Forums > General Industry > i may quit photography.....

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Dooooon't cry for me Argentina smile

Jan 28 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Jessica L wrote:
You need a muse...

precisely.

occam's razor.

vote this woman in for president!

Jan 28 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Justin N Lane wrote:
sometimes walking away is the best thing to do...

been there, done it, came back renewed

smart boy.

Jan 28 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

area291 wrote:

It's part of bigger problem, Eric.  It goes to what started happening when I was your age, I'll classify it as the age of "instant new thrill gratification."  People born after 1970 are more prone to not accept the "long haul" of life.  Change is both expected and accepted and long-term focus doesn't play as vital of a role.  There too much diversion with far easier access to new thrills, new experiences.

Look at the employment sector in LA.  The average length of a working for a company is 18 months.  My dad worked for the same company for over 40 years, and I'm sure many born prior to 1940 fall into the same sort of longevity.

I also think this is the leading reason why digital photography has become so popular.  It's instant and with the ancilliary discovery process through computers, software and new technology it is far more exciting to embrace.  It certainly isn't the cost, because starting with scratch from nothing, to produce image-for-image a cost analysis based on a film vs. digital camera making contact sheets of every image printed would require taking well over 10,000 digital images for the break even point.  But, the results are instant with digital, cost isn't the factor.

As my dad would say, the convenience of American life has created a nation of lost sheep.  I don't necessarily believe that, as the very thing he scorned has empowered nearly every facet of life while creating greater opportunity...for which you will certainly find in the next realm of excitement if photography doesn't re-create the spark.

very smart boy.

Jan 28 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
I'm getting tempted to just stop shooting.

I sort of already have, accidentally. I haven't shot for weeks. And I haven't missed it.

Nothing excites me anymore. No models thrill me. No ideas entice me. I'm just bored to the point that I want to projectile vomit for emphasis.

It's part of a greater issue, I suppose. Life itself is boring as hell to me. I've done everything I ever wanted to do. Attained every dream and aspiration. Wrote and published a novel. Wrote and directed a movie. Moved to California. Learned to pilot hang gliders. Learned to ride motorcycles. Had art gallery showings of photography.

Photography was the one thing that still held my interest.

And now that's fading too.

Emotional apathy towards every facet of life can't be healthy.

(shrug)

Then again, although I am admittedly concerned, I'm too apathetic to worry about it too much.

(chuckle)

I beat this syndrome by maintaining dual 40/hr week identities....half the time I work in my right brain world (photography), the other half I work in the left brain world (engineering). When the right half is worn out....I abuse the left half....and then back I go....weekly.

Works for me.

Jan 28 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I see this happen most with photographers who do a bulk of their photography for money(i.e doing things for hire and model portfolios, often meaning you have to do them  in a style that is not your own because they want a certain specific look). I have seen photographers who  are in their later years, bitter and cranky because of it and they feel stuck and burned out.

Take a for hire break,or at least do less. shoot for yourself, find some models to do more of what YOU want to do. Get back into the fun of shooting for the love of photography.

excellent advice.

Jan 28 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Sascha wrote:
Get married and have children and re-live the life fresh through the child's eyes... you probably will be so busy you will not have the chance to feel bored...

or, that thought may revolt you enough to a point where you actually start feeling happy about being yourself!

my favorite post.

you go girl-you are spot on.

Jan 28 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Atlskies

Franklin, Tennessee, US

Bye

Jan 28 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

I sounds like you just refuse to challange youself to be better so now you are getting bored     Shooting has no limits or rules

Jan 28 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

try skydiving. then try it again, with a camera

try shooting something ELSE. nature photography is ALOT harder than the model scene.

then become a scuba diver. then try THAT with a camera.

or stay on the couch and watch tv.

Jan 28 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

I hope you don't retire.  You have beautiful work that is hard to match.

Jan 28 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

I think that is a great idea... (take others with you.)
Do you need an address to ship your old equipment to?

Jan 28 06 11:26 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

What? Do I have to fly out there and get naked to revive your interest in 'photography'?

I have some tips and tricks for dealing with euphoria and apathy...

Jan 28 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

With all this good feedback, Eric,  I have this vision of you bouncing back like Hulk Hogan did when he was losing a match and barely able to get up.
Sounds like you are suffering from Michael Jordanitis where he got so good and done everything that he was nolonger having fun with it.
Create your own challenges.

Jan 28 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Dude, you look like you're about 38 and you've "done everything (you) ever wanted to do."?
That's heavy. I suggest making that list a fuck of a lot longer. Start with dirt bikes.

Jan 29 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Adler Photographic

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Try this for a new challenge:

1.   Buy a new digital camera. A real complicated DSLR.
2.   Throw away the manual.

Spend the next few years learning how to use the damn new thing.

If you still are bored, repeat steps one and two.

Jan 29 06 02:37 am Link

Model

Lolita Marie

Rancho Cordova, California, US

It sounds to me like depression. I'm no doctor, but I've been there for years. (still am, but working on it) It's hard to find anything that interests you when you're depressed. Life seems pointless when you're depressed. There are a lot of options to dealing with depression. There are of course medications, as well as spiritual practices. I've personally turned to Buddhism to help. A book I'd suggest is The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama. It's the most amazing book I've ever read, full of things that everyone should know but no one remembers. It's good to check in every now and then to remind yourself what's important. I also find I get really apathetic because of lack of self-esteem. I don't know how you feel about your photography, maybe you're judging it harshly? I tend to turn to books for help, so another few I'd suggest are Change Your Brain, Change Your Life to learn more about the brain functions behind it, The Zen Path Through Depression to learn a philisophical side of treatment, or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for a bit of insight about general questions. Accupuncture also helps with a many types of emotional distress. I'm not trying to diagnose anything, but I have quite a bit of experience with the illness. If you were just apathetic about photography, that would be a question of careers, but complete life apathy hints that there's something more. I know you don't know me so this may not be helpful, but I'd like to help if I can. If you have any questions or would like to talk, I'd be happy to listen. Good luck with everything. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Jan 29 06 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Tomi Hawk

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
Dibs on your stuff!

Bwhahaha ..  I love it ..  Been there done that too .. no worries strawberries .. something will light that flame again ..

*thumbsup* smile

Tomi

Jan 29 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

DanPhoto

Tampa, Florida, US

EMB wrote:

I sort of already have, accidentally. I haven't shot for weeks. And I haven't missed it.

Nothing excites me anymore. No models thrill me. No ideas entice me. I'm just bored to the point that I want to projectile vomit for emphasis.

It's part of a greater issue, I suppose. Life itself is boring as hell to me. I've done everything I ever wanted to do. Attained every dream and aspiration. Wrote and published a novel. Wrote and directed a movie. Moved to California. Learned to pilot hang gliders. Learned to ride motorcycles. Had art gallery showings of photography.

(shrug)

Then again, although I am admittedly concerned, I'm too apathetic to worry about it too much.

(chuckle)

Jan 29 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

DanPhoto

Tampa, Florida, US

EMB wrote:

(shrug)

(chuckle)

I have a friend by the name of Colt he can take care of all your problems and if not my other friend Smith & Wesson  LOL

Jan 29 06 03:15 am Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

DanPhoto wrote:

I have a friend by the name of Colt he can take care of all your problems and if not my other friend Smith & Wesson  LOL

That's the kind of thing you should try yourself before recommending to others.

Jan 30 06 01:55 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Is this a suicide note? 

Put on a happy face big_smile

Jan 30 06 01:56 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

EMB wrote:

It's cause i moved isn't it?  sigh....

Jan 30 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

The same thing happened to me a while ago, and I was afraid that i lost my touch. But then I went home to Russia for a few months and everything changed back to normal.

Don't focus on shootnig models.
Go travel. Seeing the world is amazingly refreshing.

Jan 30 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

BluesteelPhoto

Harrisburg, Arkansas, US

I have walked your footsteps brother. However, I find (and have found) that I always come back to photography. Yes, I'm ready to gag on fashion and glamour, so instead of retreating and thinking it was time to toss in the camera, I went to a book store and grabbed a pile of the most out there art books I have ever seen. After scanning through gobs and gobs of other people's work, I started to get new ideas, different than theirs, but inspired by them nonetheless.

A breather is good, but your work is excellent so it is the artist as a candle flame screaming for oxygen. Take a deep breath, move back, spin around a few times, but change that energy rhythm and you will be amazed.

I suffer from Adult ADHD so to keep me entertained with an attention span of a 5 year old, is difficult. I have learned to do everything as different as I can each and every day.

Do not give up. Take a vacation from it, go fishing.. Go to a high cliff and scream out your lungs, but realize that giving up is the easy way out.

The entire industry gets stale. Plus, with the Internet we have seen every image done a thousand ways, both good and bad. It is hard to be different but it's easy to stay in that mindset that you can't be.

A saying I have is.. You can't be better than everybody else until you get out of your own way and let it happen.

Jan 30 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Nature

I could say a couple things, but I think you need to find your own answer to your own life's contentment.
On the lighter side, just chill for a while, don't look for anything. Just chill...

Jan 30 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

swhnyc

New York, New York, US

Oscar Wilde said, "There are two great tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire, the other is to gain it."

We are such unforgivable creatures of WANT that it is disgusting to us to actually have, since everything we get leaves us wondering why we're no more sated for it. 

Don't look to your hobbies or ambitions or relationships for a sense of contentment.  It's something you have to learn to find in yourself.  If you're not a happy person, you won't become happy by distraction.

And anyway... have you tried Heroin?  Threesomes?  Killing a hobo with a hammer?  No?  Well then it's time you got started!  Come on, now... this Bud's for you!

Jan 30 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Like a previous poster, I shouldn't be alive, either (4 days on a ruptured appendix in my case...long story...). While I appreciate life more, I find that I have deeper depression around this time of year since then. I think it's just that the weather in this part of the country prevents me from doing many of the outdoor activities I like...and the color deprivation. Everything is gray, brown and beige this time of year. I thought finding colorful items to shoot would work but it didn't. Photographically, shooting moody black and white shots worked for me.

For life in general, don't focus on yourself. Focus on doing for others. Mentoring is a great idea. Or just doing some volunteer work. I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity projects when I can. The combination of helping someone else and just pure and simple manual labor is therapeutic for me. Maybe it's the farm boy in me. I don't know.

If that doesn't work, I think Woody Allen once said, "Nothing some Prozac and a polo mallet can't fix"....

Jan 30 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

It happens. Photography isn't something you can half ass. Take the time to regroup and refocus. If you can figure what it is that you loved about shooting in the first place then come back. If you can't then it's time to hang it up.

We all get moody. Drugs just prolong the denial. Good luck.

Jan 30 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Loren Scott Photography

Valley Center, California, US

EMB wrote:

De ja vu.  This sounds like me at times.  I am 42 now, and I have often commented that if I got struck by lightening today and died, I would feel like I had a pretty good life. 

I also wrote and published a book (on Delphi software development in 1996); was signed by a record label and recorded a music album (as in vinyl LP) with my band in 1988;  was a DJ on the radio in major markets; have done quite a bit of theater acting; ran four complete 26.2 marathons (and hundreds of shorter races); been paid to travel to several countries around the world as a featured lecturer at various conferences; won various awards for some of my photography work; and been fortunate enough to experience certain pleasures of life with two women at once!  (life is good)

Whenever I get bored with one thing, I find something new to challenge me.  With music, I started on drums at age 10.  I started playing pro at age 16.  So, since that was easy now, I also started playing guitar at that time.  With software development, I would constantly challenge myself with learning new programming languages or technologies. 

In fact... with my photography... I have previously done mostly weddings, portraits, and photojournalistic lifestyle work.  I got somewhat bored with that and was inspired by the fashion and glamour work of a friend of mine (Louis Gabriel) and recently started branching into those areas as well. 

There are too many things in this world to run out of things to experience new. 

--Loren--

Jan 30 06 07:43 pm Link

Model

Sari

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Don´t quit. Better take a break for some weeks or months till you burst of inspiration and enthusiasm and start to shoot again. We all need a creative break once in a while to get back the energy we need after a time of lots and hard work!

Jan 31 06 07:23 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

EMB wrote:

No. You won't.

Um, yes, I actually would. My brother will be moving to LA later this summer and I plan to visit.

Jan 31 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

I sorta feel your pain - but I can't quit as it is how I earn a living LOL - I did, however, sorta find another hobby since photography is "work" now.... metal detecting! Although I do tend to want to carry a camera just in case I find something that's been hidden for years. I will feel freaky if I find an OLD camera buried somewhere. Hang in there... Spring is coming, maybe that will help some....

PTP

Jan 31 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:

Um, yes, I actually would. My brother will be moving to LA later this summer and I plan to visit.

Any plans for the Bay area,too?

Jan 31 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Lapis wrote:
What? Do I have to fly out there and get naked to revive your interest in 'photography'?

I have some tips and tricks for dealing with euphoria and apathy...

I confess, seeing you naked would revive my interest in photography too, but that would be on the topic and I hate to stay on topic so my question is:  why would I WANT to "deal with" euphoria?  That is where I am always trying to get to.  The flow.  Do you know something I don't know?

Jan 31 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

studio L wrote:

precisely.

occam's razor.

vote this woman in for president!

Is bill jay's book THAT famous that people on MM will get the reference?

Jan 31 06 10:24 am Link

Model

DIVIANA DEVOUR

San Juan, Puerto Rico, US

Chance wrote:
Bye

AH bye yourself have some compassion dear. I say just what everyone else says start shooting for yourself but take a long break first, renew yourself. I do now and then. When I danced I took a vacation 3 times a year to just unwind go to the beach, hike find yourself .

Your great by the way Eric dont quit yet I am dying to do a shoot with you.
DD ^V^

Jan 31 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Reading through the final version of the thread seems to raise that age-old question, why do you shoot in the first place?  What motivates you, what feeds your images..are you looking for external accolades, or is it an inner process that you participate in whether someone is looking at your work or not?

And is burnout as much about the adrenaline buzz of being a photographer wearing off, or that the images you are producing are just rote, or that what you are feeling on the inside isn't making it's way out, or that it's trying to come out, you just don't have the visual language yet to express it.

And of course this may or may not be related to a larger lethargy of one's life, vision and spirit.

Feb 01 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

Step away from the "Cure" album....

Feb 04 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

I'm feeling the same way about music right now--been doing bass and keyboards for my church for 10 years and I've lost all heart for it. I'm taking a break right now and probably won't get back into it.

I considered music more than just a hobby, it was a service to my church and an expression of my faith. This, however, has not stopped me from reaching a point of complete boredom and frustration over it.

At the same time, I'm really just getting *into* photography seriously. But I realize that regardless of the genre of photography, I'll also eventually run out of things that interest me and all my shots will feel like they look the same. I reached it very quickly on landscapes and flowers. Can't stand the sight of them now. But for now I still love shooting people--glamour, fashion, weddings, portraits, candids, etc. Every new subject is a brand new challenge.

My two bits of advice:

1. Find a cause that is *bigger* than you and attach your life to it. Maybe in doing so you can find a way to use your photography skills--photojournalism in Darfur (extreme example), teaching a high school photography course, etc. Or maybe not. Doesn't matter.

2. Read Ecclesiastes. I think you might find a kindred spirit.

Feb 04 06 07:15 pm Link