Forums > General Industry > What NOT to say to a photographer.....

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

So I have a casting posted for a go see for models I MIGHT be interested in shooting for upcoming things... so it was clear I am still just having go-sees.

Then I get this:

"Hi, Im def. interested in shooting. I'll be in LA May 4-11 and would love to shoot. Please let me know and I would need some sort of compensation since Im coming in from out of town. Usually its between 50-100/hr. Thanks!
xoxo Jessica"

So my reply will resemble this:

You assume far too much in that I would be interested in shooting you, let alone quoting me your rates.  Perhaps in the future you might distinguish those that are interested in you and actually approach you first... and those that note they are having go sees.

As well when one says "reply to me directly and include pictures"... merely jumping to assumptions and then NOT sending pictures... might not render a favorable response.

Apr 20 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Incident Image

Los Angeles, California, US

Haha, pesky models.

Apr 20 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Yeah .... I'm sure I'll be accused of being a "dick"... "asshole"... or some similar body part!!!

Apr 20 06 08:46 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

GregBrownDesigns

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well, it certainly seems as if you'd hope to NEVER hear from this model again.  I always say, "Burn as many bridges and be as rude as possible."  You never can be too superior.

Apr 20 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Hey, at least she told you right away.

Apr 20 06 08:50 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

(sighing) Some models do not have a common sense. Or they fail to read.  :X

Apr 20 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

You could respond:

"That is fantastic, my commercial rate is $300 per hour, we can deduct your $50 to $100 dollars that you charge per hour and you have to pay me only $200 to $250 per hour.

I am okay with discounting my rate for you.

Looking forward working with you.

Did I mention that I have a five hours minimum?

Hope that's not a problem.

All the best;

SB"

Apr 20 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

UdoR wrote:
You could respond:

"That is fantastic, my commercial rate is $300 per hour, we can deduct your $50 to $100 dollars that you charge per hour and you have to pay me only $200 to $250 per hour.

All the best;

SB"

Now THAT is awesome!  smile  I wish I could do that...

Apr 20 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

I'd reply to this... but I am over you.  "Why burn that which can be blown up?"!!!!

GregBrownDesigns wrote:
Well, it certainly seems as if you'd hope to NEVER hear from this model again.  I always say, "Burn as many bridges and be as rude as possible."  You never can be too superior.

Apr 20 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

UdoR wrote:
You could respond:

All the best;
SB"

Udo... you know me too well... I replied with this:

=========
You assume far too much in that I would be interested in shooting you, let alone quoting me your rates.  Perhaps in the future you might distinguish those that are interested in you and actually approach you first... and those that note they are having go sees.

FYI... my base rate starts at $3500/day.... so at a 10 hour day ($350/hr... would we assume we cancel each other out and you just pay me the remaining $250/hr?!!)

As well when one says "reply to me directly and include pictures"... merely jumping to assumptions and then NOT sending pictures... might not render a favorable response.  Had I wanted to chase links... I would have asked for such.

Apr 20 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Human Nature is:  Models want to get pd. and so do photographers.

Apr 20 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

My dog farts when she eats bananas.

(yes I know this has nothing to do with the topic... but neither did the last post either... really....)

Apr 20 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

UdoR wrote:
You could respond:

All the best;

SB"

OMG NO WAY!!!

I HAVE DONE THAT!!!! Luckily it finally ended the nonsense..LOL

Apr 20 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
My dog farts when she eats bananas.

(yes I know this has nothing to do with the topic... but neither did the last post either... really....)

damn thats funny lololol thanks!

Apr 20 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

That was funny.  Whats always strange to me is when a model just assumes
you want to shoot her then gives you her rates.  Can I decide if I even
like you at all.

Apr 20 06 09:26 pm Link

Model

Lorna Bailey

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Wow! I love reading these "tales from MM" ahahaha! Makes me laugh so.

And yes indeed, that model overstepped and assumed and I guess might be very attractive or have a certain "look" ..or maybe not..hey! I've seen some pretty wacky things here.. . All in all..if yu wrote "go see"..then indeed..It was not too polite or appropriate to say what she did...OH mY!

If I was the photog..okay..I would have definitly been annoyed..but taken a nice deep breath..maybe paced a few times..then proceed to write her a very eloquent reply! wink

Actually, that part about your rate being 3500$ or some such number and only charging HER the difference! ahahaha.

Is it wrong for me to have LOVED that comeback!??

Well I'm a model..and sorry, I say KUDOS! ahaha..

I loved it soo witty!!

AHaha...Honestly..keep it up with these "forums" It's so informative! LOL

P.S You have to conceide though...that there are indeed models that are "divas" but indeed, there are also photographers who are likewise...  .

Apr 20 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Indochine

Los Angeles, California, US

The model didn't read. Nothing new, but certainly annoying...

Still...

Seems like you took out a bazooka for something a fly swatter could've handled.

Apr 20 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

I'm not a diva... I'm just better!

And for "whitty"... yeah... that seems to be a family curse... oh well... I tried to be stupid... but the drugs and drinking just did not take!

I hope I did not make her cry.. oh who am I kidding... she was a dwarf and I really do not care.

Tyra had an interesting segment on the ANTM last night (okay so it's a first!)... they had someone intentionally try to piss off the models..... finally... REALITY!!!!!

Now maybe they will ALL GO HOME!!!!!

Apr 20 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Scaramanga wrote:
The model didn't read. Nothing new, but certainly annoying...

Still...

Seems like you took out a bazooka for something a fly swatter could've handled.

But I like those cartoons when Elmer Fudd destroys the house trying to hit a fly... or wabbit!

Apr 20 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

Leila Hazlett

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
Yeah .... I'm sure I'll be accused of being a "dick"... "asshole"... or some similar body part!!!

Probably. It's best just to be polite and tell someone you aren't interested. I occassionally get the random GWC contacting me and saying he'll give me a great deal and only charge me Xdollars an hour to shoot me. I admit though, its tempting to just reply with, "HAHA, are you f*cking kidding me?!?"

Apr 20 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Leila Hazlett wrote:
"HAHA, are you f*cking kidding me?!?"

That is actually my standard reply.... but I don't use a "*"!!!!!

Apr 20 06 09:45 pm Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

who cares
far too many very ordinary photographers are way too jumped up on here
Not true of you Bigler...by the way..:-)
This also goes for Models...
I still havent grasped how you can call yourself a Model or a photographer
Unless that is your sole source of Income..

Anyway...

Apr 21 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

UdoR wrote:
You could respond:

All the best;

SB"

Love this response! Have to use it some day. Thanks
Mike

Apr 21 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
she was a dwarf and I really do not care.

Why brag about it, then?

gsvb wrote:
I still havent grasped how you can call yourself a Model or a photographer
Unless that is your sole source of Income..

I am one who photographs. Therefore, I consider myself a photographer. I do not get paid; I am an amateur photographer. If this were a site only for professional photographers - and even professional photographers can have other sources of income - I would not be here.

Apr 21 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Was that really necessary? You could've just ignored her.

Apr 21 06 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
Was that really necessary? You could've just ignored her.

How will they learn if you ignore them?

Apr 21 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
How will they learn if you ignore them?

I operate under the impression that if no one pays that they'll eventually figure it out.

Apr 21 06 03:05 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

I had a phone call from an agency one day last week.  The woman (a former model, so I think it counts) wanted me to take some pictures of an actor/model who needed to update his portfolio because he'd got an important audition the next week, and all the pictures in his current port showed him with long hair, spots, or before he started going to the gym (I can't remember which reason she gave).  The only reason she'd picked me was because I was local to where the model lived.

I didn't want to do it, so I said I was busy, and it wasn't the sort of stuff I normally do, so she asked if I had lighting and a studio, and if I knew how to take port shots, which annoyed me, but, in the end, I agreed, especially when she didn't object to the fee.

Her parting shot was, "Just send us a dozen shots of him as soon as you can, and we'll send him to a proper photographer next week."

Apr 21 06 03:24 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

gosh I am sometimes even ashamed to call myself a model

I hear all these horror stories some photographers go through I am like what?? I would never do that

I hope you guys don't think that of all models..

however much part time hobby models they are lol

xx shelly xx

Apr 21 06 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

RED Photographic wrote:
Her parting shot was, "Just send us a dozen shots of him as soon as you can, and we'll send him to a proper photographer next week."

Time to break out the 2mp point and shoot me thinks smile

Apr 21 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Arobeck

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

UdoR wrote:
You could respond:

All the best;

SB"

priceless !! thanx for the laugh, love ur work BTW, geezz there is some great talent here guys all the best to all:)

Apr 21 06 03:42 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Bangerman wrote:

Time to break out the 2mp point and shoot me thinks smile

Actually, the model told me that she probably didn't realise what she said, and she said things like that quite often.  But he's coming back to work for me if he doesn't get the part he auditioned for, so I'm not complaining.

Apr 21 06 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Steven Bigler wrote:

You`re such a LIP!

Apr 21 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

The replies I get that crack me up are the ones where I have posted an ad looking for a specific race. For instance I was looking for an exotic looking curvy black female for some art photography. I got countless replies but the best started with" Hell I am a xx year old Asian female......"

Apr 21 06 04:03 am Link

Photographer

ZKWC

Malibu, California, US

maybe the model didn't know what a "go see" was? this IS the internet afterall. if you were accepting "go sees" then maybe a proper agency would be the place to start instead of the internet. THEY know what a 'go see' is. you obviously would have ties to agencies if you charge that much for a session, Steven, right? maybe you could have told the 'model' what a 'go see' was instead?

i find it rude and presumptious for a model to shout out her fee like that without knowing whether or not the photographer wants to work with her/him. i get emails like that all the time that go to my junkmail folder. BUT...

my dad always said, "you attract more bees with honey."

and you're obviously of the internet ilk since you didn't find issue with posting her name... shame shame shame. private emails should stay private. that's how professionals act. just because the model didn't act professionally, nor does she seem to be a professional, shouldn't mean you do back flips to act even less like a professional.

Apr 21 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

shelly1982 wrote:
I hope you guys don't think that of all models..

Nah, she seemed more like a craigslist hooker than a model.

Apr 21 06 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Cspine wrote:

Nah, she seemed more like a craigslist hooker than a model.

Hey now, ive met some great models through CL! smile

Apr 21 06 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Off Minor Media

New York, New York, US

Zoe Wiseman wrote:
maybe the model didn't know what a "go see" was? this IS the internet afterall. if you were accepting "go sees" then maybe a proper agency would be the place to start instead of the internet. THEY know what a 'go see' is. you obviously would have ties to agencies if you charge that much for a session, Steven, right? maybe you could have told the 'model' what a 'go see' was instead?

i find it rude and presumptious for a model to shout out her fee like that without knowing whether or not the photographer wants to work with her/him. i get emails like that all the time that go to my junkmail folder. BUT...

my dad always said, "you attract more bees with honey."

and you're obviously of the internet ilk since you didn't find issue with posting her name... shame shame shame. private emails should stay private. that's how professionals act. just because the model didn't act professionally, nor does she seem to be a professional, shouldn't mean you do back flips to act even less like a professional.

Well spoken.

Apr 21 06 05:10 am Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

Zoe Wiseman wrote:

Thanks, I was going to say that. Yes, the model was out of line with throwing her fees at you, but there was no need to broadcast her name.

Apr 21 06 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

RED Photographic wrote:

Her model needs pictures, you are doing her more of the favor than she is of you, yet she still has the brains to insult you BEFORE she's hung up the phone. That's brillant. *rolls eyes*

Apr 21 06 08:16 am Link