Forums > General Industry > What exactly is a "wardrobe stylist"

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by ChristianBehr: 
Ms. Theda, I was talking to God ( She asked I say " What's Up?" to you ).  I asked if we ( you and me ) were ever going to shoot together.  You'll never believe what She told me.

She said "who the hell are you?"

I still want to know what differentiate a wardrobe stylist from a fashion stylist.

Jul 02 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Posted by theda: 
I still want to know what differentiate a wardrobe stylist from a fashion stylist. 

The wardrobe need not always be "fashionable."  For example, Peter Strauss is known for his Miracle Grow campaigns and what he wears is determined by a wardrobe stylist.  Martha may see gardening as fashionable, but his attire is anything but!

Jul 02 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted by theda: 

Posted by ChristianBehr: 
Ms. Theda, I was talking to God ( She asked I say " What's Up?" to you ).  I asked if we ( you and me ) were ever going to shoot together.  You'll never believe what She told me.

She said "who the hell are you?"

kuree laid out her explanation in full last night but then retracted it for some unknown reason... she also responded, mostly in agreement, to my brief explanation and then pulled that too...
so i don'tknow know what her problem is...

Jul 02 05 09:45 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

So would that make a fashion stylist a high-end subset of wardrobe stylist?

Jul 02 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I have never ever heard of a wardrobe stylist or a fashion stylist.  I know them as stylists.   

A costume designer for broadway is another thing.

This worry over such a small difference is silly.

Jul 02 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

It would help if Kuree could show some actual work...

There is a difference between being a stylist and renting fetish wear...

A picture is worth a 1000 words, and with all of Kuree's words, one picture showing fashion styling would be nice...

Jul 02 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Even I show more outfits.  Shit I am dog.

Jul 02 05 10:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I do wardrobe styling on select jobs.  Stock and commercial mainly. I also style catalogs about 6 a year.  I am called now and then for "fashion styling" I always decline because I don't do fashion styling.  I don't pull from designers as a fashion stylist would.  Those connections take time and effort that I just don't have time for.  I am in a commercial market and we pull from studio services when we can and other times we purchase from the stores the current stuff.

The worlds are similar but also very different.  I am on a stock job now with 3 stylists, 3 makeup artists, a stylist PA, 3 photographers and apx 24 models a day, 2 weeks here and then they are shooting 2 weeks in NY in studio. The Penske van carrying the wardrobe is full to the max and all the stylists shop every night for this and that....minor props are usually the stylists job on a stock shoot.  I have done 6 or 7 major stock shoots (wardrobe) and probably more then 50 stock shoots as makeup,  I can tell you without a doubt that wardrobe works 4 times harder then makeup and hair.  The job never ends...inventory at night, steaming all morning etc.

I won't touch stock again as a wardrobe stylist!

The styling for catalog is easy, you just make sure the clothes you are given fit the models and look good on camera...no shopping etc.  This is how it is for the catalog I do anyway, very simple.

On Corporate jobs the makeup artist (in my area) does the styling and that consists of making sure the tie is straight and the suit is hanging well, also clipping clothing if it's not hanging well. It's very simple. 

So styling is really different depending on the type of job your doing.  One thing I did learn not long ago....NEVER hire a "fashion stylist" that does mainly music videos and expect them to style a commercial looking stock shoot...YIKES!! what a disaster. This happened a while back, the stylists on the current shoot are great.

Jul 02 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Mary is here,  time for some ass whoppin.

Mary knows her poop.

Jul 02 05 10:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I'm sure Kuree and Christian would disagree with that statement smile but thats fine, I'm too tired to get in an internet cat fight at the moment

Jul 02 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Mary: 
I'm sure Kuree and Christian would disagree with that statement smile but thats fine, I'm too tired to get in an internet cat fight at the moment

I am tired, those fat copy cats are bigger than my little BostonTerrier body is.

Jul 02 05 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Mary: 

At least we can look at your work and Christian's work and see where you are both coming from. It's all the opinions coming from a doll in chain mail that become suspect.

Jul 02 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

You are absolutely correct for those that have no desire to work beyond the Internet level. 

However, for those asking a legitimate question it is important to know the correct nomenclature, applications and functionality utilized by working professionals at levels beyond merely posting pictures on the Internet.

The discussion IS important for those seeking to develop and move forward.  As Dan pointed out, this includes the role a photographer might play, which if those reading find themselves in a similar situation they won't feel like a fish out of water in a professional setting.

The commentary  and developing a knowledge base on this subject isn't silly.  Not understanding or scoffing at the roles a variety of professionals play in solid campaign imaging is...or more succinctly, sooo Internet level.

Jul 02 05 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by area291: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

You are absolutely correct for those that have no desire to work beyond the Internet level. 

However, for those asking a legitimate question it is important to know the correct nomenclature, applications and functionality utilized by working professionals at levels beyond merely posting pictures on the Internet.

The discussion IS important for those seeking to develop and move forward.  As Dan pointed out, this includes the role a photographer might play, which if those reading find themselves in a similar situation they won't feel like a fish out of water in a professional setting.

The commentary  and developing a knowledge base on this subject isn't silly.  Not understanding or scoffing at the roles a variety of professionals play in solid campaign imaging is...or more succinctly, sooo Internet level.

Sorry,  I think these terms are internet terms, I do not hear fashion stylist or wardrobe stylist in the real world.  '

There are differences as Mary stated but I just do not hear the terms used.

Jul 02 05 10:40 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Sorry,  I think these terms are internet terms, I do not hear fashion stylist or wardrobe stylist in the real world.  '

I wonder if the LA vs. NYC thing plays a part in that. I'd only heard them clothings people referred to as "stylists" too.

Jul 02 05 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

area291

True, and actually Jack, the term I more often hear is coordinator. 

The term "stylist" is more self-imposed and one that I have seen on biz cards, but their role is primarily coordinating elements often not thought of which can make them a pretty integral part of the end result.

Jul 02 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by area291: 
True, and actually Jack, the term I more often hear is coordinator. 

The term "stylist" is more self-imposed and one that I have seen on biz cards, but their role is primarily coordinating elements often not thought of which can make them a pretty integral part of the end result.

Okay,  I think we can agree that the english language is used differently by different people.

Jul 02 05 10:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I have always heard the term "stylist"  used.  I know when I hear about the job what I consider "fashion"  but most people in the industry just say "stylist"

"fashion" sounds better to most stylists but "wardrobe" sounds fine to me as long as I'm getting paid, call me what ever you like.....My assistant was called "hey groomer lady" by some snotty nosed kid yesterday...she is now known as "groomer lady" to the crew, LOL! 

Jul 02 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Mary,  be careful what you say for it can be used against you in a quart of slaw.

Jul 02 05 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Reminds me of a parody from I think it was Firesign Theater...

Two rednecks talkin', "Long Hair, Short hair, what the Hell's the difference once their head's blowed off..."

Jul 02 05 11:09 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by area291: 

Two rednecks talkin', "Long Hair, Short hair, what the Hell's the difference once their head's blowed off..."

So you;re sayng we should kill them?

Jul 02 05 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by area291: 

So you;re sayng we should kill them?

I am from Federal Hill in Providence.  Why do you need someone taken out?  That can be arranged.

No actually,  I am not and just kidding.

Jul 02 05 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Kuree: 
VM, I suggest you use this forum to learn rather than to argue and pick fights with people you know nothing about who could teach you a whole lot from their experience.

Reminds me of that saying... "You could learn alot from a dummy".  In this case, there are a alot of them.  I'd rather not learn from dummies, thanks!

Jul 03 05 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Kuree: 
VM, I suggest you use this forum to learn rather than to argue and pick fights with people you know nothing about who could teach you a whole lot from their experience.

Reminds me of that saying... "You could learn alot from a dummy".  In this case, there are a alot of them.  I'd rather not learn from dummies, thanks!

Come on,  it would still be a giant step up the food chain for you.

Jul 03 05 05:37 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Come on,  it would still be a giant step up the food chain for you

No thanks.  I'd rather stay stupid.

Jul 03 05 06:44 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

rhondamcknight

AGUILA, Arizona, US

A WARDROBE STYLIST HAS A DESIGN BACKGROUND AND USUALLY CAN CREATE A LOOK OTHER THAN BUYING OFF THE SELF. ITS A FASHION DESIGN AND FASHION STYLIST TOGETHER COMBINE.

Jul 03 05 07:11 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Exotic Seamstress

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Absolutely, positively! 

Wardrobe Stylist checking in!

Jul 03 05 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

I don't know your experiences in the 'real world', but if you make a reference to stylist depending on the project you could be talking about hair, fashion, food, wardrobe, sets or props.  All disciplines go under the term stylist.  Similar to the moniker photographer that refers to journalism, commercial, fashion, still life, and portrait photographers.

Individuals might work in more than one discipline, but there are clear distinctions between them. 

Wardrobe stylist generally refers to a stylist working on advertising and lifestyle projects where the models need to project an image that is believeable within the concept of the shot.  Sometimes that means industry-specific wardrobe, period wardrobe or costume, or impactful wardrobe that establishes a character.

Fashion stylist generally refers to a more specific task of working on fashion-related editorial or advertising projects where the emphasis is season-specific fashions.  A fashion stylist is more like a magazine fashion editor than a fashion designer.  Although it is essential to know aspects of contruction and design to be an editor or stylist, it is more important to understand the broader view of the fashion industry and have resources that allow them to obtain samples of fashion for upcoming seasons of design.

Jul 03 05 08:10 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Kuree: 

Okay, and on to the next thread.  Leave Visual Gump alone. 

Jul 03 05 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by babydollallways: 
A WARDROBE STYLIST HAS A DESIGN BACKGROUND AND USUALLY CAN CREATE A LOOK OTHER THAN BUYING OFF THE SELF. ITS A FASHION DESIGN AND FASHION STYLIST TOGETHER COMBINE.

ONE OTHER FEATURE OF A WARDROBE STYLIST IS THEY ARE UNABLE TO FIND THE SHIFT KEY

Jul 03 05 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Jing

New York, New York, US

hahaha shit sorry I just had to laugh.
yeah please don't underestimate the importance of a stylist.
A lot of us photographers actually don't have very good ideas of what looks good on a woman, especially when it involves more cloth than a g-string to cover her genitals.

Jul 03 05 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Dan Howell: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

I don't know your experiences in the 'real world', but if you make a reference to stylist depending on the project you could be talking about hair, fashion, food, wardrobe, sets or props.  ......

Individuals might work in more than one discipline, but there are clear distinctions between them. 

I agree with everything you stated.   I do sometimes hear the term food stylist and prop stylist,  but not much of the other terms.  I put hair stylists in the group with makeup artists.  I agree they have different skills and jobs as I agreed with Mary.

But do you hear the terms fashion stylist and especially wardrobe stylist used much in the industry on the east coast?

Jul 03 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
But do you hear the terms fashion stylist and especially wardrobe stylist used much in the industry on the east coast?

In a word: yes.

Jul 03 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Okay,  well as you see with my new pics.  If I can trust a squirrel in my yard then I will trust your experience and knowledge.

At least until someone else poops on you.

Jul 03 05 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Why are there over 110 responses to this question?

Why ask why?  Dunno. Just saw lots of activity and wanted to be in on it. :-)

Jul 03 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Don't worry, you have no choice

Jul 03 05 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Come on this is a good conversation.

Jul 03 05 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by Ched: 
Why are there over 110 responses to this question?

Why ask why?  Dunno. Just saw lots of activity and wanted to be in on it. :-)

I can't believe I started such a popular thread....

Actually, the dumping on VM takes up a good portion.  I was able to nip the TFP argument in the bud but I was out when the VM stuff started and by the time I came back it was too late....

Jul 03 05 02:48 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by rickOPIOLA: 
kuree laid out her explanation in full last night but then retracted it for some unknown reason... she also responded, mostly in agreement, to my brief explanation and then pulled that too...
so i don'tknow know what her problem is...

Its pretty disrespectful when someone is trying to share their experience (especially how I started, including names) and tell how their job is different than a wardrobe stylist and is attacked for doing so. That is what happened. So why let people benefit from what I say? Should I do it from the goodness of my heart? If people don't like it that I deleted what I wrote and left behind the negative exchanges, they are my words. Its not my duty to post. The title of this thread is "what is a wardrobe stylist" and that's been answered, so I don't need to go deeper and explain what a fashion stylist is. Especially when I am treated by these menaces like what I have to say is not appreciated. Who needs that?! Not I.

Sorry I pulled the post that was to you, but I took all of the ones away that were not negative.

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

There is a difference between being a stylist and renting fetish wear...

A picture is worth a 1000 words, and with all of Kuree's words, one picture showing fashion styling would be nice...

Well if that's true, my pictures are worth almost 10,000 words. How many people do you know who say they are fashion stylists and even share their beginnings with names and all, who have what you see in my photos? Nobody of course, so probably a good idea to give to your requests to someone who has no photos and no background info. Fetish wear? I will file you in the "I can't tell the difference between a tin foil get-up and couture that costs thousands" file. It serves me no purpose to have my work on this site. Nor are there very many people on this site I can actually work with and the ones that I should aren't flaming me on forums. I need to work with very special photographers, they are fashion photographers who are equal to better talent to what I've worked with. If you don't fit that profile, then really there is nothing we need to say to eachother anyways.

Posted by Mary: 

Kuree doesn't care what you have to say and didn't even notice your presence until you had to call attention to yourself by calling me out. Don't know what post you are talking about, but I don't really care either.

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

That sounds like a personal problem that existed before this thread. Your loss, not mine. Good luck.

Posted by babydollallways: 

Wardrobe Designer.

Posted by Dan Howell: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

I don't know your experiences in the 'real world', but if you make a reference to stylist depending on the project you could be talking about hair, fashion, food, wardrobe, sets or props.  All disciplines go under the term stylist.  Similar to the moniker photographer that refers to journalism, commercial, fashion, still life, and portrait photographers.

Wardrobe stylist generally refers to a stylist working on advertising and lifestyle projects where the models need to project an image that is believeable within the concept of the shot.  Sometimes that means industry-specific wardrobe, period wardrobe or costume, or impactful wardrobe that establishes a character.

Fashion stylist generally refers to a more specific task of working on fashion-related editorial or advertising projects where the emphasis is season-specific fashions.  A fashion stylist is more like a magazine fashion editor than a fashion designer.  Although it is essential to know aspects of contruction and design to be an editor or stylist, it is more important to understand the broader view of the fashion industry and have resources that allow them to obtain samples of fashion for upcoming seasons of design.

And there's the answer. Halleluah!

Jul 04 05 12:17 am Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 

Posted by Kuree: 

Do you not know what Paco Rabanne is?

Yes definitely you people should NOT work with stylists if you don't know what Paco Rabanne is nor can tell the difference between a dress that costs thousands of dollars opposed to a get-up made from tin foil.

Paco Who?

Or a photo thats in focus opposed to one thats not!

Or the difference between a mannikin and a real woman! Or would that distract from the beauty of the dress ;wink) ?? lol ... next time, maybe I can model your 2600.00 dress...

Posted by area291: 

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

I notice you have the correct nomenclature ;wink

Posted by Jing: 
hahaha shit sorry I just had to laugh.
yeah please don't underestimate the importance of a stylist.
A lot of us photographers actually don't have very good ideas of what looks good on a woman, especially when it involves more cloth than a g-string to cover her genitals.

You're not the only one with that problem! It always seems like less is more in my eyes...although I try to restrain myself... yikes

Jul 04 05 12:56 am Link