Forums > General Industry > Something offensive to me,

Makeup Artist

petra

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

you know...in the late 1800s/early 1900s, it was quite in vogue for people to take photos of the dead to carry around with them...moms, dads, even babies were painted up to seem lifelke/sleeping, then photographed as mementoes.  in this day and age, we would shudder at the idea (i think) of carrying around with us a snapshot of a dead infant...it's all a matter of perspective (no pun intended), i think. 

that being said, i would hope that if someone is shooting in a cemetery, that all respect would be paid, not just for the dead, but for the living mourners that are left behind.  one man's background is another man's grief.

Jun 17 05 08:12 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Petra,
Great post.
A great book on language that can tell much of how each of us may view the world differently is the book "That is not what I meant".  I will have to find the author.

but many societies and cultures even neighborhoods speak and act differently.  There is rudeness, insensitivity,  and worse but there is overly political correctness to handicap the world.

Balance.

My grandfather begged for photos of his wife as she was laid down.  Begged. 

I have a cemetary joke that my father use to tell me but I am too tired to write in English.  Maybe morrow.

Jun 17 05 08:21 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Mary: 
Theda, the point is, it's not ok with everyone and there are many people buried in a cemetary, not just one person with one family that might think it's fine.   

Mary I was answering your question "how would you feel if you saw or knew that a photo shoot of any kind were taking place on your loved ones grave site while you slept?"

My answer is, it wouldn't bother me. I know it bothers other people, but I was addressing the question that was asked.

Jun 17 05 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Mary: 
Theda, the point is, it's not ok with everyone and there are many people buried in a cemetary, not just one person with one family that might think it's fine.   

Mary I was answering your question "how would you feel if you saw or knew that a photo shoot of any kind were taking place on your loved ones grave site while you slept?"

My answer is, it wouldn't bother me. I know it bothers other people, but I was addressing the question that was asked.

More important question is "How would Mary know if she was really sleeping?"

Jun 17 05 09:49 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by *!photofashion!*:
oh come on!! Everybody takes offence with something or other these days...there are no rules just your own common sense or planned reactions you want to achieve.

Guess what?

There are rules.

And when you learn them, you can break them instead of making mistakes.

There is a difference.

Jun 17 05 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Jun 17 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Look,
Either you believe in an afterlife or not.
If you do, then you must believe in spirits, if you don't, then who cares anyway.... Back to the Do's

If you beleive in spirits, (whether they be ghost or angels, etc..) then I guess it comes down to, do you truly believe.

Because If They were shooting nudes on my grave, And I was a ghost, I would be all over the model....
Other Ghosts would screw up the shot or haunt the shooter etc.....

:-P

My point is this,
There is no point.
If you do not like it, Boycott it.
Do not buy images of people in Cemetaries.
Do not watch MJ's Thriller Video
Do not watch and scary movie that has a cemetary in it
Do not get brochures for cemetaries...

Whatever.

But please, Be decent and do not try to force your believes or views on others. Others think it is art, they have that right, no law broken, no harm, no foul!

:-)

Just my 8.5 cents worth (I know I am expensive!!!)

Jun 17 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Carlisle EYETEMPLE

Birmingham, Alabama, US

When I die. You are all invited to dance on my grave. Hell... Bring a keg. I will have them install a beer bong on my casket!

My headstone will have a Swiss Arca B1G head mounted on it so you guys won't have to haul tripods all the way there. Just remember your arca plates. ;-)

~~PC~~

Jun 17 05 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

when I die, My instructions are quite specific.
I am to be cremated, Then My urn is to be buried in a hole and an evergreen tree is to be planted on top of it. (the lid is to be open)

In this way, My body, and my spirit will reside in the tree forever (or until some freaking woodpecker or insects destroy my new home.... Or some idiot with a chain saw.)

So, If you want to dance on my grave, have at, otherwise, I think I am going to have animals and such as companions.....

Can you guess my religion?

Jun 17 05 02:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by petra: 
you know...in the late 1800s/early 1900s, it was quite in vogue for people to take photos of the dead to carry around with them...moms, dads, even babies were painted up to seem lifelke/sleeping, then photographed as mementoes.  in this day and age, we would shudder at the idea (i think) of carrying around with us a snapshot of a dead infant...it's all a matter of perspective (no pun intended), i think. 

that being said, i would hope that if someone is shooting in a cemetery, that all respect would be paid, not just for the dead, but for the living mourners that are left behind.  one man's background is another man's grief.

My dad had my dead cat stuffed once... That was kind of weird...

Anyone ever hear that joke about the taxidermist and the vet going into business together? 

Their motto was "...either way you get your pet back."

Jun 17 05 03:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Ty Simone: 
when I die, My instructions are quite specific.
I am to be cremated, Then My urn is to be buried in a hole and an evergreen tree is to be planted on top of it. (the lid is to be open)

In this way, My body, and my spirit will reside in the tree forever (or until some freaking woodpecker or insects destroy my new home.... Or some idiot with a chain saw.)

So, If you want to dance on my grave, have at, otherwise, I think I am going to have animals and such as companions.....

Can you guess my religion?

I want to be cremated too... but I want my urn to sit on top of the TV so that I can weird people out even in death...

Jun 17 05 03:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen ?: 
Well i think my Dad would love a couple hot nakid women dancing on his grave (:---

My dad is kind of an in the closet perve...  a couple of chicks wouldn't do it for him... he'd want at least five...

Jun 17 05 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Logan Seh

Lansing, Michigan, US

OK, I'll admit I'm a bit twisted...

But really if you want to look at it in  an extreme, Everyplace is a grave yard, Over the millions of years lots of things have died where ever.

Now the disrespect thing is coulturely based off an individuals localised coultures.

To this day, Aboriginal tribes in Austrailia, Lay their dead in caves, the children play with the bone of the ancestors.

The Catacombs under France that many teens and college students break into and play and party are The original catacombs, the clay is centuries of decomposed bodies.  National Geographic, has a pictorial some year back where a dozen college kids where nude and did war paint  with the clay. 

Sever Cathedrals in europe have been decorated with human Bones because the crypts were too full and the needed to make room.  THese are very beautiful, National Geographic has both magazine and TV documentaries on them.

I know people that have human bone decorative items, picked up where ever, these items where gifts from tribal peoples from various parts of the world.

So to me shooting, partying, having sex/orgies in a grave yard is not disrespectful.  Its a reminder of life.

Now people carving up/breaking the tomb stone/markers yea thats a no-no... But then look at the indian burial grounds that have been bulldozed in the name of development comunity/hiway/shopping mall...  Not saying its right just a reminder that it's been done and a lot of people don't care bout that, but god help them if some hot babe is gettin pictures of her boobies taken over uncle bubba's grave...

Jun 17 05 09:50 am Link

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

Posted by William Herbert: 

For the most part I find the "goth, vampy"  model thing entertaining.

But I do actually  feel it is "disrespectful" to be photographing models in cememtaries.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not like outraged but I find it in poor taste.

I have to agree with you Will.  I think it comes down to a matter of respect.  But thats me. 

Jun 17 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by petra: 

Check out James Van Der Zee's "The Harlem Book of the Dead."

Jun 17 05 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

I'm all for live and let live, but personally/artistically, I'm rather turned off by the whole goth/vamp thing and find black lipstick boring.  So, I wouldn't shoot that kind of stuff in a cemetary or anywhere else, not even for pay.

I think the disrespect issue comes down to a matter of interpretation based on the type of photos taken in a cemetary.  I'd love to try some classy artistic nudes in one.  Any willing models with cemetary connections out there?

Jun 17 05 11:28 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Paris

Portland, Arkansas, US

I ahve shot in a cemetary and the whole I was respectful and never turned over headstones and such. But when I die, I'm going to be cremated and my ashes will be with my love ones. But if a model ever wanted to do a shoot with my urn, I'd be cool with it.

Jun 18 05 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Samuel Cobb

Tallahassee, Florida, US

That’s why living in America has its perks...freedom to do "whatever" you like. Sometimes there are limitations, but those can be wiggled through as well. I enjoy expressing myself and feel goth/vamp is another areas for those willing to venture and express them self. That's their choice.

Yesterday I talked to this minister and we discussed religion. He was so set on making me believe he was right about Jesus Christ and God. Ironically, with over 6 billion people on the planet, are all those that do not believe in Christ going to Hell? I didn't think so. Com'on folks, this world is too big and folks are so sure that their beliefs are right. We all can't be wrong and no one is entirely right.

Jun 18 05 07:00 am Link

Model

KiraRhian

Orlando, Florida, US

I have no problem with cemetaries, in fact I plan on shooting in one later on today.  As long as a person respects the rules of the cemetary and respect the headstones then it is perfectly fine with me.  If a cemetary is big try to make sure that you stay far away from a funeral as possible or just wait until they are finished.

Just in case some people are wondering the cemetary I will be at for my photoshoot today is a really old one in Huntsville, AL.  In fact I have been to that cemetary on many school fieldtrips years ago.

Jun 18 05 07:18 am Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Talking about my side of the street, huh? LOL!!
Since everyone doesn't have access to an old Victorian mansion or a Scottish castle, an old cemetery is the best access to Gothic-style architecture. Beautiful old mausoleums can add so much to the photo and become the central focus of the pic in some cases.
But, agreeing with Theda's earlier post, the weeping vixen on the tombstone has been done-to-death, (pun intended).
Let's try for a little creativity, people!!! hahaha
And no, I take no offense as long as vandalism isn't involved. - CH

Jun 18 05 07:47 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 
Disrespectful to shoot in cemetaries?

Years ago, I once knew the Head of Security at the largest cemetary in Cleveland. John D. Rockefeller, Elliott Ness and President James Garfield are among the famous folks buried there. BEAUTIFUL place. The Head of Security invited me to come there at night to shoot photos for my vampire novel. He didn't seem to find that immoral or disrespectful and it was his JOB to watch after the place.

When you die, do you want people to be quiet and sad and morose around your grave? Or do you want people to have fun and enjoy the beauty of nature and create art and photography?

If there is a God who gave me an immortal soul, then She is a fun and playful Supreme Being. My God would be happy to see me using sacred ground as a place to create artistic expressions. If anyone has a God who would disagree, then I guess my God is better than your God. She's better looking too.

I wanna get to know your God too.....cus she sounds like she`s lot`s of fun and  very Kool

Cheers

Tom

Jun 19 05 01:48 am Link