Forums > General Industry > You're pretty but you have no passion

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

So many of the models here have beautifull faces and figures they often
have cool creative shots with great outfits but somethings missing...
They all look the same.  Its the same look or expression, shot after shot
after shot.  There is often no passion in their eyes.  I remember seeing
the movie; Anton Fisher.  The main character goes to meet his birth mother who had abandoned him.  She had a history of mental problems and I believe drug abuse.  This actor without saying a word gives a fantastic performance with just her facial expressions.  This is to me whats often lacking in model ports.  This in no way is a knock at models as I stated at the start, all of you are beautifull but many lack that special spark and that in my view is what separates average models from great models.

Mar 20 06 12:28 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

i could not agree more......
it is the thing that frustrates me the most in glancing through a portfolio--a beautiful person in beautiful clothes and the exact same expression in every shot....
i really believe that the most important part of being a model is being able to emote. it is one of the only things that cannot be done by the photographer.

Mar 20 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

That is why everyone CANT be a model...

You are very correct. I often tel models they are actors..One frame at a time.
There job is actually harder becuse they only have one frame. I have seen many ports with models most would not consider "model material"...However, many of these individuals bring attitude and variety to theor expressions. Thus making up for the "lack" in looks.

It takes many pieces to make an awesome whole...

Mar 20 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Elliot

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Mebbe sometimes it takes the right photographer to bring out that something special, extra in the model? I for one am nowhere near that level, but suspect that as much as a model needs to be an actor, a photographer needs to be a director ... im sure ill get bashed for this, but aside from everything, isn't it the interaction between the two people using a camera?

I'm sure that every photographer has his fav model that he works with often/closely and somehow due to chemistry or experience or what not, results are better as there is a good comfort level and trust that allows the models to relax and be herself and the photographer to suggest more difficult or demanding themes?

Mar 20 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Phoenix E wrote:
i could not agree more......
it is the thing that frustrates me the most in glancing through a portfolio--a beautiful person in beautiful clothes and the exact same expression in every shot....
i really believe that the most important part of being a model is being able to emote. it is one of the only things that cannot be done by the photographer.

You are a great example of a model with talent.  Your looks are different and unique.  Don't get me wrong photographers must be able to capture looks and
emotions.  Part of this is called the decisive moment.  Yet how fustrating to have a beautifull  model who has one look.

Mar 20 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

You can't put all the blame on a model. It's a photographers job to work and pull that look out.

Mar 20 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
You can't put all the blame on a model. It's a photographers job to work and pull that look out.

Exactly.  Go team effort.

Mar 20 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

VirtuaMike wrote:

It's not about putting blame, as one poster has said, photgraphers need to be directors as well.

Just lie not every one has the on camera gifts as another, not everyone can be a photgrapher either.

The magic really happens when both parties bring all the tool to the table.

In the end, if EVERYBODY could do everything, well it just wouldnt be as much fun. :-)

Mar 20 06 12:47 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

95% Model 5% Photographer.
I take it upon myself to prepare for a shoot and most girls feel like they are just supposed to shave their legs and show up and between the photographer, the makeup artist, and the stylist, she will become a star... or even a model.

Mar 20 06 12:50 am Link

Model

Marley Decadence

i definately practice in the mirror and even when friends are taking pictures of me for fun,  i definately want my personality to shine through.. i hope it does!

Mar 20 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photography by Elliot wrote:
Mebbe sometimes it takes the right photographer to bring out that something special, extra in the model? I for one am nowhere near that level, but suspect that as much as a model needs to be an actor, a photographer needs to be a director ... im sure ill get bashed for this, but aside from everything, isn't it the interaction between the two people using a camera?

I'm sure that every photographer has his fav model that he works with often/closely and somehow due to chemistry or experience or what not, results are better as there is a good comfort level and trust that allows the models to relax and be herself and the photographer to suggest more difficult or demanding themes?

This can be very true.  A good director can very often push or bring something out in his actors.  Sometimes its a comfort level but I'm talking about models who
have worked with several photographers who continue to give the same smile or
looks.  Look around this site.  The models have great figures and faces but what
makes one model more desired then another?  So many seem stiff and posed.
Looking at their ports I'm most impressed by models who project somethng in their
eyes.  Maybe its a willingness to take chances.  Maybe its a warmth they project
or attitude but lets see something besides that blank and or vapid smile.

Mar 20 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Elliot

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Ahh I see your point ... its as if there is no personality inside or none coming out in those shots - technically correct, beautiful, but somehow lifeless? I wonder what the cure is? ...

Mar 20 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Marley Decadence wrote:
i definately practice in the mirror and even when friends are taking pictures of me for fun,  i definately want my personality to shine through.. i hope it does!

I got a mirror in my pocket and I practice lookin' hard

Mirror, mirror make the call

Who's the hardest of them all

--------- E-40

I just had to add that

Mar 20 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

VirtuaMike wrote:

No blame just an observation.  However we've all had models that seem to just flow into looks and poses.  Almost no direction is needed.  They have a instinctive
feel for the camera.  Think for example; Betty Page.  While there were models as pretty and with nice figures, she stood out.  I've only had a few models like this.
Women so at ease with themselves that you hated for the shoot to end.

Mar 20 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

check out my new thread on comments. I made a comment about the models pose and expression here:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=36533

im not saying she has no passion im just saying i made a comment on her choice of expression.. (or the photographers... I dont know who made the choice)

Mar 20 06 01:13 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Maybe its a willingness to take chances.

I think there's something to that.  In my field (art modeling), unless you're doing totally impersonal figure work, the model's ability to project and be emotionally available to the camera in some capacity is crucial to the overall success of the image.  Whether her expressiveness is subtle or exaggerated, there's an incredible degree of vulnerability that goes along with it.  You have to be willing to make mistakes or look stupid.  You've gotta sometimes take a shot that might not make you look beautiful but is somehow meaningful or important despite the lack of "beauty."  You need to care about what you're doing, and be invested in it beyond the "Ohhh, pretty!" factor if it's going to mean something to someone else.

If you look at some of the art models on this site who have mindbendingly creative portfolios, and who consistently work with photographers who are genuinely artists with their gear, you'll find an enormous emotional range in their portfolios.  Photographers feed on that.  When they know they can get X or Y or Z from a model just for the asking, they get pumped, you can see it fuel their creativity, their energy goes way up, and that's when the magic happens.

Mar 20 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

imagine you (photographer) are working with a new model on his/her first shoot; no experience, just a great "look", so what do you do?

or, what if you're shooting with the very experienced model who, however, isn't getting "it" (i.e., what you want); again, what do you do?

gonna have to side with the comments about me, the photographer being in charge on my set & responsible for what happens, including bringing the model around to the expressiveness that i'm looking for in my work ...

just two cents ...

fml

Mar 20 06 01:19 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Lack of passion...  I think that there is too much Prozac getting in the water. Some people you meet on the streat today are just zombies. - It's scarry.   "Night of the Living Dead" scarry.

Mar 20 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

FabioTovar wrote:
check out my new thread on comments. I made a comment about the models pose and expression here:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=36533

im not saying she has no passion im just saying i made a comment on her choice of expression.. (or the photographers... I dont know who made the choice)

Intresting and well said and what my post is all about.  She's pretty the pose nice
a bit lacking in the tech area but she looks dead.  Its funny I've seen models who with all their clothes on have more sex appeal then a explict nude model.
Sure the photographer is responsible for the final images but there are very real reasons that some models make it and some don't.

Mar 20 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shyly wrote:

I think there's something to that.  In my field (art modeling), unless you're doing totally impersonal figure work, the model's ability to project and be emotionally available to the camera in some capacity is crucial to the overall success of the image.  Whether her expressiveness is subtle or exaggerated, there's an incredible degree of vulnerability that goes along with it.  You have to be willing to make mistakes or look stupid.  You've gotta sometimes take a shot that might not make you look beautiful but is somehow meaningful or important despite the lack of "beauty."  You need to care about what you're doing, and be invested in it beyond the "Ohhh, pretty!" factor if it's going to mean something to someone else.

If you look at some of the art models on this site who have mindbendingly creative portfolios, and who consistently work with photographers who are genuinely artists with their gear, you'll find an enormous emotional range in their portfolios.  Photographers feed on that.  When they know they can get X or Y or Z from a model just for the asking, they get pumped, you can see it fuel their creativity, their energy goes way up, and that's when the magic happens.

I love you!  You are on target.  A model is often a muse for a photographer.  I'm not talking about someone who is shooting snapshot level images or crude or
Hustler level nudes but someone who is trying to create a piece of art, stock
shot or portfolio work.  I recall shooting a really pretty model who was stiff as
a board and had one expression, pissed.  Thats all she had to give, this look like
she smelled something bad.  I even asked her if my breath was bad or if I was
smelly.  She said no.  I do try not to offend.  As you can imagine the shoot wasn't a success.  She was pretty, the outfits nice, good make-up but a model with
nothing to give.

Mar 20 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
model is often a muse for a photographer

that's touching awfully close to another question; many might counter that we work with a number of models but only few ever become a true "muse" ...

still, as per the original question, just as applicable to working with a "muse", we the photographers have to do our part in bringing out what we're trying to get.

fml

Mar 20 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photography by Elliot wrote:
Ahh I see your point ... its as if there is no personality inside or none coming out in those shots - technically correct, beautiful, but somehow lifeless? I wonder what the cure is? ...

You got it.  Its why a actor like Dakota Fanning is so sought out.  There
are lots of talented children but she shines.

Mar 20 06 01:48 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

Tony Lawrence wrote:

You are a great example of a model with talent.  Your looks are different and unique.  Don't get me wrong photographers must be able to capture looks and
emotions.  Part of this is called the decisive moment.  Yet how fustrating to have a beautifull  model who has one look.

Thank you so much. Sincerely.

Mar 20 06 01:49 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

Shyly wrote:

again, shyly ma chere, you put into words that which is in my head....

Mar 20 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

FML-Photography wrote:

that's touching awfully close to another question; many might counter that we work with a number of models but only few ever become a true "muse" ...

still, as per the original question, just as applicable to working with a "muse", we the photographers have to do our part in bringing out what we're trying to get.

fml

Shyly said it best in her comments about art models, etc.  What has happened to me is that when a model is stiff and unwilling or unable to emote it affects me.
Have you for example had a model ask before a shoot how long it will take?
I've told several, its over now.  Even if I haven't started.  As much as the models
look drives me her overall attitude affects me.  However this is a departure from my original point of models giving something.  No one can know you by seeing a photo but you can give a viewer somthing that they will remember. Some models
no matter how pretty can't and some average models are so full of energy and
life it radiates all through their images.  Those are the models I want.

Mar 20 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Wallace333

in addition to the lack of emotion in their shots, dont forget how no one is dependable around here. one out of a hundred girls will even bother to respond to messages about work (alot of times i assume they dont respond cause they dont think its paid work, but since they dont respond, they never find out i was gonna offer them pay) and out of those who do respond and will set up a shoot with you, 99% of those will either cancel last minute or not bother to show up at all (and not try to ever contact you after to let you know the deal). i'm about two seconds away from deleting my account all together.

Mar 20 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

I agree with both sides of this statement.  As a photographer, you have to direct, but as a model, you have to be willing to take direction and add your own artistic flair.  I don't want to do all the work because in that case, I'd buy a Barbie doll and pose it.  I totally understand the idea of trying to get a model to come around to your idea of what you want for an image.  I find that some models that have been doing it for a little while, no matter how hard you try to get them to try it your way, they give what they are comfortable giving. (Which might be like watching paint dry.... Just blank space!)  It's like a bad habit and no amount of asking, conjoling or bullying is going to change them or their expressions.  Now as a photographer, I understand that you have to work with each individual to bring out the best performances, but some models are better at it just like some photographers are better at taking photographs.  I love working with models that are fearless.  That ability to focus on each part of their body and get it just right.  Angles, facial expressions, body positioning, hair, and make up.  The whole nine.  Those are "real" models to me and I just love working with them!

Mar 20 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Anthony Wallace wrote:
in addition to the lack of emotion in their shots, dont forget how no one is dependable around here. one out of a hundred girls will even bother to respond to messages about work (alot of times i assume they dont respond cause they dont think its paid work, but since they dont respond, they never find out i was gonna offer them pay) and out of those who do respond and will set up a shoot with you, 99% of those will either cancel last minute or not bother to show up at all (and not try to ever contact you after to let you know the deal). i'm about two seconds away from deleting my account all together.

This is a big problem.  As a photographer of people you count on them so that
you can work through your creative ideals.  However I would say don't count on
them at all.  When you hear from a model for a shoot have her call and confirm
a hour before a shoot.  Still some won't show.  Its part of the bussiness but you
are getting models and you have good work.  Network a bit more.  Notice even some of the major players here have the same issues.  Don't quit! I have often
had better luck with women I've met at malls and in public.  I'm pretty friendly
even if that doesn't always come accross here.  Think this way, you go to a party
to meet a nice lady hopefully to get dates.  If you only talk to one or two odds are you won't get a date but if you open up and talk to more ladies you open the
door to more chances.

Mar 20 06 02:34 am Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

Shyly wrote:

And you are one of my absolute favorites in this realm!!!

Mar 20 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Gerry Hanan

Round Rock, Texas, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
So many of the models here have beautifull faces and figures they often
after shot.  There is often no passion in their eyes.  I remember seeing
the movie; Anton Fisher.  The main character goes to meet his birth mother who had abandoned him.  She had a history of mental problems and I believe drug abuse.  This actor without saying a word gives a fantastic performance with just her facial expressions.  This is to me whats often lacking in model ports.  This in no way is a knock at models as I stated at the start, all of you are beautifull but many lack that special spark and that in my view is what separates average models from great models.

I could not agree more.  It took me a fair while to discover this and this is my take on it. 

Modeling is acting for single frame movies. 

Being unique or beautiful gets you in the door but if you cannot perform, loose your concern about the camera and the people there then the images will reflect that.  Modeling is a verb, and this can be seen very clearly on the runway because we have all seen moving picture captures of a runway show. Here, one can see the models model.

If a model brought the same movement, expression and confidence to a shoot then they will get wonderful results (as compared to if they didn't) We are all at varying stages in our careers and pursuits so there may be models out there who do not have it yet, seek the abandon, seek the confidence, seek the lack of concern about ones surroundings during the shoot, seek the freedom to be expressive both facially and physically.

This is all just personal opinion and if you look at the results of my first 18 months of photography you will see where some brought it and others didnt by going here http://www.hananexposures.com/ and click on models.

Mar 20 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Yze

Huntsville, Alabama, US

You're pretty but have no passion. Good line. My version is "You're beautiful, but so what!" If I get no energy from you, I can't use you. Just being pretty isn't worth crap. I've seen incredible pics of Grace Jones, who isn't really ugly (those are facial expressions for her characters), but she isn't really pretty either. Her pics, however ranged from sexy as hell to astonishing. 3 MM models that come to mind. Nerlande (hey girl, whatyonameis) is what I'd consider industry standard. A pretty girl, slim, good height & very versitile. Nemi (straight up roundtheway girl) not industry standard, but is very attractive & creative. Someone that you couldn't & wouldn't want to change. Just let her do her thing. Josianne Junkie (BUCKWILD) her concepts come at you from every direction. They capture you. You almost have to remember that she's a model & not the character that she's portraying in the pic. All of these ladies work the absolute hell out of their pics & I love them for it. I can't see a photographer getting frustrated shooting them for lack of inspiration, only lack of time to keep going, and going, and going...........

Mar 20 06 08:58 am Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

No blame just an observation.  However we've all had models that seem to just flow into looks and poses.  Almost no direction is needed.  They have a instinctive
feel for the camera.  Think for example; Betty Page.  While there were models as pretty and with nice figures, she stood out.  I've only had a few models like this.
Women so at ease with themselves that you hated for the shoot to end.

It helps when you feel at ease with the photographer, then you can just concentrate on the shot

Mar 20 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

gexcel

VirtuaMike wrote:

I disagree, We can only do so much to direct them.  We can't give them personality or charisma, sensuality, sex appeal or the ability to model.. Models need to get into character with whatever the concept maybe. Some models are afraid of looking a certain way infront of the camera that they have learned to hold certain poses because they think they look best that way.

Mar 20 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ahhhh, yes.  This is what I'm talking about.  All of it reflects into your work.
Don't get me wrong a photographer must have passion also.  He/she must
love the art itself.  How lucky for a photographer to have a model who is like
a unpainted canvas.  Able to be molded or worked into the ideals we have.  Even
better those so sure and confident with themselves that no pose is beyond their
reach.  I recall shooting a model wearing a short skirt who was uneasy as she
didn't want anyone looking up it. Understandable to a point but hey, wear clean
underwear.  It was really funny as she had on a swimsuit moments earlier. 
This model while pretty wasn't comfortable with herself.  A model as others have
stated must bring more to the table besides good looks.  This even connects to
another photographers thread here about models not following through on shoots.
It connects but it says they aren't focused.  There was a model I shot recently who was willing to do almost anything. She was fearless.  I was the first person she's shot with but she gave of herself.   Was on time for the shoot and ready with
a wide range of looks.  Models if this is what you want then live it.  Make each
shoot like it was the last you plan to do.  Give it your all.

Mar 20 06 09:50 am Link

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

I agree with both sides.  If the model has no drive, it, of course, is evident in her pictures.  Then again, if the photographer isn't pushing her to do better, she can go into her "comfort zone".  I've been guilty of that before.  As mentioned above, I practice in a mirror to see how I can improve.  I also like when a photographer pushes me in a different way - outside the box, if you want to be cliche - so that it's exicting.
This is a great topic.

Mar 20 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Everyone has a valid point here. It is up to the model to bring life to the shot through her eyes and expression and not give the dreaded "Blue Steeel" look each and every time. But it's also up to the photographer to bring out the model's character and expression. Unless there are mirrors all over the room, how can a model see what she is doing? The photographer sees all and should coach/direct these expression if they are lacking. It's fair to say that not every model is  capable of bringing that extra "shine" to a shoot, just as it's fair to say that not every photographer is able to bring out the emotion.

If I've completed a shoot and I don't see the look I want or I see all the same expressions... I have no one to blame but myself.

Mar 20 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Look at the model's expressions in Blow Up when David Hemmings is shooting in his studio.

Mar 20 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
they often
after shot.

Yes, but as you look through photos, don't many of the shots look much the same?  The photographer apparently calling for the same pose? The same thought of a prop forced into the scene? Same angles? Same lighting?

Any given group has its own level. Someone can be a terrific high school athlete yet not be competitive in college. Or be competitive in college but not have a chance in the pros.

The comparison holds true with modeling and photography. Most of the models, most of the photographers, on this site are above what you would get as opposed to someone off the street with a camera. But within this higher level, there is a level of "average," too. A model can be beautiful but vanilla - a photographer's work can be technically great but vanilla.

It's the level that transcends "average," sometimes by a little, sometimes by a lot, that make it all worthwhile for those people who like to see the good stuff emerge. Sure, some models have no passion. Neither do some photographers. It's all part of the spectrum of the human experience. The outstanding will stand out.

Mar 20 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I call it the "On The Pole" look or the "Deer In The Headlights" look. Many of the on-line talent people have this problem. It's one of the reasons I always ask if a potential talent has any acting experience.

Mar 20 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
I call it the "On The Pole" look or the "Deer In The Headlights" look. Many of the on-line talent people have this problem. It's one of the reasons I always ask if a potential talent has any acting experience.

Bob, Your work is all about getting the model to emote! Check out his port!  Perfect examples of photographer and models working together.

Mar 20 06 10:25 am Link