Forums > General Industry > T & A,,,Models that is not enough

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

It is very difficult to find models that actually understand the "art" of modeling.  I see so many "dead faced" models out there and they all have one thing in common!  They all have T & A and nothing else!

Show me an average model that can speak with her eyes and face I will show you an employable model.  Show me a rocket hot model that could not make a facial expression other than the coveted "pissed off" look and I will show you a starving model!

Show me a model with T & A,  AND the ability to show honest to God facial expressions, convey mood and intent with her or his eyes,,I will show you a SUPER MODEL!

Models......learn you craft!  Models....take the time to research and study.  In short; to be successful DO WHAT THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE DO!

May 09 06 03:47 pm Link

Model

_ALMUR_

San Francisco, California, US

ok, but i've shot with photogs that didnt know crap about lighting and angles. give me a photographer that has lighting but bad angles and i'll show you.... it goes both ways!!! if the pose and face are on target, and the angle is wrong, then the photo sucks. either way....

May 09 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

The same rules apply to photographers!  I agree with you 100% ! ! !  I ama photographer and I have sepnt thousand of dollars on gear and I have spent countless hours learning, like modeling it takes effort and dedication if you want to be really good at it!

May 09 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

_ALMUR_

San Francisco, California, US

ok, good. than we agree. i will learn if you will learn

May 09 06 03:58 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Actually, I'm just T. Not much in the way of A.  And while I may appear to be starving, I'm actually doing okay with my sole pissed-off expression. Okay, fine, I can do bored, too. Bored and pissed. I'm a veritable Zoolander!

May 09 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Theda,,,,LOL,,,,love the zoolander reference!  Hey, I think that learning is a ever evolving process and I as a photographer learn something new each time I shoot!  I LOVE working with models and I see SOOOOO many with such potential and drive but do not do the little things to move ahead of the pack!  Little things like books, watching ANTM,,,etc,. 

I am butt ugly that is why I am a photographer LOL!

May 09 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

theda wrote:
Actually, I'm just T. Not much in the way of A.  And while I may appear to be starving, I'm actually doing okay with my sole pissed-off expression. Okay, fine, I can do bored, too. Bored and pissed. I'm a veritable Zoolander!

Are you sure?  Theda - hed = T & A smile

May 09 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Scott Evans wrote:
It is very difficult to find models that actually understand the "art" of modeling.  I see so many "dead faced" models out there and they all have one thing in common!  They all have T & A and nothing else!

Show me an average model that can speak with her eyes and face I will show you an employable model.  Show me a rocket hot model that could not make a facial expression other than the coveted "pissed off" look and I will show you a starving model!

Show me a model with T & A,  AND the ability to show honest to God facial expressions, convey mood and intent with her or his eyes,,I will show you a SUPER MODEL!

Models......learn you craft!  Models....take the time to research and study.  In short; to be successful DO WHAT THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE DO!

I have taken a half of a glass of ice water and poured on a nude model to get some expressions.  It worked, and the models was laughing when it was all over.

It's not all the models fault.

May 09 06 04:04 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Scott Evans wrote:
Theda,,,,LOL,,,,love the zoolander reference!  Hey, I think that learning is a ever evolving process and I as a photographer learn something new each time I shoot!  I LOVE working with models and I see SOOOOO many with such potential and drive but do not do the little things to move ahead of the pack!  Little things like books, watching ANTM,,,etc,. 

I am butt ugly that is why I am a photographer LOL!

Can we really consider watching ANTM a step in the right direction? Reality TV has very little to do with reality... I'm not sure if books are particularly useful either, as there are so many niches in modeling. I don't think it would do much good for me to read Trya Banks' ghost-written story of rising to the top of the Paris fashion world as a 12-foot-tall Afro-American teen.  I don't think anyone has written a book about how to being a 27-year-old art/fetish model in NYC when you really don't like dealing with people very much.

May 09 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

No doubt that it is not all the models fault.  Photographers need personality as well, they need the ability bring it out of the model, but that process should not take up the whole shoot is all I am saying.  I as a photographer need to come to a shoot as prepared as I can, and I do evey time.  This does not mean that there aren't things to learn etc,.  This means that I must work and prepare and not just show up with a camera and call myself a "photographer", as so many photographers do!

May 09 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Then you should be writing that book theda.....

May 09 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

theda wrote:
Can we really consider watching ANTM a step in the right direction? Reality TV has very little to do with reality... I'm not sure if books are particularly usefull either, as there are so many niches in modeling. I don't think it would doo much good for me to read Trya Banks' ghost-written story of rising to the top of the Paris fashion world as a 12 foot tall Afro-American teen.  I don't think anyone has written a book about how to being a 27-year-old art/fetish model in NYC when you really don't like dealing with people very much.

Not the silly "drama" part of the show, but the advice giving part of the show.  Say what you will about Tyra Banks, she is successful and if I were modeling I would listen to what the professionals on that show had to say.  I cannot stand that show from a entertainment aspect, but I have picked up a thing or 2 from it.  I cannot just show up with a camea and call myself a photographer, l;ike so many photogs do LOL

May 09 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Anyway,,,,I said this for models and the same applies to photographers!  Take the time to learn this the best you can!  It will serve you in the long run!  And Theda,,,,I assumed that those who felt this did not apply to them would simply pass over this post :-)  You are one who does not at all look like you fall into this catagory of not knowing how to model!  You're awesome!

May 09 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

??

May 09 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

So does that mean if I try to shove my handheld meter up my nose, I'm demonstrating both good technical lighting knowledge as well as working to get a reaction from the model?

Because you know, I'll try anything to get the shot!

May 09 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:
I have taken a half of a glass of ice water and poured on a nude model to get some expressions.  It worked, and the models was laughing when it was all over.

I'd laff too, after I'd shoved your telephoto so far up your transverse colon that it came out your ear. That always cracks me up!

GWC!

May 09 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

Ummm

May 09 06 07:34 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

Alexandria M. wrote:
ok, but i've shot with photogs that didnt know crap about lighting and angles. give me a photographer that has lighting but bad angles and i'll show you.... it goes both ways!!! if the pose and face are on target, and the angle is wrong, then the photo sucks. either way....

Yup it can definatly go both ways.

May 09 06 07:39 pm Link

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

I'm not much of one for the T or the A.  That style doesn't suit me.  Sorry to those who think that it's a negative for some models not to show the goods.
I do get what you are saying about one or the other but better with both, though.  It makes sense, but just on my side, I feel that some models just don't NEED to show it to be successful.

May 09 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Some photographers know how to work with new models. Know how to get interesting poses and facial expressions.

Other photographers do not.

The latter category should only work with exprienced models.

May 09 06 07:48 pm Link

Model

Danella Williams

Miami, Florida, US

Okay so I totally understand you on that one...problem for me is that..no matter how the expression looks in person..when the picture comes out..it looks like they were all the same. I stand and practice in the mirror a lot and take pictures trying to do different things with my face and eyes..but nothing on camera. What would you suggest I do??

May 09 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Scott,

I'm not sure who you've worked with but if you search carefully on this site you'll find numerous models who are extremely expressive. These models know they need to stay sharp in thier field and know how to play to the camera. It's true that models are one part of a successful shoot but they are a crucial one at that! Keep shooting!

Rich

May 09 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

theda wrote:

That's a look most photographers have mastered as well, just done holding a camera...  LOL

May 09 06 08:05 pm Link

Model

Chelly Jang

Orlando, Florida, US

hmmmm such deep thoughts

May 09 06 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

GWC wrote:

I'd laff too, after I'd shoved your telephoto so far up your transverse colon that it came out your ear. That always cracks me up!

GWC!

it's a creative, round about, back door sort of technique, but GWC (Guy With Colon) is nothing if not creative...

May 09 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What about models whose only expression looks like they smell a fart?

May 09 06 08:11 pm Link

Model

Christina MJ

Naugatuck, Connecticut, US

As a model trying to learn ...

What is T & A and what is GWC?

Go ahead. Laugh. I could have instead looked like an idiot trying to make it seemed like I knew what I was talking about. =P

May 09 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Christina Janeiro wrote:
As a model trying to learn ...

What is T & A and what is GWC?

Go ahead. Laugh. I could have instead looked like an idiot trying to make it seemed like I knew what I was talking about. =P

T&A is not exactly a modeling term. Think about it. You'll figure it out.

GWC=Guy With Cocaine, I think

May 09 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

How many "guys with cameras"  pics have we seen and they stick a model next to a tree and take a random shot, then claim to be photographers?

The same with models, the have a snap shot and it's taken in their living room standing next to a Christmas tree, very amateur and then "Yes, yes, I am a model, critique my port"  ...  I feel like saying, "no you're not and that's not a port, it's more of a Photo Album".

I think the real question is, out of all the member here, how many are actually in the game? It's easy enough to post a few pics and make some blanket statements...but, the bottom line, despite how much a person claims to be a model or a photographer, it's the industry that gets to make the determination.

May 09 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

theda wrote:

To be fair, in the "Okay, so maybe the Navy WAS like this..." shot, you actually appear casually interested in something...

May 09 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Nick Ryder wrote:
How many "guys with cameras"  pics have we seen and they stick a model next to a tree and take a random shot, then claim to be photographers?

The same with models, the have a snap shot and it's taken in their living room standing next to a Christmas tree, very amateur and then "Yes, yes, I am a model, critique my port"  ...  I feel like saying, "no you're not and that's not a port, it's more of a Photo Album".

I think the real question is, out of all the member here, how many are actually in the game? It's easy enough to post a few pics and make some blanket statements...but, the bottom line, despite how much a person claims to be a model or a photographer, it's the industry that gets to make the determination.

The difference between a GWC (male or female) and a real "Pro Photographer" is simply time, experience and the ability to learn.  Every single "Pro" out there started out at some point as just a GWC.  Every single model, from an internet model working full time and making a nice living to supermodel Tyra Banks also started out in circumstances where the best shot in their portfolio was probably one of those Christmas tree shots.  There are some photographers with 20 years of experience still making the same basic mistakes in composition and lighting.  Ditto for models who never learn the basics of conveying mood, expression and communication with just a look.  What makes a "Pro" on either side of the camera is that willingness and ability to learn.  Nobody has a big impressive portfolio from day one, and everybody has a "day one."

May 09 06 09:17 pm Link

Model

MaryPetiteModel

Though I completely sympathize with the frustration in working with "unskilled" models, the world is filled with mediocrity.  I, too, wish more models would take the time to even flip through a few issues of a European Vogue, commercial catalog, etc. (learn by example).  But, it's the same in *every* industry...some are willing to work, and some prefer to coast.  The better models DO pay attention to the pros and emulate them.

Unfortunately, we can only change our *own* behavior.  The other guy/gal is responsible for their own success (or failure).

Seek out those who are "on your level" and try to work solely with them.  You'll save yourself an awful lot of aggravation (not to mention time and film) in the long run.

May 09 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

MaryPetiteModel wrote:
Though I completely sympathize with the frustration in working with "unskilled" models, the world is filled with mediocrity.  I, too, wish more models would take the time to even flip through a few issues of a European Vogue, commercial catalog, etc. (learn by example).  But, it's the same in *every* industry...some are willing to work, and some prefer to coast.  The better models DO pay attention to the pros and emulate them.

Unfortunately, we can only change our *own* behavior.  The other guy/gal is responsible for their own success (or failure).

Seek out those who are "on your level" and try to work solely with them.  You'll save yourself an awful lot of aggravation (not to mention time and film) in the long run.

Seeking out professionals I agree with, the same rule apply to photographers.  My whole point in all of this was simply; there is more to modeling than just looking good.  If you want to excell, work at it.  The cost is realitively low to get material to be a good model.  This is in direct contrast to obtaining the material to be a good photographer, the costs are in the thousands.  Spen a little mony and more time learning your craft it will pay off in the end.

May 10 06 10:49 am Link

Model

MaryPetiteModel

Scott Evans wrote:
[The cost is realitively low to get material to be a good model.  This is in direct contrast to obtaining the material to be a good photographer, the costs are in the thousands.  Spen a little mony and more time learning your craft it will pay off in the end.

I couldn't agree more.  Good point about the cost of equipment, as well.  We models can even trek on down to Barnes&Noble and do our research for free!

Well...some of us aren't above it.  Those Vogues are pricey :-).

May 10 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I think it might be a tad over presumptuous to say that a model who displays a flat or blank look is unlearned.

Fact is that the best commercial models have fostered and thus profited from a blank and absent look. Take a look at vogue or elle or Marie Claire and you'll see what I mean. Go to a fashion show and you'll see what I mean.

May 10 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Some dont even have good T & A.
But that can be forgiven and surgically modified.

But not having great attitude and doing the research
of proper pose can not be forgiven or modified.

E L

May 10 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

ravens laughter wrote:
I think it might be a tad over presumptuous to say that a model who displays a flat or blank look is unlearned.

Fact is that the best commercial models have fostered and thus profited from a blank and absent look. Take a look at vogue or elle or Marie Claire and you'll see what I mean. Go to a fashion show and you'll see what I mean.

I've been wondering about this.  I look at these magazines, and I don't exactly see a range of expression.  Which makes sense, right?  It's not about the model as an individual, it's about whatever she's there to sell.

May 10 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
I've been wondering about this.  I look at these magazines, and I don't exactly see a range of expression.  Which makes sense, right?  It's not about the model as an individual, it's about whatever she's there to sell.

This is true.  However, earning a healthy paycheck from looking morbidly indifferent is a luxury very few models actually get.  And there are certainly plenty of fashion editorials and ad campaigns that call for a host of other emotions.  Those obnoxiously enthusiastic Tommy Hilfiger models are a good example.  Michael Kors "Michael" ads always display joyous opulance.  And there's a marked difference between the projection of mutual attraction that the models in the classic fragrance ads show and the I-might-just-be-alive-but-I'm-not-quite-certain look that some of these models who are trying to make it show...

May 10 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

E L Fanucchi wrote:
Some dont even have good T & A.
But that can be forgiven and surgically modified.

But not having great attitude and doing the research
of proper pose can not be forgiven or modified.

E L

Exactly!  Photogrpahers are expected to know what they are doing behing the camera (not all do I admit) I feel the same standard should apply to the person in front of the camera.

May 10 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Dawn Elle Ray wrote:
Okay so I totally understand you on that one...problem for me is that..no matter how the expression looks in person..when the picture comes out..it looks like they were all the same. I stand and practice in the mirror a lot and take pictures trying to do different things with my face and eyes..but nothing on camera. What would you suggest I do??

switch the side of the camera !

or change photographer smile

May 10 06 05:48 pm Link