Forums > General Industry > 80/hr for partial nude?

Model

Sogno Dolce

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

is charging 80/hour for partial nudity (breasts exposed only) too much?

Feb 19 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally, I only charge half that...

Feb 19 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

It would depend on if a client would want to pay that. Personally, I wouldn't because I can't afford rates like that and I can find many models willing to do nudes for TFP or for quite a bit less.

-P-

Feb 19 06 03:42 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:

No.

Feb 19 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Holy schmokes, $80/hr for b(o)(o)bies? Crazy...

Feb 19 06 03:43 pm Link

Model

Sogno Dolce

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I thought 80 was good....I had someone tell me the standard rate for nude was like 125 or 150 or something.  I don't know..I'm so confused.

Feb 19 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:

Nope, that is a good rate.  Wanna come to California to shoot?  I'll pay you that.

Feb 19 06 03:48 pm Link

Model

Sogno Dolce

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

Nope, that is a good rate.  Wanna come to California to shoot?  I'll pay you that.

I would love to but I can't afford a plane ticket out that way right now and gas is ridiculously high.  maybe you should come to atlanta :p

Feb 19 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:
I thought 80 was good....I had someone tell me the standard rate for nude was like 125 or 150 or something.  I don't know..I'm so confused.

You'll get many different answers for it.  There are models who charge more than you do.  There are models who charge more than $150.  There are also a significant number of models who do not charge.  Find a rate that you feel comfortable with, that doesn't price you out of a booking and go from there.

Feb 19 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Plastercasting

Wichita, Kansas, US

For topless, the rate I pay is 40 and for nude its 50-75 and have yet to have anyone tell me that was out of the normal..but then of course with the sculptures I do...nobody gets to see a face so that decreases a models stress about being naked a bit.

Feb 19 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Looks like yes and no. Part of it will depend on your market. Part of it will depend on how often you want to do work like that. Part of it will depend on your client.

Feb 19 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

What a model say they "charge" as opposed to what they will "accept" are two different things.

If you can get $80/hour, more power to you.  Are you that good? If you find yourself not working than you need to reconsider.

Years ago I did only tfp, or a token payment.

Today I do some tfcd, some paid-since I am doing nudes.  I usually make a general offer and say I am looking to achieve (style) and am willing to pay ($).  And have worked with several models who came to me and accepted the work at that.  I would easily have had to pay them 6-7 times more had I paid them what they say they "charge".

It's the marketplace.  Are you worth it?  Are you more worth it than others who
accept less?  Would you rather earn $80 for one hour work on one day, or earn $200 for 5 hours work on one day?

Feb 19 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

personally I don't pay anyone unless they're butt nekkid

and I prefer not even to do that, getting as much nude TFP as I can get my hands on

figuratively speaking

Feb 19 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I don't think its unreasonable.. there will be people who pay it... and others who won't.  If I were you I wouldn't rule out the possibility of not charging if approached by a really good Photograper tho.

Feb 19 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

It all depends on:

What your expectations are of the project?

Who the model is?

How desperate, or not you are for that particular model.

How desperate you are to get the exact look you are going for.

Everything has a value, its just a matter of what you and the Model decide is a good value for services.

M

Feb 19 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Well, now you've got all the photographers going to your profile checking to see if you have "$80 an hour boobs".... and likely some models as well checking yours out. 

The market place sets the prices but you can ask anything you desire in compensation - hell you could even charge by the pound if you want.  That would make for an interesting barter/ monetary system, wouldn't it?

If you can get $80, go for it.  If you can't, then pick and choose who gets the discount at your whim.  They are, after all, your boobs - what's the point of having them if you don't control their destiny. ;-)

Feb 19 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

LCB Photography

Burbank, California, US

Personally, I never pay models for a shoot - nude or otherwise. Unless it is a paid (commeercial) shoot that I am hired by a client for - then the model's rate depends on what the client's budget is. And her rate can go for anywhere from nothing (for the shoot) to hundreds or more. So, depending on what the shoot is for - if u can get $80.00 an hour - more power to u yikes)

Feb 19 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

LCB Photography

Burbank, California, US

Personally, I never pay models for a shoot - nude or otherwise. Unless it is a paid (commercial) shoot that I am hired by a client for - then the model's rate depends on what the client's budget is. And her rate can go for anywhere from nothing (for the shoot) to hundreds or more. So, depending on what the shoot is for - if u can get $80.00 an hour - more power to u yikes)

Feb 19 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:

It would behoove you to charge according to usage of the images instead of how much skin you're showing.

Feb 19 06 06:24 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Dreams To Keep wrote:
Well, now you've got all the photographers going to your profile checking to see if you have "$80 an hour boobs".... and likely some models as well checking yours out.

Damn!  I've been caught.  wink

Seriously though, I'm so new to this whole universe I haven't the slightest idea of what the "norm" is concerning this.  Although, and please understand that this is just my opinion, I find it very curious that you are commanding fees and aren't considering yourself to be an experienced model.  From what your credits say, you do have some experience but it would seem to me, again just my feeble novice opinion, that experienced models command set fees for work.  I assumed that everyone else either accepted or declined "offers" in the payment department.  Maybe I'm wrong though.  I dunno.

I guess if you can get away with charging that then you get $80 an hour for your boobs.  The proof would be in the puddin.

Feb 19 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

I happily pay $80 or even more for the right model. But for that price I want experience, professionalism and creative input. Fortunately for me I have found a couple who easily qualify

Feb 19 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

theda wrote:
It would behoove you to charge according to usage of the images instead of how much skin you're showing.

Valid point! Even the local modeling agencies (SAG/AFTRA agencies) are charging usage rates now for models. An editorial shoot for a local magazine nets pocket change, but an  ad for HP or Sony will net the model a couple of thousand/day. (and that's for non-nude!)  A shoot to be displayed in a Fine Art gallery is worth much less that an image which will be an 80' billboard in Times Square. KNOW WHERE YOUR IMAGES WILL BE GOING!

Glad to "see" ya back Theda!
Wm

Feb 19 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:

For someone who, from her portfolio, looks to be just starting out & doesn't have a lot of good shots to show her work off, and nothing showcasing the relative worth of the breasts in question?
I'd say yes, it is too much.

Feb 19 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

I usually pay my nude models  $4.25 plus tax/hr ...

Feb 19 06 06:45 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

I agree w/SLE... it all depends on your experience in different genres.

Feb 19 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Kemara wrote:
I agree w/SLE... it all depends on your experience in different genres.

Yep.  I'll pay models if I have the need for them & feel their skills & looks justify it.  In the OP's case, I don't feel she's achieved the point that would justify the sum she's asking.  It's possible she has, but I am not seeing it in the work offered.

Feb 19 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

CBs Photography

Ontario, California, US

A lot of things come into play when hiring a topless or nude model.  The market (law of supply and demand) in your area.  What the photographer wants the model for and if the model wants copies of the photos too. How the model looks topless / nude.  Some people actually look better with clothes on or body parts covered (implied nudes).  You have set a rate that you want, now if there is no business, lower your rate and get a few topless / nude sessions under your belt, and add the pictures to your port.  When photographers actually get to see what they are paying for, then you will probably be able to increase your price to market value.

Feb 19 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

But believe me, he's WORTH MUCH MORE!

Feb 19 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Maybe I'm not the best person to ask, since I've never had any difficulty at all getting nude TFP/CD.  But I'd say it depends on 1) your local market, and 2) how much you  want to work.  There are women in college towns working steadily, several days per week, for art classes at $20-$30/hr.  Others work less often for a $100/hr or more.  It depends on what the local market will bear, and on how effectively you market yourself.

Feb 19 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Start by charging what you think you are worth (within reason) and then, alter your rates with demand... It's that simple.
Good luck!

Feb 19 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Given that your portfolio lacks any type of images that show you topless, I would find it difficult to believe that a competent and legit photographer is offering you $80/hour for this kind of work.....  And, if he is not legit.....Be careful, be very careful......

Bottom line, if this is an area of modeling that you want to get into then you should find a photographer that has a style that you like and get a couple of topless/figure/glamour images in your port. 

Dave

Feb 19 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

depends whose breasts they are? maybe for Tera Patricks, i'd pay that

Feb 19 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

The best advice that I can give you is that the "marketplace" will determine if $80/hour is a good price for you. If you get a good amount of requests at that price, it's a fair price. If you get lots of offers, you need to raise it and if you get few requests, you need to lower it.

Feb 19 06 07:54 pm Link

Model

Sogno Dolce

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Yep.  I'll pay models if I have the need for them & feel their skills & looks justify it.  In the OP's case, I don't feel she's achieved the point that would justify the sum she's asking.  It's possible she has, but I am not seeing it in the work offered.

well if somebody wants to see my tits, then they can pay to see them.  I don't charge for regular fashion or lingerie shoots. but if someone asked me to pose topless then I sure as hell aren't doing it for free!

Feb 19 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kilili

Los Gatos, California, US

There are no "standard rates" for models, or for photographers, for that manner.  Might as well ask what's the standard rate for dinner out.

Within an expertise range, geographic area, and intent of use, you might find some guidelines, but it will still vary widely.

T H Taylor pretty well summed it up.  If your rate for this is $80, and no one, or almost no one is willing to pay it, then it's "too much".

From my perspective, your portfolio, on MM at least, provides no justification for such a rate.  I would not work with someone that did not demonstrate the capacity to deliver on the agreement.

On the other hand, some people have money to burn, and agendas do vary.

Ken

Feb 19 06 07:58 pm Link

Model

Andon

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I charge HALF that for my implied stuff,  Then again, i'm sure a lot of it has to do with what market you're in.  Plus, I get a LOT more paid gigs with lower rates, which equals out to more buisness overall.
Search the forum for 'buisness 101' and it will pull up a GREAT thread on rates and buisness principles.

Feb 19 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

LimbSys Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

First of all, this is the finniest thing I've read all day. Maybe even this week.

Second of all, I agree with the poster who says price according to usage. On that same subject, never rule out TFP and look at the job, not the skin. Maybe a $20 boob to ndulge someone's creative notions will net you a $500 an hour shoot down the road.

I don't know for sure; but I'd say go with your instincts about any given job/photographer. I've passed on many a model who thought a rate schedule had to be gospel. It doesn't.

Feb 19 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

LimbSys Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

First of all, this is the funniest thing I've read all day. Maybe even this week.

Second of all, I agree with the poster who says price according to usage. On that same subject, never rule out TFP and look at the job, not the skin. Maybe a $20 boob to ndulge someone's creative notions will net you a $500 an hour shoot down the road.

I don't know for sure; but I'd say go with your instincts about any given job/photographer. I've passed on many a model who thought a rate schedule had to be gospel. It doesn't.

Feb 19 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:
well if somebody wants to see my tits, then they can pay to see them.  I don't charge for regular fashion or lingerie shoots. but if someone asked me to pose topless then I sure as hell aren't doing it for free!

Point being that people aren't likely to be willing to pay for them if they don't know their worth. *shrug*
I'm not asking to shoot them for free (or to shoot them at all), just saying if I wanted to I'd want to know it was worth my money.
More to the point, as Ken notes and I said earlier, your current work doesn't demonstrate worth at that level AND a lot of us have run in to women who say they'll pose, we book time, pay, and then they show up & freal.  You've not demonstrated ability to carry out the contracts.
For those of us who're here & serious, it's not about seeing your boobs free, either.  I have hundreds of photos of boobs, and can see plenty more online.  It's simply about knowing you can & will do the job and can provide the look we need.

Feb 19 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Sogno Dolce wrote:

You can charge -- or ask -- anything you want.  It's up to the market to decide if they want to pay it.  I wouldn't pay those rates -- $80 or $125, or $225, or any other pie-in-the-sky rate.  If you can get that ,fine.  if someone want's to pay you for 1 hour or two hours, and you have travel and other time, then I guess it would average out.

Our shoots don't work that way, and most of our models are doing TFP at the moment pending future paid work based on performance, not an hourly rate.

FWIW: I don't use any models that charge for nude, but do TFP for free, or similar, or who have nude images in their portfolios, but don't do nudes.   

So, again, you can ask, or "charge" any rate you want.  Looking at your portfolio, and apparant range of experience, $20/hour for a 3-4 hour session would be in line. You have nothing in your portfolio to demand more than that.  The question is, what will the bulk of customers be willing to pay?

Remember, the more you charge, the fewer jobs/experiences you'll get.  And, the more you charge -- or others get you to charge -- the more jobs left open for them.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

Feb 19 06 08:42 pm Link