Forums > General Industry > Models Offering Favors for Shoots! What the F--- ?

Photographer

Richard Cleveland

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

SE Photo wrote:
Totally understandable Richard, I was simply quoting the model.

I understand that I don't blame you.  I find it mind boggling that this crap goes on.  I just think we need to use more direct language so everyone is on the samw page.  There are alot of models and photographers that are under the impression that this industry is built on the scumbag principle.  I believe if you spell it out what we want up front there is no room for misinturpritation.  As Photographers our job is to express our intentions about a shoot clearly and upfront and be sure that the model understands. 

regards
Richard

May 03 06 11:28 am Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

C R Photography wrote:
Last time a model did me a "favor" for helping with her port I got crabs.....

No seriously, she took me to the Red Lobster for an all you can eat crab fest wink

Haha ..very cute

May 03 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

UdoR wrote:

Maybe she just wanted to paint your house?

Oh ... I'd paint his house, if you know what I mean. Say no more, say no more. Two winks and all that.

I've heard of this before, it's a little sad but back in the day I had a similar offer related to a wedding shoot, I know bridesmaids are suppose to take one for the bride but ...

May 03 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Richard Cleveland

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

SE Photo wrote:

Totally understandable Richard, I was simply quoting the model.

May 03 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

Hmm... any models out there that can do taxes?  Oh never mind! smile

In my case it's often "Me" offering the favours...

Picking models up at the bus station.
Buying models lunch or supper.
Getting models into fashion shows.

May 03 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:

No seriously, she took me to the Red Lobster for an all you can eat crab fest wink

Between your crabs and Brian's Pies, I'm getting pretty hungry, lol

May 03 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

SE Photo wrote:

yeah, according to her, it was actually "wierd" for me not to want "favors"

Most women are insulted when you turn down an offer of sex from them, regardless of the circumstances.

I was talking to a seriously hot "model" the other night (pretty sure she's a stripper).  She wanted to know what I would charge to shoot a portfolio for her.  I said "a whole port, start to finish?  That would be expensive."  Without missing a beat she says "how much if I'm fucking you?".

May 03 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

Actually the last shoot I did I was ironing the models dresses in advance while she was doing other clothes changes. We both had a great laugh with it. She said she never had a photographer offer to do her ironing for her before!  smile

May 03 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

SE Photo wrote:
Just recently I contacted a model here on MM to shoot for one of my projects, I was even willing to compensate her for her time, but then I get a responce asking if she can do any "favors" for me so that I can shoot her port.

Of course I was taken by surpise, and told her that the only favor I'd need is for her to work with me on my project, in exchange, I would shoot her project for her port. Long story short, She supposedly got "wierded out" because apparently, the other photographers she has worked with either asked for payment or favors.

*sigh*

If only I were a completely unethical scumbag.

*double sigh*

May 03 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lapis wrote:
Ironically, I have heard more horror stories about 'professional' photographers for cheesecake mags pulling a 'casting couch' scenerio on the models...who are then afraid to press charges for the sake of their careers.

I even hear about certain photographers who don't shoot for "cheesecake mags" but for  mainstream blue chip mags such as Zink and Vellum who pull that s#!t regularily!

May 03 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

o.k.--I'm calling your bluff...

Hey, someone had to say it.

May 03 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

Richard Cleveland wrote:

I understand that I don't blame you.  I find it mind boggling that this crap goes on.  I just think we need to use more direct language so everyone is on the samw page.  There are alot of models and photographers that are under the impression that this industry is built on the scumbag principle.  I believe if you spell it out what we want up front there is no room for misinturpritation.  As Photographers our job is to express our intentions about a shoot clearly and upfront and be sure that the model understands. 

regards
Richard

You're absolutely right Richard. So for those who don't understand what I mean by "favors," I meant sexual favors.

May 03 06 11:45 am Link

Model

Bettina

Los Angeles, California, US

CarolineVictoria wrote:
I actually feel sorry for her.  Sounds like she's prob gone thru life having no one do anything for her w/out wanting something in return.

Caroline

I agree. Or maybe she just thought you were hot??????

May 03 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Paramour Productions wrote:
I was talking to a seriously hot "model" the other night (pretty sure she's a stripper).  She wanted to know what I would charge to shoot a portfolio for her.  I said "a whole port, start to finish?  That would be expensive."  Without missing a beat she says "how much if I'm fucking you?"

I usually charge extra if the model wants sex too...

In that particular case, I'd give maybe a 10% rebate... wink

May 03 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

DJ wrote:
Very Sad ! ! !

I also agree!

May 03 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

SE Photo wrote:
Just recently I contacted a model here on MM to shoot for one of my projects, I was even willing to compensate her for her time, but then I get a responce asking if she can do any "favors" for me so that I can shoot her port.

UdoR wrote:
Maybe she just wanted to paint your house?

Hmmmm, you know, that isn't such a bad idea.  OK, my boat really needs to be painted.  I will make all models an offer.

If you want to shoot with me, I have a deal you can't refuse.  Normally I pay models and I know models don't like paying photographers.  So here is the deal.

You come and paint my boat and I will shoot you for free instead of paying you.

Does that work?

May 03 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Paramour Productions wrote:

Most women are insulted when you turn down an offer of sex from them, regardless of the circumstances.

I was talking to a seriously hot "model" the other night (pretty sure she's a stripper).  She wanted to know what I would charge to shoot a portfolio for her.  I said "a whole port, start to finish?  That would be expensive."  Without missing a beat she says "how much if I'm fucking you?".

I'd tell her, well it depends on how good you are.  (joking....yeah..that's the ticket)

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Ive never been offered Trix for Pix.  Nobody loves me.  :-(

-Jose

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bettina wrote:

I agree. Or maybe she just thought you were hot??????

How would she know what I look like? All this happened while just booking the shoot. Since I refused the offer, she didn't want to work with me.

May 03 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

barter is a legit form of exchange...for instance, if a person can cut hair, i'd barter for that service

or if the person is a graphic artist

or something else I would need and would cut my actual expenditures

now, were her favors offered sexual?

May 03 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

images by elahi wrote:
barter is a legit form of exchange...for instance, if a person can cut hair, i'd barter for that service

or if the person is a graphic artist

or something else I would need and would cut my actual expenditures

now, were her favors offered sexual?

Yesthey were sexual favors, if she wanted to clean my place, I'd be shooting with her every week, lol

May 03 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

Joeys Angels wrote:
o.k.--I'm calling your bluff...

Hey, someone had to say it.

Wish i could prove it to you, but MM rules are MM rules. Can't put anyone on the spot no matter how messed up they are. If it were up to me, I'd post the IM

May 03 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SE Photo wrote:

Yesthey were sexual favors, if she wanted to clean my place, I'd be shooting with her every week, lol

lol wow, dang...now which model is she again? LOL

that's like

model prostitution

photographic prostitution

hoin' for the folio

givin' up legg for the lens

May 03 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Just forward the model my id. I can counsel her and make her feel like she's worth more than she gives herself credit for.

May 03 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

apparently LOL she had no idea who Albert S. is huh? LOL
if she had, she never would have thought...............

May 03 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

Vito wrote:
Just forward the model my id. I can counsel her and make her feel like she's worth more than she gives herself credit for.

LOL! good one

May 03 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

I have to admit if a Photographer asked for "favours" for a shoot the only real favour he would need thereafter would be from the local proctologist.

May 03 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

C R Photography wrote:

OMG, I nearly peed my pants(smile).
I love these forums...

May 03 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Sirensong wrote:
I have to admit if a Photographer asked for "favours" for a shoot the only real favour he would need thereafter would be from the local proctologist.

Ok fine. I'll stop asking models to hold my bags.

May 03 06 12:28 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

on my second shoot the phtographer demanded a "favor" in exchange for my pictures. needless to say, i quickly left...and never saw most of my images.

May 03 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

In life, windows of opportunity comes here and there. What we do with it gives us a view of who we are. You can accept her offer and continue her spiral of detriment, perhaps catching a glimps of her falling (also any possible STD's), or you can support her positive options by "respectfully" declining, and giving her a type of "brotherly or neighborly" love, sending her on her way.
Of course, we might think that there is no need to feel responsible for our toungue, but what we give, usually comes full circle. It is OK for you to have rejected her offer. It might help to make her understand that there are respectable photographers who know where to draw the line.
tongue
BTW, nice images. Artsy contrast.

May 03 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sara Beth wrote:
on my second shoot the phtographer demanded a "favor" in exchange for my pictures. needless to say, i quickly left...and never saw most of my images.

Wow, so this is a pretty widespread problem, huh? glad you got a good head on your shoulders and respect yourself unlike the person for whom this post is directed towards

May 03 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

HOTTIE SHOTS

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Well if some model offered to have sex with me in exchange for doing her portfolio I would be flattered that she thought my ability was worth her best efforts.  Or I would try to think that, instead of  "this wierdo must be really broke and desperate for photos". 

Actually there is a certain class of women who pay their way in life with sex.  I have had offers to exchange sex for my legal services.  I tell them all that I have to pay my secretary and feed my family, and while the offer is tempting and I know she is worth it, that I don't think my secretary would be amused if I told her that I was not able to pay her this week with money but I could tell her all about how much fun I had screwing that last client.

May 03 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

How many looks does a model get from a "Trix 4 Pix" shoot ?
Does it include hair & makeup?

May 03 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

Ty Simone wrote:
or wash your car.

or ..maybe she wanted to clean your pipes

May 03 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

John Pringle wrote:
In life, windows of opportunity comes here and there. What we do with it gives us a view of who we are. You can accept her offer and continue her spiral of detriment, perhaps catching a glimps of her falling (also any possible STD's), or you can support her positive options by "respectfully" declining, and giving her a type of "brotherly or neighborly" love, sending her on her way.
Of course, we might think that there is no need to feel responsible for our toungue, but what we give, usually comes full circle. It is OK for you to have rejected her offer. It might help to make her understand that there are respectable photographers who know where to draw the line.
tongue
BTW, nice images. Artsy contrast.

Very well said! and thank you

May 03 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
How many looks does a model get from a "Trix 4 Pix" shoot ?
Does it include hair & makeup?

lol, good question

May 03 06 12:41 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

VirtuaMike wrote:

Ok fine. I'll stop asking models to hold my bags.

HAHAHA..
Thats slightly different..
Unless of course you are talking funbags.

May 03 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

Brian Diaz wrote:
I'm often offered free yoga classes or makeup lessons or Croatian grappa for shooting.  I sometimes offer freshly baked pie.

Mmmmmmmmm...........................Pie! smilesmile

Hell if a model want's to do me a favor my trucks filthy, feel free to give it a wash...and if you don't mind vacum the inside too??

Peace to all - Darren.

May 03 06 12:50 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Just to turn the tables for a minute........has anyone had a photographer offer a favor?

May 03 06 12:53 pm Link