Forums > General Industry > What exactly is a "wardrobe stylist"

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by Kuree: 
And the clues from the clueless to the clueless continues...

Really? Tell me where I am wrong, please.

Yes,  where are either of us wrong?  You are just mad because we won at king of the hill.  Go back and make a second outfit.

Jul 02 05 02:56 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Kuree: 

Checked out the dress you designed on your page... Legs Avenue makes one just like it!

Legs Avenue:

https://shop.trashy.com/modelpics/200x300/7149.jpg

Yours:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050516/1/4288ce9c1d4d9_m.jpg

Jul 02 05 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

That human even makes me look good.

Jul 02 05 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

Posted by Kuree: 

Checked out the dress you designed on your page... Legs Avenue makes one just like it!

Legs Avenue:

https://shop.trashy.com/modelpics/200x300/7149.jpg

Yours:

That thing would be a bitch at the airport...

Jul 02 05 03:05 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

You can ask, but you will not receive. tongue

*rubs thumb and two fingers together*

Keep going, this is entertaining!

Jul 02 05 03:08 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Yours:

My name is Kuree, not Paco Rabanne. That designer dress, mine, is $3600. I don't know what that tin foil crap is that you posted, but obviously you should be kept away from clothes if you don't know the difference between a $3600 dress and a $10 dress.

Oh and the other Paco dress in my profile is $6200.

Soo.... can I pick on your profiles now?

Who wants to be first?

Jul 02 05 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Kuree: 
My name is Kuree, not Paco Rabbane. That designer dress, mine, is $3600. I don't know what that tin foil crap is that you posted, but obviously you should be kept away from clothes if you don't know the difference between a $3600 dress and a $10 dress.

Oh and the other Paco dress in my profile is $6300. 

So are you trading on another's good name? hmmm I may have to do a Udo series of photos... Is that cool with with you Udo?

Mike

Jul 02 05 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by Kuree: 

Yours:

My name is Kuree, not Paco Rabbane. That designer dress, mine, is $3600. I don't know what that tin foil crap is that you posted, but obviously you should be kept away from clothes if you don't know the difference between a $3600 dress and a $10 dress.

So you are just a copycat with so called better breeding.

Jul 02 05 03:21 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
So are you trading on another's good name? hmmm I may have to do a Udo series of photos... Is that cool with with you Udo?
Mike

Do you not know what Paco Rabanne is?

Yes definitely you people should NOT work with stylists if you don't know what Paco Rabanne is nor can tell the difference between a dress that costs thousands of dollars opposed to a get-up made from tin foil.

Jul 02 05 03:25 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
hmmm I may have to do a Udo series of photos... Is that cool with with you Udo?
Mike

Before I can give my agreement... I think I'll have to know what a "Udo Series of photos" is... LOL... that's a first one...

Jul 02 05 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Kuree: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
Mike

Do you not know what Paco Rabbane is?

Yes definitely you people should NOT work with stylists if you don't know what Paco Rabbane is nor can tell the difference between a dress that costs thousands of dollars opposed to a get-up made from tin foil.

Well Paco Rabanne is a designer. What more do I need to know?

Jul 02 05 03:29 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Kuree: 
That designer dress, mine, is $3600. I don't know what that tin foil crap is that you posted, but obviously you should be kept away from clothes if you don't know the difference between a $3600 dress and a $10 dress.

Fuck that!  lol

Jul 02 05 03:30 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Paco Rabbane makes perfume, hehe.

Jul 02 05 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Paco Rabbane makes perfume, hehe.

You know I would be more impressed if she could do something with a $10 Wal~Mart dress and a pair of Underoos

Mike

Jul 02 05 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
Mike

Before I can give my agreement... I think I'll have to know what a "Udo Series of photos" is... LOL... that's a first one...

Well so much for that idea.. don't think you would agree to photos of chickens bearing your name.

Jul 02 05 03:36 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
Mike

Well so much for that idea.. don't think you would agree to photos of chickens bearing your name.

LOL... I see what you mean... it's almost 5am, I am a little bit tired... and have to get up early for a shoot starting at 1pm... five models for portfolios.

Jul 02 05 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Mike Cummings: 

Posted by Mike Cummings: 
Mike

LOL... I see what you mean... it's almost 5am, I am a little bit tired... and have to get up early for a shoot starting at 1pm... five models for portfolios.

Sleep well.

Mike

Jul 02 05 03:45 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Why I always get stuck dealing with bottom dweller photographers I will never know.

1. They are my dresses, I own them, I can do whatever I want with them.

2. I don't do Walmart, but I'd consider Target.

3. I usually talk to photographers who's portfolios don't look like my horney little brothers took the photos. And know what Paco Rabanne is. And think tin foil get-ups are tacky.

How do you like me now?

Nighty night.

Jul 02 05 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I am just a dog.  I got no real job.  Sort of like you.

Jul 02 05 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Kuree: 
Why I always get stuck dealing with bottom dweller photographers I will never know.

1. They are my dresses, I own them, I can do whatever I want with them.

2. I don't do Walmart, but I'd consider Target.

3. I usually talk to photographers who's portfolios don't look like my horney little brothers took the photos. And know what Paco Rabanne is. And think tin foil get-ups are tacky.

How do you like me now?

Nighty night.

Maybe you get the bottom dwellers because no real photographer will talk to you for more than a minute.

Aw damn you took a shot at my portfolio... bummer. Why don't you put up some photos of clothing you have styled instead of just hanging on a dummy, then we can talk.

Too good for Wal~Mart? It is easy to make top dollar clothes look good, you want to impress me do it with low dollar crap clothes. Or do you not have the skills for that?

How do you like me now?

Sleep well.

Mike

Jul 02 05 04:06 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

LOL! Yeah whatever. You got the dog part right atleast, Grizzley. And I ain't talking about your avatar.

Jul 02 05 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Yeah but you are cute...

Mike

Jul 02 05 04:08 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Wardrobe stylists are for photographers who don't have the time to put the project together themselves.  People are so stuck on how the final image will look like that they don't plan out thier shoots properly.

Just imagine the image before you shoot it.  You have your location.  Make sure the outfit matches the location's scenario.  Make sure you have a model that fits the outfit that matches the location appropriately.  Make sure you have a makeup artist that could put makeup on the model and make it look right for the outfit that matches the location to make the final image.

hehe

I'm sure that you can't understand the role of a fashion/wardrobe stylist. The type of shoot you are familier with does not fly in the commercial or fashion world.  If you were to ever shoot for a fashion publication you would realize the difference. 

For example, how would you begin to pull clothes?  You can't go to the malls (unless you want to continue to produce images like the ones you display currently) because you would be working on 2 or 3 seasons ahead.  Not only would you have to have the knowledge about what the trends will be in those seasons, but you would have to have contacts that would allow you to use samples of those styles for the shoot.  While there is some truth in Christian's comment about the 'letter' it is far from absolute.  Professional fashion stylists have well-cultivated resources and on-going relationships that allow them access to fashions.  It is silly to suggest that they can only work while holding a letter from an organization they will only work for on one shoot.

For commercial shoots, a photographer is hired to bring a team together that will pull off the shoot.  One aspect of that is the wardrobe.  The wardrobe stylist will commonly read the layout and get 2 or 3 outfits per model that will be appropriate for the shoot.  If the model's size is unknown, the stylist will also get multiple sizes.  They need to be able to predict what a client will need or be able justify their selections based on their experience.  Additionally, they need to have a broad knowledge of resources that could be needed at any time.  A stylist needs to know where they can find swimwear in February or ski masks in August.  And don't forget the shoes.

As a photographer I am paid to organize and orchestrate the shoot and know when good is good enough.  I am not paid by my clients to shop in showrooms or steam garmets, just as I am not expected to apply make-up.  More often I am expected to be in a meeting concerning the shoot while the stylist is organizing the wardrobe and an assistant or set designer/builder is pulling the set or location together.

VM, you seem to jump in on threads that you have no practical experience or perspective.  This thread asked "What is a wardrobe stylist?" yet it is apparent that you have never used one and don't know the function.  I'm left asking, why did you even post?

Jul 02 05 08:55 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Dan, well stated.  It's nice to see you on MM.

They're talking about trying to woo each other ( and possibly a fashion editor ) with Walmart, knock-off clothing and Under-roos... so I figured that risk, responsibility, and exclusivity would be a good place to start.

Jul 02 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I don't really shoot fashion, and I don't see how I could without a good stylist.

Any time I've worked with a stylist, I have appreciated having an extra pair of eyes paying attention to the details.

Jul 02 05 10:17 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Sheesh...

I came back to this thread after a good night's sleep and all Hell broke loose!

Between the first page and what Dan stated there wasn't much value to any of the other postings beyond a pissing contest...

What isn't realized by many is how wardrobe stylists (WS) are an integral part of a production well beyond campaigns incorporating fashion. 

For example, I noted in my first post on page one how they might be used in Annual Report imaging.  When shooting stock, or specific assignment, a WS might be utilized simply for coordinating ties worn by men, business suits worn by women and smart accessories down to the the smallest detail...and it is getting the details correct that make a WS worth their weight in gold.

Countless examples in highly stylized imaging found in upper level commercial campaigns found in publications and marketing collateral that show great sensibility in chosen attire are probably put together by a WS.  Most importantly and again, as Xtreme pointed out and at the very essence, a WS is all about the details.

Also not mentioned is the role a WS plays in the production of television spots...nearly every national commercial one sees on television has the influence of a WS.

It is a specialty discipline, just as hair and MUA artistry that often goes well beyond the reach of the photographer.  Liken it to being equally effective at managing a model (dreaded Internet Model Manager) as well as managing a photography business!  It is a dual role where it becomes difficult to have expertise in dual functionality.

It should also be noted that while Dan has the experience and expertise to coordinate pulling a competent team together, it isn't always the case for photographers to do that function. 

That role should only be taken on by those experienced enough working with multiple artists and having a thorough understanding of individual capabilities.  If the wrong person is chosen it can literally ruin the shoot.  The larger the campaign, the more likely the coordinating role will be undertaken by the Creative / Artistic Director pulling from their previous resource bank.

I might suggest to the inexperienced photographer working at a level where a WS is required to defer taking on the role of WStyling or pulling together a team without having previous experience knowing how it is done correctly.  It will save you a lot of grief.

Jul 02 05 11:24 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Is another "let's all pick on people that know better than us" thread?

Jul 02 05 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

Posted by area291: 
Sheesh...

Me too.  At least the TFP bs stopped smile

Thanks to everyone who posted helpful information.  To the rest of you hot-heads, go jump in a lake and cool off....

I'd love to be at a level where I had a whole team (MUA, hair, wardrobe/fasion stylist, set builder etc.) working for me.  The MUA everyone talks about and seems relatively easy to pull together for a portfolio shoot but how do you get to the level of using all the rest?  Does a photographer have to put one together himself to have images like that in his portfolio to start getting work with?  Or does he/she just need a portfolio that shows enough potential for a client to hire him/her as part of the team?

I know there are probabaly many different paths but what is common?

I've been focusing on gaining experience with the technical part of photography and working with models etc., but for the past several months I've been at the point where I want to do more, have better syled outfits (which I suck at), more elaborate sets (as VM mentioned I'm looking into some local clubs) etc.  And it's a lot of freakin' work!

Jul 02 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Ms. Theda, I was talking to God ( She asked I say " What's Up?" to you ).  I asked if we ( you and me ) were ever going to shoot together.  You'll never believe what She told me.

Jul 02 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by theda: 
Is another "let's all pick on people that know better than us" thread?

1, 2, 3, 4, ... 47 ... 71 ...

Jul 02 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Oh oh, here come the big bad agency fashion photographers who know everything!  I'm scared!

Jul 02 05 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I am sooo surprised that no-one mentioned an important duty of the wardrobe stylist on a photoshoot... am I the only one that workes with such people?

During the photo shoot... the stylist makes sure that the garment is fitting PROPERLY, it's not hanging or folding on the wrong places...

Checks that e.g. no bra straps are showing where they shouldn't. If the photographers sees that something is wrong with the picture, the stylist is directed to fix it.

The job is that the garment looks PERFECT at the shoot, no designer wants to see sloppy clothes where they shouldn't.

The clothes are not custom taylored to the models measurements (except for supermodels) so the stylist make them appear custom taylored.

The stylist is highly skilled in fixing the fabric!

My wardrobe stylist left the studio for a second and i got the Dreaded Panty tag in the shot!!!
Thank my Dog for Photoshop

Jul 02 05 02:37 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Posted by area291: 
Sheesh...

Between the first page and what Dan stated there wasn't much value to any of the other postings beyond a pissing contest...

What isn't realized by many is how wardrobe stylists (WS) are an integral part of a production well beyond campaigns incorporating fashion. 

For example, I noted in my first post on page one how they might be used in Annual Report imaging.  When shooting stock, or specific assignment, a WS might be utilized simply for coordinating ties worn by men, business suits worn by women and smart accessories down to the the smallest detail...and it is getting the details correct that make a WS worth their weight in gold.

Countless examples in highly stylized imaging found in upper level commercial campaigns found in publications and marketing collateral that show great sensibility in chosen attire are probably put together by a WS.  Most importantly and again, as Xtreme pointed out and at the very essence, a WS is all about the details.

Also not mentioned is the role a WS plays in the production of television spots...nearly every national commercial one sees on television has the influence of a WS.

It is a specialty discipline, just as hair and MUA artistry that often goes well beyond the reach of the photographer.  Liken it to being equally effective at managing a model (dreaded Internet Model Manager) as well as managing a photography business!  It is a dual role where it becomes difficult to have expertise in dual functionality.

It should also be noted that while Dan has the experience and expertise to coordinate pulling a competent team together, it isn't always the case for photographers to do that function. 

That role should only be taken on by those experienced enough working with multiple artists and having a thorough understanding of individual capabilities.  If the wrong person is chosen it can literally ruin the shoot.  The larger the campaign, the more likely the coordinating role will be undertaken by the Creative / Artistic Director pulling from their previous resource bank.

I might suggest to the inexperienced photographer working at a level where a WS is required to defer taking on the role of WStyling or pulling together a team without having previous experience knowing how it is done correctly.  It will save you a lot of grief. 

Yup, I deleted my posts. But I did say before about your other post.... that it was an excellent description of a wardrobe stylist.

While the MO is very different between a Fashion Stylist and a Wardrobe Stylist, you certainly put into words the job of one of them very well.

Now I am going to soak my pompous ass in Evian.

Jul 02 05 02:45 pm Link

Model

fashion/wardrobe stylist/coordinator - what's the clarification?

Jul 02 05 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Kuree: 

Do you not know what Paco Rabanne is?

Yes definitely you people should NOT work with stylists if you don't know what Paco Rabanne is nor can tell the difference between a dress that costs thousands of dollars opposed to a get-up made from tin foil.

Paco Who?

Or a photo thats in focus opposed to one thats not!

Jul 02 05 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Oh oh, here come the big bad agency fashion photographers who know everything!  I'm scared!

"  There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguements and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." - Herbert Spencer

Jul 02 05 03:07 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Oh I so agree with Christian.

VM, I suggest you use this forum to learn rather than to argue and pick fights with people you know nothing about who could teach you a whole lot from their experience.

Jul 02 05 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by ChristianBehr: 

"  There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguements and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." - Herbert Spencer

Ironic in this case that Spencer was also the one to coin the phrase "survival of the fittest."

One of my favorite Herbs...

Jul 02 05 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by ChristianBehr: 

Ironic in this case that Spencer was also the one to coin the phrase "survival of the fittest."

Herbs smoke the erb.  I thought we banned that practice.

Jul 02 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by ChristianBehr: 

Herbs smoke the erb.  I thought we banned that practice.

He doesn't need to practice, he is a pro. ;-)

Jul 02 05 03:48 pm Link