Forums > General Industry > Something offensive to me,

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

For the most part I find the "goth, vampy"  model thing entertaining.

But I do actually  feel it is "disrespectful" to be photographing models in cememtaries.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not like outraged but I find it in poor taste.

Jun 16 05 05:01 am Link

Photographer

Xavier's Studio

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I would have to agree with you.  I don't have a major problem with the whole goth vampy thing, but to intrude upon the eternial rest of someones dearly departed is a bit more then I'm willing to do.  I would agree that it is in poor taste.  I would prefer to recreate a combo of props and backdrops to get the cemetary look.  IMHO

Jun 16 05 05:07 am Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

How do you feel about this? IS it as offensive, its a bit different, but also a bit similar.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050519/1/428d1a9e94f54.jpg

Jun 16 05 05:16 am Link

Model

Madame Cosmos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I saw a really sleezy picture of a girl topless in bondage gear running thru a cemetary laying across graves.
that could be someones young daughter, or grandmother.

Its VERY rude.
Unless it has some Classy fine-art purpose.. But Ive only ever seen a few images that I even liked..

Jun 16 05 05:18 am Link

Model

Maxtastic

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Not trying to get too deep here or anything but...

I've never shot in a cemetary, but I do think cemetaries are beautiful. I rather enjoy visiting them. I think that any art that glorifies or draws inspiration from other aspects of art is acceptable. Cemetaries are like any other beautiful place, IMO.

But hey, I'm into the whole ashes-to-ashes thing.

Jun 16 05 05:21 am Link

Model

Maxtastic

And Ms. Hel, I think your picture is wonderful.

Jun 16 05 05:22 am Link

Photographer

NightBreed

New Port Richey, Florida, US

Being someone who enjoys the Goth/Vamp styles personally
I must say that I do agree to some it may be offensive.
But I am also part of a Ghost Hunter group and there is no way to photograph ethereal beings that may or may not be in a cemetary unless you go there.
As far as using a cemetary as a background I look at it the same way.. I may have a shoot ruined by *others* but then I have something for my ghost group to post as well

smile just my 2.5 cents canadian

Jun 16 05 05:26 am Link

Photographer

NightBreed

New Port Richey, Florida, US

Posted by Maxine: 
Not trying to get too deep here or anything but...

I've never shot in a cemetary, but I do think cemetaries are beautiful. I rather enjoy visiting them. I think that any art that glorifies or draws inspiration from other aspects of art is acceptable. Cemetaries are like any other beautiful place, IMO.

But hey, I'm into the whole ashes-to-ashes thing.

What she said smile

Jun 16 05 05:27 am Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Posted by Maxine: 
And Ms. Hel, I think your picture is wonderful.

thanks doll smile

Jun 16 05 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I don't see anything wrong with shooting in a cemetary. I mean, everyone there is dead and doesn't care either way.
Cemeteries are actually there for the living, not for the dead!
Also, if you believe in the eternal soul then you know that the soul is already gone when you're buried, and if you don't then it doesn't matter anyway.

Jun 16 05 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

There is always someone to find bad taste in someones work..

It is like pain and pleasure ya gotta have one to have the other!

Some people like pain some like pleasure..
Some like Nikon some like Canon..
Some like Film some like Digital..
Some like Black some like Pink..
Some like Guys some like Girls..

Well i like Pleasure-Canon-Digital-Pink-Girls

And Graveyards

(:----

Jun 16 05 05:33 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A photographer friend of mine on OMP has a photo of his dog peeing on John Belushi's head stone. Fans leave all kinds of stuff on his head stone, like weed, beer, cigarettes. The family doesn't trip.

I feel that as long as no one defecates, or does graffitti, or disturbs the surrounding grass, etc., then it's all good.

Jun 16 05 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Hel Inferna: 
How do you feel about this? IS it as offensive, its a bit different, but also a bit similar.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050519/1/428d1a9e94f54.jpg

Great shot!! Not my style but thats why i am not the only photographer..
How many times have you seen a graveyard Scene in a movie..
Maybe we should ban all of those movies!!

Jun 16 05 05:38 am Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

I have to agree, it does have a disrespectful feel to it, even though done in the name of art. Guess nothing is sacred anymore.

Jun 16 05 05:39 am Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

I've shot in cemetaries before and i belive as long as you don't stomp on the graves and do things peacefully that its not disrespectful in the least.  I feel its very emotional and protrays a certain mood that you can't get anywhere else.

Jun 16 05 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

Depends on what exactly is being *done* in the cemetary, in my opinion. I myself don't want to shoot in them anymore, since it's such a gothic cliché. As long as you're not draped all over a tombstone or otherwise disrespectful, I don't see a problem.

Jun 16 05 05:52 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I just find the cemetary photo thing trite and tacky, although I have my own floating around if you're clever enough to find them. It ranks up with the wrist-to-forehead pose and smeared black lipstick among cheesey goth stereotypes.

I agree that the dead are long past the point of caring, but that comes down to religious views (or a lack thereof, I guess).

Jun 16 05 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It's pretty nmuch a  ciche, but I've never heard of aresident complaining.

Posted by William Herbert:  But I do actually  feel it is "disrespectful" to be photographing models in cememtaries.

Does anyone else feel this way? I am not like outraged but I find it in poor taste.

Jun 16 05 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Hey... they're dead.  I doubt they care.

Jun 16 05 06:09 am Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Los Angeles, California, US

I've shot in a few graveyards, mostly in my own family's cemetary.  I see it like this:

The person that may or may not be underneath the stone is dead.  They don't really have an opinion.  They cannot protest.

If the cemetary is indeed public, then I guess that means anyone can have access to it like a park.

If for any reason I am contacted by someone's family member telling me that the photo I have taken isn't tasteful (which most likely will never happen), I will kindly remove it.

I personally, think most cemetary shoots are becoming too cliche.  I try to stray away from that along with vampire fangs.  Every once in awhile I will find something exceptional and very beautiful.

Jun 16 05 06:30 am Link

Model

Maxtastic

Posted by SindelChaos: 
I personally, think most cemetary shoots are becoming too cliche.   

Keep shooting it, it will be back in style soon enough. Just look at Def Leppard!

Jun 16 05 06:35 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

BECOMING too cliche?  I thought they were too clichee ten years ago when I was doing them.

As a point of odd fact, cemetaries were orignally intended to be used as public parks in addition to a place to keep your dead guys. It's only fairly recent that they come to be considered sacred ground (except for a few smaller tribal faiths).

Jun 16 05 06:40 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Jun 16 05 06:41 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Disrespectful to shoot in cemetaries?

Years ago, I once knew the Head of Security at the largest cemetary in Cleveland. John D. Rockefeller, Elliott Ness and President James Garfield are among the famous folks buried there. BEAUTIFUL place. The Head of Security invited me to come there at night to shoot photos for my vampire novel. He didn't seem to find that immoral or disrespectful and it was his JOB to watch after the place.

When you die, do you want people to be quiet and sad and morose around your grave? Or do you want people to have fun and enjoy the beauty of nature and create art and photography?

If there is a God who gave me an immortal soul, then She is a fun and playful Supreme Being. My God would be happy to see me using sacred ground as a place to create artistic expressions. If anyone has a God who would disagree, then I guess my God is better than your God. She's better looking too.

Jun 16 05 07:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

well, as it's been stated here ...the dead are dead, I doubt they know or care. On the other hand, it is disrespectful to the living, the loved ones they left behind, and thats where I draw the line.

I never really thought about it before I saw this post and may have at one time thought it was a great idea but now I'm giving it more thought and if someone were doing a goth photo shoot at the gravestone of one of my children or my parents it would break my heart...so no, I wouldnt do it.

Jun 16 05 07:10 am Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

Howdy Folks !

As a photog who has shot in a cemetery .. it is a wonderful peaceful place to shoot... and really, I think the residents buried there dont mind a little company.. I mean hey, if i was buried there and some beautiful nude girl was posing on my tombstone.. I would be honored.... but thats me...

Happy Holidays !

Mikey

Jun 16 05 07:54 am Link

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

I hate cemetaries, but have to say that the idea of shooting in Woodlawn Cemetary, close to me, in The Bronx, has crossed my mind many times.  Woodlawn is quiet and absolutely gorgeous. 

Still, I can easily understand how many might take offense to that, but if I am buried instead of cremated (my wish) I would be honored to have a naked woman above my grave...Really!

Henry

Jun 16 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Posted by theda: 
I just find the cemetary photo thing trite and tacky, although I have my own floating around if you're clever enough to find them. It ranks up with the wrist-to-forehead pose and smeared black lipstick among cheesey goth stereotypes.

I agree that the dead are long past the point of caring, but that comes down to religious views (or a lack thereof, I guess). 

What Theda said...and I've seen enough people in morgues to know they don't smirk.

Jun 16 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

For Easter one year my whole family went to a cemetery for a picnic. Mom, grandmother grandfather, aunt, uncle, their kids. They thought I was being, well me (as a teen I was a bit of a sociopathic bitch, now I'm just a bitch), but I could't sit on those graves. I just kept thinking what if the family came and saw strangers sitting on their loved ones graves, eating egg salad sandwitches and flying kites. Something in me just felt that was wrong. I feel the same way for me to shoot in a "living" graveyard. However there are "dead" graveyards where the people buried have no more relatives alive who were alive when they died, the graves are kept up but no one goes there. I would be ok shooting there,

Star

Jun 16 05 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Fascinating what one can learn here! I have never heard of a "living" graveyard, and hope that I am really "dead" when they bury or cremate me! Those who are buried may not know the difference! LOL  But I do believe in a spirit World, so ... I'd LOVE to find a good goth lady to have a picnic on some cool grave site!  Any models game for it? I know an old cemetery not far from Redwood City in the Bay Area of California that is PERFECT for an alternative look. Also one in Santa Cruz too!  Let me know, I'm serious!

I don't see it as disrespectful at all as long as you either do not show enough details of someone's tombstone to allow it to be recognizable OR you get permission from the family. (They very well may not have a problem, or they may have no problem if you pay them.) It is important to ask! Last resort is to be so fast you don't get caught!  LOL

My teacher in photography at the college had a thing for both the dramatic goth look, and old graveyards!  I have shot in cemeteries many times for various reasons and see no problem ... again it's a matter of "permission."  But I also think it would be an honor to have a sexy goth lady posing over my grave. In fact, I think I will request it be done as my last wishes in my will!

Oh, one more thing, I could see how seeing images of tied and gagged women looking terrified might be more disturbing to someone who has been a victim of a crime where they went through such a thing.  I do not particularly like those images myself, but as a advocate of Freedom of Speech for artists, I will fight for the right of photographers to shoot it!  A victims Rights group may disagree more strongly than a group protecting the Rights of the dead.

Jun 16 05 08:22 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen �: 
Some people like pain some like pleasure..
Some like Nikon some like Canon..
Some like Film some like Digital..
Some like Black some like Pink..
Some like Guys some like Girls..

Well i like Pleasure-Canon-Digital-Pink-Girls

And Graveyards

(:----

Please direct me to the Pleasure-Canon-Digital-Pink-Girls

Jun 16 05 09:49 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Im going to bury my  Mom today. And if there are any running around the place i will damn well kick their ass.

Jun 16 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

I just think it's old hat.

Jun 16 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

dame

New York, New York, US

i dont find it offensive to the point that i would complain, but im not very interested in doing it.

and to the folks out there that said: 'theyre dead, why would they care?' i guess i agree with that.... but what if YOU went to see dear, long lost granny on her birthday... and there was some chick named sapphires treasure -butt ass nekkid- sprawled accross her headstone?

see the part that would bother me, as i would think would be the same thing that would bother you.... is the part where YOU would see YOUR family members grave being used as a backdrop for a TFCD.

if you were visiting.. and you saw this happening to your loved one, would you:

1. wait until they were finished
2. jump in the photos and give your best shoutout pose
3. scream to the highest mountaintop
4. come back to this thread and change your opinion
5. (you fill in this blank)

(but i will admit, when its done good, i can appreciate it. when i was asked to do an artistic nude at a cemetary with wings and the whole bit, i was a little hesitant. i quicly changed the background to include other parts of nature, hoping the model would reconsider the location.)

and to all a good night dammit...

Jun 16 05 01:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Hmmm... what if the cemetary was staged and not real?  Would that be better? It's the same concept...

Is it okay for photographers to take photos of the angel headstones that seem to be very common in portfolios with still life? 

Is it okay to take pictures at a funeral?  of the deceased? of those grieving?

I think that sitting on someone's headstone is in very poor taste and ill-form, as is traipsing on their grave sites...  but I, IMHO, do not think that photographing in a cemetary is a bad thing. I do however think that there should be some sort of demonstration of respect for the deceased...

Jun 16 05 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Just wanted to share. Sorry it's not goth...

https://whcphotodesign.com/photo/Kawagoe/cemetaries/images/CRW_6789.jpg
https://whcphotodesign.com/photo/Kawagoe/cemetaries/images/CRW_6772.jpg
https://whcphotodesign.com/photo/Kawagoe/cemetaries/images/CRW_6771.jpg

Jun 16 05 04:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Reese: 
Hmmm... what if the cemetary was staged and not real?  Would that be better? It's the same concept...

I don't think the discussion was so much about the concept of shooting in a cemetary but about shooting for real a place where loved ones visit their deceased family members. A private piece of property they paid well for I might add. A place that is sacred to some people because their children, parents and spouses are buried there.

Is it okay for photographers to take photos of the angel headstones that seem to be very common in portfolios with still life? 

Is it okay to take pictures at a funeral?  of the deceased? of those grieving?

I think that sitting on someone's headstone is in very poor taste and ill-form, as is traipsing on their grave sites...  but I, IMHO, do not think that photographing in a cemetary is a bad thing. I do however think that there should be some sort of demonstration of respect for the deceased...

I agree.  If you can get permission from every family member of every person who is buried there I would say fine, of course thats not going to happen. If you want to put together a mock cemetary in your back yard, great, no problem....

A photoshoot is really such an unimportant event in the grand scheme of things, our families, or friends, respect for others, human dignity.  Why would anyone risk causing others pain for a photo?  I just don't get it.

Many very young people haven't experienced yet the death of someone they love, a close family member, your perpective on these things change when this experience hits you personally.

Picture the person you love the most in this world, a child, a parent, spouse and picture yourself at their gravesite saying your final farewells...how would you feel if you saw or knew that a photo shoot of any kind were taking place on your loved ones grave site while you slept?  They were probably laughing, having a good time...how would you feel about that?

Jun 16 05 06:13 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I've had a lot of close(ish) family members die. It would not bother me in the slightest if someone used their burial plots for a photoshoot. It would bother me if they knocked the rocks off the tombstones or ate a bacon cheeseburger on their grave, but simply shooting there and *gasp* laughing there? Nope. S'kay with me.

Jun 16 05 06:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Theda, the point is, it's not ok with everyone and there are many people buried in a cemetary, not just one person with one family that might think it's fine. 

Jun 16 05 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

My thoughts are as follows

* If they are not on the tombstones it's ok
* If they are not damaging the property it's ok
* If they are just hangin out it's fine
* If they are sitting on or perfoming some form of act (sexual or satanic) then it's not ok

People shoot in cemetaries all the time, hell I have shoot in them but not with a model, there is nothing wrong with it.

Now I do have to say this.

If it offends you then don't do it. If it offends you they I do it don't look at it. If it offends you and you think that  your more important and need to prevent me from seeing it then go jump in a lake your not my MOM! smile Don't be a censor!

Have a nice day!

Jun 16 05 06:34 pm Link