Forums > General Industry > What NOT to say to a photographer.....

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I am relatively new so maybe its just me but.. I don't understand her need for compensation since she said she was planning to be in LA anyway.. What was it she was hoping to be compensated for? Just curious.

Apr 21 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I bet you she didnt even know what "go see" meant

Apr 21 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

R Christopher

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I have had similar experiences where I place a casting call for a job that pays and usually very detailed as far as how to contact me what photos to send. And I still get emails replying "I'm interested here is my OMP number check me out." Not sending the casting form my clients use, not attaching photos, not telling me if they have any experience, or telling me what their rates are. And what's worse. If I tell you the job is upscale and sophistication...don't send me nude photos that would give my client a heart attack.

So there is my vent....but for me how a photographer responds is just as important. You could 1) take the time to have a teachable moment 2) Not respond, choose your females then send a mass group email to those not chosen and say thanks but no thanks 3) Reply back with the facts, redirection or further explanation what you need. But getting rude back should never be the option.

In my last casting I had a model from Austrilia contact me and say that she would come to the states to do my job for free if I pay her way and then she would go get over jobs while here in the states. I was upset, I said to myself "the nerve of that model" acting as if she was doing me a favor I even vented about it to some friends in the box but I never said the model's name. My reply to the model was thanks for your interests but we are confident we can cast the job using local models

You can't afford to burn bridges in this industry that model you turned away so rudely could be on cover of Stuff magazine or XXL next week.

Apr 21 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

R Christopher

David Scott wrote:
I am relatively new so maybe its just me but.. I don't understand her need for compensation since she said she was planning to be in LA anyway.. What was it she was hoping to be compensated for? Just curious.

Models and photographer alike sometimes try to get travel paid to areas they be in and again they/we think you doing them a favor. The idea is suddenly I am working or could be working so this is now a business trip. When reality is it is usually better to claim on taxes your travel unless the person is offering travel plus some.

Apr 21 06 08:35 am Link

Model

Claudette V

GregBrownDesigns wrote:
Well, it certainly seems as if you'd hope to NEVER hear from this model again.  I always say, "Burn as many bridges and be as rude as possible."  You never can be too superior.

Funny.

Apr 21 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
So I have a casting posted for a go see for models I MIGHT be interested in shooting for upcoming things... so it was clear I am still just having go-sees.

Then I get this:

"Hi, Im def. interested in shooting. I'll be in LA May 4-11 and would love to shoot. Please let me know and I would need some sort of compensation since Im coming in from out of town. Usually its between 50-100/hr. Thanks!
xoxo Jessica"

So my reply will resemble this:

You assume far too much in that I would be interested in shooting you, let alone quoting me your rates.  Perhaps in the future you might distinguish those that are interested in you and actually approach you first... and those that note they are having go sees.

As well when one says "reply to me directly and include pictures"... merely jumping to assumptions and then NOT sending pictures... might not render a favorable response.

I had a casting call for a hand and foot model and out of the ten or so models that responded only one sent me pictures of her hands and feet.  Models, go figure.
In the future will you write my responses?

Apr 21 06 08:44 am Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
The replies I get that crack me up are the ones where I have posted an ad looking for a specific race. For instance I was looking for an exotic looking curvy black female for some art photography. I got countless replies but the best started with" Hell I am a xx year old Asian female......"

So i shouldnt respond to you black female casting calls anymore? bummer

Apr 21 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Why not respond with something polite, businesslike and less shameful, such as:

Thank you for your interest in modeling for me but I am not advertising for paid models at this time.

Apr 21 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

HypOnlineMedia

Clearwater, Florida, US

I think you should get over yourself. She was just putting her rates out there. That's just business. Im sure you dont work for free.

Apr 21 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

How will they learn if you ignore them?

Exactly.  I think she should be happy he let her live.  My vote would have been to crucify her outside the gates of the city as an example to all who pass by...  big_smile

Apr 21 06 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Being confident and promoting yourself is one thing, but models that waste my time by NOT READING THE DESCRIPTION OF WHAT I'M LOOKING TO DO is one of those things that makes me want to reach my hand through the Internet and bitchslap someone.

Replies to travel notices on OMP are the worst.

Apr 21 06 10:24 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I think the point is that she didn't even read the casting call before seeing dollar signs and shooting an email. Sorry you had to deal with such a flake!

Apr 21 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

K. Adam Stockstill

Austin, Indiana, US

GregBrownDesigns wrote:
Well, it certainly seems as if you'd hope to NEVER hear from this model again.  I always say, "Burn as many bridges and be as rude as possible."  You never can be too superior.

The Bridges I burn will light my way.

Apr 21 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Photos2amaze

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Michael Barian wrote:
Human Nature is:  Models want to get pd. and so do photographers.

All in the correct stages of the game, not after the 2nd photoshoot.

Apr 21 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Photos2amaze

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Leila Hazlett wrote:

Probably. It's best just to be polite and tell someone you aren't interested. I occassionally get the random GWC contacting me and saying he'll give me a great deal and only charge me Xdollars an hour to shoot me. I admit though, its tempting to just reply with, "HAHA, are you f*cking kidding me?!?"

Why not go ahead and do so, then it might at least give the GWC a reason not to do that again.

Apr 21 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Photos2amaze

Atlanta, Georgia, US

David Scott wrote:

It seems to be only about 1 out of 10 traveling models that AREN'T looking to be paid.  Seems like it goes with the territory.  Maybe the mystic of a out of state model adds some kind of value.

Apr 21 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

VirtuaMike wrote:

I operate under the impression that if no one pays that they'll eventually figure it out.

If my dog chews a shoe and stops when she becomes bored... that will do little to stop her from shoes on any other day.

However... if she is smacked in the head with said shoe.... she has learned that chewing shoes is a bad thing.

There is a lesson in there.

Apr 21 06 01:02 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Steven Bigler wrote:

If my dog chews a shoe and stops when she becomes bored... that will do little to stop her from shoes on any other day.

However... if she is smacked in the head with said shoe.... she has learned that chewing shoes is a bad thing.

Isn't that the Pavlov bell theory? Who knew MM was so educational!!

Apr 21 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

R Christopher

Ryan6663 wrote:

So i shouldnt respond to you black female casting calls anymore? bummer

Not unless you have another persona we don't know about *grin*

Apr 21 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

"shame-shame" and "ilk"??  Zoe... posting her name as generic "Jessica" is doing nothing to OUT her... as there are what.... 5000 Jessica's on MM alone?

Before next shaking the shame shame finger at me... note that I did not post any identifiers or email addys.  I mean had I said something as random as "jessicathedancer"... then yes... shame-shame on me.

And yes I could have taken the time to explain... as well I could tell her how best to condition her hair as well... but you know... just don't got the time to save everyone!

(my bad... there was only 158 in the USA here on MM)

Zoe Wiseman wrote:
maybe the model didn't know what a "go see" was? this IS the internet afterall. if you were accepting "go sees" then maybe a proper agency would be the place to start instead of the internet. THEY know what a 'go see' is. you obviously would have ties to agencies if you charge that much for a session, Steven, right? maybe you could have told the 'model' what a 'go see' was instead?

i find it rude and presumptious for a model to shout out her fee like that without knowing whether or not the photographer wants to work with her/him. i get emails like that all the time that go to my junkmail folder. BUT...

my dad always said, "you attract more bees with honey."

and you're obviously of the internet ilk since you didn't find issue with posting her name... shame shame shame. private emails should stay private. that's how professionals act. just because the model didn't act professionally, nor does she seem to be a professional, shouldn't mean you do back flips to act even less like a professional.

Apr 21 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Robert Watson wrote:
......that model you turned away so rudely could be on cover of Stuff magazine or XXL next week.

Robert... I don't shoot models that do Stuff or XXL anyway... I prefer them a bit classier... so no loss there. (really)

Apr 21 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Steven Bigler wrote:

And I think that's a valid way to instruct, if we're talking about dogs.

Apr 21 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

It's not like her name was Neyrissa or Zoe!!!!

Apr 21 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

I believe in acting professionial at all times.... to a degree... Then again THIS site isnt only for professionials, so for those that aren't why must the pros assume that they should act like it?

Apr 21 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Hypnotics World wrote:
I think you should get over yourself. She was just putting her rates out there. That's just business. Im sure you dont work for free.

Actually I shoot what I want when I want and how I want and have little regard for money as long as I am enjoying what I do.

I am in fact flying to Florida next week to shoot a stellar model just for myself... yes for free.

You will find in the real loop of models and photogs... money has little to do with things.... on the fringes and outside the box though.... well there I go trying to explain again....  why do I bother.....

Apr 21 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Dave Krueger wrote:

Exactly.  I think she should be happy he let her live.  My vote would have been to crucify her outside the gates of the city as an example to all who pass by...  big_smile

Dave... a head on a pike works better.

Apr 21 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

UdoR wrote:
You could respond:

"That is fantastic, my commercial rate is $300 per hour, we can deduct your $50 to $100 dollars that you charge per hour and you have to pay me only $200 to $250 per hour.

I am okay with discounting my rate for you.

Looking forward working with you.

Did I mention that I have a five hours minimum?

Hope that's not a problem.

All the best;

SB"

You sing It Udor. smile

well said and i agree.

Apr 21 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Dave Krueger wrote:

Right on, Dave..

Next time, give me a call and I'lll hand you the nails.....=*^)

Seriously - this to me is a shining example of a "model" *I* would never work with.

She didn't read, she didn't think - what good is a model if she has no brain? Another reason I insist on a Look See meet (in acpublic place - don't flame me just yet, girls) before a set up a shoot. No brain, no shoot. A pair of fake boobs is not enough to qualify as a model - at least not for me...

OK, now you can start the flaming and burning - just make sure the effigy looks like me or ot won't work....

Apr 21 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

VirtuaMike wrote:

And I think that's a valid way to instruct, if we're talking about dogs.

She was... you should have seen the pictures.

Apr 21 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
I think the point is that she didn't even read the casting call before seeing dollar signs and shooting an email. Sorry you had to deal with such a flake!

I think I like Claire!!!  Wait... you are the dancer right?  Yep I like her alot.

Let me kow when in Cal.

Apr 21 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

UdoR wrote:
You could respond:

"That is fantastic, my commercial rate is $300 per hour, we can deduct your $50 to $100 dollars that you charge per hour and you have to pay me only $200 to $250 per hour.

I am okay with discounting my rate for you.

Looking forward working with you.

Did I mention that I have a five hours minimum?

Hope that's not a problem.

All the best;

SB"

Hee Hee Heeeeeeee..........you go UDO!

I'll bet you used to work for Mad Magazine writing their "snappy answers to stupid questions" editions...now fess up....it's true isn't it....hahahaha.

Apr 21 06 01:50 pm Link

Model

Lindsey Marie

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sometimes all a person has to hear is, "You could be a model," and all hell breaks loose.  Then comes their rates and ridiculous demands that make Paris Hilton look good! Ahhh it's quite entertaining!
~Lindsey  smile

Apr 21 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

gsvb wrote:
who cares
far too many very ordinary photographers are way too jumped up on here
Not true of you Bigler...by the way..:-)
This also goes for Models...
I still havent grasped how you can call yourself a Model or a photographer
Unless that is your sole source of Income..

Anyway...

Try grasping a dictionary. Lot's of people do it. Go ahead, try it, it really isn't that hard.

-a real live full time professional that earns his income with a camera

Apr 21 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

phcorcoran wrote:
Why not respond with something polite, businesslike and less shameful, such as:

Thank you for your interest in modeling for me but I am not advertising for paid models at this time.

Agreed.

Politeness is always best.

It is helpful to all to assume the best from such contact...not the worst...'neh?

Apr 21 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Zeo

Canton, Ohio, US

.. What kind of manager asks a potographer for a paid shoot for thier model?

If you are contacting someone you are pretty much by nature saying you're offering TFP/CD OR You're offering to pay them. End of story. The only exception to that is if the contactee makes unreasonable demands then he/she should pay or those, but he shoot should still be TFP/CD or paid.

I'd  swear some idiots don't have the common sense of a turnip leaf except that I know SOMEONE will come along with less sense then even THAT.

Apr 21 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Hey now, ive met some great models through CL! smile

lol CL is cool, I'm just talkin about the ones that offer the fbsm with 'happy finish'. My attempt at a crude joke.

Apr 21 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

How will they learn if you ignore them?

I'm not so sure they have the capacity or incentive to learn,
I sometimes think they just send out these pay me requests for attention,
Of course there is the occasional GWC who ponies up the bucks.

And that one paying customer probably encourages another 100 pay me requests.

Apr 21 06 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What NOT to say to a photographer.....

"Is that a lens in your pocket, or are you just happy to shoot me?"

Apr 21 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

Sarah Hunter

Los Angeles, California, US

RED Photographic wrote:
Her parting shot was, "Just send us a dozen shots of him as soon as you can, and we'll send him to a proper photographer next week."

Oh my god.

Apr 21 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
Tyra had an interesting segment on the ANTM last night (okay so it's a first!)... they had someone intentionally try to piss off the models..... finally... REALITY!!!!!

i happened to catch that episode after months of not watching, and it was hilarious how bad that actress treated them... although i have done that a couple times when thinking out loud...

hey Steven... ever have a model ask you, "What's a GO-SEE?"  haha... i used to get that a lot here at work...

Apr 21 06 02:48 pm Link