Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > L'Oreal vs MAC ......Pick one only!!!

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you were an MUA that is just starting out...

would you choose to freelance for 2 labels under the L'OREAL Group, working once or twice a week making around $150 a week. And have more time to do photoshoots and build your book. No discount on products, and no steady income.

or

work at MAC part time, around $400 a week, have the discount and gratis to build you kit. but less time to build your book. And its less pay/h but you get more hours. but steady income.

Mar 30 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

MONIKA KOVACS

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

MAC - I am not a MUA, but my MUA friend is with MAC!
A whole different world!!!!

Then again, only you can decide what is important to YOU, and based on that, go start paving your path!

Best of luck!!!!

M-onika

Mar 30 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

James Mosley - M Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

MAC!

Mar 30 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Hmm...

That's a tuffy. Both are appealing for very different reasons.

I would personally go with L'oreal. With my current situation, I only need a bit of extra money, and I would really appreciate the extra free time.

But MAC is tempting too....

Good luck with whatever you pick!

xoxo

Mar 30 06 10:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Feme Naigow

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I would go with MAC for a limited time. 
The reasons training and certificication, gratis and you could use their" name" to build your credibility in the area!  Not saying that other lines are not great but for some reason their is name brand recognition with MAC. Also should your situation change you could always freelance for them and I think that pays better than the options that you are looking at.  Make sure you have all of the information from both first!
Best of Luck
Feme

Mar 30 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

MAC products are superior in terms of pigment and a whole variety of other things. Better product, better training program. Go with MAC.

Mar 30 06 10:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Alfred Mercado

Los Angeles, California, US

Mac

Mar 30 06 10:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lydia Martin

New York, New York, US

Feme Turner wrote:
I would go with MAC for a limited time. 
The reasons training and certificication, gratis and you could use their" name" to build your credibility in the area!  Not saying that other lines are not great but for some reason their is name brand recognition with MAC. Also should your situation change you could always freelance for them and I think that pays better than the options that you are looking at.  Make sure you have all of the information from both first!
Best of Luck
Feme

I would go with MAC.. for the benefits.. Also, MAC pays their freelancers more than their permanent employees and you can hustle by working different locations or lay low and do your own thing by working only 6-12 hours a week so that you can do your own thing. you can get (6)110- (12)220, depending on the areas pay scale of course.

Mar 30 06 11:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Talitha Williams

Miami, Florida, US

Feme Turner wrote:
Not saying that other lines are not great but for some reason their is name brand recognition with MAC.
Feme

MAC is ranked number 1 in the world right now, used in over 70% of all fashion week shows, that is why they cary so much weight...

Mar 30 06 11:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Ivy Lam wrote:

would you choose to freelance for 2 labels under the L'OREAL Group, working once or twice a week making around $150 a week. And have more time to do photoshoots and build your book. No discount on products, and no steady income.

or

work at MAC part time, around $400 a week, have the discount and gratis to build you kit. but less time to build your book. And its less pay/h but you get more hours. but steady income.

You are in Ontario- so my answer is niether. Test- shoot- build your book- and network.  You can get plenty of connections that will take you farther than either of those companies can. Get a job that can make you money in the interum (ie- waiting tables, being a secretary etc.- just because you love makeup art doesn't mean you have to be poor or have your art exploited.)
If you lived in "any-middle-america-state/or-small-provence-canada" - I'd say MAC (because you would have to rely on the most popular corporate name to make your mark).

Mar 31 06 12:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Elliott

Vienna, Wien, Austria

What is your end goal in this industry?
If you want to be a full time freelancer you are better off working less & having more time to take jobs & build your book.

Mar 31 06 12:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kate Couture

Talitha Williams wrote:

MAC is ranked number 1 in the world right now, used in over 70% of all fashion week shows, that is why they cary so much weight...

yeah, because they pay to be!!!
Each makeup line pays for sponsership for the fashion shows that they do in hopes of some press.  It can be anywhere from 15k- on.  MAC can afford that because they ususally DON'T pay their artists...they do it for free!  Where as other lines (Smashbox, Stila, ect..) are ususally paying their artists.

SO, it's not that MAC is the best and that's way they are used in 70% of fashion shows...it's because the product/artists are free or pretty cheap (no diss on the artists..I did it).

Mar 31 06 10:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

if you can freelance for mac, that would be good. but i wouldnt take a counter position anywhere, because it will monopolize all your time. loreal has good companies too, they own kheils. estee lauder (who owns mac) also owns clinique, a brand i would never want to work for. yeah they use mac at fashion shows, they also use smashbox too. a lot of artists might use mac, but its not the best brand of makeup out there. it is cheap and conviniet and thats why you see it a lot out there.

i work PT at banana republic (gap inc.) and it is a lot easier to call out and get shifts covered at a non makeup job than it is at a counter.

Mar 31 06 12:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Ivy Lam wrote:

or

L'Oreal.

There was a time L'Oreal was very prestigous! I think it still is.

Apr 01 06 12:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ivy Lam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for everyone's feed back!

Apr 13 06 09:30 am Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Kinda late in on this topic, but if I were to MUA, I'd go for MAC.  L'Oreal Paris (maybe USA too, not sure), tests product on animals. (Or as I believe they legally get around, the don't test FINAL product on animals...but test ingredients(?))

Apr 13 06 04:22 pm Link

Model

Spring

MAC -- go for the money.

Apr 13 06 10:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Visual Rhetoric

Monrovia, Montserrado, Liberia

I have worked for MAC for 2 years and it is well worth it.  The trainging itself is priceless and will make you a stronger artist.  I love not having any creative barriers.  If I want to come to work with a butterfly on half my face with glossy cherry red lips...it not only acceptable but encouraged.  It's great for networking with others who are talented and have a passion for the industry.  The trainers are the ones who come up with the themes for Fashion Week around the world.  I have done freelance work the entire time I've been with the company and the association with the name gives you a certain amount of credibility, not to mentions 2 weeks of vaction even if you only work 15 hour a week.  I hope this helped.

Kussy,
Visual Rhetoric

Apr 13 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

MAC

Apr 13 06 10:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

L'oreal group owns quite a few companies. Lancome, Kiehls, Armani, Maybelline,Shu Uemura,for starters. Very well respected in the industry (perhaps not so much here on MM).

MAC is owned by Lauder (who also owns most of the rest of the industry). There are quite a few artists who boycott MAC for multiple reasons. As far as fashion week, thats because they've bought it.

Better yet, Don't start retail if you can help it. Get an unrelated job if the purpose is to pay bills. You'll stay hungrier for this career.

check this out before you make any decisions: http://p082.ezboard.com/fmakeupandrelat … 7896.topic

Apr 13 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

CRAYONS!!!!!!!!!!! oops wasnt one of the choices huh?

https://www.dcet.k12.de.us/teach/mrsk/Julie%20Supplies%20Photos/Crayons%208-pk%20Item%20445741.jpg

Apr 13 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

Katie Petix

Washington, District of Columbia, US

MAC MAC MAC!!!! they have a far superior color palate and it is by far the longest wearing makeup i have ever used. fabulous product line.

Apr 13 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

MAC.... My MUA is a MAC Makeup Artist.  I hear that the MAC artist can make a nice amount of money too! 2005 staring sal. was $15.00 an hour plus tips. Plus freelancing MUA rate (after hours).

Apr 13 06 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley

Hmm MAC is cool, but you might be labeled.

Apr 13 06 10:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautifulBrush

I agree with Feme Turner

Apr 13 06 11:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautifulBrush

I agree with Feme Turner

Apr 13 06 11:35 pm Link

Model

Danna Molfetas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MAC IS AMAZING...

Apr 13 06 11:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sid

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Mac and L'oreal have two different reputations. Mac's quality was at one time of higher standard, and was specifically made for mua's etc. Now it's quality has become less what is was once. L'oreal from what I can gather always remain the same just introducing new products and trends to help them stay current.
My answer is Mac, simply because you can still learn things from them, and have an opportunity to build your kit, they still produce some excellent older products my kit can't live without. Good luck to you.

Apr 15 06 09:36 am Link

Model

Little Miss Lady

Every good make-up artist has MAC. Defentally MAC!

Apr 15 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Studio One12

Elizabeth City, North Carolina, US

My MUA is always talking about Max, Mac whatever it is

Apr 15 06 10:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

Victoria Fedosoff

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ivy,

I would choose L'Oreal, that's the route I took and was still able to build my book and take on other feerance positions. Think of what will benefit you in the long run.

Victoria

Apr 15 06 10:33 am Link

Model

Gypsy Doll

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

MAC! most definitely. xx

Apr 17 06 08:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Okay I have to disagree with the majority of the posts.

I do agree with Melissa Elliott & Mary Irwin.

I personally would NOT go with MAC.

Besides all the political reasons. The bottom line it's retail. You will get stuck in a retail rut, and it will delay your goal to be a "TRUE" makeup artist. You won't have much time at all to build your book. 

MAC is not all it's cracked up to be. Estee Lauder owns them and the quality of their products are really not that great!  I worked for MAC over 10 years ago, and at that time the quality was better and their selection of artists was much better. SO MUCH has changed!!! Since EL took over they have re formulated the products, not as good quality -  *don't get me wrong they do have some good stuff. BUT their is so much more out there that is much better quality. 

It cracks me up that there are so many people still out there that are un educated on the true facts about MAC.  If you work for MAC that would not impress me at all - as far as "makeup artistry", and majority of my Makeup Artist collegues would agree.  Of course everyone has their own path and if you want to work  in retail and sell cosmetics then that is definitley your perogative.  There is nothing wrong with working in retail but those wanting to be an artist, there are other options. smile  To each is own.  I am just commenting on a Makeup Artist's point of view here.  smile

It depends on your long term goal.  I would freelance for them BEFORE taking a counter position. 
If you are just wanting to make a little $$$....you need to put in your dues to become a makeup artist and do freelance work and test like crazy!

Apr 18 06 10:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

Ok, Sharon (ST) put that in a nutshell. Totally agree.

Kathy

Apr 18 06 10:39 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

BetteT

What aspiring makeup artists don't understand is that MAC is no longer the choice of working makeup artists.  As ST said ... it's changed!  Both the product and the way they do business.

And then on top of it, MAC artists work free at the big gigs like Fashion Week.  That's how MAC gets into all these big gigs and get the free publicity ... the offer their teams for FREE!  And that takes work away from all the artists that used to get paid for this.  It's a shame ... they are undermining working artists ... the same artists that used to support them.  MAC's focus is the consumer ... they no longer support the artist.

The artists that I work with (I'm a fashion stylist and I work with an artist on every shoot) no longer have MAC in their kits ... or if they do, it's only a very few items.   It's losing the reputation of being a line for makeup artists.

Also, if you go to any counter position ... realize that what they want from you is for you to sell the products.  You will be given sales goals and if you don't make it ... you won't have a job.  Sales skills are important, talent and creativity are not. 

So choose where you want your career to go.  If you love retail and making sales, then retail is where you need to be.   If you want to be an artist in the print/vieo/film world ... then I'd do what the others suggest ...  freelance for L'Oreal and test, test, test to build your portfolio and network to make contacts.

Apr 18 06 12:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Ditto to what Mary Irwin, Melissa Elliot, ST, Bette all said.  I don't know many artists (especially celeb artists) that use MAC in their kit anymore.

Apr 18 06 01:47 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I agree. I would freelance with Loreal first, get as much testing done as possible, and work on your book.

Test out products...not just Mac or Loreal, but find out what the celeb artists are using, and see if that works for you. You don't have to reform to everyone else's standards...do your own thing, but figure out where you will get the most out of your career.

Apr 18 06 03:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

And may I just add that I was in a MAC pro store the other day and asked one of the girls if they still sold set bags and she looks at me and says "a what? what's a set bag" so I ask her to ask the manager and the manager comes out and says "A set bag? we don't make those anymore ".....

LMAO. pro store indeed.

Apr 18 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

~Krista~ wrote:
MAC products are superior in terms of pigment and a whole variety of other things.

A bit off topic but I don't see how spending 20 bucks on lip liner makes it "superior" The $1.50 one at Target by CoverGirl works for me

Apr 20 06 01:06 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

~Krista~ wrote:
MAC products are superior in terms of pigment and a whole variety of other things. Better product, better training program. Go with MAC.

Apr 20 06 01:09 pm Link