Forums > General Industry > Why don't models ever want to.....

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Malchow Photography wrote:
Thanks for the laugh, but this is (at least to me) a very important, if genrealized question. It isn't about sex, or your sexual escapades...I want to know why so many if not most models feel that they don't have to pay for anything...

MY OPINION is that there exists in the model's mindset a STRIP CLUB MENTALITY

This is what happens when MEN pay money in clubs to look at women, but not touch.
I will NEVER understand this concept. Also the idea that now runs in all forums of American life, "the something for nothing" concept. Hard work, struggle, effort, "paying your dues" does not exist in the "instant generation","the me generation", the Polaroid and now the digital generation.

This problem for photographers would disappear in 1 week IF the men would STOP being so desperate to see some T & A.

Oliver Cole

Mar 02 06 07:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

if I can't afford to get better because some people choose to not pay me or have arrogent attitudes like some, and won't work with me, because they are too snobbish and spoiled to, or because they forgot where they came from and how it was getting there...  with out people paying for the work and services that photographers provide... how can we as photographers improve or equipment, education and experience?

People putting money in your pocket has nothing to do with you improving your skill, that's on you.  Same goes for stylists, makeup artists like myself, etc.

Mar 02 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

They don't want to pay you because they believe that what they bring to the shoot is just as inportant as what you bring.

Everyone values themselves and wants to receive compensation for that value, either images for their book or cash.

As a photographer, your equipment costs are an investment in your business and are tax deductable, the same way a models makeup, clothing and shoes are her investment.

I've shot lots of people TFP or CD, but I also don't have a problem with paying a model
for her time if it will help me learn something. I've had clients pay me , but never a model. I just can't see that as a lucrative business outlook, but maybe you will prove me wrong.

Mar 02 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Oliver Cole wrote:
This problem for photographers would disappear in 1 week IF the men would STOP being so desperate to see some T & A.

Oliver Cole

Huh, I photographed other things for years before women. I photographed:

Men
Children
Products
Buildings
Plants
Scenics
Cars
Trucks
Rocks
Fish
Birds
Cats
Dogs
The moon
Bugs
Water
Clouds
Sunsets
Sand
Dead Leaves

Mar 02 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
They do.  They just don't pay you.

Respectfully submitted,
Don

How true!  LOL

Mar 02 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Oliver Cole wrote:

This is what happens when MEN pay money in clubs to look at women, but not touch.
I will NEVER understand this concept. Also the idea that now runs in all forums of American life, "the something for nothing" concept. Hard work, struggle, effort, "paying your dues" does not exist in the "instant generation","the me generation", the Polaroid and now the digital generation.

Oliver Cole

Here is a wise man Thank you Mr. Cole.

Mar 02 06 07:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Alternatively, if you're admittedly working to improve your skill, shouldn't you have to pay your dues too?

Mar 02 06 07:38 pm Link

Model

Stephanie 15not allowed

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

this is so stupid.. models do pay for stuff..

they do have to pay the gas to get where they are going, clothing, make up, hair products, ... and plus
some photographers CHARGE WAY TO MUCH!

i do TFP and i get lots of photographers asking to work with me.. sometimes i turn them down..

anyone wanna do tfp? wink

Mar 02 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

How do you know who has paid for work and who has not?
I have in fact paid for portfolio development and may in the future pay again if I so desire.
I have also paid for my domain and web sites.
I have also been paid as a PHOTOGRAPHER people out there pay for good quality work.
If you are not getting those jobs you should improve your craft with practice.
Charging customers so you can practice your craft.....
yea right.

Mar 02 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Juani_Vel

Angier, North Carolina, US

... pay a photographer to get work done?

Its always "I'll do TFP/TFCD" or "paid work only." I don't get it? Especially from the newbies.

Now granted, there are (a few, very few) very exceptional and naturally talented, models out there, but looks aren't everything.

What do you have to offer? Can you do your own make-up, with photograhy or movie make-up... can you style your hair the way the photog wants it... do you know how to pose without direction... do you make your own wardrobe?

what makes a model so special that he or she think they are all of that, that they don't have to (literally) pay their dues?

I can give you my own personal answer/response for this.... as a newbie. smile

So far I have come across only 2 photographers in my area that I would ever consider paying for their services.  I consider their work absolutely amazing, and have honestly spent hours going through their portfolios and staring in utter amazement at their wonderful creations smile  But... both of them mainly shoot more traditional, "standard" models in high fashion and glamour.  I am neither a high fashion nor a glamour model.  I have neither the height nor the "body" for either one.  I am the breadwinner in a one-income family, which means we live on a very tight budget.  I can not afford to pay for what I guess one would consider the very "best" available to me just yet (the 2 photogs I mentioned earlier) and I refuse to pay for anything I only consider "pretty good"... especially if it is a photographer who is inexperienced with working with big girls.

Now, in a much less serious manner, I also have to say that I think this argument goes both ways.  Since I can do my own hair & make-up if I need to, and have no problem providing my own wardrobe... please tell me....

Why should I, as a new model, be expected to pay a photographer who probably doesn't have much experience posing & directing, much less capturing the beauty and essense of beautiful, fat bodies like mine?  Why should I pay a photographer who doesn't know what kind of hair & make-up would work best on me with my skin tone for our shoot?  Why should I pay a photographer who doesn't know the least bit about the right pattern and color combinations that are most flattering to my figure & body type when seen through the lense of a camera? 

And in an even more direct way of countering the OP...

Why do so many photographer's pages say "I am not offering tfp/tfcd right now... contact me for my pricing & packages!"?  Now granted, there are a few (very few) very exceptional and naturally talented, photographers out there, but pointing and clicking aren't everything.  What makes a photographer so special that he or she thinks that there is no need to (literally) pay their dues?

(LoL.)

I hope that you all can see the lighthearted manner with which I am typing this reply.  My only intent is to say to everyone, especially the OP, that you can never point a finger at someone else without having three of your other fingers pointing directly back at you.  So, let's just live & let live... in the grand scheme of things, there's a place for everybody.  And obviously someone somewhere is paying somebody for something.... otherwise there would be no money cycling & recycling itself throughout this industry. smile

Mar 02 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Red Sky Photography wrote:
I just can't see that as a lucrative business outlook, but maybe you will prove me wrong.

I hope to be able to, someday. I have had models pay me, to get their portfolios done, and have made some good money from time to time doing it.

And though there may be those that think my work is not good enough, it's jut not good enough for them.

I have had clients go one to do good and great things, and I helped them get their start.  So regardless of what other people might think of me, or my work, I love what I do, and my clients (models or otherwise) are very happy with it too. I never said, or presumed to be great, but in time I will get better.

Mar 02 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

... if I can't afford to get better because some people choose to not pay me or have arrogent attitudes like some, and won't work with me, because they are too snobbish and spoiled to, or because they forgot where they came from and how it was getting there...  with out people paying for the work and services that photographers provide... how can we as photographers improve or equipment, education and experience?

Learning photography is largely about learning to see, make use of, and manipulate light.  As my mentor keeps reminding me (because I, like you, am lazy and would prefer to practice on models), the learning of our craft is not dependent upon having a pretty girl there willing to be photographed.  Shoot a little bit every day in different lighting conditions, until you can take the most kick-ass picture of your dirty laundry, or your cat, or raindrops on your car hood.  Models are not obligated to pay you in order for you to practice.  Just pick up your camera and go do it!  Then when you do have a pretty girl in front of your lens, you’ll create images with her that will knock her socks off.

As to the rest of the above comment, you’re joking, right?  Did you really just say that any model who won’t pay you to shoot her is “arrogant,â€? “snobbish,â€? and “spoiled?â€?  Are you for real?  Maybe photographers sometimes pay their dues by working collaboratively, taking pictures of their potted plants, and doing a fucking happy dance anytime an interesting model comes along who is kind enough to let an amateur photographer take pictures of them.

Christ, and people wonder why there’s an antagonistic relationship between photographers and models.

Mar 02 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Here is a wise man Thank you Mr. Cole.

I disagree. To equate that photographers that offer tfp, or test shoots, do so
because they are "so desperate to see some T & A" is a insulting statement.

I know of some excellent photographers that do not shoot "T & A" shots that
offer TFP (test) shoots.
And to find out which photographers offer test/tfp shoots, click on any of the
better models portfolios and see how many actually paid a photographer
for any of their shoots.
Until your work is better than theirs, why would a model pay ?

Robert

Mar 02 06 07:54 pm Link

Model

Katelyn Stalker

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Thank you hourglass... this is more what I am looking for... But you still didn't answer the original question..why don't models want to pay for anything?

You as a model, you work and go to school. So I can understand that there are financial obligations... but even so, if you have few extra dollars, why couldn't you pay a photographer for helping you out with your folio, compcard images, or other images you use to market yourself?

I am also college student, the reason why we can't pay you is because, like hourglass said, we don't have the money. Would you not be completely offended if I told you all I could give you is $10/hr? I think that you would. Modeling and photography work best when TFP is done. In most cases, half the photographers that contact me want to do TFP and I have no problem with what. However, I have found that half of them are just guys with cameras that want to shoot with me. I mean i'm nothing special, but I do have more experience than most girls, bring my own wardrobe, do hair, and makeup, therefor, if an amatuer photographers comes to me and tells me he will pay me then thats the way it should be bc he's using the model as a learning tool. Some photographers are very stingy about this whole TFP thing. If you don't like it... get rid of ur mm, it's as simple as that!

Mar 02 06 07:59 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

'cause I don't have to tongue

Mar 02 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
As to the rest of the above comment, you’re joking, right?  Did you really just say that any model who won’t pay you to shoot her is “arrogant,â€? “snobbish,â€? and “spoiled?â€?  Are you for real?  Maybe photographers sometimes pay their dues by working collaboratively, taking pictures of their potted plants, and doing a fucking happy dance anytime an interesting model comes along who is kind enough to let an amateur photographer take pictures of them.

Christ, and people wonder why there’s an antagonistic relationship between photographers and models.

Ok, to clarify... those particular remarks were intended for a specific person who replied earlier in this thread.

But to anwer your question, No. That is not what I just said. If that is how you took it, then let me explain ( to you and who ever else might have misunderstood)what the intent of it was ... For those that have established themselves, and are seasoned models, that now look down on, or condiscend to people or who belittle others, and have gotten arrogent, spoiled, and snobbish, because they are used to a certain lifestyle or quality of work, etc... because the yet unestablished or up-and-coming photogbrapher has not yet attaind a level that thay have... they have forgotten where they came from, the humble begginnings, etc. it has nothing to do with them paying a photographer it is just the looking down the nose attitude they have about not working with someone to help bolster thier career, give them a hand up, or help them to get more established or better expereinced.

Now as I stated before, I never presumed to be great, or astounding, or astonishing, but when I work with people who help me to be creative, rather than put me down, it inspires me to explore new ideas, projects, skills, techniques, etc.

Mar 02 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

adrienne of Zswana wrote:
'cause I don't have to tongue

And I don't blame ya !

Robert

Mar 02 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

David Moyle wrote :Huh, I photographed other things for years before women. I photographed: Bugs, dead leaves.

I want to see some of those David. lol

Mar 02 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

They do.  They just don't pay you.

Respectfully submitted,
Don

lol

Supply and demand...

smile

Mar 02 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

ok, so let me ask you this... if I can't afford to get better because some people choose to not pay me or have arrogent attitudes like some, and won't work with me, because they are too snobbish and spoiled to, or because they forgot where they came from and how it was getting there...  with out people paying for the work and services that photographers provide... how can we as photographers improve or equipment, education and experience?

If you can't afford to get better to the point where models are willing to pay you...then you need to do something else to earn $$$.

Also, even if you were AWESOME but expect to earn a living shooting models...good luck.  Most models that I know are always broke.... smile

And the ones that aren't can choose to work with almost any photographer they desire....

As a photographer...how can YOU improve?  Well, books/college/field experience can help improve your photograpic skills/composition.  Business/marketing/accounting classes can help you understand how a business functions.  Spend the money in those areas FIRST to learn what you need to learn.

After you have the basics, HIRE models who can improve your book.  Your pictures are your "advertising" so if all you present are "TFP" or "non-model" quality images of so called "models" then what do you expect?

Just as some models HIRE photographers who can help them produce work that can be used to MARKET them for PAID work...so too should photographers PAY MODELS who can help them produce work that can be used to MARKET the photographer for PAID work....

But remember my little statement above...if by PAID WORK you think that you will make a living from photographing models only...dream on.  PAID WORK means work for clients who will actually be able to afford to pay what your photography is worth...

Regards,

Denoy

Mar 02 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Let's turn the question around.

Why don't photographers ever want to.....pay a model?

Its always "I'll do TFP/TFCD" or "paid work only." I don't get it? Especially from the newbies.

Now granted, there are (a few, very few) very exceptional and naturally talented, photographers out there, but they're in the minority.

What do you have to offer? Do you provide make-up,   style the model's hair the way the image wants it... do you know how to direct poses .. do you provide a wardrobe?

what makes a photographer so special that he or she think they are all of that, that they don't have to (literally) pay their dues?

You as a photographer, you work and go to school. So I can understand that there are financial obligations... but even so, if you have few extra dollars, why couldn't you pay a model for helping you out with your folio, compcard images, or other images you use to market yourself?

Do you see a parallel?

Mar 02 06 08:56 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Oliver Cole wrote:

Oliver Cole

Oh Jesus, I can not tell you, as a model, how OFFENDED I am at this statement...

I must edit: what about the photographers who expect shit for free?? I have seen them. Their port is decent at best, but they are here in the forums complaining about flakes, or models asking for money, etc.  This is bullshit. I'm sick of it. Put your money or talent where your mouth is, or shut up...to people in general, not just the OP or Oliver.

Mar 02 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Katelyn Stalker wrote:
I am also college student, the reason why we can't pay you is because, like hourglass said, we don't have the money. Would you not be completely offended if I told you all I could give you is $10/hr? I think that you would. Modeling and photography work best when TFP is done. In most cases, half the photographers that contact me want to do TFP and I have no problem with what. However, I have found that half of them are just guys with cameras that want to shoot with me. I mean i'm nothing special, but I do have more experience than most girls, bring my own wardrobe, do hair, and makeup, therefor, if an amatuer photographers comes to me and tells me he will pay me then thats the way it should be bc he's using the model as a learning tool. Some photographers are very stingy about this whole TFP thing. If you don't like it... get rid of ur mm, it's as simple as that!

Katelyn,

I'd work with you for $10/hour...possibly even FREE. smile

You have a "marketable" look for the work that I do so getting "PAID" by you would not be a pre-requisite if a mutually beneficial trade deal could be arranged....

But it is interesting to note that many of those who DON'T need to pay to "attract" photographers to work with them are more often than not, WILLING to pay if they feel the resulting pictures would be worth it...

Just food for thought...

- Denoy

Mar 02 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Angel Tara wrote:
[Oliver Cole]MY OPINION is that there exists in the model's mindset a STRIP CLUB MENTALITY

Oliver Cole[]
Oh Jesus, I can not tell you, as a model, how OFFENDED I am at this statement...

Angel,

I think this statement shows more about Oliver's mentality than what he claims is the mentality of the models.

- Denoy

Mar 02 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

[edit] ok, so let me ask you this... if I can't afford to get better because some people choose to not pay me or have arrogent attitudes like some, and won't work with me, because they are too snobbish and spoiled to, or because they forgot where they came from and how it was getting there...  with out people paying for the work and services that photographers provide... how can we as photographers improve or equipment, education and experience?

"can't afford to get better"?

If no subject or models were available for trade purposes, this might make sense. It clearly doesn't apply in the real world. Perhaps you won't find A-level agency models willing to work with you, but if your work isn't at that level already*, it will make less of a difference.

If a model feels--rightly or not--that your work will not benefit him/her, and the experience isn't worth the effort, they will want some compensation for their time. Just as do photographers who don't feel they would benefit in some way from a session.

Asking such an overgeneralized set of questions doesn't help anyone. "Why don't models ever want to...... pay a photographer to get work done? is fallacious, as it happens all the time. You yourself said models have paid you.

For those that have established themselves, and are seasoned models, that now look down on, or condiscend to people or who belittle others, and have gotten arrogent, spoiled, and snobbish, because they are used to a certain lifestyle or quality of work, etc... because the yet unestablished or up-and-coming photogbrapher has not yet attaind a level that thay have... they have forgotten where they came from, the humble begginnings, etc. it has nothing to do with them paying a photographer it is just the looking down the nose attitude they have about not working with someone to help bolster thier career, give them a hand up, or help them to get more established or better expereinced.

This is the less insulting explanation?

DeBoer Photography wrote:
But it is interesting to note that many of those who DON'T need to pay to "attract" photographers to work with them are more often than not, WILLING to pay if they feel the resulting pictures would be worth it...

Key element: "If they feel the resulting pictures would be worth it".

* (I haven't looked at your portfolio; this is not a comment on the quality of your work.)

Mar 02 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

MY GOD!! i can't believe the posts here!

I hate to offend, or be arrogant, but just cause you've spend 2k on a prosumer cam and you can balance the light does not make you a photographer....thus girls might not want to pay you! I get paid all the time by girls, they ask me all the time....and really 600 bucks for a few hours from a newbie AIN't worth it!

Mike

Mar 02 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

MY GOD!! i can't believe the posts here!

I hate to offend, or be arrogant, but just cause you've spend 2k on a prosumer cam and you can balance the light does not make you a photographer....thus girls might not want to pay you! I get paid all the time by girls, they ask me all the time....and really 600 bucks for a few hours from a newbie AIN't worth it!

Mike

Mar 02 06 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Angel Tara wrote:

I must edit: what about the photographers who expect shit for free?? I have seen them. Their port is decent at best, but they are here in the forums complaining about flakes, or models asking for money, etc.  This is bullshit. I'm sick of it. Put your money or talent where your mouth is, or shut up...to people in general, not just the OP or Oliver.

Well said.

Robert

Mar 02 06 09:27 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Where is Brian with his chart for the 54564856486465 thread about this topic????

Mar 02 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mausey Studio

Garland, Texas, US

Well, I use TFP or CD as an excuse to fine tune my craft.  If I do a TFCD I can have a bit of fun and expiement.  When a model pays then we have to make everything perfect.  I like to practice sometimes so TFCD is perfect.  Everyone has to pay their dues, so why not help them out, and yourself at the same time.  If it weren't for TFCD, I would have not found my passion.

Mar 02 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mausey Studio

Garland, Texas, US

Well, I use TFP or CD as an excuse to fine tune my craft.  If I do a TFCD I can have a bit of fun and expiement.  When a model pays then we have to make everything perfect.  I like to practice sometimes so TFCD is perfect.  Everyone has to pay their dues, so why not help them out, and yourself at the same time.  If it weren't for TFCD, I would have not found my passion.

Mar 02 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

because, then they aren't MODELS, but clients, customers or suckers.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Mar 02 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Angel Tara wrote:

Is this what they mean by ragin cajin?  Glad I never said anything mean to you.
For ninety-nine percent of these postings you can use the addage "put up or shut up".  I'm in your corner.

Mar 02 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

Angel Tara wrote:

my thoughts exactly....I wouldn't even want a pic of myself for free from some of these wannabies! plus who the F**K compares a model to a stripper.....god I hate amateurs!

Mar 02 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
David Moyle wrote :Huh, I photographed other things for years before women. I photographed: Bugs, dead leaves.

I want to see some of those David. lol

Unfortunately, they're on slides, burried in boxes from my last move.

I do have some recent plant, nature, and automobile stuff though.

Mar 02 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Now granted, there are (a few, very few) very exceptional and naturally talented, models out there, but looks aren't everything.

What do you have to offer? Can you do your own make-up, with photograhy or movie make-up... can you style your hair the way the photog wants it... do you know how to pose without direction... do you make your own wardrobe?

what makes a model so special that he or she think they are all of that, that they don't have to (literally) pay their dues?

If a photographer is consistently turning out work of a commerciasl quality or work suitable for use in mainstream model portfolios, then he/she should probably be paid. Here is an on line mainstream agency as an example, http://www.arlenewilson.com/main.asp. If a photographer's work is not of this level of quality, then why on earth should a model pay him?

Mar 02 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There are only about 2 photographers I would be willing to pay for... but yet I'm not jumping to do it.. why you ask?

I'm 20 years old... while I have a full time job and I am well paid... I have a mortgage, a car payment and etc. to pay for. Would I pay for sub-par work? Absolutely not...

I feel that both the model and the photographer bring a lot to a shoot... my best work so far has been TFCD.

Mar 02 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

If a model has something I want, but I don't have the something she wants, I pay her.  If I have something she wants but she doesn't have something I want, she pays me.  If she has something I want and I have something she wants, we TFP each other (sounds kinda dirty, but it's really not).

Why is that so difficult for so many photographers to understand?

And if you really believe she's trying to get something for nothing, why do you care at all?  Photographing "nothing" would be boring, even if she did pay for it.

Mar 02 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Oh god here we go again..............everybody wants to get paid but no one has any money!  LOL

Mar 02 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

OK EVERYONE, HANG ON!!!! 

This is not about my work. or about models paying me.

This is about..why, in general, models don't want to pay, choose not to, or refuse to. Nothing more nothing less...  why do models always say "tfp or pay me!" ?

Mar 02 06 10:40 pm Link