Forums > General Industry > Models NOT replying

Photographer

John Hough

West Hollywood, California, US

Hi,
Many times when I send a message to a model about doing a photoshoot, I get no reply. This is a general message just to see if they are interested. If they do reply, then I will go into more detail. Everyone seems to have excuses, but I have found that you can go through life offering excuses instead of taking charge of your life. You never know that the photographer who contacts you may have a huge job that could be worth lots of money to you, in addition, if the photographer is well established, it is a great connection for further work. All I am asking is that as a model if you get a request from a photographer, please answer it, even if to say, "not interested, but thanks".
John

Jun 02 06 11:18 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

No answer means they're not interested.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=40143

Jun 02 06 11:26 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Some photographers are just as bad.

Jun 02 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Keep in mind. A pretty lady signs on and has about 100 messages from photographers, probably mostly in-experienced ones (the best ones don't have time to look for models...I'm not saying I'm one of those either), asking her to work with them.

Taking time to review each of their portfolios and answer them all would take hours.

Probably not feasible.

See, us 30-something, out of shape photographer's don't know what it's like to be bait in a pool of sharks.

Jun 02 06 11:32 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I always reply. It's at the very least just simple courtesy.  If I were one of those popular models that get dozens of requests a day, I would just copy and paste a standard reply that said something like:

"Thank you for the response, I am presently only working on [insert project descriptions here], if you need to contact me about his kind of project, just put [key word here] in the subject line so your message is easier to find".

But I don't get that many requests, so you will get a personal answer from me smile

I see that this is your second post. - Welcome to MM!

Jun 02 06 11:33 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I personally reply to every message, but it sounds like you're sending out generic copy pasted emails. I can certainly understand why some models wouldn't bother taking the time to reply to someone who didn't take the time to write them a personalized message. It's impolite not to reply either way, but I think you'd get more replies if you didn't send out general emails.

Jun 02 06 11:35 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Welcome to the internet
Good morning OP

You have just stepped into the World Wide Web of internet modeling.
Here girls with pictures (GWP) don’t have to answer emails. They don’t have to go to casting calls, and they charge by the square inch of skin exposed. The least experienced models charge the most. As do the ones with the worst photos taken by a drunken boyfriend with an upside down camera phone. Just keep plugging along and you will stumble into a real model who answers messages someday soon.
Welcome to our world..................wink

Jun 02 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

John Hough

West Hollywood, California, US

I do not send out copy pasted emails. Each one is an "original". What I mean by a general message is that my first contact with them is only to see if they are interested in working with me. If they answer in the positive, then I will give them all the details. I think to get a first message from a photographer that is very long and goes into great detail is a bit overwhelming for the model and takes a lot of time for the photographer. So, be assured that I do not "cut and paste".

John

Jun 02 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

David Moyle wrote:
Keep in mind. A pretty lady signs on and has about 100 messages from photographers, probably mostly in-experienced ones (the best ones don't have time to look for models...I'm not saying I'm one of those either), asking her to work with them.

Taking time to review each of their portfolios and answer them all would take hours.

Probably not feasible.

See, us 30-something, out of shape photographer's don't know what it's like to be bait in a pool of sharks.

Dang, I don't get that many messages. Are you guys mad at me??

Jun 02 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

You must be intimidating.

Jun 02 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

T R Willmitch

Normal, Illinois, US

Hi Adrienne,

Wow, looking at your portfolio you are amazingly beautiful and talented.  You don't get that many requests?  That's hard to believe...  Oh and I'm certain no one is mad at you.

If we were closer then you would certainly receive a request to work together from me.  That won't happen, but only because of the miles that fall between us...  Still you do have an open invitation.

I'll add that it is frustrating when models don't respond to politely worded invitations to work together -- particularly when they are just starting out, local, and the offer is TFP/TFCD.

All that I can figure is that the gal decided to try modeling on a lark and has moved on to something else already.  And rarely do I see anything new in the portfolio afterward.

Still, polite no thanks you's are appreciated over the usual nothing.

Take care,
Tom

Jun 02 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Corena wrote:
Some photographers are just as bad.

Whatever, we're flawless.

Jun 02 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

David Moyle wrote:

You must be intimidating.

Ah, the usual man excuse.

Jun 02 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

Senko

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Sometimes maybe the models doesn't read her mails often.... Maybe you'll get a reply some days later.

Jun 02 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Cloete

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

It is normally the models with the worst photos that dont respond!! The others are quite cool! and it is everywhere like that - from here to Jurgita to Mercer Models to GG - so dont feel bad...

Jun 02 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Cloete

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Dont believe that either!!

Jun 02 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lithium Flower Photo

Seattle, Washington, US

John Hough Photographer wrote:
Hi,
Many times when I send a message to a model about doing a photoshoot, I get no reply.

All I am asking is that as a model if you get a request from a photographer, please answer it, even if to say, "not interested, but thanks".
John

I feel your pain!  I used to take it quite personally before i realized that contacting the models is a lot like cold-calling to sell siding... you get a lot of no's before you get a yes.  It's frustrating at time, especially if you're not well established, as is my case... but I feel if i keep plugging away at it, it'll figure itself out eventually. and yes, a response of some kind would be nice, but no response at all sends a pretty clear message i think.

Jun 02 06 12:44 pm Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

In gerneral, I try to reply to anyone that sends me a note. There are some cases in which I don't however.

1. It's just a "What's up" "u r so fine" "gawd ur hawt" note.

2. It's a general copy and paste message.

3. I forget.

That's about it. The many 'aspiring' models on this site however, haven't begun to figure out what it means to be a professional in this industry so they look at an email, look at a port perhaps and go 'Eh, no thanks' but never take the time to type it. Could be a knock against you, definately it's a knock against him/her. I wouldn't take it personal though.

Jun 02 06 12:49 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I do not send out copy pasted emails. Each one is an "original". What I mean by a general message is that my first contact with them is only to see if they are interested in working with me. If they answer in the positive, then I will give them all the details. I think to get a first message from a photographer that is very long and goes into great detail is a bit overwhelming for the model and takes a lot of time for the photographer. So, be assured that I do not "cut and paste".

John

Well then it sounds like flaky internet models...don't sweat it...your work is good, and it looks like you do fine with finding fit and attractive models.

Jun 02 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Also, to add on to what fox wrote.

If you are going to take the time to take some pics and set up a profile, then you need to take at least an hour out of your day to go through e-mails and ports, responding when neccessary. Even if it's a no thank you.

Jun 02 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

A. KAYE

Richardson, Texas, US

no answer, means they're impolite, rude and unprofessional.
if someone, model or photographer takes the time to make a sincere request
a short reply is not an unreasonable expectation.

Jun 02 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Bingo!  Help yourself to another cookie.  smile

Jun 02 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

Funny Girl

Boston, Massachusetts, US

The way I see it, if you send someone a message and they are not proffesional enough to respond, then they are not worth your time anyway, move on, cause then your more likely to find someone even better!

Jun 02 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

I do not send out copy pasted emails. Each one is an "original". What I mean by a general message is that my first contact with them is only to see if they are interested in working with me.

Sounds like you're being too general.  In my experience most models like to have some idea of the type of shoot you're looking to do before responding.  Don't go into minute detail but give them something to go on.

Jun 02 06 01:01 pm Link

Model

Emmy21

Holland, Michigan, US

I'll answer you wink

Jun 02 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Sarah Blodgett wrote:
The way I see it, if you send someone a message and they are not proffesional enough to respond, then they are not worth your time anyway, move on, cause then your more likely to find someone even better!

Seems to me that the vast majority of internet models (which includes the majority of MM models) are not professional.  Generally, they do it part time, in a location that has no mainstream commercial modeling industry to speak of, commonly specializing in the glamour or fetish markets, many times working in exchange for pictures.  They don't do it as a major part of their income.  They do it as a hobby.  Basically, if they don't respond to job offers there is no down side.  And internet models will always be held in high esteem by the shooters they do work with regardless how many others they brush off.

It just comes with the territory.  I agree about moving on, though.  Being angry about it is like being angry with gravity.  Pointless.

Jun 02 06 01:43 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

If I contact a photographer about possibly shooting sometime and don't hear from them, I just assume that they're not interested at this time, but the no-response thing doesn't bother me and I don't take it personally.  Just the other day I tried the "No thanks, I'm not interested" route, and I was expecting the guy to give me a hard time about it, but he actually didn't give me a hard time.  My response was something along the lines of "Hi, ____.  I'm not interested in shooting, but thank you for the e-mail.

Sincerely,

Tikeya"

I wanted to include the "Sincerely" to show that I do appreciate the interest, but I'm turning it down in the kindest possible way (as opposed to coming across as a lil' snobby b***h).

Jun 02 06 03:20 pm Link

Model

Less Than Two

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

There have been a couple occasions where I have simply replied with "Thank, but I'm not interested" And the photographer snapped at me. I still *usually* will respond with a thankyouno, but I still find myself uncomfortable.

Hi,
Many times when I send a message to a model about doing a photoshoot, I get no reply. This is a general message just to see if they are interested. If they do reply, then I will go into more detail. Everyone seems to have excuses, but I have found that you can go through life offering excuses instead of taking charge of your life. You never know that the photographer who contacts you may have a huge job that could be worth lots of money to you, in addition, if the photographer is well established, it is a great connection for further work. All I am asking is that as a model if you get a request from a photographer, please answer it, even if to say, "not interested, but thanks".
John

Jun 02 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

It doesn't matter what 'label' is used - model, photographer, professional, amateur, etc....  . When someone takes the time to contact you, common courtesy (of necessity) requires a response.

No courtesy reply = no class.

I'd heard it time and again in threads, where the original emailer has sent back a crude, rude, or unflattering comment after a 'polite' not interested response. The offended party uses it as a justification for not responding to others. Come on now. Think about it!!! If they respond rudely after your polite response, give yourself a pat on the back for having the class to send a courtesy reply - and then ignore them!

Food for thought; simply ignoring the initial inquiry doesn't make for a good reputation, and it lacks class.

Jun 02 06 09:16 pm Link

Model

Laura Merced

Austin, Indiana, US

I doubt this will be solved in this thread or any more to come.

Just like a job interview it would be nice if photographers/models would give you a shout back and say you didn't get the position but sometimes it doesn't happen...

No use being upset about it...it is just a fact of life....

I don't let stuff like that get me down...

Jun 02 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Mossack

Joplin, Missouri, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Maybe so, but It's also very rude to not reply, even to say a simple "no thanks", not to mention highly unprofessional. But I digress, this is the internet, where these things are commonplace and accepted.

Jun 03 06 12:11 am Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Advertise more Female Models Or are you strictly a Male model Photographer ? ....

Manny D.

Jun 03 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Sorry but no answer means they have no business sense and will likely never make it in the big outside world. Even if the answer is a 'no thanks' that is more professional than nothing at all.

Jun 03 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Photographers and models should be required to reply to all, or after a certain number of complaints, they are removed.   When you sign up you are given the rules and mandatory replies should be the rule.  This on-going problem will not be corrected until there is a carrot and stick approach.  That will lead to a lot of GWC and GWP to take this seriously or to hit the road.

Jun 03 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Pixel-Magic Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sometimes, as happened to me, it may be family illness, which means a lot of less important things are not attended to.

Be patient, and never be rude -just as you would not want anyone to be rude to you in case your computer, died or your ISP screwed up or you lost the kleenex that you scribbled the new hard to guess  password on...

Jun 03 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Manny Desalamanca wrote:
Advertise more Female Models Or are you strictly a Male model Photographer ? ....

Manny D.

Listen to Pixel-Magic
Hes got it together !!!

Jun 03 06 12:29 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

That's sure what I conclude when I send messages to photographers asking what their rates are and don't get a response.  Here I was thinking that most photographers wanted to be paid, so the right thing to do was ask about rates.  Evidently few on MM are genuinely interested.  As another poster said. . .some photographers are just as bad.

Jun 03 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

i feel your frustration, i have been on here close to six months and at first it was like pulling teeth to get people to work with you. i think maybe one of the reasons you are having a hard time getting a reply is that you have so many nude images in your portfolio..are you sending requests to guys who also have nudity in their ports? read the profiles, alot of people on here will not do nudes. Even if you don't require nudity for a shoot, some of the guys may freak and "think" that you will require or try and pressure them to do that...just a thought

In any case it would be polite and professional to get an answer, one way or another, but this is the internet... you don't have a agency booker to answer to here...its a new world and a new day. i would concentrate on the guys who are actually commenting on your work and work with them for starters. One thing i have found ironic is the guys who gave me attitude or didn't respond to my initial requests are the guys who are hitting me up for work now that my style has improved and is getting attention....

Jun 03 06 12:35 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Gary Davis wrote:

Sounds like you're being too general.  In my experience most models like to have some idea of the type of shoot you're looking to do before responding.  Don't go into minute detail but give them something to go on.

I can second this from the model's perspective. "Hey wanna shoot?" Is not really a good way to approach anyone. It will only waste my time and start me out annoyed at you.

I think you can probably write up a note that explains at least a little bit about the project you're working on and send it to the model. It won't take you any longer than to write a generic note, and the results might please you. Take the time it takes so it takes less time. If you don't want to write up that much in the note, then have something in your profile that discusses your current projects. Don't feel bad to include that write up in the note itself. Anything you can do to make the model's life easier to choose you is a plus. Reducing her effort of getting information will keep both of you happy.

Not all models are flakes that don't respond either. I respond to every message that is sent to me, in some form or another.

And remember, this street runs BOTH ways. I've contacted plenty of photographers and gotten nothing back in response. Even once had a photographer contact me and then never write back! Common courtesy applies to everyone.

Jun 03 06 08:10 am Link

Photographer

SanitysSightPhotography

Milford, Pennsylvania, US

Oh yes, ive either gotten reply back saying interested in working together or no reply, only one was a model gracious enough to reply back with no thank you, i sent her a thank for responding back saying that was a rarity.I just keep going because if they want to work with me great , if not thats great also. but no responce does say something for them would you really want to work with someone like that?

Jun 03 06 08:20 am Link