Forums > General Industry > European photographers vs. American photographers

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

It's not a hollywood vs. the world issue, it's actually pretty simple ...

The average US worker logs 1777 hours of work per year or about 35.5 hours a week (two weeks off for good behavior) while the same french worker puts in just 1346 or 27 hours per week.

With less time spent working, there is more time to play and enjoy life so the extra day a week a french citizen gets to relax causes less stress and stress causes weight gain and depression ... so the french work less, they're happier and they're thinner from that alone, ignoring diet.

If you doubt the math, look at Korea where the average worker spends 2390 hours working or 48 hours a week vs. Holland at just 1309 hours a year (26 per week) ... which one is more artistic?

Jul 07 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

you darn americans ... you work too hard.

Jul 07 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Chris Ross wrote:

The average US worker logs 1777 hours of work per year or about 35.5 hours a week (two weeks off for good behavior) while the same french worker puts in just 1346 or 27 hours per week.

With less time spent working, there is more time to play and enjoy life so the extra day a week a french citizen gets to relax causes less stress and stress causes weight gain and depression ... so the french work less, they're happier and they're thinner from that alone, ignoring diet.

If you doubt the math, look at Korea where the average worker spends 2390 hours working or 48 hours a week vs. Holland at just 1309 hours a year (26 per week) ... which one is more artistic?

*slits wrists and dies*

Jul 07 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

A Errico Media LLC FIT

Newtown, Pennsylvania, US

I erased the word "better" from my vocabulary a long time ago. Now I just try to compliment all that I see some way some how.

Jul 07 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

removed member

FitDistMediacom wrote:
I erased the word "better" from my vocabulary a long time ago. Now I just try to compliment all that I see some way some how.

ding ding ding....

get this guy a cigar. er...protein shake.

Jul 07 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Michael Wilce

London, England, United Kingdom

Hmmmm... Well, to me the continent doesn't matter. Anyone can 'grow up' with
books by HCB and Brandt or Cappa and Adams etc etc...

I think that it's much, much more down to the individual photographer *and* model,
and their *attitude* towards life in general.

I'm probably going to get shot down for this but my theory is (IMVVHO)....
(With many notable exceptions, that prove the general rule)....

The bigger the town, the better the work.

It's the whole *attitude* thing you get from living in a big city... Ok so I live in
London :-)  but I'm from a very small town in North Wales and then lived for
a few years in a large-ish town on Englands south coast but moving to London
was the best thing I ever did. And it's not because (for the UK) this is where
the work is... just living here improves your work.

So my best advice to any photographer or model is always -
Move to London / Paris / NY / LA
You'll get better.

:-)

Michael x

Jul 07 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

CARRASCO

Houston, Texas, US

hi, i am a european photographer who despises the so called MAXIM style that is so favored here, but trying to take that approach cause thats where the $$$ are.

Jul 07 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

CARRASCO

Houston, Texas, US

hi, i am a european photographer who despises the so called MAXIM style that is so favored here, but trying to take that approach cause thats where the $$$ are.

Photographer

CARRASCO

Houston, Texas, US

Photographer

CARRASCO

Houston, Texas, US

i think whats hot depends on the US state that your in, cause i find my work is more appreciated in Los Angeles than in Houston, texas.

Photographer

Michael Wilce

London, England, United Kingdom

THE CARRASCO IMAGE wrote:

'Art' is nice... but not being homeless next week is nicer!  :-/

Jul 07 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

Being from Norway makes me a scandinavian .... does that count? hehe

Jul 07 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

THE CARRASCO IMAGE wrote:
i think whats hot depends on the US state that your in, cause i find my work is more appreciated in Los Angeles than in Houston, texas.

Try livin' in Alabama for a while.  That will make Houston seem like Paris.

Jul 07 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

I think this is a generalization that is false. Both styles are on different ends of the spectrum. Im Norwegian born and have shot in both Europe and US.... it all depends on where you are at and what you are shoot. I know a lot of other Euro photographers who like American style more.... I guess that goes to show you the grass is always greener on the other side.

Jul 07 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FitDistMediacom wrote:

I love that thought! I learn from everyone I see. Don't know or care who's from where unless someone points it out.

Jul 07 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I been to so many places and live in so many places.  I do go to Europe every year. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.  If you ask people (especially the younger generation) in Europe what they think about the States, they think we in US here are awesome.  And here we in US, we think the European are awesome.  It is only one's perception of about others either better or worse.  I personally do not think that European are better photographers, it is just different.  Their taste are different, their styles are different.

- Mike

Jul 07 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Dave Krueger wrote:

Try livin' in Alabama for a while.  That will make Houston seem like Paris.

And Arkansas makes Alabama seem like Milan. LOL

Studio36

Jul 07 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

DigitalSwede wrote:
I think this is a generalization that is false. Both styles are on different ends of the spectrum. Im Norwegian born and have shot in both Europe and US.... it all depends on where you are at and what you are shoot. I know a lot of other Euro photographers who like American style more.... I guess that goes to show you the grass is always greener on the other side.

Sounds like the new Mac ad where the Mac tells the PC that he does things better and the PC says "what do you mean better" ...

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple … 80x376.mov

Jul 07 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Michael Wilce wrote:
So my best advice to any photographer or model is always -
Move to London / Paris / NY / LA
You'll get better.

spot on!

If you want to do good work, go where the egos are. My best work was taken when I was surrounded by people superior to me ... now I live in a small town where my worse day is better than any else so I don't need to be challenged.

Also, it helps when you live in a town that is full of hot models with perfect figures who just can't break into the business because the bar has been set so high ...

Jul 07 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

jackfrost

Austin, Indiana, US

why can't we just all be friends .................!

Jul 07 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Paul Ward Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

well I'm from the UK so I suppose I'm biased. wink

Jul 07 06 11:54 am Link

Model

Muse Anya

Sunnyvale, California, US

Anyutik69 wrote:
"All generalizations are false." wink

Fist off, I enjoyed reading all the replies on this. 

The whole ratio of good European photographers on here to American photographers on here..... understandable.  Where are these American photographers getting published?  Here or Europe??

Not better, but different?  There is a difference in depth.  There is a difference in individual expression vs. generic standard.  There is a difference between natural and fake.  There is a difference in appreciation.

Schooling?  Perhaps this is due to the undeniable pride in the nonexistant history of this country.  They accent too much on it, leaving the history of the rest of the world barely touched.

When you touch the subject of art being subjective....  You have to think about culture.  There are cultures out there in which children are raised playing the piano (or some other instrument), reading poetry and novels, visiting museums.... being taught to appreciate the arts (visual, performing, liberal).  Do they have a greater say on the subject?  Or are their words equivalent to those that have been raised illiterate, never having the opportunities to do more than hope to have enough food to live? (If speaking in statistics, these make up most of the population.)  How about the children that grow up doing nothing but playing video games?

Rebutal, anyone?

Did anyone actually take the time to read this??  In case you haven't noticed, I'm poking fun at generalizations, so you can quit it with you "blah blah blah, this is a generalization, blah blah blah"  No shit Sherlock.

Subjective, subjective, subjective.... blah blah blah.  Why don't you answer the question I asked?  Who gets to judge?  How subjective is this?

And again (since most everyone seemed to read over this the first time as well), where are these "great photographers of America" getting published? 

Come on, people, enough scrubbing at a clean spot already, there are more of them out there!

Jul 07 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Sventender

Fullerton, California, US

i'm an american guy with a camera from an asian background who shoots in the "style" of europeans.  i dont know who's better, but i know what style i like better for my tastes. and personally i think that's all that matters at this point.

cheers.

Jul 07 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Anyutik69 wrote:
And again (since most everyone seemed to read over this the first time as well), where are these "great photographers of America" getting published?

Open up most magazines.

Jul 07 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Longwatcher

Newport News, Virginia, US

In thinking about this topic, I realized that my favorite most admired photographers were almost all either American or spent most of their time in America. But at the same time as a general group I think of European photographers on average being better.

I think of US photographers of shooting functionally - it is the way we culturally think. One thing we do tend to produce though is a lot of out-of-the-ordinary people. This is probably caused by the mixing of cultures making us up.

I think of European photographers as being more sensual in their style. With a lot of variation, but I rarely see something that is both unique and beautiful. When I see unique it tends to be more vulgar to me and when beautiful it tends to be almost a common style. It is as if when trying to do something new that have to deviate far away from the normal to be able to create it.

And I my observations of Japanese photographers is mixed between an abstract simplicity and repetition. In that if I only see one photo I will think it wonderful and very unique in the style, but when I see multiples I see a lot of repetition to an individual photographer's style.

I admit that I don't see a lot of African or South American work. What I do see is very good, but I suspect the statisics if you will are misleading as I think very little makes into the english language version of US media.

Note this are MY observations, I have been to Japan, Korea, England, Germany, Thailand, Saudi Arabia and I joke driven through France for less then a mile. I have seen that the culture defiantely influnces the art and possible the other way around.

It is art so don't get to hung up on my opinion when it comes to art.

Just my observations,

Jul 07 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

WE SHOULD ALL MOOVE TO FRANCE!!!!

Jul 07 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Chris Ross wrote:

+ over 25 days off---holidays
not sick days

Jul 07 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

KEVIN HILL wrote:
WE SHOULD ALL MOOVE TO FRANCE!!!!

No thanks.  And I've become accustomed to our prosperity and especially having a job (ie: low unemployment).

Jul 07 06 11:16 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

My favorite publication is French Photo.  When I discovered that, whole new vistas unfurled before me.  Speaking in sweeping generalizations, since that is what this thread is all about, I LOVE the European visual sensibility.  To me that means that even advertisements for headphones are treated with an eye to creating an image that is significant beyond making sales.  Have you ever noticed that everything in that magazine, even the thumbnails and ads, are fairly extraordinary?  The emphasis in the US seems to be on creating a division between commercial photography and art photography.

My goal, eventually, is to be living and working in a place where the two merge.

Jul 07 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Wolf 189

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Photographers/Artists while could be born with talents, but more often are being made and effected by their environments and surrounding culture.

America, a mixture of many different cultures and tastes has to bring down their marketing intellectual level and concepts so it can be approachable and more marketable to a higher percentage of residing people in the USA.

(In a non systematic way...so there is no real conspiracy theory here): During years and years, advertising companies, marketing companies etc have come up with numbers and different data and have decided the effective level for various US markets/consumers...then they have suggested certain concepts to their creative departments etc.

Photography is only one of those tools of marketing and selling stuff...when art directors see day in and day out what other companies do and how they find immediate success, they try to copy each other (like any other business) and therefore promote those types of photography as well...a road towards mediocrity...for example we see all these Men's magazines copying each other and advertise certain below average aesthetics ...such as Maxim, FHM, Stuff etc....and once America finds the formula, they won't let it go until it stops making money.

An young photographer might aspire to see those girls in person, take those shots and be published by them....a bigger market usually requires lower standards and a more selective market usually has higher (targeted) standards. This goes even for "pure forms of art" too. (whatever that might be). "Frida" is "in" because Madonna is buying it and collecting it....because they made a movie about her.

There are great American photographers who'll die without being recognized ever, because their styles and brilliant works were not marketable in this country at the time of their existence....somebody might bring their works to "antique road show" later...and they might say..."he was a great artist and now all of his works worth  $4500 (or a full tank of gas) and you have made a good profit since you bought all of his collection for $15.00 in a garage sale done by his grandchild!"!

An European can work in a more selected market and deal with people who might care a bit more about advantages of taking risks in art....like anything else in life. That stops him less to create new concepts and techniques...work with new ideas.

The question on "American" photographers vs. "European" photographers is wrong...if you want to compare them, as always it all goes back to "Money", therefore you need to compare the markets, and who is buying and who is selling.

A big Hollywood film needs to bring back so much more money to make some profit...hence the lower level of standards in concepts, safer routes in scripts, and notching up the "WOW" factors (farting is funny+ explosions in sky are cool etc.) The same goes with the commercial photography (any kind of photography which is for sale could be considered commercial too)....clean polished images of simple concepts...fast food products of art....fast food products of art.

Cheers

Wolf

( Just an opinion of course and to be clear...I am an European Photographer who has lived and worked in 14 countries before finally moving to the USA few years back....I am simply a gypsy who loves the human beings in general while trying to criticize himself and them equally, so we both might take a step forward...and get happy with "little" things..)

Jul 08 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Art Liem

Los Angeles, California, US

Anyutik69 wrote:
European photographers are better than American photographers.

Even if true, so what?

Art.

Jul 08 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I don't know that it's a better than kind of debate. 

I know that within different countries there thankfully, are still different cultures and history and legacies and influences and belief systems.   Those naturally bring about different photos.

A few observations....when I first started doing what I do, in general, I got far more positive feedback from people in Europe, Asia and Latin America.  There didn't seem to be as much an obsession with realism that I encountered here.

Secondly, even though  everyone needs to pay rent, there SEEMS to be a greater number of models in Europe, interested in art photography and working with art photographers.   

In the US, there seems to be a tendency to categorize things according to pay.  There are commercial photographers and lots of folks are in pursuit of that food chain.  Then there are glamour photographers and models who know that often time that food chain pays as well.  And then there are the "art photographers," who are often thought of and treated as amateurs.  I remember just starting off, and even up until a few years ago, nearly having to kidnap models to get them to work with me--if you can't guarantee a tear sheet (and aren't about to lie about one!),  and aren't on a commercial particularly a fashion track, or don't have oodles of money to throw about, it can be an ugly proposition trying to pursue work that's not part of a set genre.

I'm not sure, but the sense I get from looking at a lot of the European portfolios is that because of geographic scale and perhaps a greater openness from models to break away from the obsession with being ANTM, that allows photographers a greater opportunity to explore themes and conceptual approaches that many US photographers (expecially the ones without financial resources) can't.

Jul 09 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

ART OF ARIANE wrote:
The only thing the US has over Europe is we have Hollywood. There is no Hollywood equivalent in Europe...the glitter and glamour of the silver screen are truly US. And Hurrel was one of America's treasures, for sure.

Dam, you ever been to Hollywood!!!!!! the dirtiest place in LA!!!!! The glitter and the glamour is on TV only, trust me

Jul 09 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I don't hate you. If I went around hating people who don't understand statistics, I'd never get anything else done.

I do disagree with your assertion, however, as it is based on faulty data.

M

Jul 09 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I don't hate you. If I went around hating people who don't understand statistics, I'd never get anything else done.

I do disagree with your assertion, however, as it is based on faulty data.

M

Jul 09 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Anyutik69 wrote:
Rebutal, anyone?

You did not say please, but I'll let you slide on that, at least.

Anyutik69 wrote:
"All generalizations are false." wink

Fist off, I enjoyed reading all the replies on this. 

The whole ratio of good European photographers on here to American photographers on here..... understandable.  Where are these American photographers getting published?  Here or Europe??

Being published is not an intention shared by all photographers on this site.  Nor is it one shared by all photographers in any country.

But, anyone will tell you that people who can shoot on that level of being published... whether in the States or Europe... they all want to be published in the US mags.  Getting published in US Vogue is preferred to any of it's foreign editions.  And it's a simple fact that Euro magazines don't run as many ads as their US counterparts.  While big dollar ad campaigns are available overseas, the coveted ones are here in the States.

Anyutik69 wrote:
Not better, but different?  There is a difference in depth.

If I'm to take you correctly, you're fooling yourself.  There is not a widespread difference in depth between photographers of different countries... this difference is between photographers of different skill and talent levels.  Being in Europe won't make you any more talented than you would be growing up anywhere else.

Anyutik69 wrote:
There is a difference in individual expression vs. generic standard.

Yes, there's a difference between the concept of individual expression and the concept of generic standard.  They are opposites by default.  But to imply that shooters in the states generally follow a generic standard and that European shooters are generally individually expressive is just absurd.  The mere fact that there is a commonly recognized "European style" would imply a bit of generic standard.  That you feel the generic standard of European imagery is so individual and expressive is only because you're so smitten with it.

Anyutik69 wrote:
There is a difference between natural and fake.

Again, these are opposites by definition and certainly not concepts that typify location.

Anyutik69 wrote:
There is a difference in appreciation.

A romanticised opinion.  Nothing more.  You can in no way verify it, though you are certainly free to think it.

Anyutik69 wrote:
Schooling?  Perhaps this is due to the undeniable pride in the nonexistant history of this country.  They accent too much on it, leaving the history of the rest of the world barely touched.

This I don't get.  Are you saying that schooling there is better than here?  You can certainly make that argument, but you're not going to convince me that the gap is caused by a comparatively shorter history.  Or pride in it for that matter.  They are completely unrelated in my opinion.  The level of art programs here in the states don't run astray because of American History's length or pride in it.  And that goes for ANY of our education programs.  And last time I checked, art programs in the states held no bias toward American artists.

Not to mention the fact that many photographers are self-taught on both sides of the Atlantic...

Anyutik69 wrote:
When you touch the subject of art being subjective....  You have to think about culture.  There are cultures out there in which children are raised playing the piano (or some other instrument), reading poetry and novels, visiting museums.... being taught to appreciate the arts (visual, performing, liberal).  Do they have a greater say on the subject?  Or are their words equivalent to those that have been raised illiterate, never having the opportunities to do more than hope to have enough food to live? (If speaking in statistics, these make up most of the population.)  How about the children that grow up doing nothing but playing video games?

Wait... stop for just a moment.  Do you know anything of the sales of video games overseas or statistics on the age demographic buying and playing them worldwide?  Europeans sales are not as high as in the states but they are certainly high.  And you're kidding yourself if you think the most common age of the US video gamer is not 18 to 30ish.

But on art being subjective... are you saying that art is subjective by culture?  These things you mention: children raised playing instruments, reading poetry & novels, blahblahblah... you believe that this is this is something widespread in European culture and rare in US culture?  And you draw this conclusion based on what?  The fact that in your opinion European photographers are better than those in the States?  Not sure I follow that one...

Jul 10 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Anyutik69 wrote:

Come on, people, enough scrubbing at a clean spot already, there are more of them out there!

The problem with this particular question, is that it's part of the problem we have in the US.

First, the concept of "great."  Okay, there are certainly great things, great people and great photographers.  What makes a photographer great might be something based on intrinsic worth or it could be a successful conclusion to a well-orchestrated publicity campaign.

I think there is such a thing as great work.   But lots of times in this, in my opinion, overly commercialized consumptive culture of the US, great is confused with popular or being financially successful. 

Photography, is so much more than an opportunity to perpetuate this pecking order we as humans love to deal in, who is greater, who is better, who is number one....   Forget about that shit.  On so many levels photography is a voice.  Everyone who takes a photo, no matter a snapshot or a glamour shot or a work that took days to construct, says something.  Historical photos, works from great documentary or photojournalists are etched in many minds. But even sublime work has a value.  Even all the tons and tons of glamour shots, with women's asses in the air, sunsets behind them, speaks volumes as to the hopes, dreams fantasies mental constructs of both the shooter, and the viewer.

Voices in the US are best heard when connected to a well-financed ad campaign. Beautiful glossy ads abound.  Gorgeous editorials in between pages and pages of glossy ads showcase great work.  And if you're not connected to commerce?  Well.... you can say practically anything you want on the internet, but who hears it?  You want your work, your "great" work to be seen in the US, to be valued, in terms of pay, in terms of securing the best talent, the most eyeballs viewing it, it's best if connected to commerce.

Sometimes, if you want to see some great voices in photography from the US, you have to poke around in dark not very well lit spaces.  There are some great voices to be seen in blogs.  Some photographers self-publish books.  They are on the internet, and appear in smaller edgy galleries.  They might not have as many resources at their disposal, nor have the weight of the Conde Nast empire behind them, but it doesn't make their voice any less valuable.

And I don't even want to begin to discuss all the voices that are missing.  People who really live on the edges of society, who don't have access to internet tools, or scanners or tools of the photographic trade.  I suspect there are some really amazing voices that won't ever be heard.

So, I don't think the problem in the US is lack of talent, per se, it's lack of support.

Jul 10 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Ian Richardson

Gloucester, England, United Kingdom

I don't think it's possible to quantify "better". Photography is entirely subjective and that is both it's biggest problem and it's biggest appeal. I don't see a noticeable difference in the photography of European and American photographers, but I do see a marked difference in their audiences.

There is a noticably *different* mainstream style between the US and Europe, dictated by the needs of the client, who is in turn restricted by the desires of their audience. The attitudes of the US and EU audiences are of course, very different and maybe it's simply that as creative people, we tend to like things that are different from our normal experiences.

For my commercial work, my goal is simply to satisfy the client, and they frequently force me in a direction that I hate, but he who pays the piper... smile

In my personal work, if the finished shot looks something like the one I had in my head before I took it, it's a good one. That is my only judgement of quality, and the only one that matters. Unfortunately, that's never happened smile I strongly suspect that if I ever took that "perfect" photograph, making pictures would lose much of it's appeal. I keep doing it because I'm always trying to attain the unattainable.

Jul 10 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

Thank you very much!! I say with my finest European Pride!  smilesmile

Ok so I know none of the comments were aimed at my work but I'll toss in my thoughts on the matter.

European magazines are better than US magazines because Europeans hold a much higher standard and won't tollerate let alone buy trash.

I speak with a little authority being that I am European and now reside in the US so I have seen both sides of it.

In the US there is generally more disposable income compared to europe and european equipment prices tend to be higher as well.

My theroy is they photographic hobyist in Europe feels as if they have so much more invested as they dont have so much spare cash and therefore truly pratice and refine their art, they attend seminars, study at school, join camera clubs, anything that can help them further their work.

In the US aquiring a half decent DSLR and a couple of leses is cheap (speaking comparitivley) once again.  So it tends to create far more part time 'photographers' that dont put all their spare time into the study of the art.  They take a few snaps on a Saturday, tweak them in Elements on sunday, then toss them up for critique with 'What do you think?" 
I think if you took these shots to a UK camera club youd go home with a bruised ego!

There are seriously tallented photographers on both sides of the pond, both pros and amatuers alike.

But I still think the difference comes down to when a European takes up a hobby it consumes every spare moment and they put more effort into it than here in the US.

Please note my comments are from personal observations and not an attack on anyones work.

Jul 10 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Aiyoonee

Gilberts, Illinois, US

ART OF ARIANE wrote:
The only thing the US has over Europe is we have Hollywood. There is no Hollywood equivalent in Europe...the glitter and glamour of the silver screen are truly US.

How about Cannes, and Monte Carlo? As someone who has attended plentiful of events there, trust me when I say it's glamourous! It'll do for me...

Anyhow, I don't think we should generalize. It's just different perspectives rooted in culture. I find that my work is accepted better here in the US than back home, for example, but I am 100% European (here temporarily). Obviously I have yet to qualify for French Vogue, but not all European photographers work the same way.

Jul 12 06 10:27 pm Link