Forums > General Industry > When the model strips nude in front of you

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Instead of changing outfits in the bathroom, she just strips off one outfit, panties and all, and dons the next outfit.  While I'm standing there.  It first happened for me in a photoshoot in 2003.  I've been around the block a few times, but that shocked me.  Don't stare.  Look, look away, look, look away.  Fleeting glances at the model's goodies, but that's it.  A silent "Yikes!"

I'm less shocked, now, but it's still a heart-pounder, each time.  Anyone else have that reaction, or am I just not a cool enough cucumber?  ::phallic reference slipped in there::

Mar 13 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

William Coleman wrote:
Instead of changing outfits in the bathroom, she just strips off one outfit, panties and all, and dons the next outfit.  While I'm standing there.  It first happened for me in a photoshoot in 2003.  I've been around the block a few times, but that shocked me.  Don't stare.  Look, look away, look, look away.  Fleeting glances at the model's goodies, but that's it.  A silent "Yikes!"

I'm less shocked, now, but it's still a heart-pounder, each time.  Anyone else have that reaction, or am I just not a cool enough cucumber?  ::phallic reference slipped in there::

It probably showes that the model is very confortable with in her own skin.  I would be willing to lay even odds that at home she is a nudist as well.

Mar 13 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

It has happened many many times and it is always models I have worked with before or really experienced nude art models. I just continue doing what I was doing even if we were in a conversation, after awhile you get really used to naked models.

Mar 13 06 03:12 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

99 % of the time it is just no big deal,  a relief to be working with someone who thinks I have never seen a boobie before.

Most of the time if I am there it is so none sexual that it is just like looking at a painting.

The first few times is a shock based much on just the shock of seeing someone so cool.

(happens maybe 10 % of time,  I think it happened more before all the cell phone cameras and tiny cameras.)

Models would walk around naked in Miami beach when it first blew up.

Mar 13 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

William Coleman wrote:

hey... watch where you slip that phallic reference, buddy!!

they're just naked people... nothing to get all crazy about.  I find that the more comfortable the model is with their nudity, the more comfortable i am with it.  If the model is anxious about it, it makes me anxious and i start to worry if i'm making her more anxious... a vicious circle!

Mar 13 06 03:13 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Reading this kinda made my heart pound...cant believe some women even professional might not have the decency...to go in the bathroom or a room....wow...

i am comfortable in front of the camera...just wouldnt show all out in front of the photographer.....unless it is a nude artistic model

Mar 13 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

ObscuraPhotography KC

Olathe, Kansas, US

William Coleman wrote:

The first and only time that happened was in college in a studio photography class...the model was wearing little boy shorts and a wrap up top.  One of the other shooters wanted to change things up and the model just whipped off the top and kept right on going...it was something...

Mar 13 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Yeah, it happens. Hardly worthy of a thread topic though.

Mar 13 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I work in Theatre and it has happened, lots.  Look away is the professional response.  Play with yer damn lights or something!

Mar 13 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Models strip in front of me all the time...

smile

https://www.vsp-poker.com/cover.jpg

P.S.

I take it that you are not photographing nudes?  lol

Most experienced models do not mind changing in front of the photographer/crew.  Most experienced photographers ignore the model and continue checking the camera/lighting/set as the model is changing.

Mar 13 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

CristinaLex wrote:
Reading this kinda made my heart pound...cant believe some women even professional might not have the decency...to go in the bathroom or a room....wow...

i just don't get this, cristina... you're saying that the nude human form is indecent?

Mar 13 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

ObscuraPhotography KC

Olathe, Kansas, US

DJ Photography wrote:

The first and only time that happened was in college in a studio photography class...the model was wearing little boy shorts and a wrap up top.  One of the other shooters wanted to change things up and the model just whipped off the top and kept right on going...it was something...

I guess I should mention that the model was female...

Anyway...I also photograph a lot of babies & little kids and moms are constantly breastfeeding around the studio...you get used to it...

Mar 13 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

lol that one girl did it on America's Next Top Model, I was laughing so hard lol

Mar 13 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

S D Y W O R L D

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

This happened to me last night at a shoot.
"Bongggggg!"

Mar 13 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

It's happened to me too.  I didn't really think much about it because I actually paid the model her nude rate instead and could have photographed her nude anytime I wanted.

She looked so great in her wardrobe I never really wanted to get her out of it.  lol.  Some of you may think I'm nuts.  I'm one of those that thinks leaving even a little for the imagination makes a better photograph.

David

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

shut up!  this should be taught in modeling school!

no, but it is now an ego thing.

I asked one model that - naked in front of me having this conversation.
"It's only you"  was the answer.

I am not even dangerous anymore, damn!

Photographer

S D Y W O R L D

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

This happened to me last night at a shoot.
"Boyyyongggg!"

Model

CristinaLex

Ian Weintraub wrote:

i just don't get this, cristina... you're saying that the nude human form is indecent?

no ...but you have to have some decency as a lady....its not hard to go into another room to change...personally another man will never see all my action...unless thats the type of image i am driving for..which by a long shot i wont...but i think it is just respectful to me...the photographer and my boyfriend...who lingers in my mind during a shoot...but mainly because i am a lady..some people are different..i wouldnt mind going in a room to change...i dont really care for lookin at another women naked unless in a nude art photo or a good friend of mine spending the night over my house and is changing....i am just not comfortable with women being "out there"....but all this is my personal choice

Mar 13 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Ain't no thang!

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It happens and it's no big deal to me anymore.   I've even had clients do it.  I think the most memorable one was when a client was here to shoot a series of art nudes.  We were discussing the poses etc. and, as she pulled her blouse down exposing her breasts, she said "are you going to have any problems covering up my stretch marks on these?  I've lost a lot of weight."  smile

Photographer

Philip Barker

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

If a model is openly prepared to change in front of a photographer it normally means that she is very comfortable with herself, the surroundings and him - otherwise she would change in private. Go behind the scenes of any big major fashion show and you wiould be amazed. The models don't have time to 'go hide' - they change from one outfit to another on the spot, and from a certain point of view it could all be considered the greatest strip show on earth - but that is only by circumstance.

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Sure, it's happened.  Just casually look away.  Otherwise you'll look like you've never seen a nude woman before...

Mar 13 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

CristinaLex wrote:

i am comfortable in front of the camera...just wouldnt show all out in front of the photographer.....unless it is a nude artistic model

I am waiting!

Mar 13 06 03:21 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

I am waiting!

you gonna wait forever sweety because it aint happening smile

Mar 13 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Zunaphoto wrote:
I work in Theatre and it has happened, lots.  Look away is the professional response.  Play with yer damn lights or something!

lol

You should be checking the lights/equipment regardless...not just because the model is changing...

Actually, from time to time, models will actually require help getting their garters, hose, etc. on and adjusted so that it looks right.

It really is no big deal...unless I am shooting a portrait or a boudoir image for non-model clients.  In that case, I direct them to the bathroom/changing room and they come out when they are ready.

Mar 13 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

William Coleman wrote:

It has happened enough where I am not even phased anymore.  I think the first time I was phased, but thought to myself, if it doesn't bother them, then it shouldn't bother me and just rolled with it.  In the end, it's just skin.

Mar 13 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

About 50% of the models I shoot do this (even when I’ve just shown them the changing room).

I find it slightly amusing and pay no attention to it (actually I pay more attention to what’s playing on the CD player than their waxing).

Allot of the models say they attribute it to my quick and high comfort level.

It's even funnier when their changing in the front seat of my car on the way to a location and you hear the truckers honk'n big_smile

Mar 13 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

CristinaLex wrote:

you gonna wait forever sweety because it aint happening smile

falling off my chair laughing!

Mar 13 06 03:24 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

falling off my chair laughing!

and whats soo funny?

Mar 13 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

I'm uncomfortable only if the model is uncomfortable. As to arousal, nude body doesn't automatically mean sex to me. Especially in case of twenty-some-year olds. They are just like cute little babies running around naked. You just want to walk up to them and pinch their cheeks (face cheeks - for the perverts here).

Mar 13 06 03:27 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

prb wrote:
Go behind the scenes of any big major fashion show and you wiould be amazed. The models don't have time to 'go hide' - they change from one outfit to another on the spot, and from a certain point of view it could all be considered the greatest strip show on earth - but that is only by circumstance.

My thoughts exactly... but for the most part it is all professionals, behaving as professionals, doing a job... there's no time (and it is unprofessional) to ogle a model's bits

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

It happens more often than not with a professional model who's been on shoots where someone is yelling at them all the time to hustle, hustle, hustle.
beats waiting 10 minutes for the ole bathroom change act.

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

David A wrote:
It's happened to me too.  I didn't really think much about it because I actually paid the model her nude rate instead and could have photographed her nude anytime I wanted.

Even when working with a nude model, you don't have the "right" to photograph her in the nude "anytime" you want.  The model should be aware of when the camera is clicking...

Otherwise, she isn't modeling but being caught off guard...

Always ask...and if you see a shot that looks good when the model isn't posing, shoot and ask...and if she doesn't approve...destroy it.

Just because you hire someone to model doesn't give you the right to take pictures when they aren't modeling...

Mar 13 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Zunaphoto wrote:

I do look away.  Sort of.  And I pretend I'm reviewing the prior shots in the camera.  But my eyes keep bouncing back over there.  I struggle, successfully, to maintain a professional demeanor (I don't shout "Yowza!"), for the model's sake, my sake, and the shoot's sake.  But, damn!  It's freakin' amazing that they can just do that!

Mar 13 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

CristinaLex wrote:

and whats soo funny?

that was NY/black/caribbean sassy answer!
I have heard that 2,457 times from women in NY

Mar 13 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

CristinaLex wrote:

and whats soo funny?

[Singing] No you never gonna get it, never ever gonna get it.

Mar 13 06 03:30 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

that was NY/black/caribbean sassy answer!
I have heard that 2,457 times from women in NY

yes...because i dont see whats soo funny...if something flew over my head i would like to know

Mar 13 06 03:31 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:

yes...because i dont see whats soo funny...if something flew over my head i would like to know

what you said was pretty funny.....are you serious about being serious?

Mar 13 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Gregory Garecki wrote:

[Singing] No you never gonna get it, never ever gonna get it.

That I still hear, WHY?

Mar 13 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I try not to draw attention to the fact that they are dressing in front of me.  I'll turn my back and/or fiddle with my camera and act like nothing is going on.

Though Saturday night, I teased our model (two photogs) that changed in front of me.  She didn't get naked though.  She pulled up capri pants right underneath her skirt and then slipped the skirt off.  I joked that I was getting to watch a model take off and put on clothes right in front of me and I didn't get to see anything!

Mar 13 06 03:33 pm Link