Forums > General Industry > I won't pose nude but...........

Photographer

LightWorks Photography

Venice, Florida, US

Okay minor soapbox rant comming up. Why do I keep getting models that email me wanting to work with me or profiles from OMP that clearly state "I will not do any nude or implied nude photos" And then there emails and profiles are covered with full nude or partial nude images? Isn't that kind of like running a car for sale ad for a Ford when it is really a Chevy? So my question is if you don't do it why promote it and how did you get the pics in the first place? Okay sorry about that I will get off the rant soapbox now.
Eric

Mar 03 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Palm Coast Photography wrote:
Okay minor soapbox rant comming up. Why do I keep getting models that email me wanting to work with me or profiles from OMP that clearly state "I will not do any nude or implied nude photos" And then there emails and profiles are covered with full nude or partial nude images? Isn't that kind of like running a car for sale ad for a Ford when it is really a Chevy? So my question is if you don't do it why promote it and how did you get the pics in the first place? Okay sorry about that I will get off the rant soapbox now.
Eric

Well, they could have done nudes in the past but stopped and haven't updated their images yet. Or, some models do nudes under certain conditions, but say they don't, so that they don't feel obligated to do nudes in a particular shoot.  My experience is that half the models who say "no nudes" mean it, and the other half will do nudes under certain circumstances, e.g., maybe the 3d shoot but not the first.  Like not kissing on the first date.  :-)

Mar 03 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Prophoto

Grayling, Michigan, US

That really bugs me too. There was a new posting on omp tonight that said absolutely no nude or partial nude, but every one of her photos was her naked on the couch with her hands covering her "bits and pieces".

Photographer

Dalmar

Miami, Florida, US

Eric

They mean:  ANY LONGER.  Just because they once did doesn't mean they always will.  Also, they get bombarded with requests for nothing but nudes...and everyone wants a little variety in their book.

Photographer

Joe Paul Studios

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

They mean "I'll pose nude when I want to, but not with you."

Mar 03 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Joe Paul Studios wrote:

LOL.  I said the same thing but took many more words to do it.

Mar 03 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Just hire them for the same style of "non-nude" work that is in their portfolio.

lol

Mar 03 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

These are usually the type of models that are not marketable in the commercial, lifestyle or fashion markets. The only thing they have of some value to a photographer are their nude bodies. Since they know that, they charge to see the goods. So when they say no nude it's usually reserved for paying GWC's. I am beginning to see this as a form of prostitution.

* please note actual art models you pose for schools, workshops and artist are excluded. I am referring to the net models who are charging $150 to 300 per hour. *

Mar 03 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

This is a common misunderstanding.  "I don't do nudes" is just Womanese for "I want to confuse you because I can and cause you to perpetuate the longest standing frustration facing mankind (getting a woman to shed her clothing)."

Plenty of other men don't understand this particular dialect of Womanese either.  And we have a ton of forum threads on the subject as proof...

Mar 03 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
This is a common misunderstanding.  "I don't do nudes" is just Womanese for "I want to confuse you because I can and cause you to perpetuate and the longest standing frustration facing mankind (getting a woman to shed her clothing)."

Plenty of other men don't understand this particular dialect of Womanese either.  And we have a ton of forum threads on the subject as proof...

It took me most my life to learn the little Womanese I know.  I'm so naive!  My instinct is to assume everyone means what their words say.  It's a difficult language to learn.

Mar 03 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

I think its more of a search engine issue. If they list nudes, then it shows up on the search radar screen. It gives them a method of filtering first then once they feel secure, they may pose nude. They just do not feel comfortbale advertising it so easily..

its just a thought??

HokNok

Mar 03 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

LightWorks Photography

Venice, Florida, US

I am going to have to brush up on the womanese. :-) I shoot more non nudes then I do nudes but I have a hell of a time when I am going to shoot nudes of saying lets see this naked woman will not get naked but the other naked woman will get naked. I think I am going to shoot pet rocks instead of people.... okay, I could not really do that I would be bored in a week.
The OMP listing with the girl covering a few parts is the one that started my rant. Thank you all for tolerating my moment.
Eric

Mar 03 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

The trick is not to care.  And after the first couple hundred nudes, it really doesn't matter much anymore.  I usually don't even ask anymore.  If they want to take their clothes off, they will... and many do.

Mar 03 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

theres a hilarious section in men r from mars/women are from venus where the author runs down a)what she says, b)what she actually means, and c)what a guy hears.
check it out 4 a good laff

Mar 04 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Christopher N.

Troy, Michigan, US

Heck, considering there are actually at least five types of 'nude', you might be better off just not bothering carrying the email conversation any futher.

I've found that typically those nudes were taken by photographers they were comfortable with and/or are included just to make their profile appear more marketable and (yep, here comes that buzzword) "edgy."

As was already mentioned you might actually get a chance to do nudes with that model....but you'll have to earn your merit badge* first.

(*of being a "decent guy" to work with or having the cash required to get her to take her top off....)

Mar 04 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

Personally, I have found in my limited experience that all the models I have worked with were willing to do nudes because I didn't ask them to get nude.  I simply asked them what they were interested in doing with me and where the line was.  As they checked out my work and we talked they became willing to take nude photos.

I also have worked with a minor who asked if I would do nudes for her, I told her and her mother not until she was 18.  I worked with on lady who has strech marks so badly I recommended she avoid doing any nudes and limit the bikini work as well.

So in most cases I think it depends on how you present yourself and respect the person your working with.

Mar 04 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

IMHO almost all women want to pose nude at some point. When the time is right and they are with the right photographer... someone they trust, makes them feel sexy, and makes them feel comfortable at the same time... then they make the call. What photog in their right mind is going to say "no", if a gorgeous model says "would you mind taking a few nudes for my port?"  But I don't blame models for posting that they don't pose nude as a preemptive measure.

Mar 04 06 01:20 am Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

Prophoto wrote:
That really bugs me too. There was a new posting on OMP tonight that said absolutely no nude or partial nude, but every one of her photos was her naked on the couch with her hands covering her "bits and pieces".

I think it's a little strange that this really bugs you.  Why do you care? Find another model who wants to work with you.

Mar 04 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Keyronn wrote:
What photog in their right mind is going to say "no", if a gorgeous model says "would you mind taking a few nudes for my port?"

I personally know one that do fashion, portraits and so on, but won't do any nudes even if paid and with a really gorgeous model yikes

Mar 04 06 02:19 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

The internet is a funny place isn't it?  LOL smile

Mar 04 06 02:24 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
The internet is a funny place isn't it?  LOL smile

"Korean and Italian Model here to collaborate with talented individuals. If you would like to work with me please email me your concept. I am only interested in high fashion, editorial, and commercial work.

Please do not inquire about nude projects!"

Do you do nudes?

Mar 04 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Intermission

San Francisco, California, US

Keyronn wrote:
IMHO almost all women want to pose nude at some point. When the time is right and they are with the right photographer... someone they trust, makes them feel sexy, and makes them feel comfortable at the same time... then they make the call. What photog in their right mind is going to say "no", if a gorgeous model says "would you mind taking a few nudes for my port?"  But I don't blame models for posting that they don't pose nude as a preemptive measure.

I agree, I have had girls with the 'No Nude' sign posing nude for me without me even asking them twice. They said can I get a picture like that one in your port? Then I would say 'but she is naked...' but then of course the model knows that.

I have heard one thing from all my models, 'Shankha, your eyes tell me that you are professional' I don't know what that means but it works for me.

Thanks

Mar 04 06 02:47 am Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Vatican City, Holy See, Vatican City

Eric

Very simple. They will do nude, but not for free with you. You have to pay.

Mar 04 06 02:52 am Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I'd say,

a) They might do some nudes during a shoot, but don't want to be contacted for that type of projects,

or

b) They'll only do nudes if it's with someone they've already shot with and feel comfortable around,

or

c) They'll do it if you offer enough money...

It doesn't necessarily mean they'll never do any.

Mar 04 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

_Kimberly wrote:
a) They might do some nudes during a shoot, but don't want to be contacted for that type of projects,

or

b) They'll only do nudes if it's with someone they've already shot with and feel comfortable around,

or

c) They'll do it if you offer enough money...

It doesn't necessarily mean they'll never do any.

or

D) You agree to shoot in the nude...

wink its early and Im bored.

Mar 04 06 08:57 am Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

FabioTovar wrote:
or

D) You agree to shoot in the nude...

But the person's profile says they won't do that... smile

Mar 04 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Its false advertising, plain and simple.  If you are no longer comfortable accepting assignments in a certain style or wardrobe restriction- dont include it in your portfolio.  Its misleading and inviting (a) disappointment by your clients/ photographers (b) arguments and (c) your being annoyed at your offers.

Classic bait and switch- the stuff of con artists.

Mar 04 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

RoninGarou wrote:
I personally know one that do fashion, portraits and so on, but won't do any nudes even if paid and with a really gorgeous model yikes

What a looser!

But seriously, what this discussion is really about is this: we get 1 point for naked picture of a model that does nudes but 3 points for one that advertises that she doesn't. The rule is that if a model has a naked picture on her port you loose the bonus points no matter what she says about posing nude.

I hope that clears things up.

Mar 04 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Kristin Anne wrote:
I think it's a little strange that this really bugs you.

The fact that you find it strange that men get frustrated when women say one thing and do the exact opposite [often at the same moment] underscores the fundamental differences between men and women.  I hope you remember your  statement the next time you feel that men don't take what you say seriously or "don't listen." 

...and now back to your regularly scheduled model/photographer bicker-fest.

Mar 04 06 10:55 am Link

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Joe Paul Studios wrote:

LOL - That sounds like the better statement.

Mar 04 06 10:58 am Link

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Joe Paul Studios wrote:

LOL - That sounds like the better statement.

Mar 04 06 10:59 am Link

Model

Alita

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I have a port on OMP and don't list that I do nudes.  The reason being that co workers found that site and I had to take that down in fear of losing my "day job".  That is why I use a psudonym for my ports that have nude shots.

Mar 04 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

jeff s

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

The fact that you find it strange that men get frustrated when women say one thing and do the exact opposite [often at the same moment] underscores the fundamental differences between men and women.  I hope you remember your  statement the next time you feel that men don't take what you say seriously or "don't listen." 

...and now back to your regularly scheduled model/photographer bicker-fest.

Very well put, it bothers us because you are showing the world something you won't do, so why show it. Do fashion only photographers put all nude images up and have a model contact them and the photog says I only shoot fashion. I can understand having a diverse "book" although in my opinion most of the so called models on here are blowing smoke when they talk about a "book" but keep those images in your "book" don't put them for the whole world to see. If you do put them up then I don't understand the problem of not doing them it seems they didn't have a problem then!!!!

Mar 04 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

jeff s

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Michaela wrote:
I have a port on OMP and don't list that I do nudes.  The reason being that co workers found that site and I had to take that down in fear of losing my "day job".  That is why I use a psudonym for my ports that have nude shots.

Very understandable and i will say I think alot of these girls are using their real names which I don't think is correct unless you are using an agency to book.I have also seen a couple of model ports with phone #s why? do they feel the need for someone to track them down even easier.

Mar 04 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Michael Rothman

Oak Park, Illinois, US

Two things.  One is that a Model who says NO nudes yet posts images with out clothes may just be showing be showing what all the parts look like in case we are looking for a certain body type/shape.   Your car dealer doesn't have all the colors on the show room floor but you know what the car will look like.

It really does come down to comfort level and TRUST.  When you tell a Model you want nudes standing on the traffic island on Main Street at 5 PM Friday evening.  They might not feel too COMFORTABLE.  LOL   (If any Models are, contact me.)  LMAO

I have NEVER brought up nudes in the prelim discussions of what a Model wants for her portfolio, and have never told a Model, "Ok lets shoot some nudes now."   They know my work and think 'IF she/they shot nude with him, I can trust him to shoot nudes with me.' The clothes come off.   

I sometimes get 'I love your work but won't do nudes.'  I tell them thats fine and no is NO.    Sometimes they change their minds as we shoot.

Mar 04 06 11:39 am Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

When you say their portfolio's have nude images are they implied in a sense that they are yet have their bits obscured say by a hand or hair or full out nippage and ass crack?

Mar 04 06 11:48 am Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I hope you remember your  statement the next time you feel that men don't take what you say seriously or "don't listen."

I don't have a problem being taken seriously or listened to by men and don't recall ever saying I did, so I'm not sure how your statement is relevant to this argument.  Allow me to expand on my original post: I find the agression/indignance that some photographers have exhibited when I have declined nude assignments to be a bit scary.  The last person that I would want to shoot me nude is someone angry about me saying "no", for obvious reasons.

Mar 04 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:
Just hire them for the same style of "non-nude" work that is in their portfolio.

That's good!

Mar 04 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Kristin Anne wrote:

I don't have a problem being taken seriously or listened to by men and don't recall ever saying I did, so I'm not sure how your statement is relevant to this argument.  Allow me to expand on my original post: I find the agression/indignance that some photographers have exhibited when I have declined nude assignments to be a bit scary.  The last person that I would want to shoot me nude is someone angry about me saying "no", for obvious reasons.

seriously. i don't see what's so hard to understand about this.
just because someone does one thing on one occasion with one person doesn't mean she will just interchange you in a new situation.
and yeah, the frustration in your rant IS pretty telling. why be so aggressive about this? is it REALLY that important to you to get to see this one girl naked alone with you in your studio?

Mar 04 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Kristin Anne wrote:
I think it's a little strange that this really bugs you.  Why do you care? Find another model who wants to work with you.

Perhaps because the time was taken to browse ports of people who had images like the ones this photographer wanted to make.

In advertising it's called "Bait & Switch".

Mar 04 06 03:03 pm Link