Forums > General Industry > Ten reasons why you should shoot with a male model

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Great list, it gave me a good chuckle.  Serioulsy, I joined MM in the hopes of balancing out my port to include more men.  I've done one shoot with a male model and it turned out really well.  I've had no problems with female models either.  Maybe I've been lucky but everyone I've worked with has been very nice, the experience I've gained from each model I work with has been very positive so far.

Apr 25 06 01:41 pm Link

Model

LeB

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bravo Jay....

Apr 25 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

The Dave

Los Angeles, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Because of the GWC's, pay-site shooters, and guy-shooting-girl hobbyists, many new photographers who use MM as there view of the photography world are skewed into believing that it is normal to shoot exclusively with female models. - While in the real world, the ratio of male to female work is substantially more even.

Agreed.  I've shot with multiple photographers who are straight, professional, willing and very able to shoot men, but dont have any at all on their ports.
It'd be appreciated if the photographers on MM would include a few images of men on their ports so that those who skim their pages would see they're willing and able to shoot men... yet even those who are talented using men as subjects still might not have any at all on their ports.  Why?

Apr 25 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

N K

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
This is another reason I don't often deal with male models.  They're so po-faced, stuck up and self-important they can't get past the idea that every guy on earth is looking at their ass long enough to accomplish anything.  If you guys could hear yourselves talking, you wouldn't want to work with yourselves.

Keep it up you guys!  At this rate you'll always be second-class citizens in this business.

I think you got the wrong idea of me. I'm just starting out so I sure aint po-faced, stuck up and self important yet. Give me time to develop those essential professional male model attributes. kidding.

In all seriousness when I get a request by a photographer and I look at his portfolio and it's 20 nude guys staring back at me... I don't get it. Why are they wasting my time and their time.

Apr 25 06 04:29 pm Link

Model

JH

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

dncphotos wrote:
working with male models is cool...
however a few I have worked with want to mean mug and pose hard  like they are rappers as thier only way of posing. How many mean stares and holding your nuts shots can one do???

I like the diversity and versatility in posing by female models.

Not the "I'm not gonna smile and pose in any gay like ways" that alot of aspiring and a few accomplished male models say and think.

solution....find a better model to work with

Apr 25 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Laurent P wrote:
In all seriousness when I get a request by a photographer and I look at his portfolio and it's 20 nude guys staring back at me... I don't get it. Why are they wasting my time and their time.

If they're a quality photographer with good references, why are they "wasting your time"?  Any model who thinks a photographer that wants to work with them is "wasting their time" is about as self-important as a diva gets.

Next time somebody asks me why there are so few men in my book, I'm going to show them this thread.  Positively comical.

Apr 25 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Beautiful work.  Why no male models though?

Men just aren't as beautiful as women imho. I'm not inspired by them. C'est la vie.

Apr 25 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Ched wrote:
It is hard to find good male models.

tell me about it much ezer to get femails, i would love to photo more mails and a nether + if you bring a 6 pack of beer to the shoot they do not think your trying to get down there pance smile

Apr 25 06 11:16 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

Keep the responses coming.... I'm making a list of the photographers eager to shoot males.... Can't keep up!  HAHA!

Apr 26 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

gsvb wrote:
I dont carry photographers gear
And am not at all eager to shoot with anyone on this site
but...interesting topic

Ok Derek...

Max V.

Apr 26 06 01:41 am Link

Model

N K

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
If they're a quality photographer with good references, why are they "wasting your time"?  Any model who thinks a photographer that wants to work with them is "wasting their time" is about as self-important as a diva gets.

Next time somebody asks me why there are so few men in my book, I'm going to show them this thread.  Positively comical.

If you think me or anyone else is a diva just because they're not interested in shooting nudes (or anything else they don't want to)... then I'm not allowed to use the word I'd use to describe you.

Which part of "some people don't want to shoot nudes " can't you understand? It's not about the photographer, his references or what he had for dinner the night before.... it's just that "some people don't want to shoot nudes".

You should stop taking it on such a personal level, it really has nothing to do with you.

ps: this isn't even a gender issue, stop making it one.

Apr 26 06 01:54 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

aguynamededdy wrote:

Men just aren't as beautiful as women imho. I'm not inspired by them. C'est la vie.

Beauty is arguably a relative term by half the population.  I don't disagree from my personal perspective. If I were a photo-hobbyist, I would also much rather shoot women because I'm perennially attracted to the opposite sex.  However, if I were a professional photog, I would want clients to see that I could create photographic expression and beauty from models of either sex. - And have the ability to create images designed to appeal to either sex.  Shooting only women eliminates roughly half of your market potential in the real world.

Apr 26 06 02:00 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Laurent P wrote:
If you think me or anyone else is a diva just because they're not interested in shooting nudes (or anything else they don't want to)... then I'm not allowed to use the word I'd use to describe you.

Which part of "some people don't want to shoot nudes " can't you understand? It's not about the photographer, his references or what he had for dinner the night before.... it's just that "some people don't want to shoot nudes".

You should stop taking it on such a personal level, it really has nothing to do with you.

ps: this isn't even a gender issue, stop making it one.

Actually Laurent,  I'm with Melvin on this one.  First off I think you gave him a rather callous response that he wasn't deserving of.  Secondly, he didn't scorn you for not wanting to shoot nudes, he brought up the simple fact that you're automatically closing the door on someone simply because they have nudes in their portfolio.  If someone who has noteworthy talent comes to you and says I'd like to shoot you.... AND you tell them no because of the presence of nudes in the portfolio, you automatically shut out any possibility of working with them. 

Think about it this way.... photography is a collaboration of the subject and the shooter.  Rather then shutting the door on what could be a positive culmination of ideas and talent, try discussing with them your ideas and thoughts as well.  Together you may actually come up with something that is to both parties liking.  And in the end.... guess what, you may have some great work in your portfolio that you didn't have to strip for.

The exception, of course, is if the request is for nude work when it specifically says no in the profile.

Apr 26 06 02:04 am Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

this thread is laughable

Apr 26 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Tamara Fiset

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

gsvb wrote:
this thread is laughable

I truly enjoy your cocky replies : 0

Apr 26 06 02:31 am Link

Model

N K

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Brandon Smith wrote:
Actually Laurent,  I'm with Melvin on this one.  First off I think you gave him a rather callous response that he wasn't deserving of.  Secondly, he didn't scorn you for not wanting to shoot nudes, he brought up the simple fact that you're automatically closing the door on someone simply because they have nudes in their portfolio.  If someone who has noteworthy talent comes to you and says I'd like to shoot you.... AND you tell them no because of the presence of nudes in the portfolio, you automatically shut out any possibility of working with them. 

Think about it this way.... photography is a collaboration of the subject and the shooter.  Rather then shutting the door on what could be a positive culmination of ideas and talent, try discussing with them your ideas and thoughts as well.  Together you may actually come up with something that is to both parties liking.  And in the end.... guess what, you may have some great work in your portfolio that you didn't have to strip for.

The exception, of course, is if the request is for nude work when it specifically says no in the profile.

I'm really getting tired of this retarded argument.

I did not say I would turn down a photographer that has a few nude shots in his portfolio. I'm just starting out, who am I to say anyone is not worthy of shooting with me. I'm talking about photographers who only have nudes in their portfolio (all 20 pictures) and try to approach models who clearly state they don't do nudes.

Yes there's always the chance that they're willing to try something new or different for once but let's be realistic here, I don't think they're going to change overnight if they've been shooting nudes exclusively for the past 10 years.

I'm done with this.

ps: gsvb, I think this whole thread was somewhat meant to be funny.

Apr 26 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

TAMARA FISET wrote:
I truly enjoy your cocky replies : 0

Oooh you said cocky in a male model thread tongue

Apr 26 06 02:49 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

Laurent P wrote:

I'm really getting tired of this retarded argument.

I did not say I would turn down a photographer that has a few nude shots in his portfolio. I'm just starting out, who am I to say anyone is not worthy of shooting with me. I'm talking about photographers who only have nudes in their portfolio (all 20 pictures) and try to approach models who clearly state they don't do nudes.

Yes there's always the chance that they're willing to try something new or different for once but let's be realistic here, I don't think they're going to change overnight if they've been shooting nudes exclusively for the past 10 years.

I'm done with this.

ps: gsvb, I think this whole thread was somewhat meant to be funny.

Either way Laurent, you gave heat to Melvin who in no way deserved the disrespect that you threw his way.

Apr 26 06 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

gsvb wrote:
this thread is laughable

Are you still here?  I figured you had a taping of "Project Runway" to go to or something.

Apr 26 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Brandon Smith wrote:

Either way Laurent, you gave heat to Melvin who in no way deserved the disrespect that you threw his way.

It's all good...I dish out plenty of heat around here...I can take my share.  I still think he's a prissy, po-faced, "me first" diva though. wink

Apr 26 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Mark Leighton

Lagos, Algarve, Portugal

LuarentP - how much time do you actually "waste" by clicking on a porfolio?

I find male models can be pursuaded out of the "tough guy" poses if you communicate well. Some of them are not sure they want to look sensual or a little vulnerable but when they see the reaction they get from the female of the species they are asking for more!

I find it amazing how proud some male models are that they "never, ever do nudes" - it must be one of the few areas when a man is proud to say how little he can do or accomplish.

Apr 28 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Not all males are concerned with looking "gay". I haven't shot a lot of males, but I've done a bit of male modeling. I always did "pretty boy" stuff. Then again I couldn't look menacing with blood-stained machete.
I think there are too many thug-type muscle boy magazine shots out ther for my taste. That doesn't really reflect the bulk of the male population. Nor does it show any versatility. I don't personally know any girls that like that look.

Apr 28 06 12:20 pm Link