Forums > General Industry > How often have you worked with the same person?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

How many times have you worked with a specific model or photographer?  What is your maximum?

As a photographer, one of my goals when working with a new-to-me model is that I hope that we both are willing & eager to work together again after that first sitting is over.  Most of the time, this is true.

But what about the other end?  For my favorite models, I might work with them as many as 6 or 7 times (over a period of 18 or more months).  But eventually, no matter how terrific the chemistry is, I run out of ideas for that particular model, and we move on.

What are your experiences?

Feb 10 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I try not to go over 3 times when it's "just pics" because I get bored with people quickly.

Feb 10 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

I have worked with a few of my favorites as much as 7 or 8 times as well. But after a while I get the itch to find something or someone new...and unless the model is willing to go all out with total changes in appearances sometimes its not practical to keep working with each other on a consistent basis. I think its better to just take a break from one another and come back with fresh ideas as they come along.

Feb 10 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Only models I've ever shoot more than twice is one's I'm dating.

One is fun, twice is nice and three is boring wink

Feb 10 06 10:31 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:

Wow... I must resemble that remark a lot....

Feb 10 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

One of the models I work with, seems to be able to look very differently. We've worked together 4 times and all the stuff comes out different. She's become a friend of sorts, so as long as she wants to work with me, I'll work with her.

But I wouldn't say they are all that way. Sometimes once is plenty. But for the most part, I'd work with any of them again as long as we came up with something worth the time.

Feb 10 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

MB Photography

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

The most shoots I've done with the same model is 4 and it was for her benefit mostly as she grows as a model,  I'd work with her as many times as she wanted, she's a sweet girl.

But for most of my other models I think twice is my magic number.  three   would be a stretch..

Feb 10 06 11:20 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If counting days I've worked with one 11 times /11 days shooting.
Planning another week possibly two week stretch to shoot again.
Most have been 1 time shoots where we do plan to work together again in the future.

Feb 10 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

visionmedia

Troy, Michigan, US

I shot one model 18 times.

Feb 10 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:

shooting or dating? smile

Feb 10 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Probably no more than 3x's but that's not MY choice. I guess they don't like the work.

Off Subject
I need to find someone in my area that would want to work with me whenever I called, to try new ideas, blah blah blah....

Feb 10 06 11:26 am Link

Model

Xkwizit Poet

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
Off Subject
I need to find someone in my area that would want to work with me whenever I called, to try new ideas, blah blah blah....

Just tell me when...smile

Feb 10 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

C Hansen Photography

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

There are a handful of models that I have shot 4+ times.  But then again the model market here in Yuma, AZ sucks.  So...I head to the Phx/Tempe area to shoot.  And even then it's hard to get models not to flake on me.  Hell...I drive three hours to shoot and she can't catch a bus? (Honest...that was her excuse).

HALO Out

Feb 10 06 11:28 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

I think it depends on how well the model and photographer get along and work together. One may be the other's muse. Location may play a factor in this as well. It would be great to have a local photographer who would just call up to say..hey I'm bored, or I have a new idea, let's try it out. Not saying that every shoot should go in your book...but it surely can't hurt either of you as far as experience and trying new things out.

Feb 10 06 11:29 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

What Corena said.  I have a couple of photographers with whom I have great chemistry, who I'll probably shoot with off and on for a long time to come.  Case in point is James Hickey, MM #13779.  We've shot together twice, and become friends in the intervening months.  Next month we're beginning a project that will have us shooting on a regular basis for an indefinite period of time.

When it's good, the model/photographer relationship is so absolutely GOOD.  I find creative nourishment there.

Feb 10 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

GIRL ART

Midlothian, Illinois, US

I make it a practice to work with any given model that I like as often as I can. Sometimes as much as 10 to 12 time. I never have a shortage of ideas and I find that the ones that will continue to come back I can usually get a better deal with as they know I'm a sure bet.

Another benefit to long term photographer/model relations is that the trust between the two of us grows and makes for much better, more relaxed pictures.

But I do understand the need for change and after a while you indeed need to move on.

Feb 10 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Ideas are easy to come by.  A good model's hard to find.

I've shot Sylwia Krol 5 times, and we have 2-3 more in the near future.

Feb 10 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I dunno I've lost count..it is my nature and desire to work with the same models as much as possible because I believe the model/photographer relationship is a very important thing and key to producing images which have messages beyond the visual.  I may shoot a model 5 times in one year, not see her for 2 or 3 years and then photograph her again.  She's changed, her look has changed but we still have a relationship and a level of trust which will allow us to pick up  from where we left off.

I recently did a session for a model I last photgraphed when she was 16 along with my little brother(who's the same age).  She's now 30 something, working out in shape and looking good.  She wanted some sexy pictures for her husband for valentines day and I needed to add some new pictures  to my glamour portfolio and some things for stock use, so we worked out a mutually benficial deal.

I even have the mothers of some of the woman I photographed in college
wanting me to photograph their children.  Just goes to show that doing the right thing always pays off eventually.

Feb 10 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

I could make books based on one model that's how many times I've worked with the same ones.  The more I work with a model the better I understand how to shoot them best..  and some of them have become very close to me as friends.   xoxo

Feb 10 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Peter J Crowley

Olympia, Washington, US

Feb 10 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Peter J Crowley

Olympia, Washington, US

I like working repeatedly with the same model. I Once worked for over 2 years with a Muse. We worked about once ever two to three weeks. I think the results are amazing. The visual communication was often the only way we spoke. We of course we carried on conversation but often it was unrelated to the emotion of the work we were creating.                                    enjoy pjc
Much of this work can be seen on my site and in the next week or so there will be a gallery devoted to her with words [by both of us] and images detailing the experience.
Any models in SE Ct. or the South shore of RI interested in working this way contact me.

Feb 10 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I've shot with one model 5 times in the past 18 months.  And every time we work, the list of "Things we both want to try" grows.

I just finished my 3rd shoot with Raverchic #40800 and the more we work together and communicate - the better the shots become - She's my current Avatar (from our 3rd shoot).

Since I shoot a lot of outdoor shots and outdoor nudes - I usually feel like the first shoot is like a first date.  You still don't know what it's like to work with somebody.  When the first shoot is over, you should have developed a real sense of trust and mutual respect.  By the second and 3rd shoots - they know you - you know them - they are familiar with your shooting locations (and know a mountain lion won't eat them, lol)

And if everything's right - you will both be developing ideas that will compliment your work.

VintageV

Feb 10 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

The only model I've worked with more than once is my wife, and I've lost track of how many photo shoots we've done over the past few years.

Feb 10 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

If the chemistry is right, I'd shoot the same model every day.
Having said that, let me say that the "right chemistry" means that we communicate almost with out speaking after we have discussed what I'm trying to do. Likewise, I have had several models that call and simply say, "shoot me, I need a jeff fix". Now, I'm OLD, I mean I shot Sherman as the sob left Atlanta, so that's old. The "jeff fix" mainly means that "I need to feel glamourish or sexy and Jeff makes me feel glamourish". I am sure other photographers are similiar. I want the model to feel the mood I'm looking for whether it be sexy, cute, funny, mad, scared, whatever...
So, ok, I've got models that I have shot so many times I wouldnt venture a guess. One used to work down the street and would call me on her cell on the way down the block and simply say "let's shoot something" and we'd shoot for 10-15 minutes then off she'd go back to work..
love the ability to talk without speaking.

Feb 10 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

Miss Rochelle

San Jose, California, US

I work with the photographer more often usually when I like the outcome of the first production. If the photographer makes me feel comfortable and if they seem they have an expertise in what they are doing then I would normally work with the photographer over and over again.

Feb 10 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I usually do TFCD once, and then any shoot after that is for a paid gig that I find for the model.

Feb 10 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Granted, I've not been doing this long but I have models I've worked with several times each.  Each shoot they bring something different to the table.  Each of them I'd be happy to work with as often as they're willing to work with me.  I think if the chemistry is there, you should use it.  It's been my personal experience that working with a model I'm that comfortable with sparks my creativity.

I suppose it's possible for things to get stale, especially if all the images you shoot of one model are essentially the same.  I just haven't had that problem (yet) myself.

Feb 10 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Although the sign of a great photographers portfolio is the usage of many different models, there have been several I've been fortunate enough to work with that bring ALOT to the table, and hundreds of different looks on many different occasions.  There's several I've worked with more than once that are classic examples of what I've mentioned above, and quite a few of them are here on MM.  Checkout my photo page for a preview of their images and MM numbers... they are: Seanna, Lexi, Andrea, Jeska, Wendy, Erika, Carolyn and Elizabeth, to name a few.  If you can book any one of these fine young ladies for less than 3 or 4 hundred dollars... JUMP ON IT... as they are all TRUE Model Mayhem 'supermodels' in my book... wink

Feb 10 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well I tend to shoot the same models over and over.  I go as long as I have something that I want to do with them.

Lynnette 64 days
Sunnie 23 days
Renee 51 days
Cami 31 days
Yulia 10 days with 10 more this year
Jill 17 days
Jacy 45 plus days
Lani 28 days

Just seem my web page.  I have shot most of those models more than once and in different locations around the country.

Feb 10 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I never count, but I'm sure there are models I've shot with easily a dozen times...and would shoot with right now if circumstances permitted.

Feb 10 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

I have one particular photographer I have worked with about 4 times now and each time the shoot seems to evolve. I can't see myself limiting the # of shoots as long as there are fresh ideas between us both!

If the creativity and talent is still there, why limit the amount of times to shoot??

Feb 10 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Okay, then, if you work with a model multiple times, which typically is your best session?  For me, the first sitting with a new-to-me model is a "get acquainted" session.  The second session shakes out the preconceived ideas.  But the third session is the one where I try ideas based solely on the model's look and the chemistry between us -- I find that my third sitting with a model is often my best.

Feb 10 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I like a combination...some models don't inspire me and one time is too many, with others I don't even feel like i have begun to capture them after a few shoots.

There are one or two models I am jonesing to shoot with much more...different locations make this difficult.

If there is a chemistry (and no, I don't mean sexual) I think that certain models and certain photographers find great sustenance in working with each other many times.

I think there are other personalities that are 'collectors'...both models and photographers alike, that really don't like to shoot with any one person more than once, and at the most, twice.

I have also met a photographer that approached his models with a 'week long affair' kind of thing...he would shoot the ones he had chemistry with up to six times, within a week, and then he would never work with them again. As friends, he would hang out, but no more shooting.

Feb 10 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I've worked with Tatiana (Arianna77 here on MM: Number 24040) 15 times.  And I am hoping to work with her many more times.  It's a great blessing to have such a gorgeous lady who is willing to do almost anything (as long as she's not nude) living nearby.  I do have a bunch of things in the works for her...

Feb 10 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

I usually will work with a photographer a few times- unless their skill level is such that the work is blah..........I am very versatile and every time I get in front of a camera I end up with different stuff............

Feb 10 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

artist

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
How many times have you worked with a specific model or photographer?  What is your maximum?

As a photographer, one of my goals when working with a new-to-me model is that I hope that we both are willing & eager to work together again after that first sitting is over.  Most of the time, this is true.

But what about the other end?  For my favorite models, I might work with them as many as 6 or 7 times (over a period of 18 or more months).  But eventually, no matter how terrific the chemistry is, I run out of ideas for that particular model, and we move on.

What are your experiences?

Some models I've worked with dozens of times.  There is never any shortage of ideas, especially when new settings, situations, and when working with multiple models.  I find I'd rather have a few very good models I photograph often, than a lot of models I only shoot once or twice.   

Of course, there are always those specific instances where you need a certain model. 

I would not have been adverse to shooting the the same person/people for the past 30 years, if it had worked out that way. 

Creativity is not about the model, it's about the results you get. 

Don't confuse muse and model, or even the model with the image in the photo.  If you do, you are looking more at portrature than art, or generic "photography."

If the image of the model, as a person, (where her features matter) is important or key to the image, you are really doing some version of portraiture.

Glamour photography wears out a model with a specific photographer quickly, because it's about 70% portraiture.

Art photography, I wouldn't mind photographing the same model(s) I found interesting or able to work with every weekend, or two weeks, or monthly.  There is always something you can do, even if it's watching them do housework, read a book, or go shopping. 

In college I photographed my friends all the time.  Never got bored.  Always something to do, do differently or see in a new light.

Just a few thoughts in a different direction.

Scott
aka Bodyartist

PS: forgot... not counting family or friends, and that sort of stuff, I'd say 40-50 times is the most I've ever shot one "model" and I wish it could have been more.

Feb 10 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

No preference.

Feb 10 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

I shot one young lady over 13 times when we were both starting out - it was beneficial to both of us - a LOT of studio time where we both learned.  And yeah, got a bunch of good images out of it all as well for both of us.  There was a comfort zone established that let either of us feel free to exchange ideas and concepts.

I haven't shot with her in awhile and would still like to shoot with her again.  She continues to grow as a model and now also as a photographer.

Feb 10 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

In answer to your second question - My experience is that once you are in a 2nd session with a model, and halfway thru - you are talking about what to do next time - it's all golden from there.  I can't say there has been any drop in creativity working with  them in the 3rd/4th/5th time.

As long as you both have new and interesting things to work on together - why stop??

My personal favorites seem to have come from my 2-4th sessions with the same model.  (But that may just be because I have multiples of 2/3 session models so far - so perhaps more statistics than image quality.) 

The image in my portfolio here that easily has the most hits and comments was a 2nd session.

VintageV

Feb 10 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

I have worked with some models only once while others I have worked with so many times I can't even begin to count.  There are some models that I have been working with for 10 years!

Feb 10 06 04:35 pm Link