Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

self taught and lots of damn practicing.  And i'll continue to keep doing so because I think we all should strive for better no matter what it is we are doing.  I do however love watching other people retouch and what have you.  So fascinating to see how many ways ONE thing can be done.

May 23 09 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chelsea Lauren Photo

West Hollywood, California, US

Solstice Photo wrote:

Woohoo! big_smile

Did you meet Pascal Dangin?

Hahah you're good smile  Yeah, he's amazing!

May 23 09 09:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Traciee D wrote:
self taught and lots of damn practicing.  And i'll continue to keep doing so because I think we all should strive for better no matter what it is we are doing.  I do however love watching other people retouch and what have you.  So fascinating to see how many ways ONE thing can be done.

So true!

We should record and post up clips of us doing so - it would be very helpful to all of us!

May 23 09 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

JanineWhite Photography

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Self taught here too smile

May 24 09 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Phil Neff

Timberville, Virginia, US

Self-taught, but I did score a great mentor recently.

May 24 09 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Blakberi Photography

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

I taught myself photography at the age of 15.  The only thing I have actually studied (apart from the usual) is FinalCut Pro.  Even then, I taught myself DVDStudio Pro.

May 24 09 03:27 am Link

Artist/Painter

E Clark 2

Hamilton, Ohio, US

Pedro P Polakoff III wrote:
Other than a photography class in high-school, self taught

Same here. Started to go to art school in the 80s. Took up serious drinking instead. Gave that up later.

May 24 09 06:52 am Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

im self taught, i would love to get some classes though

May 24 09 06:28 pm Link

Model

Countess Grotesque

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

Self taught in all computer things. Hand me a program and I'll figure it out ^.^

May 25 09 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Tiare Rush

Los Angeles, California, US

SELF taught well i  can't take all the credit.. I have had a few photographers in my life so far who have been of great help to me

May 25 09 03:05 am Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

I was born with a pencil in my hand and a skill that separates me from photographers and photo shoppers.  Streaming from a long line of artist on my mother and fathers side I am both classically trained through watchful eyes, questions, grade school, college, and experimentations in my on going pursuit to reach perfection.  What was the question?  Oh yeah,  Other mediums,  I specialize in pencil and paper, but I don't limit myself to any one particular medium.  I do photography, digital graphics, video, etc.  It would be easier to list what I don't do.  I am not to handy with a spray can.  I just never got the hang of that.  I think I will put that on my bucket list.

May 25 09 04:31 am Link

Retoucher

LMNDPT Retouching

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

self taught.. i make mistakes, then try to do better
internet helps, tutorials, forums etc.. and a lot of time!

May 25 09 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Photographer Simon Mott

Kirkland, Washington, US

We are both self taught in photography as well as Photoshop. Funny thing was a few years ago I got  PS 7 as a gift and it sat on my computer for a couple more years before I even touched it. As our interest rose in getting into photography so did our PS interest as well and thus began our fine journey.

Simon

May 25 09 09:34 am Link

Retoucher

HausofVanity

Philadelphia, New York, US

Google is my friend. lol

May 25 09 09:35 am Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

Self taught and continuing to learn new stuff every day.

Mike Kalcevic
MEK Photography

May 25 09 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Anna Inez

Columbus, Ohio, US

self taught...thinking about taking a few classes

May 25 09 09:37 am Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Self taught here!  One day just opened Photoshop while I was a photo editor for my yearbook and played with the program.

May 25 09 10:08 am Link

Retoucher

Retouched2000

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm self taught. Can you tell from my portfolio?

May 25 09 10:10 am Link

Retoucher

UltraviolethRetouch

Rīga, Rīga, Latvia

Everything's self taught

May 25 09 10:13 am Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Los Angeles, California, US

me, self taught.  7 Years on and off.  Started out with using 3d animation software and migrated to PS smile

May 25 09 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Flood

West Babylon, New York, US

Total self taught smile

May 25 09 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Totally self-taught here too.  I learn more about PS as I have the need to.  I've never had a mentor, teacher or anything else.

May 25 09 10:40 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

Studied at college, but I am self taught in every technique I use, so college was a waste of time for me.. I learnt nothing apart from how to change the colour of a car and blur skin neutral

I do feel the best way to learn is through trial and error. That way you don't just "copy" other peoples techniques.

May 26 09 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Elite Digital Design wrote:
Studied at college, but I am self taught in every technique I use, so college was a waste of time for me.. I learnt nothing apart from how to change the colour of a car and blur skin neutral

I do feel the best way to learn is through trial and error. That way you don't just "copy" other peoples techniques.

That trial and error part... Does that extend to things like setting up a custom color separation using the density matrix tool? That would be a pretty expensive trial and error laden process.

Learning how to spot knock a pimple is a pretty easy process, trying to teach yourself the heavy duty stuff can be a bit daunting, especially when you have no idea what it is, let alone what it does.

May 26 09 04:38 am Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

Robert Randall wrote:

That trial and error part... Does that extend to things like setting up a custom color separation using the density matrix tool? That would be a pretty expensive trial and error laden process.

Learning how to spot knock a pimple is a pretty easy process, trying to teach yourself the heavy duty stuff can be a bit daunting, especially when you have no idea what it is, let alone what it does.

Hmm, I see your point. At the end of the day you are going to have to go into photoshop and TRY for youself, but with the heavy duty stuff if you have no idea where to start then tutorials/books/lessons would come in handy tongue There's just so many to choose from.
I know I still have a LONG way to go until I get to where I want to be.. So I guess I'll  be turning to books sooner or later smile

May 26 09 04:45 am Link

Photographer

studio.obscura

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Born with it, the third eye---

May 26 09 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

James_B_II wrote:
I was born with a pencil in my hand and a skill that separates me from photographers and photo shoppers.  Streaming from a long line of artist on my mother and fathers side I am both classically trained through watchful eyes, questions, grade school, college, and experimentations in my on going pursuit to reach perfection.  What was the question?  Oh yeah,  Other mediums,  I specialize in pencil and paper, but I don't limit myself to any one particular medium.  I do photography, digital graphics, video, etc.  It would be easier to list what I don't do.  I am not to handy with a spray can.  I just never got the hang of that.  I think I will put that on my bucket list.

I sensed a great deal of pride and a certain arrogance in your post, so I went exploring to see what you're all about. I didn't find any of the art you spoke of, but I did find that you are turning Fresno into the next Hollywood, and your ad agency is producing ads with iStock watermarks all over them.

I would love to see some of the art that you were born with, but I don't want to see any iStock watermarks on it.

I've learned that as you get older you make fewer mistakes.

May 26 09 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Elite Digital Design wrote:

Hmm, I see your point. At the end of the day you are going to have to go into photoshop and TRY for youself, but with the heavy duty stuff if you have no idea where to start then tutorials/books/lessons would come in handy tongue There's just so many to choose from.
I know I still have a LONG way to go until I get to where I want to be.. So I guess I'll  be turning to books sooner or later smile

Maybe Rick Miller is lurking in here and he can point you to a book that covers the custom sep matrix. What I know about it I learned from Dan Margulis, but he doesn't really discuss it in his books, you have to go to class with him to learn it. Up until now, I've never seen anything about it in a book.

I use the tool to make seps that help me to isolate colors in order to make better masks more quickly.

May 26 09 04:55 am Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

Robert Randall wrote:

Maybe Rick Miller is lurking in here and he can point you to a book that covers the custom sep matrix. What I know about it I learned from Dan Margulis, but he doesn't really discuss it in his books, you have to go to class with him to learn it. Up until now, I've never seen anything about it in a book.

I use the tool to make seps that help me to isolate colors in order to make better masks more quickly.

Oh right, I'll keep an eye out thanks and have a look around for some books.

May 26 09 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

WG Retoucher wrote:
I'm self taught. Can you tell from my portfolio?

I can.

May 26 09 05:09 am Link

Retoucher

StaciC

Swansea, Illinois, US

I am, but I don't want to be, I want to learn the whole technical side  sad Im thinking of just getting a huge loan and going to uni ..  but im not sure if certain books could give me just as much info needed..

May 26 09 05:13 am Link

Photographer

HortenciaCaires

New York, New York, US

SCRetouching wrote:
I am, but I don't want to be, I want to learn the whole technical side  sad Im thinking of just getting a huge loan and going to uni ..  but im not sure if certain books could give me just as much info needed..

THATS HOW I FEEL! I am self taught, but I wanna know more and I wanna understand the technical part that I dont have access to learn, like studio Im not a pro at that or anywhere close to knowing everything. I know we are always learning, but I sometimes wanna go to a fun school. Like Interntional Academy of Design and Tech.

May 26 09 11:47 am Link

Photographer

KGToops Photography

Treasure Island, Florida, US

Have a BA in Art with photography as the focus. But really the only thing that taught me was how to take a harsh critique.

May 26 09 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

I am a self taught photographer but I took two photoshop classes and a printing class....

The internet was pivotal in my learning experience, though I am still learning and will continue to do so.

smile
Stacy Leigh

May 26 09 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

I would never try to pass myself off as a pro. retoucher, though...

I just thought I would add that!

May 26 09 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Jim Kassanoff

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

I believe the moment one reads a manual, a subject-related book, or watches an instructional video, one is no longer self-taught in that subject.  However, one may or may not be formally taught in said subject ;-)

May 26 09 11:55 am Link

Photographer

H B P

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Learned everything from books and the interweb.

May 26 09 11:56 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

I did have a couple years of high school photography, but that was mostly for the darkroom. Did learn a bit about developing, pushing, dodging and burning though. And putting other people's heads where they didn't belong. (lot harder before photoshop.)

Hey. I said it was high school.

May 26 09 11:57 am Link

Retoucher

High Def Retouching

London, England, United Kingdom

Self taught big_smile

May 26 09 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

KuttingEdge

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

selt taught, I am in college now for digital media. I can't wait to take photography in my 3rd semester!!

May 26 09 03:51 pm Link