Forums > General Industry > Models NOT replying

Photographer

saverio

Santa Monica, California, US

Don't feel bad, the photography/fashion world is ironic, it is not a corporate environment; professionalism, punctuality, and communication don't necessarily abound here.  Having been in this business for 25 years, I could tell you stories that would take weeks to read here i.e. supermodel falling out of a limo in to the gutter in NYC still drunk/high from the last night, or worse, not showing up at all, supermodel telling Polly Mellon to go F**k herself while editor of Vogue during a cover shoot with Richard Avedon, then when Richard finally convinced Polly to consider another shoot, telling Richard to go f**k himself! (I know, I lived with this model)
Girls not showing up when a lot of money was on the line; they were too tired, they forgot, it was too early, their boyfriend didn't want them to shoot that day, etc. etc.  Conversely, there are great, punctual, professional models as well, thus the irony. 
As it relates to this site, and it's just my opinion, it is hit or miss at the very best.  I am newer to the site and have made but a few requests, with no success, but I don't take it personally.  The reason I know not to take it personally, at the risk of sounding like an A**hole (which I am not) is that if you read my profile, which is true by the way, there is no one on this site who should not respond with the type of work I have done and do now.  I must be doing something wrong for this particular site, I recognize I don't shoot glamour type work which seems to prevail?  Anyway it's a big world out there on the web and full of diversity and irony.    Just some thoughts from a guy who has been around and seen a lot.  All best, saverio

Jun 03 06 08:56 am Link

Model

Tessa Haviland

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

I always reply, whether I'm interested or not. I reply out of courtesy, but also, in a year, that photographer may have a great profile and a job for you. It's best not to burn your bridges. People remember things like that...

Jun 03 06 09:04 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

John Hough Photographer wrote:
Hi,
Many times when I send a message to a model about doing a photoshoot, I get no reply. This is a general message just to see if they are interested. If they do reply, then I will go into more detail. Everyone seems to have excuses, but I have found that you can go through life offering excuses instead of taking charge of your life. You never know that the photographer who contacts you may have a huge job that could be worth lots of money to you, in addition, if the photographer is well established, it is a great connection for further work. All I am asking is that as a model if you get a request from a photographer, please answer it, even if to say, "not interested, but thanks".
John

This has yet to be me...and there is alot more I could say on the subject but I won't because its not really a huge life/human crisis to me...but I could offer one reality and much of it I gathered from the forums themselves.

* You can't give some people an answer...whatever answer you give them will offend them.
1. If you are financially unable, or just don't prefer, or have a buisy scheduale to do tfcd or tfp then ...
blacklisted, shamed, hurt feelings (I don't see why...I don't recall Shamar Moore or Halley Berry being members on this site so why cry over a average girl or guy?), or you are totally embarrassed, fussed at and sometimes cussed out.

2. If you do accept and things come up...
Same thing

3. If you say no thank you...
Same thing

4.If you show up and things don't go well ..
Same thing

I know this sounds like its an exaggeration but believe me...it is not...and some will leave modeling because of things like this...people take too much too personally.

But I now understand why people don't respond...I wouldn't like it...but they have probably got so many tyrantic and irrate and people who are highly critical and over judgemental screaming at them via cyberspace or phone that they just don't bother unless they are absolutely sure they want to shoot...and then others are probably in the process of seeking another hobby.lol

Tis life...
You can't please everyone all of the time...but you sure can pizz em off most of the time...even if you didn't mean to. :-)

Jun 03 06 09:07 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Im a naturally friendly but serious person...and I could never see why I would argue with someone I don't even know...thats too much energy.

I also couldn't see why they would go out of their way to argue with me...

I reply always unless its a disrespectful inquiry like (How much would it take for you to do *blank?*)

If someone...anyone sends me a message and I recieve it I reply and tell them as much as they need to know in professional courtesy...I find that the more amicable the photographers personality is...the more id like to work with him/her and the more professional their tone, demeanore and style of responding or not responding is.

The less professional a photog is the more likely they are to be imature.

I find that a bit troubling because a inexperienced up and coming photog like myself needs to have a (nice side) if I want to ever get people to work with me...especially tfcd/tfp...would you do a tfcd/tfp with someone that irritates you? lol :-)

You should be paid for that much stress...hahaha

Jun 03 06 09:14 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Actionlens wrote:
It is normally the models with the worst photos that dont respond!! The others are quite cool! and it is everywhere like that - from here to Jurgita to Mercer Models to GG - so dont feel bad...

Hey! I resent this...I DID respond remember?
I tooooollld you that I can't

COPY & PASTED

Saturday June 3, 2006
Dear Photog,
Im sorry but I can't reply to your message...unfortunately someone cut off and stole all of my ten fingers. They should be back in a couple of days...ill let you know if I can do your shoot then.

Yours Truly,
Fingerless C.Unique :-)

See...so ha!

Jun 03 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Jim T Photography

Frackville, Pennsylvania, US

I find this quiet often on this site.. I talk to a model setup a shoot she/he  loves the ideas I have then when it comes time to shoot they don’t show up or don’t confirm… I usually give them a second chance then just move on..

Jun 03 06 09:23 am Link

Model

Krystin

Friendly, Maryland, US

To be quite honest sometimes I really forget. I gread the message in a rush and tell myself I'll respond later and then get so caught up with other things it never happens. Granted, that's not the most professional thing, but sometimes people are trying to balance a lot.

On that note, I also get quite a few photographers that don't respond to me. It's ok, I just figure they have more important things to do.

Jun 03 06 09:38 am Link

Model

CarolineVictoria

Beverly Hills, California, US

I may not reply the very second I read the email.  But, I definitely reply w/in 2-3 days even if I am NOT interested.

Caroline Victoria

Jun 03 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Dave Blecman

Annapolis, Maryland, US

What does it take to be listed on this web site? A few photos?

So post a few photos, fill out a profile, and call yourself a model or photographer. No test to pass, no classes to take, nothing.

That being said, anyone can call themselves a model or photographer and post some photos.

If yhou send an e-mail out to 10 models or 10 photographers, are you really e-mailing 10 serious models or photographers? Probably not.

And if they have a great portfolio, and don't reply to you, then they just plain don't care.

In any industry, 95% of the people will fail and 5% will succeed, so if you e-mail 20 models and 2 reply, that's about right.

Keep trying. The good guys will succeed.

Jun 03 06 09:44 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

EX:
There is a photog that I am very much looking forward to shooting with...both of us will be investing in this shoot so its taking some time...im not sure how long...he understands that I have to (live) in the meantime so that is why people (scheduale) ...I understand he has to (live) in the meantime so that is why I am very patient and don't suffocate him with inquires as to when the shoot will be...it will obviously take place when he feels able to do it and comfortable with his settup...ya see? Now that is cool...he gets what he wants...I get what I want...thats the end of it.

Unless there is more going on...there is no need to make a big deal out of it...now if he was a no show and I invested 200-2000 id (rescheduale) if he had a legitmate reason I wouldn't beat him over the head about it...at least not if he called me the day before (emails don't count ppl...you can get an email while you are sitting infront of the persons house...that doens't help much does it? ) lol

But I would reschedule...now unless they are sleeping together and/or dating it should be the end of things at that point...but there is no way id expect him to argue with someone he doesn't even know...thats a waist of his time and I don't need to know all of his buisness...all I need to know is that he sincerely had to cancel and is looking forward to the shoot...anything beyond that is for a date...(if it were a date) to be wimpering about.

Some people have personalities that can just give you a migraine...so in some cases I don't think a model or photog should do tfcd/tfp...at all...if this person hounds you and hounds you...and is impolite, rude, smug then make them pay for your time...that way they can be the boss...and charge them alot too. :-)

Jun 03 06 09:52 am Link