Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Robb Radford: 
My thoughts are as follows

* If they are not on the tombstones it's ok
* If they are not damaging the property it's ok
* If they are just hangin out it's fine
* If they are sitting on or perfoming some form of act (sexual or satanic) then it's not ok

People shoot in cemetaries all the time, hell I have shoot in them but not with a model, there is nothing wrong with it.

Now I do have to say this.

If it offends you then don't do it. If it offends you they I do it don't look at it. If it offends you and you think that  your more important and need to prevent me from seeing it then go jump in a lake your not my MOM! smile Don't be a censor!

Have a nice day!

Robb, we were asked for our opinion on the matter.  Opinions differ and we are all entitled to one.  Telling people to jump in a lake because their opinion differs from yours is a bit immature.

Jun 16 05 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by Mary: 

Posted by Robb Radford: 
My thoughts are as follows

* If they are not on the tombstones it's ok
* If they are not damaging the property it's ok
* If they are just hangin out it's fine
* If they are sitting on or perfoming some form of act (sexual or satanic) then it's not ok

Robb, we were asked for our opinion on the matter.  Opinions differ and we are all entitled to one.

Yes and I gave an opinion so what's the problem

Jun 16 05 06:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Telling people to jump in a lake is just a bit immature.

Jun 16 05 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Why do I agree with both Mary and Robb?

EDIT:excepting the lake and maturity topics, of course.

Jun 16 05 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by Mary: 

I don't get your point here. I have slammed anyone or acted immature. I gave my opinion that is what I was asked. Why do you have a problem with my view point?

Do you have a problem that I don't think it's anyones possition to tell me what I should and shouldn't watch look at or view? All I was saying is it's not your place to tell me what's good and not good for me. I don't see why this is a problem.

Jun 16 05 06:51 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by dame: 
i dont find it offensive to the point that i would complain, but im not very interested in doing it.

and to the folks out there that said: 'theyre dead, why would they care?' i guess i agree with that.... but what if YOU went to see dear, long lost granny on her birthday... and there was some chick named sapphires treasure -butt ass nekkid- sprawled accross her headstone?

see the part that would bother me, as i would think would be the same thing that would bother you.... is the part where YOU would see YOUR family members grave being used as a backdrop for a TFCD.

if you were visiting.. and you saw this happening to your loved one, would you:

1. wait until they were finished
2. jump in the photos and give your best shoutout pose
3. scream to the highest mountaintop
4. come back to this thread and change your opinion
5. (you fill in this blank)

(but i will admit, when its done good, i can appreciate it. when i was asked to do an artistic nude at a cemetary with wings and the whole bit, i was a little hesitant. i quicly changed the background to include other parts of nature, hoping the model would reconsider the location.)

and to all a good night dammit...

Tell it like it is, Dame!!!

Jun 16 05 06:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Robb Radford: 

Posted by Mary: 

I don't get your point here. I have slammed anyone or acted immature. I gave my opinion that is what I was asked. Why do you have a problem with my view point?

Do you have a problem that I don't think it's anyones possition to tell me what I should and shouldn't watch look at or view? All I was saying is it's not your place to tell me what's good and not good for me. I don't see why this is a problem.

Robb, I never told you what was good for you or what you should view.  I made the point that in my opinion it's disrespectful to the living.  Period.

What you do or what you think is your business until you trespass on someones property of course, your rights end with the property line of others.  People go through life hurting others all the time, there has never been a law against it and I know you can regulate respect. 

Jun 16 05 07:06 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My fathers dead.  He's buried in a cemetary in Louisiana...feel free to shoot on or near his grave.  He's dead so he won't care.  I don't care because it's just a stone and he's dead.  As long as you don't f*ck anything up knock yourself out. 

Jun 16 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

Posted by Mary: 
Robb, I never told you what was good for you or what you should view.  I made the point that in my opinion it's disrespectful to the living.  Period.

What you do or what you think is your business until you trespass on someones property of course, your rights end with the property line of others.  People go through life hurting others all the time, there has never been a law against it and I know you can regulate respect.   

Oh, I'm sorry this is just a mis understanding then. The comment I made at the end of my original statement was more of a blanket statement in general not directed any one person in general. I do agree there is a point of respect that needs to be met.

Jun 16 05 07:18 pm Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

Newport News, Virginia, US

I'm not very partial to shooting in a cemetery.  It's been done too many times, and there are only so many photos done in cemeteries that are good.

I'll probably end up shooting in one.  I'm always respectful when I go to cemeteries, and when I see people who aren't, I just want to smack them.

To me, it's okay to shoot in one of these places, as long as there's respect. 

Jun 16 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by dame: 
i dont find it offensive to the point that i would complain, but im not very interested in doing it.

and to the folks out there that said: 'theyre dead, why would they care?' i guess i agree with that.... but what if YOU went to see dear, long lost granny on her birthday... and there was some chick named sapphires treasure -butt ass nekkid- sprawled accross her headstone?

see the part that would bother me, as i would think would be the same thing that would bother you.... is the part where YOU would see YOUR family members grave being used as a backdrop for a TFCD.

(but i will admit, when its done good, i can appreciate it. when i was asked to do an artistic nude at a cemetary with wings and the whole bit, i was a little hesitant. i quicly changed the background to include other parts of nature, hoping the model would reconsider the location.)

5: Ask for copies of the prints!!

Jun 16 05 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Susi: 
My fathers dead.  He's buried in a cemetary in Louisiana...feel free to shoot on or near his grave.  He's dead so he won't care.  I don't care because it's just a stone and he's dead.  As long as you don't f*ck anything up knock yourself out.   

My dad is buried in my front yard next to our world famose Spring.
10,000s of people come by every year to drink the water..
They eat food,party,take pictures..Bicycle races set up thier consesion stands here!!.

My father asked to be buried here so he could keep on with the  party..
My Mother and Sister just died they will be placed here also..

It is thier wish that you stop by hang out and have a good time!!

Jun 16 05 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen �: 

Posted by Susi: 

My dad is buried in my front yard next to our world famose Spring.
10,000s of people come by every year to drink the water..
They eat food,party,take pictures..Bicycle races set up thier consesion stands here!!.

My father asked to be buried here so he could keep on with the  party..
My Mother and Sister just died they will be placed here also..

It is thier wish that you stop by hang out and have a good time!!

Sorry about your recent losses Hugh, but it's great to read that your family is as cool as you. I guess they are right when the say "the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree."

Jun 16 05 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I've never worked in a cemetary with a model, but I've shot in dozens of them.

I always approach it with the inevitable truth in mind that it is our final destination on Earth.

I also try and show some respect for a change.

Jun 16 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by William Herbert: 

But I do actually  feel it is "disrespectful" to be photographing models in cememtaries.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Nope, not me!

Jun 16 05 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

For the most part I find the "goth, vampy"  model thing entertaining.

But I do actually  feel it is "disrespectful" to be photographing models in cememtaries.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not like outraged but I find it in poor taste.

A couple unrelated, ADD like thoughts...

In my earlier days of photography, when my work was a bit more overtly "goth" I used to get contacted by models (and sometimes a photographer) who wanted to do "goth" shots with me.  When I asked what they had in mind, inevitably most would like a cemetary shot.  So the question I'd always ask, is why?  Most of people hadn't a clue, the only response they could come up with is they thought it would be cool.  And, what else would be way gothy.  MOST of these people weren't very familiar with goth subculture other than the stereotypical black clothes, lipstick,  hanging out in cemetaries etc etc they wanted to play goth.  This was their way of doing it.

I think shooting in cemetaries can be way cool, or interesting, or poignant, or iconic or tragic or any number of things, depending on the journalistic or artistic intent.  My problem is that many people give little consideration to what they're trying to say with their image, they're just being lazy with inserting an iconic symbol and expecting it to mean something.

For me whether it is disrespectful or not depends on context.  The most interesting cemetaries, from an atmospheric standpoint tend to be older ones.  I don't recall seeing tons of gothy shots in cemetaries that have ground level or simple up/down tombstones.  If you're shooting in a cemetary where the folks have been dead for 100 years, unless you live in a community of vampires, chances are you won't be intruding on the living (or undead) coming to visit grandpa joe.

Photographers use all sorts of places as subjects and/or backdrops for images.  As long as the shooting isn't happening whilst they're dropping someone into the ground or someone is urinating or defecating on the grave, I don't really have a problem with it.

Jun 16 05 08:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by theda: 
I've had a lot of close(ish) family members die. It would not bother me in the slightest if someone used their burial plots for a photoshoot. It would bother me if they knocked the rocks off the tombstones or ate a bacon cheeseburger on their grave, but simply shooting there and *gasp* laughing there? Nope. S'kay with me.

I can't lie... It wouldn't bother me at all either - unless they were sitting on dad's headstone... then I'd be mad...

Jun 16 05 08:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Susi: 

I'll second that...  My dad, my grandparents and my mother are all in the same spot... that should give anyone plenty of space to shoot...  But don't be surprised if my dad pops up and snatches you from his grave...

Jun 16 05 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Let's ban all cemetary shoots!
And while we are at it, let's ban all outdoors shots, because us geeks hate going outdoors.
And even worse is the indoor shots, because they do not look like real shots anyways, so let's ban those as well.

And while we are at it, let's ban webcams as well, because we all know what they are used for... Oh and TV. It is destroying the kids mind... And Radio, because shock jocks are worse than TV.... and Nintendo and.....

Ok, you get my point yet :-P

If only one person, besides the photographer, thinks it is art, then it is art. And there is always one (twelve on the MJ jury.....)

:-)

Jun 16 05 08:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

I second the "let's ban web cam shots."  They are too fuzzy to count as images...

Jun 16 05 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Reese: 
I second the "let's ban web cam shots."  They are too fuzzy to count as images...

Hey some of my favorite models have webcam shots!!!!

Jun 16 05 08:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

too bad... :::snicker::: we're banning 'em...

heh heh heh...

(just kidding)

Jun 16 05 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I think if the photos or video is in a taste that brings awareness to the cemetary or gravestone(s) you can see in the said photo or video it would be ok. To disrespect a gravesite, gravestone, property of the cemetary in any way is vandalism and is a federal crime i believe.
There are certain photos like if you are trying to capture lossness, missing you, love, will never forget you kind of photos for cards lets say is a kind gesture. It is a way of "Remembering" someone after they have gone. If someone wanted to use a gravestone of one of my relatives for this purpose, i would be happy to allow them to do that, but only for that purpose.

Jun 16 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Reese: 
too bad... :::snicker::: we're banning 'em...

heh heh heh...

(just kidding)

Kidding?
Kidding?

I was almost done with my new internet worm targetted at webcams.....

Sheesh. Another 30 minutes of my life lost to useless work :-((((

Jun 16 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

If I had the time, I would wait until they finished to visit. If I didn't have the time I would ask the photograher and model for a few minutes alone with my dearly departed and then just leave them to their work.

Posted by dame: 

Jun 17 05 12:15 am Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

I dont see a problem shooting in cemetaries. Whats wrong with using a natural background to add that element of reality? Man created cemetaries to remember and honor the dead and celebrate their lives. Honor the memories, honor the expression. There is nothing disrepectful in that.   
However, Vandalism is disrepectful..thats a whole other topic. I'm talking about shooting in a cemetary for artistic purposes. You cant say those type of shots dont  inpire thoughts in people.

Then again, I have the mind of an Artist so I see things different than the majority.

Remember - Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder. 

Jun 17 05 12:25 am Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

if the shot is sexual in nature I think its offensive...but if the cemetary is used as a bacground in a portrait or something I feel its ok

Jun 17 05 12:30 am Link

Model

robin mcquay

Tacoma, Washington, US

Posted by Carlos Arturo Velarde: 
I don't see anything wrong with shooting in a cemetary. I mean, everyone there is dead and doesn't care either way.
Cemeteries are actually there for the living, not for the dead!
Also, if you believe in the eternal soul then you know that the soul is already gone when you're buried, and if you don't then it doesn't matter anyway.

agreed, i dont see how its offensive, its a peaceful and beautiful place, but some ppl dont think that, which is fine...as long as ur not like being disrespectful, like moving shit off of grave stones or hitting them, i dunno, doesnt bother me, if they wanna do photo shoots in cemetaries its none of my business, so who cares.

Jun 17 05 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Well i think my Dad would love a couple hot nakid women dancing on his grave (:---

Jun 17 05 02:30 am Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

the most offensive thing i can see here is the time people waste on such an irrelevant topic.
Its almost as bad as a "models with tatoos do they work?" type thread............but not quite.

Jun 17 05 02:35 am Link

Model

Maxtastic

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Posted by HenryS: 
I hate cemetaries, but have to say that the idea of shooting in Woodlawn Cemetary, close to me, in The Bronx, has crossed my mind many times.  Woodlawn is quiet and absolutely gorgeous. 

Woodlawn cemetary is one of my favorite cemetaries! They have on of the most beautiful angel headstones I have ever seen, and is quite possible the most beautiful cemetery in the Northeas.

No desire to shoot there, but I do have many pictures of it.

...I must say, I'm a bit jealous.

Jun 17 05 02:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by *!photofashion!*: 
the most offensive thing i can see here is the time people waste on such an irrelevant topic.
Its almost as bad as a "models with tatoos do they work?" type thread............but not quite.

I disagree.  I think the topic is a great one because it opens peoples minds to pay attention to how their actions can affect others...sometimes it's not all about us and what we feel like doing. I'm sure most people here are pretty set in their ways but there are a few that may stop and say "yea, maybe thats not a respectful thing to do, I never looked at it that way."

Jun 17 05 02:58 am Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

Posted by Mary: 

I disagree.  I think the topic is a great one because it opens peoples minds to pay attention to how their actions can affect others...sometimes it's not all about us and what we feel like doing. I'm sure most people here are pretty set in their ways but there are a few that may stop and say "yea, maybe thats not a respectful thing to do, I never looked at it that way."

oh come on!! Everybody takes offence with something or other these days...there are no rules just your own common sense or planned reactions you want to achieve.

Having a thread that talks for days about whether taking photos in a cemetary may offend some people is like having a discussion about just how wet water is.......a no brainer!

Jun 17 05 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I like the peace and quiet that you can find in some cemeteries. Going to one at sunrise to capture the early morning light and/or mist can make for some really interesting photos and there usually isn't anyone there.

I've not brought a person to a cemetery to shoot but if someone wanted to do that, I wouldn't have a problem with it a long as it is a nice older style cemetery with the cool statues and stones.

It also seems like I heard somewhere that photographing a live person in a cemetery was supposed to be very bad luck for them.

Jun 17 05 03:09 am Link

Model

robin mcquay

Tacoma, Washington, US

well ur wasting ur time by contributing to post in this thread as everyone else is

Jun 17 05 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Any models in Northern California interested in shooting in a graveyard, please contact me!

Oh and bring your boyfriends! Means ... more for me to abuse!

And Hugh, you'll get that duct tape after this shoot ... promise!

Jun 17 05 03:18 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Leila: 
if the shot is sexual in nature I think its offensive...but if the cemetary is used as a bacground in a portrait or something I feel its ok

Impolite to suggest procreation in front of the deceased?

"Ha! Ha! You're dead. We can screw and you can't!"

If someone took nudie shots on my grandmothers grave, she'd turn over in it. But she was pretty darned prude anyway.

Seriously, if you don't learn to laugh at yourself once you die, you'll never learn.

;-)

Jun 17 05 03:26 am Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

Posted by robin mcquay: 

well ur wasting ur time by contributing to post in this thread as everyone else is

too true and i will celebrate my mindlessness by making this my 100th post!!! ;-)

Jun 17 05 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by robin mcquay: 

too true and i will celebrate my mindlessness by making this my 100th post!!! ;-)

LOL  yep yep!  ... and I'm still looking for modes who would like to shoot in a cemetary. It will NOT be nudes ... ok?  So let's have some models post if they are interested in shooting?  This is the perfect thread for it!

Jun 17 05 03:36 am Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

For the most part I find the "goth, vampy"  model thing entertaining.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not like outraged but I find it in poor taste.

Since this topic generated alot of replies I think I should as well.

I read alot of varying opinions and at least this post got people thinking.

Jun 17 05 03:42 am Link