Forums > General Industry > Fetish/goth photos. Why?

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

What is the market for this? I visit some of the model's ports and they list many many photographers that they have work with and have hundreds of hits on their photos.

I personally know one photographer that gets paid $200/hour shooting fetish/SM, etc.

Am I missing the boat here? Is this as popular as it seems to me or is it limited to just a few?

Jun 23 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

R A Woodward

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't really know what the draw is myself.  I'm goth, so that's what I prefer to shoot and I'm glad there's a market for it smile

Jun 23 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

azcra woodward wrote:
I don't really know what the draw is myself.  I'm goth, so that's what I prefer to shoot and I'm glad there's a market for it smile

Kinda of a dead subject. Maybe know one knows the answer....

Jun 23 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

azcra woodward wrote:

And what is that market? You get paid to shoot Gothic styles? By anyone other than photographers?

Jun 23 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Photoman754 wrote:
What is the market for this? I visit some of the model's ports and they list many many photographers that they have work with and have hundreds of hits on their photos.

I personally know one photographer that gets paid $200/hour shooting fetish/SM, etc.

Am I missing the boat here? Is this as popular as it seems to me or is it limited to just a few?

$200/hour? What are you getting shooting portrait photography?

Jun 23 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Foto di Giacomo

Las Cruces, New Mexico, US

I myself am looking to make a statement shooting somewhat this type of theme.  I am into fantasy and pretend and really not into goth per se however-  I think it is very different looking and some of the goth style really jumps out and grabs you.  I think it is a statement in and of itself.

Jun 23 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

Jane Weiss

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Christopher Ambler wrote:

And what is that market? You get paid to shoot Gothic styles? By anyone other than photographers?

she is a photographer.

Jun 23 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Sian Louise wrote:

she is a photographer.

Ugh, I didn't even notice who I was responding to - my bad.

Okay, so let me restate it - who's buying the gothic content?

Jun 23 06 08:25 pm Link

Model

Dominick D

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

The Thing that draws people to this side of the photography is the integrity & creativity of it. It has something that little bit more special to offer those who view it as oposed to the generic styles (& the countless amount of cheesey glamour!)
Others probly like it as it's seen as a bit risky & forbidden... curioisty gets the better of them :p
On a personal note I am in it because I love the imagery & how much goes into one picture. The whole crative process. The colours, textures, themes... I find it all very pleasing to both mind & eye. Don't get me wrong I love fashion & portraiture photogrpahy also but The fetish scene just has that little bit extra kick to it! Yu don't instantly forget the images yu've viewed unlike most others from different types.

xDDx

Jun 23 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Dominick-Destruction wrote:
The Thing that draws people to this side of the photography is the integrity & creativity of it. It has something that little bit more special to offer those who view it as oposed to the generic styles (& the countless amount of cheesey glamour!)
Others probly like it as it's seen as a bit risky & forbidden... curioisty gets the better of them :p
On a personal note I am in it because I love the imagery & how much goes into one picture. The whole crative process. The colours, textures, themes... I find it all very pleasing to both mind & eye. Don't get me wrong I love fashion & portraiture photogrpahy also but The fetish scene just has that little bit extra kick to it! Yu don't instantly forget the images yu've viewed unlike most others from different types.

xDDx

I feel this is paramount in shooting any style of images. You have to enjoy your work to be good at it.

I shoot fetish because it suits me. Do I sell any of it? No, not yet. I’ve only just started shooting so give me some time.

Jun 23 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dominick-Destruction wrote:

xDDx

I agree, it's a whole different way in which to be creative photographically.  Whether you can make a living at it is a different story, but it sure as hell beats carbon-copy boring glam photos, and the range of things you can do is exponentially higher.  Thinking about shooting some creative goth-inspired images myself, so if anyone reading this...

Jun 23 06 08:38 pm Link

Model

AshesLaree

Houston, Texas, US

I want to say...Who cares.

Really tho, because thats what some photographer/models/stylists are into. Its a sub-culture lifestyle.

Yep.

Jun 23 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Richard Dubois wrote:

I agree, it's a whole different way in which to be creative photographically.  Whether you can make a living at it is a different story, but it sure as hell beats carbon-copy boring glam photos, and the range of things you can do is exponentially higher.  Thinking about shooting some creative goth-inspired images myself, so if anyone reading this...

Personally, I love the challenge of shooting goth inspired images, it's not the cookie cutter stuff that's fairly standard...

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/051022/08/435a8598319e4.jpg

Jun 23 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

AshesLaree wrote:
I want to say...Who cares.

Really tho, because thats what some photographer/models/stylists are into. Its a sub-culture lifestyle.

Yep.

Snap!!

I'd have to take a stab at this, but I think 99% of the people that responded to this thread care.

I see now, that it should be moved to another forum, thank you for bring that to my attention.

Jun 23 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

PDXImaging wrote:

Personally, I love the challenge of shooting goth inspired images, it's not the cookie cutter stuff that's fairly standard...

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/051022/08/435a8598319e4.jpg

What is challenging about that photo? actually kinda boring....I started shooting goth and fetish and actually had 7 fetish/alternative photo in Echo gallery last july...BUT I do agree it is challenging and a LOT of fun!

Jun 23 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Dee wrote:
What is challenging about that photo? actually kinda boring....I started shooting goth and fetish and actually had 7 fetish/alternative photo in Echo gallery last july...BUT I do agree it is challenging and a LOT of fun!

I don't see a single goth inspired image in your port.  And,  btw, is shooting a model in a bog wearing sunglasses or large women in thongs or with stuffed animals more challenging?  Ya ok...  LOL

Jun 23 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mr-Kato

I am far from an expert, but from experience, shooting black on black and getting some texture while not totally over exposeing the pale skin is a knack I have yet to figure out. (just my 2c worth) And is a must in shooting most gothic materials as they tend to come in many colors, so long as it is black

Jun 23 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Mr-Kato wrote:
I am far from an expert, but from experience, shooting black on black and getting some texture while not totally over exposeing the pale skin is a knack I have yet to figure out. (just my 2c worth) And is a must in shooting most gothic materials as they tend to come in many colors, so long as it is black

And, it's the spirit that's difficult to capture, not that I'm an expert, but it's unique to the concept of goth inspired imagery...

Jun 23 06 09:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Elsner

Newport Beach, California, US

Well I think that part of the "market" is goth magazines, fashion catalogs, promotion for events, pay sites, etc. Pretty much the same as the market for traditional photography. You would sell a glamour shot to a magazine, or for promotion of something, or for a catalog. So it really is the same but just a different style. Same as glamour, commercial, natural, and high-fashion are different styles but pretty much used for the same kinds of media and are sold to the same kinds of markets. Speaking of all this gothic photography, I'm looking for models and a photographer to do a TFP shoot with me. I have a really awesome idea using some special effects make-up. Please message me for details if you are interested. Thanks!

Jun 23 06 09:45 pm Link

Model

AshesLaree

Houston, Texas, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Snap!!

I'd have to take a stab at this, but I think 99% of the people that responded to this thread care.

I see now, that it should be moved to another forum, thank you for bring that to my attention.

I just say that because it's not like it's so mysterouis cult thing. Its just a different style. Well maybe there are some fetish cults...hm, i should look into that. lol.

Jun 23 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brittany Elsner wrote:
Well I think that part of the "market" is goth magazines, fashion catalogs, promotion for events, pay sites, etc. Pretty much the same as the market for traditional photography. You would sell a glamour shot to a magazine, or for promotion of something, or for a catalog. So it really is the same but just a different style. Same as glamour, commercial, natural, and high-fashion are different styles but pretty much used for the same kinds of media and are sold to the same kinds of markets. Speaking of all this gothic photography, I'm looking for models and a photographer to do a TFP shoot with me. I have a really awesome idea using some special effects make-up. Please message me for details if you are interested. Thanks!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=54972

Oh well, good luck with yours.

Jun 23 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Snap!!

AshesLaree wrote:
I just say that because it's not like it's so mysterouis cult thing. Its just a different style. Well maybe there are some fetish cults...hm, i should look into that. lol.

With the original question being "What is the market for this?" I feel one would need to know more about the genre then just ask a portion of the photographers or models that shoot/live the lifestyle.

Where I live, there is no shortage of fetish models so it's easy for me to have access to them. Cult? naw, it's all a scare tactic to keep the others away.

Jun 23 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

RayAndrews

Dallas, Texas, US

this topic looks very familiar smile

Jun 23 06 10:03 pm Link

Model

AshesLaree

Houston, Texas, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Craig Thomson wrote:
Snap!!

With the original question being "What is the market for this?" I feel one would need to know more about the genre then just ask a portion of the photographers or models that shoot/live the lifestyle.

Where I live, there is no shortage of fetish models so it's easy for me to have access to them. Cult? naw, it's all a scare tactic to keep the others away.

I should move to Washington then? wink

Jun 23 06 10:49 pm Link

Model

Xochitl

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I have a lot of fun with the gothic look, I think there are many different directions you can take with it.  Horror, club gothic, vintage looking gothic, so may ways to do it.  I think the clothes are what do it for me.  Many people if it is done well, do notice it in photography.

Jun 23 06 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

AshesLaree wrote:

I should move to Washington then? wink

Are you wanting to shoot some of this freaky Fetish/Gothic stuff or join some underground cult that doesn't exist I'm told...

Jun 23 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Are you wanting to shoot some of this freaky Fetish/Gothic stuff or join some underground cult that doesn't exist I'm told...

Come on, don't deny your membership, I saw you at the last cult meeting!

Jun 23 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Xochitl wrote:
I have a lot of fun with the gothic look, I think there are many different directions you can take with it.  Horror, club gothic, vintage looking gothic, so may ways to do it.  I think the clothes are what do it for me.  Many people if it is done well, do notice it in photography.

I agree and want to add that the people I've met since shooting this style are the most interesting and diverse group of adults I know.

Jun 23 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

AshesLaree

Houston, Texas, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Both. Im all for fetish/goth and I LOVE cults.

To the OP. sorry bout the thread hijack.

Jun 23 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Come on, don't deny your membership, I saw you at the last cult meeting!

Was it the aboveground meeting or the meeting we had in Georgetown?

It's with a heavy heart I say this, but the underground meetings will be postponed until a new building is secured.
Those in the know understand what I'm talking about...

.:sigh:.

Jun 23 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Was it the aboveground meeting or the meeting we had in Georgetown? It's with a heavy heart I say this, but the underground meetings will be postponed until a new building is secured.

Just because you burned the building down when you pulled that fire-breathing-through-your-nose trick. Party pooper.

Jun 23 06 11:10 pm Link

Model

AshesLaree

Houston, Texas, US

Xochitl wrote:

Craig Thomson wrote:
I agree and want to add that the people I've met since shooting this style are the most interesting and diverse group of adults I know.

I agree. We "goths" are a strange bunch of people. With damn cool clothes. At least my friends are, me I lack the funds for such goth & fetish finery.

Yay for something construcive to say on this thread!

Jun 23 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Just because you burned the building down when you pulled that fire-breathing-through-your-nose trick. Party pooper.

Ummm, that wasn't me, honest.

I did here the Fenix found a new location and it's just a matter of time now

Jun 23 06 11:15 pm Link

Model

Xochitl

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I have a lot of fun when I hang with any of my friends but I love costumes & I always have the best time when I go out with my goth friends.  My hat is off to anyone who puts as much effort as they do into their appearance, they do it everyday!  They are hopefully going to be customers one of these days.  I have a lot of fun designing things I think this market would like, good creative outlet for me certainly.

Jun 23 06 11:18 pm Link

Model

VertigoRising

Cleveland, Ohio, US

It's been building steam over the years. I suppose one whom sticks to mostly mainstream would never have a use for it in most more mundane printing because well, we live in a rather conventional society where there is a popular norm.

These days though even popular designers are taking from the gothic culture and defining it as their own which being a goth myself, I find it rather annoying.

It's growing steam for a lot of different reasons but mostly because it's not what is run of the mill. It is risque, glamourous, dark, and shows a true beauty with a flare that might be cold to some in appearances can be rather passionate in form.

Some people do it whether they be photographers, models or designers because they think it is marketable and to some degree it is but not to you folks who share a more conventional area of the modeling scene. I know quite a few goth models personally and not many that can really make it off their modeling alone unless they are running a site with their images and some nudity to boot. I still doubt any amongst are going to get rich off doing it and to me it seems that you most certainly have to be female to do that. Hell, I have a tough time as it is and barely no one pays attention to my sad little profile. lol! Then again I don't really do as much as I should to promote myself either.

Jun 23 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Photoman754 wrote:

The boat I think you might have missed is simply this. All clothing is some sort of FASHION.  There's more to the fashion business than what is mainstream.  There's the "standards": high fashion, beauty, lingerie, swimsuit, casual, etc.  But don't forget that there's more to it than that.  Not everyone lives in the mainstream.  Some people spend a lot of money on their appearance who aren't in the mainstream.  There's goth, with the long black, not-so-cheap, leather coats.  There's fetish fashions with the leather and rubber stuff.  Let's not forget the ball gags, and floggers.  Those 56 buckle red patent leather boots aren't cheap!  Biker fashions, club wear, surfing-wear, cycling apparel, gang-like apparel, bondage-wear, and stuff that looks great in certain neighborhoods, or within certain religious groups, or in any of the various cultures, are all part of the "fashion" industry.   

Whenever there is a product being sold and purchased there's sales.  Typically, those sales boil down to two categories, wholesale sales and retail sales.  Wholesale and retail sales both need marketing.  There's catalogs, mailers, circulars, posters, and virtually the same type of marketing that every form of fashion has.  It's this marketing that usually requires models, make-up artists, hair stylists, designers, models, and photographers.  This is true, regardless of whether the "fashion" is mainstream, fetish, or any other form of "fashion".

The answer to your other question is "yes". Popularity for the "non-mainstream" fashions is growing extremely rapidly and some of those who are in such "niches" are currently doing quite well.

I've always thought that many models limit their "range" too much.  Many times models will say "I'm a swimsuit model" or, "I just do high fashion and casual".  Then, in the next breath, they complain about not getting enough paid work.  Well duh! That's like an electrician saying he only connects red or blue wires, or, a painter saying he only paints things blue.  Specialization is great if you have all the business you want.  If you want more business, expand the scope of what you are willing to accept.  When you limit what you do, you limit your income potential. 

I advise models and photographers to have a portfolio of 9x12 prints  that are nothing short of awesome. That portfolio should make that model look like 20 different people showing as wide of a range of fashion types as possible. For the model or photographer, if you don't have any images depicting fetish or goth fashions, you are going to have a hard time getting people to pay you to do that.

A red, rubber, latex outfit with a whip and handcuffs might not be "your thing" and you may never feel a need for that in your closet, but that shouldn't mean that you can't earn some money using it for a photo shoot so you can have it in your portfolio in the event you'd like to show someone that you have experience in that genre.

Modeling and photography is a lot like acting.  Some of the top actors and actresses might be able to say "I don't wanna do this or that".  But, they've already got their big break.  They've already made big bucks.  Before that, you can bet they weren't so choosy.

Generally, there's a market for damn near everything.  Models and photographers should do everything they  can within their comfort limits. I think more models and photographers need to think about the "bigger picture" of advertising, marketing, images which include fashions and lifestyles other than what they find themselves in.  They need to consider whether or not it makes sense to have limits where they are, and whether or not their portfolio covers the entire range of those limits.

Do you suppose that gal on TV who advertises KY personal lubricant made any money for that commercial?

Good luck with all that.

Jun 24 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

DSP_Productions

Lexington, Kentucky, US

having attended the last cult meeting I can tell you it was a blast.

illusion, sex and fantasy. sounds like what America is looking for so I would say it should sell well!

the title of the thread caught my attention guess I thought there would be a little more to it from those who are really in to it and how they are using it. today I learned about the magazines that go with the culture so maybe in another couple weeks I will have something to add.

later,
david

Jun 24 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

PDXImaging wrote:

I don't see a single goth inspired image in your port.  And,  btw, is shooting a model in a bog wearing sunglasses or large women in thongs or with stuffed animals more challenging?  Ya ok...  LOL

Never said I had any in my port..

Jun 24 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

When my wife was divorcing her ex, we had a custody battle over their son.  Ex-husband told the court I was the "high priest of a gothic cult" whatever the hell that is.  I guess playing in goth bands and being GAF means I'm in a cult.  I was in Sisters of Mercy's fan club so maybe that's what he meant heh...

I've been working on some for a few paysites and building content for my own paysite, but it's been slow the past month while I'm working out new ideas.

As far as market, I think the models have a much better shot at the market side from a fan perspective.  There's lots of gothy magazines out now and most of them have some focus on fashion, and I see lots of gothic models with their own paysites or selling individual photos to their mailing list and fan clubs, but I don't really see a lot hitting for photographers, at least publicly.  Still, someone has to be taking those photos.  A lot of the gothy paysites I'm working with are paying anywhere from $100 to $300 for a series of photos (some a little more but that's rare).  They prefer to work with the model rather than the photographer, but that's just a matter of working it out beforehand.

Jun 24 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

You know how there are all kinds of fetish clothes and products? Sometimes those companies use models to sell their products. Doesn't seem so hard to figure out who's hiring models and photographers who are in that niche.

Jun 24 06 06:47 pm Link