Forums > General Industry > My Harlem Experience

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

So...last night I was scheduled to go to a swimsuit fitting in NY..Harlem to be exact...this was a fitting for a swimsuit fashion show at the end of January. So I made my appointment and across the GWB, down the FDR I go...right into the middle of Harlem.

And I finally get to this designer's studio apartment..whatever it is- and there's NO PARKING. Anywhere. It's like NYC on New Year's without parking garages.

I called the designer and said, "hey, I've been driving around your block for ten minutes now and there's no parking- what do you suggest (i.e. do you know of a parking garage that I missed? do you know where I could find additional parking? I'm not from Harlem and I'm not leaving my car in a remote area etc.)?"

She says: "Oh well- I don't know what to tell you- it's usually not that busy- maybe you could keep driving around or just park you car in the street and wait until someone gets out?"

....um.....

I say: "The streets are one way- I can't just park and wait- it's rush hour and people are using the streets to drive on them..."

She says: "Um...I don't know...maybe you could find something 5-10 blocks away and walk?"

Without being rude...

"Um- I'm not familiar with this area, and I'm by myself- I'd rather not walk 10 blocks to your apartment (thinking maybe she'd offer to walk with me)"

"Ok- well call me if you find parking" *click*

**dials James Graham**

"Hi- I can't find parking- where are we meeting in midtown?"
"Why are you in Harlem?"
"Yeah....bout that."

K- that's all- just wanted to share my story of my adventure to and out of Harlem last night. Hope you enjoyed.

-D-

Jan 11 06 10:53 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Harlem is totally safe.  The streets swarm with Columbia students 'round the clock.

Jan 11 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Daniela V wrote:
So...last night I was scheduled to go to a swimsuit fitting in NY..Harlem to be exact...this was a fitting for a swimsuit fashion show at the end of January. So I made my appointment and across the GWB, down the FDR I go...right into the middle of Harlem.

And I finally get to this designer's studio apartment..whatever it is- and there's NO PARKING. Anywhere. It's like NYC on New Year's without parking garages.

I called the designer and said, "hey, I've been driving around your block for ten minutes now and there's no parking- what do you suggest (i.e. do you know of a parking garage that I missed? do you know where I could find additional parking? I'm not from Harlem and I'm not leaving my car in a remote area etc.)?"

She says: "Oh well- I don't know what to tell you- it's usually not that busy- maybe you could keep driving around or just park you car in the street and wait until someone gets out?"

....um.....

I say: "The streets are one way- I can't just park and wait- it's rush hour and people are using the streets to drive on them..."

She says: "Um...I don't know...maybe you could find something 5-10 blocks away and walk?"

Without being rude...

"Um- I'm not familiar with this area, and I'm by myself- I'd rather not walk 10 blocks to your apartment (thinking maybe she'd offer to walk with me)"

"Ok- well call me if you find parking" *click*

**dials James Graham**

"Hi- I can't find parking- where are we meeting in midtown?"
"Why are you in Harlem?"
"Yeah....bout that."

K- that's all- just wanted to share my story of my adventure to and out of Harlem last night. Hope you enjoyed.

-D-

Curious was it the ten block walk or the fact that it was through Harlem?

Jan 11 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Tony Lawrence wrote:

The fact that I had no idea where I was- was by myself and knew that there wasn't parking even within 10 blocks...

Jan 11 06 12:31 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Unfortunately people associate Harlem with "mean streets of NY".....whatever that is.  It really isnt that bad. I actually thought it was rather nice when I was there.

Jan 11 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Unfortunately people associate Harlem with "mean streets of NY".....whatever that is.  It really isnt that bad. I actually thought it was rather nice when I was there.

Yes, it is unfortunate.  Things have changed a lot.  At the corner of MLK Blvd. and Malcolm X Blvd, there's a Starbucks...

But yeah, parking blows, and the designer should have been more helpful.

Jan 11 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Model Sarah wrote:

I just wasn't comfortable being there for the first time, by myself, at night.

Jan 11 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Depends where you are in Harlem. The area around Columbia and 125th Street is quite nice, but across from Morningside Park in Spanish Harlem it gets iffy.

Jan 11 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Yes, it is unfortunate.  Things have changed a lot.  At the corner of MLK Blvd. and Malcolm X Blvd, there's a Starbucks...

"What did Martin Luther King stand for? Non violence. I dont care where you at in America if your on MLK blvd. there is some violence going down. Like you call 9-1-1 'i'm lost and i'm on MLK' and the dispatcher says; 'RUN!!!' " - Chris Rock

This is about the only place I have seen that statement wasnt true. Funny though.

Jan 11 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

NYC now would get its ass kicked by NYC in the 80s.  Badly.

Jan 11 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

As a child growing up in the 70's, I remember Harlem being described as the ultimate ghetto hell hole. In fact, it was the cliche ghetto.

I understand that it was nicer before then and is nicer now. Doesn't Clinton have an office there?

Jan 11 06 03:02 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Niesha Studio wrote:

Totally.

The thing about Manhattan is, you're never alone.

Harlem has some of the most beautiful architecture in this city.  I've thought about moving to that area myself.Yes, Clinton does rent an office there, thereby driving up the rents all around him. Bastid.

And, yeah, damn those 19th century archtiects not planning for your SUVs!

Jan 11 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:
Doesn't Clinton have an office there?

Yes.

Jan 11 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey, I could be in Smallville and if I don't know the area, it is late at night, and I am expected to walk a mile in the dark. I probably will say no...

Star

Jan 11 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Model Sarah wrote:

"What did Martin Luther King stand for? Non violence. I dont care where you at in America if your on MLK blvd. there is some violence going down. Like you call 9-1-1 'i'm lost and i'm on MLK' and the dispatcher says; 'RUN!!!' " - Chris Rock

This is about the only place I have seen that statement wasnt true. Funny though.

Word.  In Milwaukee, 3rd st turns into MLK just as it starts to get rough... that's funny stuff.

Jan 11 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Star wrote:
Hey, I could be in Smallville and if I don't know the area, it is late at night, and I am expected to walk a mile in the dark. I probably will say no...

Daniela V wrote:
I just wasn't comfortable being there for the first time, by myself, at night.

Good. What a relief to know that society had adequately brainwashed 2 more women into being helpless potential victims, fearful of muggers and rapists around every corner.

Jan 11 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Star wrote:

Good. What a relief to know that society had adequately brainwashed 2 more women into being helpless potential victims, fearful of muggers and rapists around every corner.

Nope, I get lost easily smile

Also, what society has done is keep women from putting themselves into potentially dangerous situations. I am not model pretty, so I have never had any problems. BUT, to go somewhere alone in the dark kinda sounds like the start of a Buffy episode don't you think?

Jan 11 06 03:54 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Star wrote:
Nope, I get lost easily smile

Also, what society has done is keep women from putting themselves into potentially dangerous situations. I am not model pretty, so I have never had any problems. BUT, to go somewhere alone in the dark kinda sounds like the start of a Buffy episode don't you think?

Harlem is constantly crowded and well-lit.  Unless she managed to wonder to somewhere in the Bronx, she'd have been fine.  And I think she'd have noticed the large-ish body of water before that happened.

Jan 11 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Jan 11 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Jan 11 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Star wrote:

You should really be careful with conclusions you jump to...did you ever think there might be a reason behind a fear of walking in a dark area that I'm not familiar with? Course you didn't. Clearly the designer didn't. I think it's highly inconsiderate to expect anyone to walk around in a neighborhood they are new too, in the dark, by themselves.

Jan 11 06 04:08 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

theda wrote:

Harlem is constantly crowded and well-lit.  Unless she managed to wonder to somewhere in the Bronx, she'd have been fine.  And I think she'd have noticed the large-ish body of water before that happened.

Well where I was- it was *not* well lit.

Jan 11 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ummm.  What about a cab?  I've taken a cab when I had to park far away
from where I wanted to be.

Jan 11 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

Jan 11 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

That is the funny thing about NY, it has only 8 million people in it and noone ever thinks that parking and driving around might be a problem, but when it is a problem they get irritated. My question is what was the designer supposed to do, have valet parking?

Jan 11 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

shabaka

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

"I just wasn't comfortable being there for the first time, by myself, at night."

Greetings,

I have a buddy from N. Philly who feels the same way when he travels to the suburbs.  Go figure!

Take care,
AJ

Jan 11 06 08:28 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Bring your Columbia student fly swater next time...smile

Jan 11 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Lost in NYC?  They make it easy for you by numbering the streets...

Honestly, I can understand the apprehension and caution felt when in a place with which you are unfamiliar.  But I've never found parking in NYC to be a quick or pleasurable experience or Harlem to be particularly more dangerous than anywhere else.  I'm actually slightly more comfortable parking on the street with plenty of potential witnesses walking around as opposed to a parking garage out of sight.

If you get out of your car looking nervous and afriad, you're more likely to attract the attention you fear than if you simply walk around as if you belong there.  People are probably more concerned with their own business anyway.

Jan 11 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

ShotsByMate0

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
Harlem is totally safe.  The streets swarm with Columbia students 'round the clock.

uhhhh that is the beginning of Harlem... walk around the 140's late at night and I guarantee you will never say such silliness again! smile

Jan 12 06 04:27 am Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:

oh its still very true, there, very true.. i take nobodys on this forum doesnt buy drugs in that neighborhood?

Jan 12 06 04:35 am Link

Photographer

RoldanImages

New York, New York, US

ever noticed the crime never really happens in harlem..  mostly in the soho area..

Jan 12 06 05:03 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Digital Al wrote:

uhhhh that is the beginning of Harlem... walk around the 140's late at night and I guarantee you will never say such silliness again! smile

You're right. Unless we know where in Harlem we're talking about, we really can't draw any conclusions.

Jan 12 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Ummm.  What about a cab?  I've taken a cab when I had to park far away
from where I wanted to be.

There are hardly any yellow cabs in Harlem, except for 125th Street. It's not like the rest of Manhattan.

Jan 12 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Okay here comes the racial twist.  Ya knew it had to happen.  maybe it was the fact that she was alone, in a strange neighborhood, in New York City and was facing the prospect of walking ALONE!  Man doesn't matter if it was Harlem or the good old Mid-West, I doubt that she would feel safe walking alone at night regardless!

Jan 12 06 07:00 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Star wrote:

Star

Exactly, but the race card has to be played, you know that.

Jan 12 06 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Lost in NYC?  They make it easy for you by numbering the streets...

Honestly, I can understand the apprehension and caution felt when in a place with which you are unfamiliar.  But I've never found parking in NYC to be a quick or pleasurable experience or Harlem to be particularly more dangerous than anywhere else.  I'm actually slightly more comfortable parking on the street with plenty of potential witnesses walking around as opposed to a parking garage out of sight.

If you get out of your car looking nervous and afriad, you're more likely to attract the attention you fear than if you simply walk around as if you belong there.  People are probably more concerned with their own business anyway.

I have visited NYC often and found parking to be almost impossible to find anywhere.. I also agree that if you walk like you are scared then people around you will feel it... conversly if you walk around like you know where you are going (even if you dont) and belong there then they wont bother you... they usually have too much of their sh*t to worry about other than u.

Jan 12 06 07:19 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

theda wrote:

do they still have the globetrotters???

Jan 12 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

although i'm not sure what the point of the original post was, other than maybe to share and vent, i find the digs at daniela for her concerns/fears/apprehension a little more than annoying.

a female--anybody, really--in a neighborhood they are not familiar with, at night, which admittedly has had a reputation for crime for several years, has every right to be cautious or nervous.  harlem may be undergoing a renaissance, but there are stretches of Frederick Douglass Blvd that will not be Wisteria Lane for a long time. for all of the advice to models posted in other threads about "yeah, girl, be careful when going to a shoot. don't put yourself in a situation where you feel uncomfortable...," there certainly seems to be a cavalier and condescending response from some people here.

i'm a native new yorker. a black male. i'm 6'5" and weigh 218. i probably fit in to the neighborhood more than daniella--or most of the people posting in this thread. there are neighborhoods in harlem i am not comfortable in. i have relatives who live in harlem who avoid certain areas. hell, there are blocks in "trendy" chelsea, my own area, that are dicey.

since columbia university doesn't encompass the entirety of harlem that is a bit of an overstatement. even they know which areas are chill and which are not.

i think if anything, we should be saying, "hey, the neighborhood you were in was actually okay, but you were smart for trusting your gut rather than not."

all that said, daniela, what was the point of your original post?

Jan 12 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Niesha Studio wrote:

lmao!

Jan 12 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Upon further reflection and after my morning coffee.. in responce to the OP.. I agree that the designer should have been more helpful/considerate in helping you to find parking in an area that you were new to.  I agree that she should have at least offered to come down and ride with you to your final parking place and walk back with you to her home/office to make sure that you didnt get lost or accosted.

Jan 12 06 09:20 am Link