Forums > General Industry > Swimsuit rates broken down by type?

Photographer

Nic

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Is is normal/common for a model to have different rates for different styles of swimwear?

I contacted a model and she sent me back her rates here is what she said...

Depending on the swimwear:
full coverage 65/hour
brazillian 85/hour
thong 125/hour

Ok I 'm fairly new to the scene but I have never heard of this is. Is this common? To break down the rate by cut of the suit? How many of you have run across this please?

Nic smile

May 09 06 08:23 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

i mostly model swimwear and never base rates on style of the suit. I have never heard of anyone doing this before....thats new to me.

May 09 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Her rates are reasonable (even the thong rates), what's the upset?

It would seem she wants more money to bare her ass, can't blame her for that. . . it actually makes sense. For example, say a model's rate is $150 per hour for  fashion, the agencies asks $300 for swimsuit & lingerie (the rate doubles), and there's usually a three hour minimum.

May 09 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Find another model...Don't waist your time with that..

Mike

May 09 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Thats ridiculous, especially in Florida with models in bikinis everywhere. You should be able to get topless/nude for $125/hr. Move on, shes obviously clueless.

May 09 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

I agree with last two, find another model.

May 09 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Nic

MichaelBell wrote:
Thats ridiculous, especially in Florida with models in bikinis everywhere. You should be able to get topless/nude for $125/hr. Move on, shes obviously clueless.

Yes I have had a lot of offers for $100 for nudes with very attractive models with experience. TFP/TCD for swimwear. I am trying to set up a heavy shooting schedule for after I move back to downtown St Pete this weekend to revamp my port.

Nic

May 10 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

1 boob small nipple = $5

2 boob = $ 7.95

Ass crack = $ 10

Big nipple bonus = .50 per nip

Front full nude = $ 17.85

Full open legs = $ 19.99

Great face, great eyes wonderful expression....... Priceless !

FA

May 10 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

John W Cochran wrote:
I agree with last two, find another model.

Yeah, God forbid a model wants to get paid! Onward through the fog!

May 10 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

LighthousePhoto

COLLEGE POINT, New York, US

She has a price for different things, you have the choice to work with her and pay those prices. If you don't want to then she doesn't get paid by you, if no one wants to pay her then she doesn't get paid and her prices should go down, or she should find a new profession. Isn't the free market wonderful!

May 10 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

ON THE INTERNET.................

..................NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM!!!!

That's what I call "Prosti-Pricing" - so much for this; and so much for that; for an extra ten bucks I'll do that too; and no kissing for less than....

Anyone charging like that is f**king you but without actually engaging in a sex act.

Studio36

POST SCRIPT:

Q: How do you make a hormone?

A: Give her an extra ten bucks!

May 10 06 05:52 am Link

Model

ash smith

London, England, United Kingdom

ha... that is pretty funny...
i guess rates are different depending on location, but usually its standard swimwear- $... casul-$... lingerie-$... etc etc etc

model swimwear rate- $125

model nude rate- $200 and up

chance model will show- not likely

camera equipment-$oh thousands and up

a decent mua- atleast $200 and up

finding a real model that makes the shoot worth it- priceless! there are some things in life money can buy, for everything else... theres model mayhem1

May 10 06 06:00 am Link

Photographer

CLONE

Salisbury, Maryland, US

get a blow up doll lol

May 10 06 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Nic

Well I can understand it as if I was approached I would charge a different rate for trunks, Speedo, and thong out of embarrassment! (lol) But as a woman I think it would all be the same as long as tasteful. (There's nothing tasteful about me in a Speedo or a thong! (lol)

I am just curious how many others have heard of this.

Nic

May 10 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Ashley Belle wrote:
ha... that is pretty funny...
i guess rates are different depending on location, but usually its standard swimwear- $... casul-$... lingerie-$... etc etc etc

model swimwear rate- $125

model nude rate- $200 and up

chance model will show- not likely

camera equipment-$oh thousands and up

a decent mua- atleast $200 and up

finding a real model that makes the shoot worth it- priceless! there are some things in life money can buy, for everything else... theres model mayhem1

Finding a model that makes a commitment, when the photographer resets his schedule to work with the model that is "worth it" .... and she is a no show / no call - Costly ! 

Contact Ash Flake should you want to experience this first hand !

May 10 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

I think I'll start charging models more money for wearing more clothes. tongue

May 10 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Models....it's THEIR body, THEY have a right to set their own prices.

Photographers, we also have a right to set our own prices or to pay or not pay for a model as we see fit.

Complaining about a model's rates is tacky and unprofessional.

May 10 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Georgegraphy

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MichaelNicoletti wrote:
Is is normal/common for a model to have different rates for different styles of swimwear?

I contacted a model and she sent me back her rates here is what she said...

full coverage 65/hour
brazillian 85/hour
thong 125/hour

Ok I 'm fairly new to the scene but I have never heard of this is. Is this common? To break down the rate by cut of the suit? How many of you have run across this please?

Nic smile

Hello: I wonder what is a brazilian swimwear smile...we use full coverage, bikinis and tangas (thongs) in Brasil and Argentina.
Models in my places use to get paid by the hour, an entire shooting or we get paid by the agencies, using swimwear or any cloth.
Its all about the time, not the cloth.
Cheers, Geo smile

May 10 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Afablb wrote:
1 boob small nipple = $5

2 boob = $ 7.95

Ass crack = $ 10

Big nipple bonus = .50 per nip

Front full nude = $ 17.85

Full open legs = $ 19.99

Great face, great eyes wonderful expression....... Priceless !

FA

That is the funniest post I've read in weeks! Thanks for making my day...

May 10 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

orinxpress

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I can see how a model might want to define the type of swimwear, since it can range from one piece, to bikini, to stuff that is so skimpy and transparent it leaves nothing to the imagination. I'm not judgemental, since it is all out there.

The rates she quoted seemed a little steep though. I'd think negotiate to 33-50% less, depending on her quality.

May 10 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Not to hijack the thread (I think this is related) but I have always wondered about this:

Scenario: Model A charges 50 dollars an hour for fashion, 75 for swimwear, 100 for nude.

You do a three hour shoot with this model.  You spend a total of 2.5 hours shooting fashion, and 30 minutes shooting nude.

Should the model charge you 100 per hour because she did nude at all?  How is this typically handled?

Would be curious to see how people are approaching this.

May 10 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Avicdar wrote:
Not to hijack the thread (I think this is related) but I have always wondered about this:

Scenario: Model A charges 50 dollars an hour for fashion, 75 for swimwear, 100 for nude.

You do a three hour shoot with this model.  You spend a total of 2.5 hours shooting fashion, and 30 minutes shooting nude.

Should the model charge you 100 per hour because she did nude at all?  How is this typically handled?

Work it out with your model and agree on what seems fair to both.

May 10 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Note To Self: Revise pricelist to reflect appropriate rates for each type of gear. Charge stupid amount for the big momma lens that will capture the beauty of her brazilian ass crack at 500 meters.

May 10 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

That's just too much.

Modeling is modeling. You work in the genres in which you're comfortable and skilled. You charge a rate based on your skill.

To charge more based on the amount of skin makes no sense. All that says is that you're more skilled at being nude than clothed? Is that what different rates is supposed to mean?

I'm going to change my rates.

RATES FOR PHOTOGRAPHY:

$75/hour for nude
$100/hour for lingerie
$125/hour for fashion
$175/hour for headshots

Sound fair?

May 10 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

Nick Ryder wrote:

Yeah, God forbid a model wants to get paid! Onward through the fog!

I'm all for the models getting paid, but I believe the way her scale is set up is not like any  models I've talk with. 

Most have rates for glamour,lingerie, fashion, implied, or nude, all of which mean different things to different people.  If she can find photographer to pay her rates then good for her, I would not do a break down like that myself.

The models I've paid have been paid an agreed up on amount for the whole shoot, and the ones that have paid me paid an agreed upon rate for my time and services.

May 10 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Nic

Aperture Photographics wrote:
Models....it's THEIR body, THEY have a right to set their own prices.

Photographers, we also have a right to set our own prices or to pay or not pay for a model as we see fit.

Complaining about a model's rates is tacky and unprofessional.

I never complained just simply asked a question of those who know more in the industry if this is standard so that I am better informed.

I do not have an issue with the rates I just had never heard of them being broken down this way.

Make sense? I have not seen anyone else post that this is the norm. Have you?

Nice port BTW! I hope to achieve your level of quality soon! Then surpass it! wink~ Hey a guy can dream right! (lol)

Nic smile

May 10 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Nic

quote]
Hello: I wonder what is a brazilian swimwear smile...we use full coverage, bikinis and tangas (thongs) in Brasil and Argentina.
Models in my places use to get paid by the hour, an entire shooting or we get paid by the agencies, using swimwear or any cloth.
Its all about the time, not the cloth.
Cheers, Geo smile

Me to so I asked and hereis what she said and what I said.. I will change her name for obvious reasons...

Unnamed model....

I am not doing TFP.
My rates depend on the project
Lingere 1-3 hours can run $150-$250 depending on the style of lingere
Implied nudity 1 hour $150
Lifestyle/editorial $45/hour

Thanks!

Unnamed model

MichaelNicoletti
05/09/06 3:29 PM
(Message read)  Thats sounds fair. Let me get moved in and we can talk about setting up a shoot. How about swimwear rates? Whats your schedule look like for late may and early june? 

05/09/06 7:03 PM
Nic,

I am booked solid through the first week in June....

full coverage 65/hour
brazillian 85/hour
thong 125/hour

Thanks; Unnamed model

MichaelNicoletti
05/09/06 8:14 PM
(Message read)  You have different rates for different style suits? 

Unnamed model
yep. the more my butt shoes, the higher my rates! wink

MichaelNicoletti
05/09/06 10:38 PM
(Message read)  An expensive ass huh? Whats a Brazillian? (lol) I'm not familiar. And this would all be in your suits. smile

Hows mid to late June on a weekend? Whats open?

Nic smile 

Unnamed model
05/10/06 9:20 AM
Oh! I'm sorry, I confused you w/ someone earlier who was inquiring about my rates for THEIR swimwear. If it's my suits, I will do 65/hour.

FYI: Brazillian is VERY SMALL bottoms!!!

I am open anytime on the weekend of the 30th of June. But headsup, I may have to post-pone (you would have at least a weeks notice...I think) because my fiance is scheduled to come home from Afghanistan anywhere from late June to mid July. I'm anticipating mid July, however if I find out he is coming home that weekend, I would have to post-pone w/ you....he's been gone a year! wink

Unnamed model

MichaelNicoletti
05/10/06 10:03 AM
(Unread)  So your's are all "Granny Pannies"? (lol) Just kidding. I really am not familiar with womens fashion...(Obviously! lol) Are these like yours? The style we are talking about?

(Sent link from shots she had in her profile here on MM as examples)

This is all for my port, not for monetary gain etc. I'm just trying to make sure we are on the same page to eleviate any confusion. I'm fairly new to all this. smile I'm looking for a little looser look from you. Not so catalog looking poses. More Glamour type swimsuit I guess you would say. Playful stuff teasing the camera. Interesting poses, etc. Know what I mean? I'm having a hard time putting into words what I envision from our shoot. Sexy not slutty but something that grabs the viewer and does not look so commercial I guess. Make sense?

I totally understand about you might having to move the date and it's not a problem at all with a weeks notice. Especially for that reason! smile It's got to be tough to be away from the one you love for so long. sad

The weekend of June 30th is the 4th of July weekend. Shall we set it up tentatively and you can confirm with me a week or so before?

Nic smile

*****End of interaction so far. ******

This was all posted jut to be fair as to explain my confusion and asking whether or not this is the norm. To "Edjumekate" me better! (lol)

Nic smile

May 10 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Nic

Avicdar wrote:

The way I see it if they want to break it down... So do I!  (lol)

May 10 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

One of the things that cracks me up about these discussions is that the best models that I have shot with have all done so on a TFCD basis. They didn't ask for money and were paid no money. The shoots, which included implieds, full nudes and a mix of other styles, were done simply because we both wished to do so. No hassles, no "tude," no silly demands - nada. Just delightful women participating in fun shoots in which we both felt that we gained something valuable.

May 10 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brewer35MM

Biddeford, Maine, US

For a $125.00, make sure she has the right ass for a thong.
Nothing worst than the wrong ass in a thong.

May 10 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Nic

John W Cochran wrote:
I'm all for the models getting paid, but I believe the way her scale is set up is not like any models I've talk with. 

Most have rates for glamour, lingerie, fashion, implied, or nude, all of which mean different things to different people.  If she can find photographer to pay her rates then good for her, I would not do a break down like that myself.

The models I've paid have been paid an agreed up on amount for the whole shoot, and the ones that have paid me paid an agreed upon rate for my time and services.

Well her rates are not bad at all for what she brings to the table especially as she is willing to go as low as $65 an hour and according to her port and profile is a published model (yet to be determined but believed) It was just the whole curved scale I had never heard of and wondered if this was the norm and that I would run into it again. So when I was doing a shoot and a model said.

"oh wait...If I am going to wear this suit the price will now double!" And my response would normally be... "Really now? Hmm! Gee I guess our whole deal is now off and you just wasted my time! See ya! No money! No images! All deleted and we call it a wash sweetheart!" as I pack up my couple thousand dollars of equipment and carry it off the beach looking for a tiki bar and a tourist who wants some free pics! Out of my own  stupidity for not knowing any better (lol)

Ya gotta love Florida though! (lol) Theres always a ton of bikinis on the beach! smile

Nic smile

May 10 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Nic

J Merrill Images wrote:
One of the things that cracks me up about these discussions is that the best models that I have shot with have all done so on a TFCD basis. They didn't ask for money and were paid no money. The shoots, which included implieds, full nudes and a mix of other styles, were done simply because we both wished to do so. No hassles, no "tude," no silly demands - nada. Just delightful women participating in fun shoots in which we both felt that we gained something valuable.

I so agree! smile

May 10 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

MichaelNicoletti wrote:

I never complained just simply asked a question of those who know more in the industry if this is standard so that I am better informed.

I do not have an issue with the rates I just had never heard of them being broken down this way.

Make sense? I have not seen anyone else post that this is the norm. Have you?

Nice port BTW! I hope to achieve your level of quality soon! Then surpass it! wink~ Hey a guy can dream right! (lol)

Nic smile

Thanks.

and I didn't mean to say that YOU were complaining.  There's been plenty of others though. 

To me, whether it's photography or modeling, it's like shopping.....there are different retailers who price their goods and services differently, and we all choose to shop or not shop based upon everything from price, to what's included in the good or service, to what's convenient, to what is appropriate for the job.  All retailers have different cost structures and pricing structures (i.e. CostCo prices differently than Sears). 

I don't have an issue with Sears pricing, but I seldom shop there.  Maybe she's got a reason for her pricing structure that makes sense to her, and maybe it's different than the norm. 

As photographers and artists, and business owners or hobbyists, we all have different pricing structures and packaging that make sense to us.  Actor Head shots, family groups, glamour, nudes....all have different requirements for my time, which assistants I use for the project, and so on, so they all have different pricing.  Wal-Mart Photo Studio has one price, and that's fine by me, but it's not how I price.

May 10 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Alcantar

Beaumont, California, US

Move on

May 10 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Nic

Brewer35MM wrote:
For a $125.00, make sure she has the right ass for a thong.
Nothing worst than the wrong ass in a thong.

She has a great ass but it's not worth $125.00 when I can can get just as pretty with better figures for $100 an hour nude all day long and choose not to. But there is something about her I have seen in her pics I want to bring out. Thus my dilemma! (lol)

May 10 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Simon Gerzina

Brooklyn, New York, US

Chris Ambler wrote:
That's just too much.

Modeling is modeling. You work in the genres in which you're comfortable and skilled. You charge a rate based on your skill.

To charge more based on the amount of skin makes no sense. All that says is that you're more skilled at being nude than clothed? Is that what different rates is supposed to mean?

I'm so glad you posted that so I didn't have to. 

I don't get why people accept that scheme...it's a total internet model invention.  Anywhere else in modeling rates are simply based on duration of job and usage (and budget, realistically).  If you call XYZ Agency and book three girls the rate is gonna be the rate regardless of whether or not the camera sees someone's boob.  And the models will either be comfortable showing skin or not, but that won't change the rate.

May 10 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

g-man

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Have never had a model quote different rates for different styles of swimwear before, but it is similar to the variable rates that some models charge for different kinds of attire.  So it makes some sense.  However, I would not pay those rates. tongue

May 11 06 12:44 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MichaelNicoletti wrote:
quote]
.I will change her name for obvious reasons...

Nic smile

Eh Hem, you err..kinda left her name in one of those transmissions I suggest you go back and delete it...just giving you the heads up..

May 11 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Isys Entertainment wrote:

Eh Hem, you err..kinda left her name in one of those transmissions I suggest you go back and delete it...just giving you the heads up..

Yes you did and it looks like any other Fla model that will shoot swimsuit TFP. Move on...

May 11 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

MichaelNicoletti wrote:
But there is something about her I have seen in her pics I want to bring out. Thus my dilemma! (lol)

The only thing you will bring out is your cheque book...

Dilemma? No friggen dilemma there.

Studio36

May 11 06 05:47 am Link