Forums > General Industry > Cocky Models on MM

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

I have recently gotten into a lil heated confrontation with another model on MM...seems kinda cocky to me in all the ways possible....

So opinion time....let me know your aspects...whats the difference between someone being COCKY and someone with CONFIDENCE...

Funny thing is ...someone told me to get the chip off my shoulder ..but when i looked nothing was there smile

Feb 20 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

well i was always of the opinion that male models can be cocky, while female models can get cocky

Feb 20 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:
So opinion time....let me know your aspects...whats the difference between someone being COCKY and someone with CONFIDENCE...

How the person on the other end interprets your actions/conversation.

If someone thinks you are "cocky" and you weren't trying to be, just apologize for coming across as "cocky" and move on. smile

Feb 20 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Just me, but a cocky individual has to tell you how wonderful they are... A confident person knows they good at what they do and lets their work speak for them, not their mouth..

Or, cocky is about bringing people down to their level, confidence is helping people rise to your level...

Feb 20 06 10:10 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

DeBoer Photography wrote:
If someone thinks you are "cocky" and you weren't trying to be, just apologize for coming across as "cocky" and move on. smile

In a sense of saying something that i felt about and typing it in a way that i talk...home gurl comes in and tried to act classy as if she is better than every normal person tha types on MM...basically saying "i have no class because thats not how professional models talk or act.." hello wench ...we are in a forum people have more hostile personalities than i do...it really ticked me off...

Feb 20 06 10:11 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

Chili wrote:
well i was always of the opinion that male models can be cocky, while female models can get cocky

Damn, you beat me to the punchline... oh well... *smirk*... now where are those cocky models at... i mean, um... *cough*...

Feb 20 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Girls get Bitchy
Guys get Cocky.

So it was when my Mama
told me bout Confident Birds and Bees.

E L

Feb 20 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Those with confidence demonstrate their abilities, those who are cocky run their mouths about what they perceive as their abilities.

Feb 20 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Since you asked all of us. . .I'll add my two cents and pick up my dollar in change (y'all will get that later on. . .don't let it bug you right now).

From what you said here:

CristinaLex wrote:
home gurl comes in and tried to act classy as if she is better than every normal person tha types on MM...basically saying "i have no class because thats not how professional models talk or act.." hello wench ...we are in a forum people have more hostile personalities than i do...it really ticked me off...

It seems like she may be somewhat of a snob.  Not necessarily "cocky". . .unless you are equating the two which happen to be two different things.  What she said in my opinion, in essence made you feel like she was calling you low class. . .which is snobbish.  If she had said something like "you ain't shit" or "your work ain't half as good as mine so you're no competition for me" or something like that. . .that would have been cocky.

So just go outside and beat Buffy down so you'll feel better.  I'll sell tickets.

Feb 20 06 11:09 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

San Diego, California, US

Confidence to me its not letting people know you are confident, but for them to see it without you even needing to say a word.

Keeping a casual confident silence to you will you will make you more interesting and want people to know more about you. The "I know I am confident but dont need to bring it up" silence is a lot more intimidating. :-)

Feb 20 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Cassone

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

REMEMBER!  We are on the computer - unless emoticons ;>) are being used or lingo like LMAO, then what is interpreted as being cocky (MMMMM - I always found that to be a good thing - tee hee - see what I mean ` depending on who that is of course)) can really be confidence.  Just a thought.

Best wishes
Cassone

Feb 20 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Bill Cosby said something to the effect of "Little dogs will yap non-stop trying to convince you they are tough.....Big dogs just go "grrrrrrrrr".."

Feb 20 06 11:30 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

smile

Feb 20 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

for me, cocky is a model that is starting out, has no tearsheets in their book and is giving me attitude or wanting to 'charge me" for a photoshoot (yeah this happens here)

Confident is a model who wants photos and is willing to work hard and together with the photographer to work on a concept or a shoot, they no what they want, no what their book is missing and isn't just talking about it, but actually doing something about it.

Feb 21 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

To me... there's a BIG difference between being a 'confident' model and a 'cocky' model... I've dealt with 100's of models... believe me when I tell you that I can DEFINITELY see the difference.  If a model comes off with a major tude and is overly cocky to me... SHE'S HISTORY!  I hire models for our events that are friendly, sincere, punctual, unique, cordial, dependable, talented and genuine... all traits that DONT jive with being cocky... wink

Feb 21 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

angryphotoman

Syracuse, New York, US

A cocky person on the Internet..... SAY It  AIN'T SOOOOOO! Sorry... but we find cocky people everywhere we go. Sometimes cocky works in a persons advantage, sometimes it hurts... it's more of... knowing of when cockiness is appropriate. Alright... all of this talk of... well.... nevermind.... smile

Sincerely and respectfully,
Peter J. Foster

Feb 21 06 12:54 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

im cocky but in a good way.

Feb 21 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Confidence is attractive.  Psychosis is more attractive.  Cockiness as you've defined it is ugly.

-Don

Feb 21 06 01:19 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

CristinaLex wrote:
I have recently gotten into a lil heated confrontation with another model on MM...seems kinda cocky to me in all the ways possible....

Funny thing is ...someone told me to get the chip off my shoulder ..but when i looked nothing was there smile

You see THIS underneath is arrogant in my book..not cocky.
There is a difference.
Cocky is fine..arrogance is not
One may find you working ..the other will pretty much get spoken about and it wont.

Look ms..boogie... dont get beside yourself and get it ...I have more class than u do in ur whole malnutritioned body...have a nice nite pe@ce

Feb 21 06 02:40 am Link

Model

Stacey Leigh1985

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Aspects...

Cocky: Bragging about how many shoots a model's done, ranting non-stop about personal beauty and that he/she should get the highest pay for shoots (regardless of experience), not showing up for photo shoots (motive behind this, not exactly sure, but still a cocky move nonetheless), models that show up to shoots (heard this from plenty of photographers) and appearing as though they ate about 20 pans of lasagna over the past few days, that sort of thing, basically not being at your best or not being presentable.

Confident:  Being humble about shoots, discussing pros and cons, being helpful to other models with questions, understanding one's beauty and yet not rubbing it in everyone's face, understanding that a large majority of models don't make a lot of money in the beginning, but willing to work for little if any money at all to get somewhere in the industry, and being presentable for every shoot, as well as actually showing up, and/or calling at least 24 hours prior to let the photographer know they cannot make it, and then of course, simply having a nice personality, rather than someone who comes off as uncaring and unconcerned with anyone, save for themselves.

I guess that's just my opinion, I may or may not be right, but it's just what I think.  smile

Have a lovely day! smile

Stacey Leigh~

Feb 21 06 02:52 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Confidence is attractive.  Psychosis is more attractive.  Cockiness as you've defined it is ugly.

-Don

Yes, I love you too....in that unhealthy stalkerish kind of way....oh, this is about COCKY models, not CREEPY models...

Feb 21 06 02:56 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

if you got the work, pix, agent, bookings, etc. to back up what you have to say....it's confidence.

Feb 21 06 03:15 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Dear Cristina;

I don't think that this post is quite fair to her.

Don't forget, you were the first one becoming offensive and continued it throughout the post, even your last post in that thread is very condescending.

You have to remember, "keeping it real" doesn't mean that you have to drop all social conventions and just type as you want, expecting others not to react.

Toodles

Udo

Feb 21 06 05:11 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:
Dear Cristina;

Don't forget, you were the first one becoming offensive and continued it throughout the post, even your last post in that thread is very condescending.

You have to remember, "keeping it real" doesn't mean that you have to drop all social conventions and just type as you want, expecting others not to react.

Toodles

Udo

yes, and to those of you who want to know, she is talking about me and referring to this thread:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=31001

Who is trying to get an ego stroke here, Christina?  Seems to me you are just trying to start trouble.  I really agree with Udo in that you need to get that chip off your shoulder.  Go ahead, brush it off...it'll make you feel a whole lot better smile

I don't really think that I need to comment here. If anyone so choses, take a look at the thread..I think that speaks enough of what I don't have to say here, oh yea, and:

To quote the great Cristina Lex:

CristinaLex wrote:
get a life mama...

p.s. before you start trying to get people to talk about me without them knowing, maybe you should let them know what is really going on, k? wink

Feb 21 06 06:20 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Maybe the OP would have a better handle on who was cocky if they had met said models/photographers in person first.

Whining in another forum doesn't change anything.
If you don't like someones attitude, just walk away from them, don't keep pointing fingers it makes you look bad.

Feb 21 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tawny is totally correct.

Feb 21 06 09:39 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

Los Angeles, California, US

But great PR for the two of you!!!

MEOW!!! HISS!!! CAT FIGHT!!! (i'll throw the chairs)

crazyisabela youre cute

Feb 21 06 09:42 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

-Don

counterintelligence w grandkids in new jersey and old tank parts are magnetic.

Feb 21 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i'm really disappointed. i thought this was going to be a sex related thread.

Feb 21 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:
Just me, but a cocky individual has to tell you how wonderful they are... A confident person knows they good at what they do and lets their work speak for them, not their mouth..

Or, cocky is about bringing people down to their level, confidence is helping people rise to your level...

Well said!!!

Feb 21 06 09:44 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

Model

scarletdiva

Lapis wrote:

Yes, I love you too....in that unhealthy stalkerish kind of way....oh, this is about COCKY models, not CREEPY models...

come on over and do the twist, boys n girls
-"the hijacker!"

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:
Dear Cristina;

Toodles

Udo

the dangers of keep'n it real

http://www.goyk.com/video.asp?path=2333

Feb 21 06 09:45 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Oh gosh there are loads of characters like that on here we have:
cocky
bitchy
opinionated
annoying
shy
stupid
confident
outragous
thats just to name a few..

maybe she did not mean it in the way you took it but then again i did not see the conversation so i don't know how i would take it. Probably with a pinch of salt.

remember hun no one really knows you here and all could be a front to hide their inner own insecurities.
You never know it could be somebody completly different to what you see before you someone who has been bullied at school and likes to moan about other people because deep down secretly she wishes to have your class style body looks everything about and the way you talk...

don't worry about it and be you hehehe

**salutes**

xx shelly

Feb 21 06 09:47 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Bruce Caines wrote:
i'm really disappointed. i thought this was going to be a sex related thread.

*Dashed visions of Bruce being the Enlightened One...*

~~ walks sadly away ~~

Feb 21 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Mayanlee wrote:
*Dashed visions of Bruce being the Enlightened One...*

~~ walks sadly away ~~

lmao

i do know how to get out of the matrix though...

Feb 21 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT...*runs to get camcorder*

Feb 21 06 09:51 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

shelly1982 wrote:
Oh gosh there are loads of characters like that on here we have:
cocky
bitchy
opinionated
annoying
shy
stupid
confident
outragous
thats just to name a few..

i'll be "stupid"!  :-)

Feb 21 06 09:52 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

hahaha nahh hun you are outragous!!

Feb 21 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:

the dangers of keep'n it real

http://www.goyk.com/video.asp?path=2333

I saw that one a long time ago... it's really funny... love it... thanks for the link!

Feb 21 06 10:01 am Link