Forums > General Industry > What exactly is a "wardrobe stylist"

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by DreamPretty?: 
Or the difference between a mannikin and a real woman! Or would that distract from the beauty of the dress ;wink) ?? lol ... next time, maybe I can model your 2600.00 dress...

Its times like this I have to stop and think about how best to answer such a strange comment. DreamPretty, that's a rather bold statement but I must ask, how do you intend to model a dress you will not fit in? I wouldn't put this dress on anybody under 5'10" and the other dress the model needs to be 5'11" to look right. In fact I don't have anything that would fit you, as the vintage I collect are from the runway.

I don't know where you came from and why you are addressing me, but it disturbs me that you think you are so brave to attack me. In my 10 years, never ever would a model speak to me like you have. So you must not be one.

Jul 04 05 01:45 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

As a Wardrobe/Fashion Stylist, I feel that we are somewhat neccessary. I believe my creativity and insight is an asset to the photographer when dealing with conceptual based shoots. I want the story to be told not only through movement, but through the use of apparel as well. But that could just be me.

Its been quite difficult explaining the importance of my job to models. (in my case) When they are testing, they feel like anything out of their closet will do. I believe the purpose of a book is to set you apart from the rest, go above and beyond. When the photogs that I work with give me the models info, I like to look at her online book to get and idea of what kind of look(s) that needed to be added for that certain edge. I feel like its my duty to assit them in getting where they need to be.

Anywhy...Consider hiring a stylist to give you that edge. When you always dress yourself, you get stuck in looking a certain way. They will pick things you would have probably never had worn, but in my case, I try to make it fit the personality that I pull from looking at your book. (I am also and Image Consultant, so its more than a look to me.)

Also... the term of "Wardrobe" Stylist is typically used in Television and such, while "Fashion" stylist dress people int he latest fashions...like celebrities. Thats not the dictionary definition, but that is an easy way to understand.

Jul 04 05 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Kuree: 
I don't know where you came from and why you are addressing me, but it disturbs me that you think you are so brave to attack me. In my 10 years, never ever would a model speak to me like you have. So you must not be one.

Yes I agree how dare you address MadMam Kuree Like that. Oh the nerve... Don't you know she is tight with Paco... How dare you speak your mind.. don't you know MadMam Kuree is so above you... The horror.

Wow!

Mike

Jul 04 05 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by T.Alexander: 
As a Wardrobe/Fashion Stylist, I feel that we are somewhat neccessary. I believe my creativity and insight is an asset to the photographer when dealing with conceptual based shoots. I want the story to be told not only through movement, but through the use of apparel as well. But that could just be me.

Its been quite difficult explaining the importance of my job to models. (in my case) When they are testing, they feel like anything out of their closet will do. I believe the purpose of a book is to set you apart from the rest, go above and beyond. When the photogs that I work with give me the models info, I like to look at her online book to get and idea of what kind of look(s) that needed to be added for that certain edge. I feel like its my duty to assit them in getting where they need to be.

Anywhy...Consider hiring a stylist to give you that edge. When you always dress yourself, you get stuck in looking a certain way. They will pick things you would have probably never had worn, but in my case, I try to make it fit the personality that I pull from looking at your book. (I am also and Image Consultant, so its more than a look to me.)

Also... the term of "Wardrobe" Stylist is typically used in Television and such, while "Fashion" stylist dress people int he latest fashions...like celebrities. Thats not the dictionary definition, but that is an easy way to understand.

Good post T. Cool, talent that is not full of themselves..

Mike

Jul 04 05 02:40 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Kuree: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
It would help if Kuree could show some actual work...

There is a difference between being a stylist and renting fetish wear...

A picture is worth a 1000 words, and with all of Kuree's words, one picture showing fashion styling would be nice...

Well if that's true, my pictures are worth almost 10,000 words. How many people do you know who say they are fashion stylists and even share their beginnings with names and all, who have what you see in my photos? Nobody of course, so probably a good idea to give to your requests to someone who has no photos and no background info.

This makes no sense. ¿Qué estás fumando?

The fact that you drop names means nothing.

I started as an assistant to Ansel Adams, and taught Helmut Newton.

See, names don't mean a thing. You need to show your work like the rest of us do.

Posted by Kuree: 
Fetish wear? I will file you in the "I can't tell the difference between a tin foil get-up and couture that costs thousands" file.

OMG, you think price is a guide to taste...

Posted by Kuree: 
It serves me no purpose to have my work on this site. Nor are there very many people on this site I can actually work with and the ones that I should aren't flaming me on forums.

Well, if only to show that you do more than rent tasteless crap.

Posted by Kuree: 
I need to work with very special photographers, they are fashion photographers who are equal to better talent to what I've worked with. If you don't fit that profile, then really there is nothing we need to say to eachother anyways.

Show us the work, or keep your opinions to yourself because right now they only carry the weight of a dummy.

Jul 04 05 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Jing

New York, New York, US

xtremeartist, I think that response was really uncalled for.
it's hard enough trying to convince people who can't tell the difference between a real chanel tweed outfit and one of those $20 ripoffs in one of those Brooklyn stores, what more through a photo.
If you have any proper fashion designer friends you may be able to better appreciate the intricate nature of clothing and why something may cost $10 and something else that looks similar cost $5000
maybe you should appreciate that a stylist responded and posted experiences instead of trying to flame her, especially since it's related to an area of photography that you are not familiar with.

Jul 04 05 10:42 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

You know, Kuree, if deleting everything positive and helpful you have to say and leaving behind only the arrogant, negative bitchy drivel is your MO, than perhaps you shouldn't be on this site afterall.

Welcome to the wide world of the internet, where rude idiots abound. If you can't handle them, perhaps you should take your $2,600 dresses elsewhere.

Jul 04 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Jing: 
xtremeartist, I think that response was really uncalled for.
it's hard enough trying to convince people who can't tell the difference between a real chanel tweed outfit and one of those $20 ripoffs in one of those Brooklyn stores, what more through a photo.
If you have any proper fashion designer friends you may be able to better appreciate the intricate nature of clothing and why something may cost $10 and something else that looks similar cost $5000
maybe you should appreciate that a stylist responded and posted experiences instead of trying to flame her, especially since it's related to an area of photography that you are not familiar with.

Being a stylist has nothing to do with renting outfits, which is all that Kuree's portfolio seems to be promoting.

If the job is to make the $10 dress look like a million bucks, you better have a good stylist.

I really don't care how much it costs, I care how it looks in the photo.

In addition to knowing what will be in style next season, the stylist's primary responsibility is to assist the photographer in making sure it looks good on the model and in the photo.

I have worked with food stylists on shoots for photography for packaging (you probably have some of these products in your kitchen Jing), and while they brought certain items with them, the real test of the stylists' value was what they could do on a set.

Jul 04 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Gary Davis: 
I can't believe I started such a popular thread....

Actually, the dumping on VM takes up a good portion.  I was able to nip the TFP argument in the bud but I was out when the VM stuff started and by the time I came back it was too late....

I have millions of fans!

Jul 04 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Gary Davis: 
I can't believe I started such a popular thread....

Actually, the dumping on VM takes up a good portion.  I was able to nip the TFP argument in the bud but I was out when the VM stuff started and by the time I came back it was too late....

I have millions of fans!

Head lice does not count.

Jul 04 05 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Head lice does not count.

Um, I don't have head lice, sorry.  I have a shaved head.  Maybe you're mistaking them for your fleas.

Jul 04 05 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

And on that note, I guess it's time to call this thread a wrap....

Jul 05 05 08:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

All I can say is that you provided a wonderful forum for some great comedy.  It was quite entertaining to follow this thread.
Did you get an answer to your question?
Have a great night! :-)

Jul 05 05 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Tracey Masterson: 
All I can say is that you provided a wonderful forum for some great comedy.  It was quite entertaining to follow this thread.
Did you get an answer to your question?
Have a great night! :-)

I think the question was answered well enough.  But I'm not going to tell you whos answers I'm going with smile

No one said they wanted to work with me though sad

Jul 05 05 09:10 pm Link

Model

Annjilique

Baltimore, Maryland, US

i just started styling but i havent found anyone to do tfcd with me to start my book

Jan 02 06 07:12 pm Link