Forums > General Industry > Is 17 to young to model lingerie?

Model

Tawny Heath

San Diego, California, US

So, I just turned 17 about 3 weeks ago and I wanted to know if it was appropriate to have tasteful lingerie on my zed card and my portfolio or am I to young? I have one Lingerie picture of me on my picture gallery, and I think it looks tasteful and appropriate for my age...What do you think?

Feb 18 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I see nothing wrong with it as long as you don`t do it in a sleazy way.Others here do have issues with it. Victorias secret  has been known to have runway and catalog models as young as 13-14-15 in the past.

Feb 18 06 04:55 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

Victoria Secret models are amazing!! It would be a dream for me to be able to do that...or Sports Illustrated!! :-)

Feb 18 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

At the age of 17 isn't the answer very simple?
What to both your parents say?????

Feb 18 06 04:58 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

My mom is the one who took the one of me in the red lingerie on my page...so she is fine with it as long as it is tasteful, but she is my mom. She wants what is best for me, and we just arent sure how agents/ casting directors would feel about it.

Feb 18 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 18 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I like the more commercial images you have up.

Feb 18 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

Thank you! I am getting my zeds and portfolio together now and will be looking for a very reputable agent soon.

Feb 18 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Its not a big deal runway models are 16 15 17 and have shown a lot more or less
But local laws are something you should look into unless your in NY lol

Feb 18 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Tawny Heath wrote:
Victoria Secret models are amazing!! It would be a dream for me to be able to do that...or Sports Illustrated!! :-)

I personally think the SI swimsuit issue is cheesy. Aim higher. You are gorgeous, you have a great shape and you deserve better than SI. It is only once a year and they mainly use models who already have a big name.

You have a really nice portfolio. Just start showing it around. If you are ever in the Northern California area I would love to work with you myself.

Feb 18 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 18 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would be comfortable shooting you in the red lingerie. It is a very nice photograph in a very nice portfolio.

As long as the lingerie is opaque, it covers what a bikini would cover, the shots are not sexual and your parents approve, being 17 would be fine with me.

Best wishes to you.

Feb 18 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

DeBoer Photography wrote:
The agency will help you develop into the kind of model they represent.

Shouldn`t she go for agencies which will get her jobs doing the kinds of modeling *she* wants to do?

Feb 18 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

With parental consent, it's entirely appropriate for you to pose in lingerie at 17, Tawny.  Major agencies and clients accept models even younger, for lingerie shots, and you've got a great look for a variety of styles.  Listen and learn, but always stay within YOUR comfort levels, no one else's.

Feb 18 06 05:12 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

William Coleman wrote:
With parental consent, it's entirely appropriate for you to pose in lingerie at 17, Tawny.  Major agencies and clients accept models even younger, for lingerie shots, and you've got a great look for a variety of styles.  Listen and learn, but always stay within YOUR comfort levels, no one else's.

Thank you William I definately do not do anything I am not comfortable with, and my mom is always with me on auditions and photoshoots :-)

Feb 18 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 18 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

No, she should go to an agency that will get her jobs that the clients pay for.

I don`t see why a model would do a shoot she is not interested in just because it pays. I still don`t understand how so many photographers do "anything that pays".

Feb 18 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

People tend to forget that many bikinis show a lot more skin than some lingerie.

If you find bikini shots to be comfortable and appropriate, then lingerie is no different. In fact, some lingerie is even more modest than some bikinis.

Go for it.

Feb 18 06 05:20 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

No, she should go to an agency that will get her jobs that the clients pay for.

She has a nice look and could make it into "mainstream" modeling/catalog work if an agency likes her.  Whether she specializes is between her and her agent.

I'm just making a general suggestion so she doesn't close any potential doors.

Regards,

Denoy

Thank you for you comments. I definately dont want to close any potential doors, and give anybody the wrong impression that I will do things that I am uncomfortable with. I was just wanting diversity in my portfolio, but not look like I was trying to be to grown up to fast, or misrepresent myself. :-)

Feb 18 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 18 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

EMB wrote:
People tend to forget that many bikinis show a lot more skin than some lingerie.

If you find bikini shots to be comfortable and appropriate, then lingerie is no different. In fact, some lingerie is even more modest than some bikinis.

Go for it.

It took me years to realize why many models are more comfortable in  bikinis than in lingerie. Swimwear is for goin out in the sun, swimming, sun bathing,etc.
As apposed to lingerie which is,well, you know why lingerie is worn and why it only stays on her for a few minutes in RL situations.

Feb 18 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

It's called a job and making a living.  And the "anything" that you mention may actually be enjoyable to those involved.

I see what you are saying. I just know I couldn`t shoot just anything that was placed in front of my camera just because it paid.

Feb 18 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

in keeping with the less is more spirit, the answer is 'yes' (you are still too young)

Photographer

Mark-NewStart

Chicago, Illinois, US

The main thing to remember with modeling is never to do anything you're not comfortable with.  Swimsuits & lingerie are fine as long as you know and keep your boundaries.

Photographer

- null -

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

EMB wrote:

Go for it.

It took me years to realize why many models are more comfortable in  bikinis than in lingerie. Swimwear is for goin out in the sun, swimming, sun bathing,etc.
As apposed to lingerie which is,well, you know why lingerie is worn and why it only stays on her for a few minutes in RL situations.

#1 - That's obvious. I can't believe it took you years to figure that out.
#2 - Models aren't smart enough to articulate that. Just tell them it's all the same. They'll believe it and giggle.

Feb 18 06 05:25 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

EMB wrote:

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

EMB wrote:

Go for it.

#2 - Models aren't smart enough to articulate that. Just tell them it's all the same. They'll believe it and giggle.

Actually, not all models just "believe it and giggle" I am comfortable with swimsuit because it is for going out in the sun and havin fun. I go to the beach with my friends all the time and I'm never uncomfortable with it. Lingerie can have a very sexual meaning to it. . So I cant speak for all models, but this model is smart enough to know the difference. I just wanted opinions if I was still to young to model lingerie.

Feb 18 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 18 06 05:30 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

Thank you Denoy. You have given good advice.

Feb 18 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 18 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

EMB wrote:

Be nice,lol. I think like a lot of people think" it covers a lot more than bikinis so hey". It was a female model who actually explained why some models are more comfortable showing a lot in a bikini, but not a little bit in lingerie.

Feb 18 06 05:36 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

Thank you everyone who wrote me e-mails and gave me some advice on this forum.

Feb 18 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

EMB wrote:

Go for it.

I tend to agree with the above that many bikini images show -much- more skin than some lingerie images do.

--->However: there IS the cultural belief that "lingerie" = "intimate", and therefor is always seen as 17-inappropriate.
Such as a woman wearing a bikini on the beach feels perfectly relaxed, but if she were in bra/panty would feel "undressed" ..... even though the bra/panty covered -much- more of her body!

-JMO-

Feb 18 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Tawny Heath wrote:
Thank you! I am getting my zeds and portfolio together now and will be looking for a very reputable agent soon.

That may be a waste of money.  A better agency will probably re-do the whole thing if they like you because they will certainly not like every shot chosen.  Submit, get accepted and let them guide you.  Lingerie is neither a plus or minus unless not done tastefully.  I would however, not recommend you showing lingerie to the agency at the start...unless you know how they define taste or you are intimately familiar with their client base.

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Shouldn`t she go for agencies which will get her jobs doing the kinds of modeling *she* wants to do?

No.  Agencies place models primarily based on client demand and not on what models like.  Upon reaching a degree of success or being placed in several similar campaigns a model can then specialize in very specific areas.

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I don`t see why a model would do a shoot she is not interested in just because it pays. I still don`t understand how so many photographers do "anything that pays".

Because it defines the difference between an occupation and a hobby.

Feb 18 06 05:46 pm Link

Model

Smith

New York, New York, US

I'm your age, and most of my agencies in NY have asked for me to take either swimsuit or lingerie images for my book and comp card. It doesn't really matter if it's swimsuit or lingerie as long as it shows your body. If you do decide to do lingerie pictures, do them with a great photographer who won't make them look trashy.

Feb 18 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

area291 wrote:
Because it defines the difference between an occupation and a hobby.

Being selective makes it a hobby? So, many of the professional models and photographers  on here and elsewhere who make their living from doing the modeling and photography they want to do are just hobbyists? Hmm, interesting.

Feb 18 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Feb 18 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

you are just fine. your images are good and lingerie shots, if similiar to catalog type shots are just fine.
get some more images to round out your portfolio, get an agency and get off the net.

Feb 18 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Hoot

Picayune, Mississippi, US

Tawny Heath wrote:

I would suggest not going to that expense, especially the zed cards. Just make a bunch of 4x6 prints and send them to agencies that are close to you. Put your name, phone number, and stats on the back of each photo. If they're interested, they will contact you. 5 or 6 different photos are enough.

http://www.newmodels.com

If you really want to make a book, that's fine, but your booker will probaly throw out most of the photos that you have in it, and may give you an agency book to use.

Lingerie is fine for your age. What you have is tasteful, and tells them that you're not afraid to shoot it. That's a good message to send. They may or may not want it on your card, but they will probably want you to have an example to put in your book for the appropriate castings. The photos you have on this site will not get you excluded by any booker I've ever dealt with.

Good luck!

Feb 18 06 07:33 pm Link

Model

Tawny Heath

Thanks so much for the advice! :-)

Feb 18 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

yes...tooooooo young!

Feb 18 06 07:38 pm Link