Forums > General Industry > Using Forum Replies As Intelligence Tests

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Am I the only one who sometimes uses the replies given or the way they are given as some sort of a test to see if you want to work with that person or not?
I often give very good details in my posts, especially my casting call posts. I even give specific information on the best way to contact me. Such simple details that if they can not follow them , or if they ask questions already answered in the post,I am not sure if I want to use my time and effort to work with them.

Jan 25 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I don't, so I guess you're alone

Edit: (so far)

I'll go a bit deeper. I don't judge people on what is said in here. If a person can carry themselves in a face to face conversation or email pertaining to specifics of a themed photo session, I'm good and will work with them.
Fail to follow basic rules or stay within the boundaries of the theme and things get blurry and my hearing starts to fade.....

Jan 25 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Craig Thomson wrote:
I don't, so I guess you're alone

You say that as though you and I are the only two people who post in the forums smile

Jan 25 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

*eating a smurf*

Pass the salted wounds, please?

Jan 25 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Am I the only one who sometimes uses the replies given or the way they are given as some sort of a test to see if you want to work with that person or not?

I d... don't ... un... understand the kwestion!

Kann you pleaz type it slowlyer, 'cauz I kannit reed that fazt...

Jan 25 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

UdoR wrote:

I d... don't ... un... understand the kwestion!

Kann you pleaz type it slowlyer, 'cauz I kannit reed that fazt...

huuked awn funeex dydint wurk fur yew

Jan 25 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I often give very good details in my posts, especially my casting call posts. I even give specific information on the best way to contact me. Such simple details that if they can not follow them , or if they ask questions already answered in the post,I am not sure if I want to use my time and effort to work with them.

I don't get it.  What do you mean?

Jan 25 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

swhnyc

New York, New York, US

The way people express themselves online and the way they express themselves elsewhere differs a great deal, though.  I think the synapses controlling grammar, punctuation and spelling shut off once the monitor clicks on, even amongst otherwise educated and sensible sorts. 

I WILL say that whoever decided it was acceptable to do away with to, two, and too and replace them with the numerical 2 ("that's 2 funny!," "2 sexy 4 u," etc.) needs to be dragged out into the street and shot.

But I agree that in general, if people don't pay attention to what you've written and it causes them to act and/or sound like retarded Junebugs, they deserve a little mirthful ire aimed in their direction.

Jan 25 06 04:19 pm Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Not exactly the same thing, but I tend to be judgemental about people who write in non-standard, incorrect English...  For example, if someone is writing things like "l8 4 shoots," or writes an entire "paragraph" without a single morsel of punctuation, I tend to think they are a moron.  My 6th graders do better!

Jan 25 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Maybe try putting a specific request in your casting call posts...like contacting you via email or your web site...that would probably weed out the attentive people!

wink

*giggle* I'm interested.....

Jan 25 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

d'oh

Jan 25 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Mandie wrote:
For example, if someone is writing things like "l8 4 shoots,"

Thank You.

Leave the convoluted vanity plate acronyms to the losers wink

Jan 25 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
huuked awn funeex dydint wurk fur yew

nop' Me wunna reefondle wink

Jan 25 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

swhnyc wrote:
The way people express themselves online and the way they express themselves elsewhere differs a great deal, though.  I think the synapses controlling grammar, punctuation and spelling shut off once the monitor clicks on, even amongst otherwise educated and sensible sorts. 

I WILL say that whoever decided it was acceptable to do away with to, two, and too and replace them with the numerical 2 ("that's 2 funny!," "2 sexy 4 u," etc.) needs to be dragged out into the street and shot.

But I agree that in general, if people don't pay attention to what you've written and it causes them to act and/or sound like retarded Junebugs, they deserve [b]a little[b] mirthful ire aimed in their direction.

Define a little...

Jan 25 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

oR HoW bOuT wHeN ThEy tYpE lIkE tHiS?

Jan 25 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Jack North wrote:

::spins in an elliptical pattern then falls apart::

Jan 25 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Jack North wrote:

When I begin my New World Order and put "Stupid-People Genocide" into full-swing, those folks will be the first to go........

Jan 25 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

When I begin my New World Order and put "Stupid-People Genocide" into full-swing, those folks will be the first to go........

But, but who then will run our Country?

Jan 25 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

we are going to have to come to some arrangement, cannot have two world orders with death squads on the go, yours & mine.

Jan 25 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:

we are going to have to come to some arrangement, cannot have two world orders with death squads on the go, yours & mine.

Sure you can...Twice the killing...half the time

Of course if we toss my death squad in there, then we get thrice the killing in a third the time...or do you not think we can push them that hard?

Jan 25 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

raveneyes wrote:
Maybe try putting a specific request in your casting call posts...like contacting you via email or your web site...that would probably weed out the attentive people!

I DO. That is one of the things that gets me. There is no thread tracker so I say to email me if interested. Now and then I find a casting call I did months ago and forgot about and , sure enough they replied directly in the thread instead of email like I said.

Jan 25 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Mandie wrote:
My 6th graders do better!

Why do I suddenly hear Van Halen playing?

Jan 25 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

UdoR wrote:

nop' Me wunna reefondle wink

en anudder powst yer sed yer reefondle awwl thi tyme doe

Jan 25 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Ched wrote:

Why do I suddenly her Van Halen playing?

bowh chika chika wah wah

Jan 25 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I DO. That is one of the things that gets me. There is no thread tracker so I say to email me if interested. Now and then I find a casting call I did months ago and forgot about and , sure enough they replied directly in the thread instead of email like I said.

How many casting calls are you listing that you forget what you've posted?  Have you tried a bulliten board or Post-Its? tongue

Jan 25 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Brian Diaz wrote:

How many casting calls are you listing that you forget what you've posted?  Have you tried a bulliten board or Post-Its? tongue

I know, I should have written down the headers I used  back when we could make our own. But I did not. Basically any idea I thought of that I wanted to shoot I would post a casting call for. Now with the new format for posting casting calls, finding my posts are even harder.

But I do not have to post many to lose them. There are 80k members on here last I heard. Lot`s of people posting means your post gets lost in the stack.

Jan 25 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

raveneyes wrote:

Sure you can...Twice the killing...half the time

Of course if we toss my death squad in there, then we get thrice the killing in a third the time...or do you not think we can push them that hard?

good things always come in threes

Jan 25 06 05:03 pm Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ched wrote:

Why do I suddenly her Van Halen playing?

Haha, thanks Ched.

Jan 25 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Mandie,I just went through your profile and site. I am hurting right now. I was eating General Chicken, ya know, that hot spicy Chinese chicken dish? I swallowed one of the tiny hot peppers!

Jan 25 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Mandie,I just went through your profile and site. I am hurting right now. I was eating General Chicken, ya know, that hot spicy Chinese chicken dish? I swallowed one of the tiny hot peppers!

See OP's opening remark

Jan 25 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

IQ? Is that the thing that should have higher number than my age or shoe size?

Jan 25 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

No.

-D

Jan 25 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Another one of my favorites is

I am interested.

Jan 25 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jack North wrote:
Another one of my favorites is

I am interested.

wow, I was just thinking the same thing.
you should go and look at the first page of the Audrey thread...

Jan 25 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Lapis wrote:

Took you much longer to join the thread than I expected smile

Jan 25 06 06:16 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I think the way people abbriviate and/or shorten words such as 2, u, pd, etc... little annoyances like that can possibly turn someone off from them.

However, I would hope that a photographer/model would look at another photographer/model's body of work when wanting to work with someone rather than posts in forums. That seems a bit judgemental/retarded.

big_smile

Jan 25 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jack North wrote:

agg!! *throws shoe in your general direction*

Jan 25 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

The Thorny Rose wrote:

agg!! *throws shoe in your general direction*

-picks shoe back up off floor- Hell with general direction. That deserves a direct hit! -beams it at Jacks head-

Jan 25 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

I'm with you on that one GB,

If they use the word "Like" in a sentence more than three times or, the one I hate the most, "NEWAYS" or any variation thereof, they go to the trash bin pronto.

And lets not forget the all time favorite:
ur
ru
ttyl

and any of that other stupid nonsense.

It takes more time to type like an idiot than it does to type like you have some sense.

Jan 25 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Elite Imaging wrote:
"NEWAYS"

First time I saw this one I though" Kneeways?"

Jan 25 06 06:33 pm Link