Forums > General Industry > How often have you worked with the same person?

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

Corena wrote:
I think it depends on how well the model and photographer get along and work together.

Exactly. I have shot with one particular model many many times. A really nice friendship has evolved from that. I've met another recently who I feel the same about. The chemistry is everything. Some people are just nicer and easier to spend time with than others.

On the other hand I have soot with people once and I can't wait till they are out of my studio. I'd like to say age is a factor but it is not. Great chemistry has no boundaries.

Feb 10 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Peterborough, New Hampshire, US

Corena wrote:
I think it depends on how well the model and photographer get along and work together. One may be the other's muse. Location may play a factor in this as well. It would be great to have a local photographer who would just call up to say..hey I'm bored, or I have a new idea, let's try it out. Not saying that every shoot should go in your book...but it surely can't hurt either of you as far as experience and trying new things out.

Exactly. I have shot with one particular model many many times. A really nice friendship has evolved from that. I've met another recently who I feel the same about. The chemistry is everything. Some people are just nicer and easier to spend time with than others.

On the other hand I have soot with people once and I can't wait till they are out of my studio. I'd like to say age is a factor but it is not. Great chemistry has no boundaries.

Feb 10 06 04:51 pm Link

Model

Soshanna

Murrieta, California, US

I have worked with Adam Rowell at least 10 times. Probably more. Every time we get amazing photos that look distinctly different from the last. I love working with him and would work with him many times over.

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050405/18/4253181a935a7_m.jpghttps://img2.modelmayhem.com/050730/21/42ec3a45775b2_m.jpg
https://img2.modelmayhem.com/051004/14/4342da5db5594_m.jpghttps://img2.modelmayhem.com/050923/13/43345d985f548_m.jpg

I believe all four of these look very different from each other even though the same model, same photographer.

Feb 10 06 05:44 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Corena wrote:
I think it depends on how well the model and photographer get along and work together. One may be the other's muse. Location may play a factor in this as well. It would be great to have a local photographer who would just call up to say..hey I'm bored, or I have a new idea, let's try it out. Not saying that every shoot should go in your book...but it surely can't hurt either of you as far as experience and trying new things out.

Ditto!

I even offer to drive my fav photogs around to cool locations I've scouted out smile Speaking of which if anyone is interested and in Santa Monica or thereabouts, drop me a line

Feb 10 06 05:54 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I think I have shot with Davide 10 times.

Feb 10 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I've worked with a few favorite models 6-8 times over a period of several years.  One of them more often.

These days with shooting mostly limited to when I travel, that's not going to be the pattern, though I do hope to photograph some of the recent ones a few more times.

I do believe that at some point saturation is reached - nothing better will be produced by more photoshoots. 

-Don

Feb 10 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Turner

Manassas, Virginia, US

I like to have long-term working relationships with models.  Relationships so long that the changes in their faces and bodies can be seen over time.  There's one woman that I've been shooting with for twenty years now. 

Oh, great!  Now I feel really old.

Feb 10 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Marion Z Skydancer

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Hmm. I don't think I can give a specific number but I know I have shot with several of my models over 50 sessions.

Feb 10 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I shoot my actor/model friend Neil every time he comes over.  He's the ultimate test model... he'll just sit around for hours while I move lights around.  I don't portfolio the pics terribly often though, haha.

This was taken the day he needed to use my printer and I said he could use it if he let me try out my new lights.  I kinda bribed him.  So we shot Time for Printer (bwahahah!)

https://amandaschlicher.com/photography/portrait/images/dsc_0051.jpg

Feb 10 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i probably have about 1200 pictures of Audrey (the girl in my avatar) from about a year's worth of random photoshoots once or twice a month. we don't usually set it up as a professional arrangement though.
more like, she comes over, either i cook or we order food, have some drinks, and take some pictures in whatever outfit she just bought (or in some cases, covered in whatever stuffed monsters she just made).
she's a friend of mine, she's beautiful, she's photogenic, so it works out well for both of us.
all the other models have been one or two time deals, so far.

Feb 10 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

Seems I'm pretty much the same as those before me. Certain models I work with on a somewhat regular basis. Others, once was more than I could handle.

Feb 10 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

I've worked with Christy Moore from Massachusetts several times (20?) over the past six or seven years and even shot her wedding as my wedding gift to her. There are other people I've worked with twice or more, but Christy is certainly #1 and at this point she's a friend, too.

Feb 11 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Usually once, maybe twice.  But there are a few models I'll work with whenever they're in the mood.  These are people who have become friends, who have a diverse range of looks in part because they aren't afraid to let emotions out, and they are creative people.  I've been working with one model at every opportunity for the past two years, more than a dozen shoots, no two have been remotely similar; another model I've photographed at least once a year since 1998, long enough that it's become almost a documentary of her evolution as a person.

Feb 11 06 05:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I think the most I've worked with the same person is 6 times over a period of several years. Working with the same person too many times too often gets redundant and boring.  If there were clients hiring us to work together repeatedly, I certainly wouldn't complain, but there aren't in my case.

Feb 11 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I worked with one model 6 times total in less than a year and there is still plenty more we could do if she wouldn`t have decided to not honor our TFP agreement anymore as I did.
I know some photographers who have worked with a model once and their policy is" Why would I work with a model more than once? How much is there to do with one single model?". That type of comment saddens me really. It shows such a serious lack of imagination.

Feb 11 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I usually do work with models on a repetative basis. I like it - we get to know one another, the work is easier when we do and we enjoy one more friendship in our lives, which is never a bad thing.

Feb 11 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Mayanlee wrote:
Wow... I must resemble that remark a lot....

-almost giggles with glee- I THOUGHT  I saw you back on MM. I saw a thread you had replied to and then I got booted right as I saw your name and never could find that thread again.

You are one of those models who I could never run out of ideas with. You know me and all those ideas I used to spout off to you in the past,lol. Models like you really get my creative juices flowing. I just wish I get the chance someday at least once.

Feb 11 06 11:15 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Dan and I have worked together 5 or 6 times. He is my best work to date. Different and edgier every time.

We make the best work together and I dont intend to end it.

Feb 11 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I would never want to put a limit on it.
  I will shoot with a model for as long as we continue to do good work together and have fun in the process.
  If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing...
  I am fortunate to have a couple of girls who fit the above parameters very well, and if they don't get fed up with me the fine work and fun will continue for some time to come.

Feb 11 06 11:24 pm Link

Model

raverchic

Washington, Virginia, US

I like working with one photographer numerous times. Vintage vista has been the person I have worked with many times, And as we finished the last shot we actually started planning our fourth set. I like doing series now and he lets me express my ideas. we then put the ideas into the works and at the end create great work. The first shoot we had was good but I look now at how far we have come and i see amazing shots we have done and plan to make ones better than the last.  Thats just my two cents

Melissa

Feb 12 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Samurai B

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

I'm always open to work with anyone, but I have been working with Sirensong for the past 2 1/2 years and will continue to do so.

I think it all depends on how willing the model is and how versatile they are. I'm lucky because she is both and I feel that's fairly rare.

SB

Feb 12 06 03:39 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

There's a few models I've worked with 4 or 5 times.  It's great cuz we know each other better, and every time we get together we do better stuff.
I would definitely work with them again...and again.

Feb 12 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

For most models I have worked with the number of times we shoot is limited more by scheduling/travel/logistics than by any decrease in quality of either ideas or images. The first session always seems to be a "get to know you" time with second and subsequent shoots usually yielding better work. These later shoots are usually months apart from each other and I think the break between helps keep either of us from going stale on each other. I'd certainly welcome the chance to try working with someone on a more frequent basis but it just hasn't happened that way yet.

Feb 12 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I worked with one model 6 times total in less than a year and there is still plenty more we could do if she wouldn`t have decided to not honor our TFP agreement anymore as I did.

That begs a new question:  how many times should a model work with a photographer on a TFP basis before expecting to get a paid job?

Feb 12 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

I fall "in love" with some models, photographically, I mean.  So, I work with them over and over, seeing their beauty freshly each time.  So far, 11 times is my max.  Others, after one shoot...well, that need is fulfilled.

Feb 12 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I work with the same models all the time. Sure I electrocuted my first one but I'm proud to say I haven't lost anyone. Yet.

Feb 12 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Elaine Dunn

New York, New York, US

As a model, I shot with Stephen Eastwood/NYPHOTOGRAPHICS dozens of times. While not all the shots worked out ("bubble bangs"), a lot of them did. I have a beautiful book because of him. However, I know the importance of having other photographers' work in my portfolio.

As a photographer, I'm too new in the game to use the same person over and over again, but I have shot some models multiple times. You get better and better, they get better and better, and you end up replacing all the old stuff.

I don't think I'd ever have a limit. I mean, if Linda Evangelista wanted to shoot with me 100 times, I sure as hell would not say, "No." However, if a model gave me two expressions (mouth open, mouth closed), I'd probably not shoot him or her again. tongue

Feb 12 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Hmmm...well some are one timees, but some I've shot for several years.  Depends  on what I'm doing and who 'fits' it. Some models like to come in and work on new sets, lighting/makeup, etc. Others just shoot, pay, and have a nice day.

Paul

Feb 12 06 11:05 pm Link