Forums > General Industry > Photographers with out a phone number ???

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

If you are a photographer and have a portfolio here why would you not have you phone number listed .
How can you be taken seriously if you don't ?

Feb 25 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

To avoid those 12.00am to 6.00am calls from online weirdo"s would be my number one reason,  having received more than one  in the past, i require no more , ever. Any models require my phone number  i usually give it out early and on request, along with a bunch of refs as well. [ alternately its in the phonebook ]

Feb 25 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
to avoid those 12.00am to 6.00am calls from online weirdo"s would be my number one reason, any models require mine i usually give it out early and on request., along with a bunch of refs as well.

LOL----I just turn off the phone and let the machine take the late calls . The weird calls I get are from people I know smile

Feb 25 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

My phone number is on all of my websites, so I see no reason to add it here. I never intended to use MM as my only means of contact. A phone call inquiry would NOT be productive for me, unless they are calling to ask me my rates for headshots or portfolio work. I certainly can't judge whether or not I'd be interested in shooting them over the phone! If they message me here, I can at least click the link to browse their images - then determine if I'm interested in shooting. Most of the people here seem content with initial contacts via Tags or Messages. If I message someone, I'll include a phone number (as well as links to the rest of my portfolios) if I want/expect a reply from them. Most people in my area would find me from one of my primary websites or my local ASMP site, not from here.

Wm

Feb 25 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
to avoid those 12.00am to 6.00am calls from online weirdo"s would be my number one reason, any models require mine i usually give it out early and on request., along with a bunch of refs as well.

You can always give out your cell phone # (if you have one - most people do ) and turn it off after midnight

Feb 25 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Because I find email/MM messages a more convenient form of communication, for numerous reasons.

I don't worry about being taken seriously.

Oscar Wilde wrote:
London is too full of fogs and serious people. Whether the fogs produce the serious people or whether the serious people produce the fogs, I don’t know.

Feb 25 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I give my Cell Number to anyone who asks freely.  I just don't post it so every ignoramus in the world can call me.

Making money is not my reason for being here on MM...

None of my Clients would go to MM to look for a Photog...

Feb 25 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

I have mine posted..but even when I tell Models to call me directly ASAP they still don't call, they send a reply email, so I guess some people like phones and some emails...I am a phone person, so I rather a call, specially when timming/urgency is needed...but I hate Text Messages, they cost too much  lol plus I don't have time to type back or read them if I am on the road..so I rather a call.

XP

Feb 25 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

J. Welborn wrote:
If you are a photographer and have a portfolio here why would you not have you phone number listed .

I won't list my phone number on this site, because I feel that most of what you need to know about me you can find on this page, or my website. When a model or client contacts me, or I contact them, the first thing I do is give them my number.

I have no problem giving it to a model/photographer who requests it, and my number is listed on my business cards.

If photography were my full-time gig, then that would be a different thing altogether.

Feb 25 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

www.johnjebbia.com. it's right at the top of the page.

I decided a couple years ago that I had nothing to to hide. That's when I started listing my real name, phone number, and mailing address.

I get weirdo's from time to time, but it's really not an issue. I just hang up on their ass.

Feb 25 06 11:54 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I would not hold it against a photog for not posting their phone number.  Three is so much data-mining going on the internet that it's become a major annoyance for everyone.  It is just as easy to PM a phone number if needed.

Feb 25 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Hamza wrote:
I give my Cell Number to anyone who asks freely.  I just don't post it so every ignoramus in the world can call me.

Making money is not my reason for being here on MM...

None of my Clients would go to MM to look for a Photog...

I could've just used this instead of posting my own. LOL

Feb 26 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I don't list my phone number, but also will give it to anyone that asks.  I do make a few email addresses available, but in a manner that prevents spidering them, which keeps the level ofjunk mail down.  If anyone really needs to know, they can always do a "whois" and get my phone number of record and leave a message there.  I check that about once a month.

I also don't publish a street address - that's just asking for a burglary.

-Don

Feb 26 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

don't you think a better way to determine one's seriousness is on the quality of their work, not whether they can list a series of numbers on their bio?

Feb 26 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

J. Welborn wrote:

I give mine to models I am interested in working with. My phone is used for more than just photography so I cant turn it off (well I can but I get yelled at by people). And I dont want to be put on goofball "call" lists by broadcasting my number.

Feb 26 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I also don't publish a street address - that's just asking for a burglary.

-Don

My mailing address is a PO Box. in another city wink

Feb 26 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

i have my cell on here, i rarely get calls. even when i give models my # they just send me theirs saying "call me at ___ time"

Feb 26 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

John Jebbia wrote:

My mailing address is a PO Box. in another city wink

Mine is a P.O. Box about a mile from here.  And I still get junk mail that originated from my website registration address.

-Don

Feb 26 06 12:29 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I have a toll free number and can somply empty my email to get rid of excess calls and it doesn't ring-all online so I can check it from anywhere that I travel from my laptop and wireless card or cell.

I also wait until I think the model is serious before I give out my cell-too many that I've had "Yeah!  I want to do it!" convos that just dissapear for me to want people walking around with my number because after a bit I no longer want to work with them-my time and projects may not be important to them but they are to me and once I fill a project with someone serious to do it the ones that lolly gagged lose..

Feb 26 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

John Jebbia wrote:
www.johnjebbia.com. it's right at the top of the page.

I decided a couple years ago that I had nothing to to hide. That's when I started listing my real name, phone number, and mailing address.

I get weirdo's from time to time, but it's really not an issue. I just hang up on their ass.

I have nothing to hide. My phone number is on my website but not in the photography section (its in Software Engr section). I merely prefer to be emailed before called, mianly due to me rarely answering my phone unless I know the number or am expecting a call. As for name I wish more people in this industry would use there real name. It free advertising on everything you do, silly screen name that you think sound cool is such a thing of the 90's. This is the 21 century and here we want people to know who you are.

Martin Coates IV

URL: www.MartinCoatesIV.com

Email: [email protected]

YIM: MartinCoatesIV

MSN: MartinCoatesIV

see a pattern yet?

Feb 26 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Mine is a P.O. Box about a mile from here.  And I still get junk mail that originated from my website registration address.

-Don

Junk mail doesn't bother me. In fact, I just got a really good credit card offer. I like credit cards! I'm buying a new soft box with the offer I got as a result of junk mail.

Feb 26 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

M E M

Woodford, Virginia, US

Last time i listed it, the number os "sales" calls suddenly skyrocketed. Now I give it when requested or when I make contact whith an individual.

Feb 26 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

MartinCoatesIV wrote:

I have nothing to hide. My phone number is on my website but not in the photography section (its in Software Engr section). I merely prefer to be emailed before called, mianly due to me rarely answering my phone unless I know the number or am expecting a call. As for name I wish more people in this industry would use there real name. It free advertising on everything you do, silly screen name that you think sound cool is such a thing of the 90's. This is the 21 century and here we want people to know who you are.

Martin Coates IV

URL: www.MartinCoatesIV.com

Email: [email protected]

YIM: MartinCoatesIV

MSN: MartinCoatesIV

see a pattern yet?

yeah, you're in love with your name.

Feb 26 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

MEMasonPhotography wrote:
Last time i listed it, the number os "sales" calls suddenly skyrocketed. Now I give it when requested or when I make contact whith an individual.

But sales calls are so much fun.... check out a CD by Tom Mabe: "Revenge on the Telemarketers" for ideas on how you can make sales calls something you look forward to.

http://www.tommabe.com/

Feb 26 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Random kooks. I ordinarily include my number in the first or second response of MM message exchange. As to professionalism, I don't use this site for professional work; I use it to torment people in shoutbox.

Feb 26 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

My first Cell was purchased as a gift this past Christmas... Since it is helpful to connect when on the road... it was a good decision.

Feb 26 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

John Pringle wrote:
My first Cell was purchased as a gift this past Christmas... Since it is helpful to connect when on the road... it was a good decision.

I got my first cell phone about 4 yrs ago. I've since ditched the land line. It was a good decision too.

Feb 26 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

I carry a company cell and forward everything to it.  Because I've got to be available 7/24 I do have to answer it at all hours.  Another reason it's not posted on the web.  Once I no longer have to carry the phone, I won't have a telephone again, unless it's VOIP or something.

-Don

Feb 26 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

PJQ Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Bluntly - Why the hell would I post my phone number on a website that any Tom, Dick and Harry can view?

Feb 26 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

yeah, you're in love with your name.

WOOT! For a minute, I thought it was another Theda zinger.

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I carry a company cell and forward everything to it.  Because I've got to be available 7/24 I do have to answer it at all hours.  Another reason it's not posted on the web.  Once I no longer have to carry the phone, I won't have a telephone again, unless it's VOIP or something.

-Don

This is my favorite poster

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

~Krista~ wrote:

No bitch! he's mine! I am going to call him right now and ask why he has been talking to you!

Feb 26 06 01:43 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

J. Welborn wrote:

I hate to say this, but if this is your 'professional' website, why would you be taken seriously? Seriously, not only as a model, but as a human being, I don't put my phone number on ANYTHING....if someone wants to correspond and speak with me, I use a series of filters to keep anyone who does not know me from contacting me...in todays world, I would think most people would do the same...photographers as well.

Feb 26 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

Its only a good idea to put your number down if its an actual business line that is seperate from your cel or home number.  that way you keep the wierdoes restricted to an answering service and not worry about random unwanted calls.

Feb 26 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

~Krista~ wrote:

Lapis wrote:
No bitch! he's mine! I am going to call him right now and ask why he has been talking to you!

Girl(s), girl(s).  Another retrograde action?

-D

Feb 26 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Lapis wrote:

For gods sake you two, can't you ever get along?

Feb 26 06 02:00 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

~Krista~ wrote:

Girl(s), girl(s).  Another retrograde action?

-D

I have had to live/love/etc. you scorpionic types (not that I know any other artists/people remotely like you) with larger type egos of the easily bruised variety a long time...and I STILL STICK MY METAPHORICAL FOOT IN MY MOUTH...amazing but true.

Feb 26 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Because I no longer shoot commercially... well, hardly ever, anyway;

Because I prefer to do initial contact via e-mail; the way someone writes tells me a lot about them;

Because I give out my phone number fairly early in the typical e-mail exchange;

Because I'm not that hard to find anyway;

Because I live on the west coast and deal with people nationwide, and I've had way too many people from the east coast call at 6:00am PST.

Feb 26 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

J. Welborn wrote:

Should the same be thought about models, MUA's & stylists ???

Anybody (member of MM or not) can access these pages & can get your info. I give my phone # to any person that I need to have contact w/...

Paul

Feb 26 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

J. Welborn wrote:

Hey, I have my phone number and address on every page of my website and even have driving directions and pictures of my studio and still no one takes me seriously!  LOL!

Sometimes I don't know whether to go get another beer or just throw myself in front of a bus.

*looks out the window*

Lucky for me there are no buses at the moment...

It's true I don't have a phone number listed here on MM, but I don't think that's the specific reason no one takes me seriously....

*runs off to fix profile*

EDIT:  I lied.  I do have my phone number on my profile.  Shit.  I'm losin' my mind....

Feb 26 06 02:27 pm Link