Forums > General Industry > The word "tog"...

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

...anyone else hate it?

I'm not even a photographer and I hate it.  It seems lazy to me that someone cant type out the whole word.  And I haven't heard it actual use yet (verbally vs. written), but I can only imagine how unprofessional it would sound.

Mar 10 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Florence, South Carolina, US

yep... hate it

Mar 10 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Sounds like something that would live under a bridge.

Mar 10 06 12:26 pm Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

It's my dogs name.

Mar 10 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

ud thnk ppl wldnt b so lzy bout spellin out full wrdz.

Mar 10 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Suzi wrote:
It's my dogs name.

do you mean "dog" is what you call your "tog"? smile

i knew this photography crap was a dog's life...

Mar 10 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

Yeah.

GWC!

Mar 10 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

And who thinks those people are professionals?  No one.

Though I did run accross a model the other day who typed like that, I said something to him about it, and the next email he almost knocked me over in amazement with the difference.  Litterally from what you wrote, Ian, to how I write (not perfect, but much better).

Mar 10 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

yes, it's really irritating.

Mar 10 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Those who use the word "tog" are the real internet models.

Mar 10 06 12:37 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I like photog I put that cause I am too lazy to type out the whole thing even though I am only missing like six leters.....man I am lazy! LOL

Mar 10 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

i hate tog, it reminds me of pogs, you know, those things us 80's babies used to play with a lot. but seriously, i don't see why they can't type out the whole word. of course i type like 98 words per minute.

Mar 10 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

S wrote:
...anyone else hate it?

I'm not even a photographer and I hate it.  It seems lazy to me that someone cant type out the whole word.  And I haven't heard it actual use yet (verbally vs. written), but I can only imagine how unprofessional it would sound.

Sheesh!  It's just an abbreviation.  Just like some use "mod" for model.  Seriously not that big a deal.  It is a tad time consuming to type P H O T O G R A P H E R every single time you want to mention one.  I doubt anyone "says" tog in spoken/verbalized conversation.

Mar 10 06 12:40 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
i hate tog, it reminds me of pogs, you know, those things us 80's babies used to play with a lot.

OMG, I so remember those.  We would flag down the cops that patrolled the neighborhood and badger them for as man pogs as possible.  I wonder if those will make it to the "I love Toys" show I've been watching lately on VH1?

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

I've never been big on abbreviating stuff when I write...part of it could be just me...part of it could be that I missed out on the half-generation below me who grew up chatting online with one another while in middle and high school...

In any case, I find that it takes me even longer to read abbreviated messages because I have to actually read them out loud in my attempts to decipher them  smile

Photographer

Phil Edelstein

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

is tog a photographer from the "lord of the rings" days?

i've never been called one of those to my face, luckily. models only say it because they know if we shortrned model to "mod" it would still be hip lol

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Veena J wrote:
In any case, I find that it takes me even longer to read abbreviated messages because I have to actually read them out loud in my attempts to decipher them  smile

Me too, and I grew up with the internet.

Mar 10 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

S wrote:

OMG, I so remember those.  We would flag down the cops that patrolled the neighborhood and badger them for as man pogs as possible.  I wonder if those will make it to the "I love Toys" show I've been watching lately on VH1?

LOL, man pogs were so in then, remember the 'slammers'?  man, i had a set that looked like ninja stars. LOL

Mar 10 06 12:41 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

sorry had to butt in here...but again more people caring about spelling of words...how about how  unprofessional that some photographers and model use sexual references on this site....havent heard a thread about tht...yea there are a lot of beautiful people on this site...but there are a lot of sexual references about boobies asses arms legs...etc....so if you guys think that not spelling a whole word out is unprofessional WOW ....something is definetly wrong here

Mar 10 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

got me excited, I thought you were offering 'rub and tug'. Is it ' rob and tog'  not sure which?

Mar 10 06 12:44 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
LOL, man pogs were so in then, remember the 'slammers'?  man, i had a set that looked like ninja stars. LOL

I had some that the back were like tire tracks and they were solid metal.  But that was my game when I was a bit older.  When I was young though, you couldn't get me off the damn Sit N Spin.

Now, that was off topic, bad, Thuy Anh, bad!  You almost made me hijack my own thread!  LOL

Mar 10 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

KRIS MARTIN 2

Dallas, Texas, US

WHAT DOES TOG MEAN?

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

The ... uh ... word (and I use the term "word" advisedly) ... "tog" is for people who have difficulty wrapping their minds around words made up of more than one syllable.

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
i hate tog, it reminds me of pogs, you know, those things us 80's babies used to play with a lot. but seriously, i don't see why they can't type out the whole word. of course i type like 98 words per minute.

pogs...i ruled pogs.
i think everyone in my fourth grade class was scared of me. the one game i was good at. because did you get to keep the ones you slammed? i dont remember all that well. i just remember keeping some...or maybe i stole them?
i do remember having those HUGE plastic cases though...man, what happened to all my pogs.

Mar 10 06 12:48 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

kateyourface wrote:

pogs...i ruled pogs.
i think everyone in my fourth grade class was scared of me. the one game i was good at. because did you get to keep the ones you slammed? i dont remember all that well. i just remember keeping some...or maybe i stole them?
i do remember having those HUGE plastic cases though...man, what happened to all my pogs.

No, they started all face down and you had to try to flip them face up with your slammer.  If you did, you got to keep them.  I totally remember I NEVER played with my prized ones.  big_smile

Now, back on topic!  big_smile

Mar 10 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Sheesh!  It's just an abbreviation.  Just like some use "mod" for model.  Seriously not that big a deal.  It is a tad time consuming to type P H O T O G R A P H E R every single time you want to mention one.  I doubt anyone "says" tog in spoken/verbalized conversation.

i will now use the word "meat" as a reference to models in any further written communication.

Mar 10 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

tog is used by those migrating from myspace;

no comments on the IQ level of those wonderful people!

Mar 10 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

CristinaLex wrote:
sorry had to butt in here...but again more people caring about spelling of words...how about how  unprofessional that some photographers and model use sexual references on this site....havent heard a thread about tht...yea there are a lot of beautiful people on this site...but there are a lot of sexual references about boobies asses arms legs...etc....so if you guys think that not spelling a whole word out is unprofessional WOW ....something is definetly wrong here

yes, but at least in sexual references that i make, i spell out the full word...
PENIS, VAGINA, BOOBS, ASS, JUNK IN THE TRUNK, etc...

Mar 10 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Kristin Anne wrote:
yes, it's really irritating.

welcome back....... meat.

Mar 10 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Cyberhawk Studios

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

KMK,
tog is internet speak for Photographer.
It's just a word man, get over it.
some people get their panties in a wad over the smallest thing.

Mar 10 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

Model

_kate

New York, New York, US

S wrote:
No, they started all face down and you had to try to flip them face up with your slammer.  If you did, you got to keep them.  I totally remember I NEVER played with my prized ones.  big_smile

Now, back on topic!  big_smile

i jumped on the pog bandwagon because i didnt know what a tog was to begin with.  :x
my bad.
thanks for the lesson in pogs though! hahaha

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:
yes, but at least in sexual references that i make, i spell out the full word...
PENIS, VAGINA, BOOBS, ASS, JUNK IN THE TRUNK, etc...

I only say b(o)(o)bies when I'm trying to attract GWC.  smile

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

kateyourface wrote:

i jumped on the pog bandwagon because i didnt know what a tog was to begin with.  :x
my bad.

Hahaha.  Its okay.  I still love your work anyway. smile

Mar 10 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

spyro2122 wrote:
I like photog I put that cause I am too lazy to type out the whole thing even though I am only missing like six leters.....man I am lazy! LOL

same here... i use photog all the time.  But other photographers don't like "tog" so i don't use it.  I try to be respectful of peoples' feelings... especially when communicating with "meat" (models).

Mar 10 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Yeah, that one extra second to type "Photographer" must be excrutiating. My deepest sympathies go out to you and your fingers for having to type out the extra N I N E letters just then.

Mar 10 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've always despised it. It really is a title and should be used as such.

Mar 10 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

Not a fan of "tog"

Mar 10 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Mi no comprende this "tog" word tee hee

I think it sounds funny. Written and spoken. Heard one aspiring model say it live. I laughed and looked at her funny. Was at a casting call.

Some folks are just to lazy or scared they will type  it out wrongly.

Either way the world has gotten to lazy and relaxed  lol

Mar 10 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Let's see...

TOG..

An abbreviation of the word photographer. Mosy likely a natural result of the internet and the onset of text messaging in the world of digital media today. Much like LOL, LMAO...etc....

There is a new vocabulary on the horizen. Like it or not it is the future. Many words once considered slang have fo8nd their ways into the dictionary because society has embrced them and made them common place. The use of the internet and text messages will also usher in and new for of communication as well as vocabulary or vocab. :-)

Unprofessional? I doubt my use of the term TOG will affect my F-stop settings or cause my strobes to cease working. Nor do I think it will cause me to lose clients.

But hey, I'm just a crazy nukka..what do I know...LMAO...werd....

Mar 10 06 01:48 pm Link