Forums > General Industry > Model Makeup

Model

Ms Keala

Pahoa, Hawaii, US

Hey I wanna know if anyone can give makeup advice and share you favorite looks and how-tos.

Aloha from Hawaii!

May 13 05 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Here's a link to a pretty decent forum that has a lot of makeup pro's from the industry on it:

http://p082.ezboard.com/fmakeupandrelatedindustriesfrm5

May 13 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Ms Keala: 
Hey I wanna know if anyone can give makeup advice and share you favorite looks and how-tos.

Aloha from Hawaii!

best make up advice..hire the best pro you can afford....

May 13 05 06:05 pm Link

Model

Ms Keala

Pahoa, Hawaii, US

I believe models should know how to apply their OWN makeup instead of relying on a makeup artist.  This way the are well-rounded and save money on photoshoots.

May 14 05 12:13 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Ms Keala: 
I believe models should know how to apply their OWN makeup instead of relying on a makeup artist.  This way the are well-rounded and save money on photoshoots.

(Eric ducks as runs as MUAs pull out flamethrowers...)

May 14 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

ANON

May 14 05 12:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 

Posted by Ms Keala: 

(Eric ducks as runs as MUAs pull out flamethrowers...)

well you better duck because I'm ready to fire. smile 

Let me just be very honest..............

You should know how to apply your own makeup if you do budget shoots that won't hire an artist, that would be great to have a model that could do her owm makeup and save everyone money....but it is in the best interest of all artists to keep our secrets to ourselves so that when the  client sees how bad the makeup looks in the photos he will decide to hire a pro next time.  This keeps us working, we like to work, we have bills to pay.  It's that simple.  So the only FREE advice you will get from me is 'hire a pro' advice beyond that will cost you dearly.

I hope that helped smile 

May 14 05 12:30 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Posted by Ms Keala: 

i have photographed about 70 models in the past year..three them could do thier own make up on a professional level..one was a cosmotology student, the other two, 10 and 20 year modeling veterans.(and quite frankly, they still hire MUAs.)

there isn't a professional shoot, from a paying client that doesn't include the hand of a professional MUA..
there is a reason for that..if you want profesional images, there is only one way to get them..by working with professionals..otherwise, you are just hobbying..

and i think im am pretty accurate in saying, if you haven't used an MUA on a shoot..you are not getting portfolio quality images..

May 14 05 10:39 am Link

Model

Ms Keala

Pahoa, Hawaii, US

Where I am from we dont have a handful of MUAs, all the photographers I have worked wanted the models to do their own makeup.  This was ment for models who do their own makeup.  This form was so we can exchange tips and techniques NOT for MUAs to bash me or telling me that I MUST hire one in order for them to get money and get "professional quality".

May 14 05 07:40 pm Link

Model

Jacqui

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I was told *by* my last MUA that I should learn how to do makeup to a semi-decent quality just in case I have to do or begin it in an emergency at a photo shoot where the MUA has cancelled or is caught in traffic and will be late, or whatever.

I'd never even considered this until she told me.

May 14 05 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

it all comes down to whether or not you are truly interested in modeling..

if you have no desire to invest anything in your career, you can pretty much guess what you'll get out of it..

nothing in this life, that is worthwhile, comes easy or cheap...

May 14 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

I usually go with just a light blush myself!!
LOLOLOL!!!!
What I know about make-up could be engraved on the head of a pin.
I do know several models who rave about MAC.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/door/events.tmpl

That link will get ya signed up for notification of events in your area, or you can e-mail an artist.
Hope that's some help. - CH

May 14 05 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I am trying to learn makeup. 

I do have much respect for them but it is terrible when something happens and you have to cancel because no one on set has a clue or product to at least get by.

If anyone wants to be my pin cushion then send me mail.

May 14 05 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
nothing in this life, that is worthwhile, comes easy or cheap...

What do you mean? I'm worthwhile, easy and cheap. Just ask my ex-girlfriends.

May 14 05 08:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Models should learn basic make-up. Yeah, it's nice to have a great MUA (and most of those claiming that title MUA are not very good at all). If you've ever had your MUA flake, you'd wish to hell the model was at least somewhat make-up savvy.

Frankly, most of what I do doesn't need a MUA. Besides being exceptionally gifted, i have extensive drag queen training.

Mary, I totally get where you're coming from. "Here. Let me tell you everything you need to know in order to make me useless!"

May 14 05 09:08 pm Link

Model

Jacqui

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
it all comes down to whether or not you are truly interested in modeling..

if you have no desire to invest anything in your career, you can pretty much guess what you'll get out of it..

I completely, 100% understand and agree with what you're saying, but...

Posted by marksora: 
I do have much respect for them but it is terrible when something happens and you have to cancel because no one on set has a clue or product to at least get by.

This pretty much what my MUA was warning me about.

May 14 05 09:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Ms Keala: 
Where I am from we dont have a handful of MUAs, all the photographers I have worked wanted the models to do their own makeup.  This was ment for models who do their own makeup.  This form was so we can exchange tips and techniques NOT for MUAs to bash me or telling me that I MUST hire one in order for them to get money and get "professional quality".

you asked for tips from "anyone" and I am "anyone" and I gave you the best tip I could and I didn't charge you, consider yourself fortunate. Giving you an answer that you don't care for isn't bashing.  Perhaps you should have clarified your questions with...."I NEED HELP FROM OTHER MODELS" instead you said "anyone"

May 14 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by Ms Keala: 
This form was so we can exchange tips and techniques NOT for MUAs to bash me

The bashing is pretty much the format here, I'm afraid.  Try the forum link I gave at the top of this thread.

May 14 05 10:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 

Posted by Ms Keala: 
This form was so we can exchange tips and techniques NOT for MUAs to bash me

The bashing is pretty much the format here, I'm afraid.  Try the forum link I gave at the top of this thread.

hmmmmm, I wonder who moderates that site?

May 14 05 10:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

petra

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

as an mua, i always appreciate when a model has a basic understanding of photographic makeup.  that is to say, if you are serious about your career, you take good care of your skin and prep it well.  if you know, for example, from experience, that your skin tone matches say, mac studio tech nw20, that's less testing for me.  i'll still test foundation, but it gives me a good springboard.  the fact is, we are all trying to carve a niche out for ourselves, and to spit venom at each other is counterproductive.  if a model wants makeup advice, i'll give it, but on a limited basis. i didn't trial-and-error my way through and go to cosmetoloy school just so that someone else could reap the benefit of my experience without applying his/herself.   just as i expect a photographer to give me a limited answer if i have a photography question (related, of course, to makeup).  the way i see it, if the photog. has studied for years and worked his/her ass off, who am i to try and usurp those talents?  a little info is good, but giving away all your knowledge is cutting your own throat.
but really, fellow aesthetes, why all the anger towards each other?

May 15 05 01:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

No anger.

Just really really tired of some folks who think of this as an "insta-career:  just add water."

Not to say the original poster is looking for that.  But this is what we run into daily.  Someone hears we're makeup artists, and they instantly want to pick our brains about the best this or that, get free consultations, etc.

I agree with Mary's advice.  Hire a makeup artist.  Pay that artist to sit you down and specifically give you personal instruction.  This will take several hours at least, so be prepared to pay the artist's day rate.  If you plan on doing a lot of modeling where you'll have to fork out the dough for an artist (why???), then over time this will be the best investment.  However, any real assignment will already have the artist budgeted for, so there's no cost savings to the model at all.  Why should the model take it upon themselves to save money for the client?  What's in it for the model to do so?  Crappy pictures, usually.

Aside from that, we cannot possibly look at a picture online, and give a good consult, even if we were so inclined.  We can possibly get close, even come up with a few lucky answers, but being specific to one person is simply impossible.

Better URL for the forum mentioned above:  www.themakeupstudio.com
(it's easier to remember)

It is owned by me and moderated by Mary.  We sincerely welcome new blood, but since the forum has been around for well over three years and quite a few questions have been asked 100s of times, we do require that new members sit back and read FAQ and the main board before posting questions.  But it won't teach anyone technique.  That comes from hands on learning and practice.

May 15 05 02:19 am Link

Model

Ms Keala

Pahoa, Hawaii, US

First of all thank you to those who understand me.  All I wanted was makeup tips.  My intention was not the rob MUAs their money but to have a forum that can help models get tips of "basic" makeup application NOT tips of "unique" makeup application.  I AM NOT TRYING TO ROB MUAS OF MONEY OR THEIR SPECIAL "STUFF".

May 15 05 02:44 am Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

just my 2 cents

Trying to tell someone ways that will help -vs- visualizing it are two different things. In Honolulu both Nordstroms have Mac counters.
Normally they do make overs on weekends and beauty tips during the week but at specific times. At least here that's how it is.
My suggestion is call those stores and find out when they do make up. Take a day trip over (not sure how far you are from there), and watch how they do others make up. Some go light per customer request and others go bold. You will get a chance to see a variety of work done. Then find a girl that you like how she applies make up and have her do yours. She'll talk you through how to do certain things, what might be a good make up to add to what you already have. They will draw up a chart of what they used on you, which is very helpful if you really liked what they did, yet can't afford to buy all the products. I love their mascara and concealer, oh and their foundation brush is great.
At least that's a start to help you on those shoots that no make up artist is available and I don't know what your limitations are with being in Hawaii on how often one is used.
I love when I have a make up artist on shoots, but I have worked many pay jobs that they didn't even include one in the budget so it's good to be prepared with knowing how to put yourself together based on the style of the shoot.

Don't know if that helps. Btw,You have beautiful eyes and skin. Best of luck smile

Nordstrom Shoes at Ward Centre (#43)
1200 Ala Moana Boulevard
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808) 593-2255
Nordstrom Rack at Victoria Ward Centre (#48)
330 Kamakee Street
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808) 589-2060

May 15 05 02:47 am Link

Model

Ms Keala

Pahoa, Hawaii, US

I am in HILO a town on the Big Island.

May 15 05 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Well as one who practically never shoots without a print qualified makeup artist, being able to do some basic things would be a good idea. I do like the idea of getting a print qualified makeup artist to give of advice on a one to one.

You might also consider buying a couple of books on the subject to supplement the advice of the make up artist.
http://www.makeupbooks.com/makeupbooks.html

Bobbi Brown and Kevyn Aucoin's books are popular with lots of people. You might be able to beat some of these prices if you look around.

About makeup counter people.

Now Ashley is trying to give good advice but the problem with what she is saying is that often makeup counter people have absolutely no idea when it comes to makeup for photography. Their advice and experience is on street makeup and that is rarely applicable to makeup for print.

Take for example Illumnare makeup. It's sold and promoted at lots of makeup counters. It has a SPF of 15 or higher because of all the Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. It gives great sunscreen protection. It's awesome when strutting around the beach but it photographs horribly. A print qualified makeup artist will know these things, counter people rarely do.

It's along the same vein as makeup for theater, except for theater, the needs are quite different. The complete opposite end is makeup for print which is viewed at quite close up ranges and so subtly is paramount yet both must deal with extremely bright light and ultraviolet light and color, ect. They are different and have different needs. It's why counter girls often don't perform well on photo shoots unless they have lots of experience with makeup for print. Street makeup techniques don't cut it.

I agree with mostly with Theda but I bet most of her "not very good" just add water makeup persons are makeup counter "mac store" types and simply not print qualified. I have experienced first hand the difference between the two and it's like night and day between them.

May 15 05 04:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup-Hair

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Best way to learn is EXPERIMENT!!! its not about a blah blah blah cool school, its about how much imagination do you have and skill to put it to realization.
Look up makeup sites on a regular search, see others works.. look into magazines and try to copy looks...
You gotta know your face features and work with them. Dont be afraid to try something new and... heres just a few pointers of what NOT to do:
-Dont draw your lip liner way out of natural lip line.. its soo well unprofessional and vulgar looking
-Dont go overboard with gloss, it gets everywhere after a while
-Dont use contrasty lip liners, BLEND very well your lip stuff
-If you cant line your eyes perfectly with black pencil/liquid, use dry cake/shadow like black color close to the lids and blend
-Dont get a foundation thats darker than your natural skin tone, go for a lighter version if you cant decide
-Dont overdo the blush, brrrr
-Dont overpluck your brows PLEASE! They are better off as they are.. or if you do, keep the trace lean and thin
-Dont forget to use powder S P A R I N G L Y so you dont get shiny nose and forhead
-Dont get an attitude. smile
the list goes on.... but I'll stop here.
hope its helpful

May 15 05 04:29 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Here are some solutions! READ THE WHOLE MESSAGE BEFORE YOU MAKE A CONCLUSSION!

As Ashley Danielle pointed out, you should consider MAC MU counters! I am thrilled with the quality of work that I've gotten from them! They are the trained professionals at the MAC counter where I take my models before a shoot. The MAC company trains their artists more thoroughly than any other MU counters in the retail industry. These people DO know how to apply make up for photo shoots since their make up was created for and by professional photo industry people. This is NOT FREE! The counters require a purchase of $40 or more in the California stores. 

Of course I do look at the work of each MU artist because as with any occupation there are those who are better than others. I do hire a MU to be at the shoot at times too, but MAC make up is so good that it last longer than other MU brands and simple retouching can be done by the model once she learns how.

Since you live in an area where it may be difficult to get a MU artist or even make it to a MAC counter ... you should read MU tips and practice with yourself. You also need to be aware that you can be allergic to some make up. I have one model who is highly allergic to MAC make up and she has her own personal MA artist who she goes to before a shoot. Hiring a licensed MU artist is BEST for your own protection because they know so much more as professionals. However, it is understood that you may not always have a professional MU available. So it is good to learn ANYTHING and ALL you can! Read what DeLuxe Image has to say because those are good tips!

I have learned quite a bit about hair and make up just from being around the professionals since I was the official photographer for a company that showcased a few times at the California Cosmetology Convention. I respect the work of professional MU artist and miss my personal favorite MU since she moved to Las Vegas where she is going to school to further advance her career! It's costing her $6,000 but she will be certified by one of the best MU artist schools in the USA. I'm going to have to pay her a lot more in the future!

Hope that helps you!

May 15 05 05:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Dan Hood is right on.  Professional artists don't work at makeup counters (well you may find one here and there but it's rare)  Print makeup is another ball game, nothing like street makeup.

I do not expect most models here to ever be on a shoot that would hire a professional artist so knowing how to do your own is a good idea.  However, getting tips from other models or non-pros isn't going to help you.

Most women do makeup and think they do it well like most people can shoot photos and think they're great but the real pros can tell the difference.  I can tell you 90% of the time if a model did her own makeup, if an amature was hired or if a real quality artist was hired.  Most pros like Dan Hood can look at a shot and tell you as well.

Petra, I am not angry or hositle in  this thread, I am a blunt writer, it saves time. People mistake it for anger but sugar coating stuff just takes too long and sometimes the message is misunderstood so I just tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Models that will not be on the kind of jobs that will hire real artists should have the tools to look the best they can and so take lessons from a pro.  www.makeuplessons.com or www.themakeupstudio.com just ask for people in your area to contact you.  Expect to pay, you do get what you pay for.

May 15 05 10:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

I have to agree with Dan Hood also.

Most folks at the MAC counter (or any other counter) have NO IDEA how to do makeup for print.  They usually have no idea how to do makeup for street wear either. 

Correction to what Patrick wrote:  MAC was originally an artist's line.  It was bought out a few years ago by Estee Lauder and the support for artists, along with their products have gone downhill since.  Many products (like eyeshadows, lips, etc) are fine for print work, but most of their foundations and powders are not.  Also, here in San Jose and around the country, the cost for MAC to do your makeup at the counter is $60.  To get them to show up on a job starts at $150, plus there are per hour fees on top.  And there's no guarantee at all you'll get anyone even a little bit qualified for the shoot.

There are a few pros that work the counter.  Usually, these will be folks just passing through, or are freelancers, who are newbies in the print world gaining experience and speed, while building a kit.  They get free makeup or a better discount than pros get (we get 40%).

There are a few really good artists at MAC, but they are leftovers from a bygone era.  They just don't hire or train based on skill... not anymore.  A quick run to the average MAC counter will prove that.  The colors the "artists" chose for themselves and the "client" is wrong, and applied way too heavy.  And you will be fighting an uphill battle in photoshop to make the images bookworthy, and especially magazine worthy.

I went to my local free-standing store, and I swear I wouldn't hire anyone that worked there that day to clean my brushes.  All of them looked that bad.  The "artists" there are trained to sell, not to be artists.  Welcome to the corporate machine named Estee Lauder.

And to the original poster, of course you want specifics.  Basic techniques are of little help to you unless you are planning on being the makeup artist not only to yourself but any other model on your shoot.  How does it benefit YOU if you save your photographer some money?  Have they offered you extra $ to not make them pay for an artist?

You can read through my forum for the best products to use, and occasionally run into application techniques, but seeing and then practicing them is absolutely the best way.  Find an artist in your area that has a strong body of work, and is not stuck working primarily for MAC or another line.  Call the local model agencies (or if there are any artist agencies) and get them to recommend GOOD artists for you to learn from.  If you are serious about your career as a model, you will do this.  If you just want to play around, best of luck at the MAC counter.

May 15 05 11:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Posted by Patrick Walberg: 
I respect the work of professional MU artist and miss my personal favorite MU since she moved to Las Vegas where she is going to school to further advance her career! It's costing her $6,000 but she will be certified by one of the best MU artist schools in the USA.

I've heard of most makeup schools in North America, but I know of none in Las Vegas.  What's the name of it?  Do they have a site on the web?

Most makeup schools don't even cost that much, unless she's going for the full meal deal - beauty, character, and/or SFX.  There are several decent to really good schools in L.A.  It's seems she would have been better off there.

May 15 05 12:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

MAC make up is so good that it last longer than other MU brands and simple retouching can be done by the model once she learns how.

DISCLAIMER:  excuse my blunt style of writing.  This is just the way I write, it doesn't mean I am angry so please don't interpret that way, there is a smile on my face...OK?

MAC has a few good products but the foundation isn't the best for print and the longest lasting foundations are not MAC.  Some professional artists use MAC foundation but the majority do not.

Hiring a licensed MU artist is BEST for your own protection because they know so much more as professionals

Not sure what you mean by a licensed makeup artist, you may find a makeup artist with a certificate from a school but that means nothing in the industry except that you spent money for training (from someone stuck in a school and probably not working in the industry) I have never in over 20 years had a potential client ask about my training....nobody has ever asked for a license or certificate.  Clinets want to see your book, thats it.

You may have meant a cosmetology license because there are a few artists that also have cosmetology licenses, this makes it legal for them to practice in a salon but the cosmetology license is not about makeup, it's about hair. Each state has it's own rules when it comes to makeup artists and cosmetologists but as far as I know there isn't a state that has a specific Makeup Artistry License.

The field of makeup artistry is very much like the field of photography.  You have the GWC and the guy shooting for Vogue, they have nothing in common except that they both call themselves photographers.  In the Makeup field you have the GWM (Girl with makeup) shooting free and playing around and you have the pro that makes a living working with major clients....A really good GWC can become a top shooter with ZERO formal training, it's an art and it takes an eye, makeup is the same, most of the top artists never had formal training.  Artists and photogrpahers are hired on their past work and portfolios not on their training.

May 15 05 12:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

To the original poster.....

I lived in EWA Beach HI for 3 years, there are no shortages of artists in HI. Call the professional photographers there, they can direct you to the pros.   

May 15 05 12:45 pm Link

Model

Vickie

Pompano Beach, Florida, US

Yep, just best to hire a good MUA.  As a Model, it's definitely cool to know some Makeup basics in case you're ever in a pinch (I've done my own more than once), but I prefer having a PRO MUA to do my makeup for me.  In fact, even if I were a pro MUA myself, I don't think I'd want to do my own makeup for a shoot.  When I'm shooting, I really just want to focus on shooting, not on doing my Makeup. 

Vickie

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Ms Keala: 

Aloha from Hawaii!

best make up advice..hire the best pro you can afford....

May 15 05 12:59 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I have to agree. I wouldn't let a MAC make-up artist near my face. They're just sales girls with slightly more knowledge of their product  than the sales girl at the next counter over.

I appreciate the tip about not using foundation that's too dark, but wait! ALL foudation is too dark for me with the exception of L'oreal's soft ivory and that's loaded with titanium dioxide. I need to find someone to custom blend. It's amazing how many people at make-up counters essentially tell you to go to hell when you ask for custom blending.

Posted by Mary: 
Print makeup is another ball game, nothing like street makeup.

Could you explain that? Other than the titanium dioxide and other sunscreans reflecting light, what is the difference?

May 15 05 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

DRowan

Port Orange, Florida, US

Here's a link to a makeup guide given to me by MM MUA #4676:
http://home.comcast.net/~ka1yps01/Makeup.htm

May 15 05 01:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Posted by theda: 
I have to agree. I wouldn't let a MAC make-up artist near my face. They're just sales girls with slightly more knowledge of their product  than the sales girl at the next counter over.

I appreciate the tip about not using foundation that's too dark, but wait! ALL foudation is too dark for me with the exception of L'oreal's soft ivory and that's loaded with titanium dioxide. I need to find someone to custom blend. It's amazing how many people at make-up counters essentially tell you to go to hell when you ask for custom blending.

Posted by Mary: 

Could you explain that? Other than the titanium dioxide and other sunscreans reflecting light, what is the difference?

It's not easy to describe because there are many variables. A pro knows how to apply the makeup for a ring light and how to apply for natural outdoor lighting, most models wouldnt know the difference. A pro knows that digital and film application is different, not many model understand that.  Most begginer artists don't get it either.

REMEMBER....You usually get what you pay for, a pro will charge you.  You can get free advice and you can even get a beginner to do your makeup free.  (TFP)  it can't compare to hiring a pro.

May 15 05 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by EmElle: 
I have to agree with Dan Hood also.

Most folks at the MAC counter (or any other counter) have NO IDEA how to do makeup for print.  They usually have no idea how to do makeup for street wear either. 

Correction to what Patrick wrote:  MAC was originally an artist's line.  It was bought out a few years ago by Estee Lauder and the support for artists, along with their products have gone downhill since.  Many products (like eyeshadows, lips, etc) are fine for print work, but most of their foundations and powders are not.  Also, here in San Jose and around the country, the cost for MAC to do your makeup at the counter is $60.  To get them to show up on a job starts at $150, plus there are per hour fees on top.  And there's no guarantee at all you'll get anyone even a little bit qualified for the shoot.

There are a few pros that work the counter.  Usually, these will be folks just passing through, or are freelancers, who are newbies in the print world gaining experience and speed, while building a kit.  They get free makeup or a better discount than pros get (we get 40%).

There are a few really good artists at MAC, but they are leftovers from a bygone era.  They just don't hire or train based on skill... not anymore.  A quick run to the average MAC counter will prove that.  The colors the "artists" chose for themselves and the "client" is wrong, and applied way too heavy.  And you will be fighting an uphill battle in photoshop to make the images bookworthy, and especially magazine worthy.

I went to my local free-standing store, and I swear I wouldn't hire anyone that worked there that day to clean my brushes.  All of them looked that bad.  The "artists" there are trained to sell, not to be artists.  Welcome to the corporate machine named Estee Lauder.

And to the original poster, of course you want specifics.  Basic techniques are of little help to you unless you are planning on being the makeup artist not only to yourself but any other model on your shoot.  How does it benefit YOU if you save your photographer some money?  Have they offered you extra $ to not make them pay for an artist?

You can read through my forum for the best products to use, and occasionally run into application techniques, but seeing and then practicing them is absolutely the best way.  Find an artist in your area that has a strong body of work, and is not stuck working primarily for MAC or another line.  Call the local model agencies (or if there are any artist agencies) and get them to recommend GOOD artists for you to learn from.  If you are serious about your career as a model, you will do this.  If you just want to play around, best of luck at the MAC counter.

The majority of my most recent images have been with a MAC MU Artist. It is a false assumption to think that they are not able to do "print" when many of them have been doing so previous to working the counter.

You only need to buy $40 worth of product at the MAC counter, and yes, the manager of the MAC counter I go to does location work and charges more. It is outside of MAC, so they keep 100% of the fees they charge.

I said MAC was started by "industry" people, right? Well, if EL bought them out, then that is news to me! The MAC make up line should not being going downhill if they have not changed the components of the make up then.

It's true that some of the counter personnel are not qualified to do "print" make up, but many are! It's also possible for models to learn how to apply their own MU as well as a professional since some of the models I've shot with in the past were also MU Artists too!

May 15 05 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by EmElle: 

I respect the work of professional MU artist and miss my personal favorite MU since she moved to Las Vegas where she is going to school to further advance her career! It's costing her $6,000 but she will be certified by one of the best MU artist schools in the USA.

I've heard of most makeup schools in North America, but I know of none in Las Vegas.  What's the name of it?  Do they have a site on the web?

Most makeup schools don't even cost that much, unless she's going for the full meal deal - beauty, character, and/or SFX.  There are several decent to really good schools in L.A.  It's seems she would have been better off there.

She is going to an Academy of some kind. I forgot the name, but I will find out for you.

May 15 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Mary: 

MAC make up is so good that it last longer than other MU brands and simple retouching can be done by the model once she learns how.

DISCLAIMER:  excuse my blunt style of writing.  This is just the way I write, it doesn't mean I am angry so please don't interpret that way, there is a smile on my face...OK?

MAC has a few good products but the foundation isn't the best for print and the longest lasting foundations are not MAC.  Some professional artists use MAC foundation but the majority do not.

Hiring a licensed MU artist is BEST for your own protection because they know so much more as professionals

Not sure what you mean by a licensed makeup artist, you may find a makeup artist with a certificate from a school but that means nothing in the industry except that you spent money for training (from someone stuck in a school and probably not working in the industry) I have never in over 20 years had a potential client ask about my training....nobody has ever asked for a license or certificate.  Clinets want to see your book, thats it.

You may have meant a cosmetology license because there are a few artists that also have cosmetology licenses, this makes it legal for them to practice in a salon but the cosmetology license is not about makeup, it's about hair. Each state has it's own rules when it comes to makeup artists and cosmetologists but as far as I know there isn't a state that has a specific Makeup Artistry License.

The field of makeup artistry is very much like the field of photography.  You have the GWC and the guy shooting for Vogue, they have nothing in common except that they both call themselves photographers.  In the Makeup field you have the GWM (Girl with makeup) shooting free and playing around and you have the pro that makes a living working with major clients....A really good GWC can become a top shooter with ZERO formal training, it's an art and it takes an eye, makeup is the same, most of the top artists never had formal training.  Artists and photogrpahers are hired on their past work and portfolios not on their training.

I understand that you are not angry, and I am not either. This is not "an all or nothing" science since it IS an ART like photography. We both can be "right!"

I agree that pro MU Artists who are affiliated with a counter or company are more likely to use many other brands of MU depending on the look they want, but also depending on the models skin. I appreciate professional models who know their own skin and that certain brands of MU will cause them to have an allergic reaction.

Depending on which school you go to, you should learn something about dermatology and the reaction skin has to MU when applied. When NOT shooting, leaving skin natural with NO MU is BEST for skin to stay in it's prime condition. MU can do some nasty things beside clogging pores when it's left on too long.

I do mean a Cosmetology license because many schools do have a MU division. But I will research this more. When I was shooting the California Cosmetology Conventions, it seemed that there were many trained MU Artists there! About one third of the products were MU!

The best MU Artist I've had in the 25+ years of shooting is not licensed either. She is the one who moved to Las Vegas to go to the school of her choice, an Academy of Arts of some kind that is one of the best in the USA and trains many of the employees who are working on the Hollywood sets and Las Vegas shows.

May 15 05 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Posted by Mary: 

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Mary: 

It's not easy to describe because there are many variables. A pro knows how to apply the makeup for a ring light and how to apply for natural outdoor lighting, most models wouldnt know the difference. A pro knows that digital and film application is different, not many model understand that.  Most begginer artists don't get it either.

REMEMBER....You usually get what you pay for, a pro will charge you.  You can get free advice and you can even get a beginner to do your makeup free.  (TFP)  it can't compare to hiring a pro.

I am not a professional MU Artist, yet I can tell the differences ... and many times I do make requests to the MU Artists. Also much of my work I've done "TPF" is on par with anything I've been paid to do!

May 15 05 03:20 pm Link