least now there are "Sundance" and "IFC" channels on cable.

Jul 01 06 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

ART OF ARIANE wrote:
The only thing the US has over Europe is we have Hollywood. There is no Hollywood equivalent in Europe...the glitter and glamour of the silver screen are truly US. And Hurrel was one of America's treasures, for sure.

Spoken like a true American. You tell them girlfriend.

Jul 01 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

James Tennery

South Lake Tahoe, California, US

Every country in europe definetly has it's own syle and it is a matter of taste. It would be interesting to throw South American photographers into the equation. I have seen some amazing stuff coming from down south. and no I am not Latino (Irish American actually)

Jul 01 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Gerry Hanan wrote:
Well I'm Irish (born in Dublin and emmigrated at 28) but I live in Texas so maybe one day I will be half good smile -

From Dublin? Wait ... ehem... what's the story mate?

Jul 01 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

James Tennery wrote:
Every country in europe definetly has it's own syle and it is a matter of taste. It would be interesting to throw South American photographers into the equation. I have seen some amazing stuff coming from down south. and no I am not Latino (Irish American actually)

Yes and to add to that Japan China Korea and Vietnam.  And no I'm NOT just talking fashion magazines.

Jul 01 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

James Tennery wrote:

There are other places that we don't know squat about. Asia, Africa. I'm sure they must have a couple of photographers there.

*edit* he beat me to it

Jul 01 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I think a couple things are in play in regards to this site, one being that there is a greater percentage of beginning US photographers than Europeans here.  So I think that affects perception.

Secondly, arts education in the US is for shit.  For many US citizens their idea of art comes from thumbing through a well used copy of FHM or Stuff magazine.  I'm horrified at the level of ignorance most people in the US have in regards to art history, architecture, art techniques, etc about the only place where there is an awareness of art culture is via mass media airwaves, and that's commercialized music, TV and motion picture.

Lastly, despite claims to the contrary, I don't really think most people in the US respect people that think too differently from the herd.  It makes folks nervous.   So does looking beneath the obvious and the surface.  Nuances and subtlety is weak, the US is all about bold and brash.

All these aspects have an affect upon the way people see their world and thus their attempts to express it.

Well,

I reside in the Califronia bay area. The area is more European influence. There are alot of art museums here and the school that I'm attending is most definetly into the European art. As a matter of fact it is required by us art majors to take Art History classes.

While the European art is different, I'm not really impressed. Imo, there is alot of hype on the culture and history there. Leonardo and the others, big deal.

But when compared to American culture there is a big difference. I think that alot of it has to do with the roots of religion here in this country. This country is more like Northern Europe. A Prodestant country that ver the years controlled how things are viewed here. From sexual content that was taboo for many years and over in Europe isn't a big deal at all.

Now that the U.S. has gotten away from some of those things that are referred to as taboo, people have lost their minds too the point of superficial is the norm here. Sex sells. Sold different here than in the U.S.

Europe itself is a continent that is a borrower of alot of ideas from different parts of the world, paticularly Egypt. Greece and their knowldege and art origins are from Eygpt. The Moors actually brought Europe out of the Dark Ages and into the Renaisannce.

Jul 01 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

modaphoto

ART OF ARIANE wrote:

Jul 01 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

modaphoto

ART OF ARIANE wrote:

Hollywood is our problem not our benifit. That is what ruins our culture.
Hollywood tells girls you need to look like this, you need to have big boobs, you need
a divorce, you need a murder, you need to cheat, lie, steal.

This is the only country in the world (USA) that our life orbits around what TV.
TV sucks and nowhere in the world will you find them watching it each day then trying
to be like those seen on TV.

But again, dont believe me. If you have NEVER spent anytime ( more than a week or two) in a foriegn country you wont have a clue to what I am trying to discribe.

Hollywood is the problem. 

A woman was quoted in the newspaper back in the 1960's saying
" if you watch how many divorces Hollywood shows on TV, you would think everyone is getting a divorce".   

That was back in the 60's.
And now everyone is getting divorces.
1 out of every 2 marriages in the US end in divorce.
(no) thank you Hollywood

Jul 01 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

Europe's apprach to Fashion is much different. In fact I pride myself on looking at more of European fashion magazines then I do on American ones. The style is different. I tend to shoot on that school of thought. Getting models however is not always easy as the images seem differen then what they are used to getting from their other shoots. But I still post and ask..... and ocasioanly get some great work with models that can recognize the difference.

-Marek

Jul 01 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

ART OF ARIANE wrote:

WORD!!!!

Noir is something that is truely American. Just like Jazz and to a certain extent Rock and Roll. Rap is totally American. These influences have infultrated photography and give it something that Erope can only try to emulate.

Not to mention Americans have a more "commercial" and "slick" view of things. Eropenas are more "arty"

Another worthless 2 cents...

-S

Jul 02 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Anyutik69 wrote:

Alfredo Torres wrote:
No question European Photographers are better than American smile sorry

Non, non, et non! We're not "better",..., we're simply different!

Don't forget that our experiences & the values which shaped them have too been different, same for the audience who looks at our work.

Having lived in France for years, now living in Texas, the agency work I create here (USA) is simply governed by different things; back in France I will shoot otherwise.

FML

Jul 02 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Here is my portrait of one of my my faves Elliott Erwitt who was born in Paris. He is best known for his big dog (just its legs) small dog photo. But my favourite is a triptych.

1. A man is surrounded by people in the street. The man is talking to them. A dog is on one side.
2. Same as in 1. except dog urinates (I don't remember if it is a fire plug)
3. Same as in 1 except dog is walking away from frame.

This photograph works on many levels including how unimportant we humans are in the scheme of things.

But best of all you then find out the man is Nelson Rockefeller and he is running for vice president of the US!
https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/alexwh12/ElliottErwitt.jpg

Jul 02 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

And there is another European-born (Latvia)  photographer that just a few might recall. Philippe Halsman took 101 Life Magazine covers and is best known for his iconic portrait of Einstein. Even fewer might recall his glorious Life cover of an unknown starlet called Grace Kelly. It was Halsman who discovered her and convinced those at Life to put her on the cover. Halsman's wife, Yvonne is much alive and really protects her husband's copyright so few of his pictures are on the web. I don't have the time to scan one from my Halsman book.
Alexwh

Jul 02 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Muse Anya

Sunnyvale, California, US

FML-Photography wrote:
Having lived in France for years, now living in Texas, the agency work I create here (USA) is simply governed by different things; back in France I will shoot otherwise.

FML

Please explain.

Jul 02 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

The irony is that Europe eats up our Hollywood driven culture, not to mention our McD's fast food. Most of the ROW as well. I prefer variety.

Listing individual artists that confirm or deny the generalization doesn't go too far, I mean it's a generalization after all, but I love to think about their work when I hear the names, lol. (or look them up if I haven't heard of them)

Jul 02 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm a relative newby to photography, and I learn a lot from the net and observing other people's great work. But in this thead, I think I've seen one link as an example of a European photographer's work. I'd love some links or something. Otherwise, this will just turn into an anti American rant. Help us novices out please. I'll start with one outstanding photographer...Fotorat! Don't know his MM# but it's easy enough to look up. Any others?
Mayhem #7367

Jul 04 06 01:49 am Link

Model

Marie P

Anyutik69 wrote:
Hate me if you dare, but I'm going to say it. (I couldn't find an old post about this, but tell me if there is.)

Now, let me explain what I mean by better....
When I browse photographers here, the following is going through my mind:
"eh..... no.... wtf..... nice.... ok.... maybe if I was drunk (j/k).... what are they doing here?...... no..... no...... yeah, this one's cool!....... eh......"

And then I check out the European photographers, where the first one's good, and the next one's even better.

Their work has more intensity to it, it's a lot more visually grasping.  It also looks like there's a lot more thought process going on into making each image.  Yes, I am generalizing what is going on.

Of course, it must be taken into consideration that this site is based here, so it might not be as popular in the other hemisphere....  but have you seen European magazines??

Agree with me?  If so, why is this?

Disagree with me?  Go ahead, I'd love to hear your opinion as well!!

Take care all,
Anya

hi
on which site you checked the European Photographers, i would love to see that. I am French originally and moved here to SB. Take care

Jul 04 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

I think...they are all the best (American/European) photographers. I especialy admire the one's that take great photos, but truthfully I prefer the Japanese.

Jul 04 06 01:58 am Link

Model

Marie P

Alfredo Torres wrote:
No question European Photographers are better than American smile sorry..... Gueritos

Hi
It is because of the freedom that a European model or photographer can have, comparing to either pervercity or totally old fashion look that may appear here in US. There is less appreciation of the artistic work that a photographer may provide, and people here tend to judge artistic work so badly. There are other points i can point out when i am less tired then tonight.
Take care

Jul 04 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

I met Elliott Erwitt when I lived in NYC! What a dry sense of humor!

I think the difference between Eurpoean and American photography in general is the Europeans have an edge and lack of inhibition in their work that is fueled by the relative freedom from Victorian prudishness over there.

If the general atmosphere here were to allow more free expression and edginess on the part of commercial artists and photographers. I'd bet you wouldn't see such a difference.

Jul 04 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Le Beck Photography wrote:
I met Elliott Erwitt when I lived in NYC! What a dry sense of humor!

I think the difference between Eurpoean and American photography in general is the Europeans have an edge and lack of inhibition in their work that is fueled by the relative freedom from Victorian prudishness over there.

If the general atmosphere here were to allow more free expression and edginess on the part of commercial artists and photographers. I'd bet you wouldn't see such a difference.

This is a very Interesting post, I believe that “Edge” comes from approaching photography or making a photograph as more of an artistic endeavor, rather than a factual document recording of a subject. I personally  seem to have far more European customers for my work, than in the States.

Euro Photographers are much tuned into finer energies & awareness of time, space & their subjects. More often than not...their work contains an aura of presence. I think the difference is the approach, one is more organic & the other more mechanical.. It's funny even now some 200+ years after the invention of photography, the language we use to evaluate it, is still extremely meager. With that said it still seems parasitical, on the vocabulary of painting.    

Have you considered it’s the cultural distances in both space & time,  that you’re fascinated by?

Jul 04 06 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Marie Spring wrote:

Hi
It is because of the freedom that a European model or photographer can have, comparing to either pervercity or totally old fashion look that may appear here in US. There is less appreciation of the artistic work that a photographer may provide, and people here tend to judge artistic work so badly. There are other points i can point out when i am less tired then tonight.
Take care

Hello Marie Spring,

You're absolutely right!~*
Imagine if Irene Ionesco made her photographs in the states, the hysterical would either burn her at the state, or lock her up in their mindless ignorant fears.
-Bearz

Jul 04 06 03:05 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

What an interesting thread !! It certainly makes a change from the 'digital is better than film' threads..

As a European photographer, I'm quite suprised by the original poster's candour in the matter..

I suppose we do come from an artistic and cultural background going back many hundreds of years, and all across the continent. If you look deeper into European subculture, the great artists of the 16-18th centuries were all steeped in religion, as the various churches funded 'art' as a means of wealth. This may help to explain our passion for diversity.

Art education in the state system is also crap. It's only the few that get to study it at university, certainly here in the UK..

We probably have the opportunity to study more influences, as we're that much more integrated as a continent, with so much travelling available these days..

I'm not entirely convinced that we're 'better'..we may do things a different way. We may also have a more liberal society, which allows us to be 'Edgy', and push our boundaries a little further than you. It's something I try to acheive with each shoot.

I'm fortunate that in my job, I get to travel to the US fairly regularly - and have already been contacted by a few US models wanting to work..

There's good and bad in all places, and it's easy to beleive the 'Grass is Always Greener'. Look at some of your own, homegrown talent, and consider your good fortune that we both live in Countries where we have the freedom to practise our hobby/profession and arts in such a free and experimental way.

Jul 04 06 03:39 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

SimonL wrote:
Art education in the state system is also crap. It's only the few that get to study it at university, certainly here in the UK..

---

I'm not entirely convinced that we're 'better'..we may do things a different way. We may also have a more liberal society, which allows us to be 'Edgy', and push our boundaries a little further than you. It's something I try to acheive with each shoot.

Here's an observation... Europeans tend to understand some underlying image, and you might describe that as the hidden fantasy or message behind the picture, out of a long and widely understood tradition of concealed meaning in art. The understanding of that extends even to the non-artistic European viewer. Culturally Europeans, artist and non-artist, are exposed to that from childhood in may forms. They see, and more importantly understand, the distinction between a kiss on the cheek and on the mouth, or, on the hand or on the breast; or the placement of a hand on one breast or both... or neither; the positioning of objects within the frame to conceal or reveal and often in specific ways - buttoned up versus partially buttoned up versus unbuttoned; turning the model this way or that, gazing up or down, left or right, looking into the foreground or the distance, and where there is a specific historical meaning in each of those subtle elements and movements. There are even visual jokes to be played out... arising from various cultural and artistic traditions in each country.

Americans, on the other hand, both artist and viewer, and without that traditional understanding of those hidden meanings, tend to be just too literal... and compared to the Europeans, when they try to imitate it, get it wrong more times than not.

Thus European work may be, but isn't always, appreciated in the US but American work is not consistently, if at all, appreciated in Europe... and a lot of times not even in the US. What it amounts to is, say, a picture of a naked Eve in The Garden of Eden... with the right model for the part and in Europe it makes a difference if Eve is just reaching for the apple; in the act of plucking the fruit from the tree under the gaze of the snake; holding and contemplating it; or offering it to someone in or out of frame [maybe the viewer]. Remember the hidden meaning? It is the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil". So exactly what is our Eve up to in each variation? In America it is just, euuuu, a naked picture - quick Harry take the children outside... and often, it might be worse yet - and the American viewer correct in that case, if it was a work done by an American where the first woman ever, God's own creation, is photographed with plastic tits and maybe even a bikini wax... if they dare do it nude in the first place.

Art Appreciation for Americans 101 = everything is not always as it seems... or should it be.

Studio36

Jul 04 06 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

modaphoto wrote:
If you have been to Europe it will change your idea of beauty. So asking on here you might not get a even amount of people that truly understand.

I thought I knew beauty, being born and raised in Malibu beach and So cal, I thought I knew beauty till I moved to Europe.

So I totaly agree with you.

We live in a cosmetic culture. Padding and make up.  Europe is first natural beauty.

The photographers, models are miles ahead of the typical Maxim FHM generic stuff
from the states. Our stuff all looks the same. Model with tons of make up, fake boobs, posing.
Right on the money!
Your post is refreshing. I find that most all major high fashion is done by European
photographers. And the american photographers who shoot it live in New York and spend several weeks/months in Europe.

If you have never been to Europe, dont go thru this life without having gone there
atleast once. You will fall in love with all of it.

Jul 04 06 06:34 am Link

Model

Aeon Elysian

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Rome was a life changing experience for me, the photographer that did my parents wedding pictures there was absolutely fantastic.

Jul 04 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Europeans know how to live in general, art is a part of their lives.

In my opinion every American should spend at least one summer in Europe, it would really help y'all get over your issues.

Jul 04 06 07:04 am Link