Forums > General Industry > Everybody else hates us, why do we hate each other

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Went to a concert tonight, brought my camera, didn't use a flash, didn't get in anyones way, got to overhear a couple to my left while I was at the bar taking pictures of the whiskey bottles that there are 'too many stupid photographers here taking too many stupid pictures'. Then, dyanov and I were by the stage...watching Ron Sexsmith, small venue, folk singer, not exactly a 'rock sensation'....in fact we even left without our ears ringing. Since we had gotten there early, like 2 other photographers, we were unobtrusively shooting when this crazy whacked out bitch started questioning our creds and saying we were in the way of the fans. I responded, "uh, you are standing in FRONT of me?" at which point she screamed (much poorer etiquette than taking non flash photos? at a concert) incomprehsibly at both me and dyanov and left in a hurry, theoretically to tell on us, but apparently she got restrained by her friends.

Now here is my question....obviously the population at large hates photographers...so why do we seem to spend so much time hating each other? Hell, I come here to band together with my fellow pariahs!

Jan 17 07 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

"In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage."
  John Steinbeck

“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.”
George Bernard Shaw

Jan 17 07 01:45 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Webspinner wrote:
Went to a concert tonight, brought my camera, didn't use a flash, didn't get in anyones way, got to overhear a couple to my left while I was at the bar taking pictures of the whiskey bottles that there are 'too many stupid photographers here taking too many stupid pictures'. Then, dyanov and I were by the stage...watching Ron Sexsmith, small venue, folk singer, not exactly a 'rock sensation'....in fact we even left without our ears ringing. Since we had gotten there early, like 2 other photographers, we were unobtrusively shooting when this crazy whacked out bitch started questioning our creds and saying we were in the way of the fans. I responded, "uh, you are standing in FRONT of me?" at which point she screamed (much poorer etiquette than taking non flash photos? at a concert) incomprehsibly at both me and dyanov and left in a hurry, theoretically to tell on us, but apparently she got restrained by her friends.

Now here is my question....obviously the population at large hates photographers...so why do we seem to spend so much time hating each other? Hell, I come here to band together with my fellow pariahs!

Geez, I'm getting PAID to photograph a band in a week & a half, I hope I don't get grief like that from the crowd!

Jan 17 07 01:47 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I'll bet the crazy whacked out bitch gloms up all the supermarket tabloids with pictures of her fave celebrities.  And I'll bet she's got wedding pictures, graduation pictures, etc., etc. in her house.  She wants to see the pictures;  she just doesn't want anybody to take them.

Jan 17 07 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Make prior contact with the venue or the performer and see about a media pass. I find it helps me.

Best wishes,
Craig

Jan 17 07 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Matrix Photography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

stop whining

Jan 17 07 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Lorin A Edmonds

Eugene, Oregon, US

We did Native Dance pictures for the tribal newsletter.

It got so bad they made up t-shirts with official photographer on them.

We were accused of taking pictures of children with out permission. (the group had all the children's parents sign a model release before they could dance)

PS it was always people with no connection with the tribe or the event.

Jan 17 07 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Matrix Photography wrote:
stop whining

lol. love you too

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Make prior contact with the venue or the performer and see about a media pass. I find it helps me.

Best wishes,
Craig

Good advice to go thru the proper chanels. Also, a good swift kick in the ass next time she get's in your way might do the job.

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Oh, it was a small event, and we DID get permission from the bar. It was too small a venue to warrent a press pass.

Jan 17 07 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Webspinner wrote:
obviously the population at large hates photographers

don't think it's fair to generalize like that; think about how in demand photographers are for, say, a wedding or other special event ...

just luck of the draw that night; hope you can shake it off & go on ...

~ F

Jan 17 07 02:15 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

GET THE NEW 44 MAGNUM 5D, A WINNER FOR JUST THIS KIND OF SHOOT.

Jan 17 07 02:16 am Link

Model

Mia Mali

Los Angeles, California, US

Here in Wilmington, we love photographers, especially the ones that post to party websites.  I guess everyone loves to see themselves and pretend they're famous here.

Jan 17 07 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Don't you get it! I LIVE to make generalizations. Without generalizations how could I perform my duties! I want to feel hated and isolated. I just wanted to use it as an excuse to band together with other mm people! People are too damn serious. Now come here and lets have a group hug! No? See, photographers do hate each other!

Jan 17 07 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

DMP Studios wrote:

YES! Now this is a good comradely suggestion. Thank you.

Jan 17 07 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Webspinner wrote:
just wanted to use it as an excuse to band together with other mm people! People are too damn serious. Now come here and lets have a group hug! No? See, photographers do hate each other!

for some of us it really is business. just business. no emotions, no hatred, no special hugs. just business. sorry. wish you well though in your endeavors. g'luck.

~ F

Jan 17 07 02:21 am Link

Photographer

dyanov

Chicago, Illinois, US

DMP Studios wrote:

HAPPINESS IS A WARM CAMERA

BANG! BANG!

SHOOT! SHOOT!

Jan 17 07 02:25 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Best wishes,
Craig

Heh, when I was 17 I packed all my equipment in 3 bags, padded to look like there was more in them, and showed up at a concert right behind the guy who was shooting for the local paper
Right after he cleared security, I walk up & say I"m Mr SoAndSo's assistant, I have the rest of his equipment here" and they actually bought it & let me in.  Saw the show free AND got great pics.

Jan 17 07 02:30 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

ED Edmonds wrote:
We did Native Dance pictures for the tribal newsletter.

It got so bad they made up t-shirts with official photographer on them.

We were accused of taking pictures of children with out permission. (the group had all the children's parents sign a model release before they could dance)

PS it was always people with no connection with the tribe or the event.

In the UK.... a TV documentary film crew out with the police filming traffic stops and general mayhem in public places...

CASE-1 Adults

Irate bad guy: What's with the f**king video camera?
Cop: Never mind them, pay attention to what I am saying to you.
Irate bad guy: I don't want them f**king filming me
Cop: I can't stop them.... and you can't either
Irate bad guy: Tell them to shut off the f**king camera or I'll do it for them.
Cop: I can't tell them to stop.
Irate bad guy: [lurches towards cameraman] Hey stop filming me you c**t.
Cop: Watch your language. You can't stop them from filming. If you interfere with them I'll place you under arrest for breach of the peace........

-----

CASE-2 Underage

15 y/o offender drunk in public with two older friends - no problem with the kids and the film crew but when the 15 y/o's  mother shows up to collect her wayward spawn

Irate Mom: Why are they filming? Tell them to stop.
Cop: I can't tell them to stop. This is a public place and they can film if they want.
Irate Mom: It isn't right... he's only 15... he's underage!
Cop: They can film if they want to. I can't stop them.
Irate Mom: But it isn't right... they shouldn't be filming my son... he's only 15.
Cop: I already told you they can film if they want. This is a public place. I can't stop them.
Irate Mom: [Putting wayward spawn in her car] But it isn't right... he's only 15... he's underage... it's just not right... splutter, splutter, splutter......

--------

So not everybody hates us.

Studio36

Jan 17 07 06:46 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Frank M. Lopez wrote:

for some of us it really is business. just business. no emotions, no hatred, no special hugs. just business. sorry. wish you well though in your endeavors. g'luck.

~ F

Oh man, I hope it never becomes just a business for me.  I want to be passionate about this and be emotionally gratified.  I want to put stuff up admired for decades, generations.  I didnt get that benefit as an engineer.  My shit was summarily headed for the dump within a year of its creation.  Talk about futility.

Admittedly there are odd moments -- bad shoots, difficult models, adverse situations, hostile authorities (LOL) -- but when I get home and see some fabulous creation... damn.  Its like spotting a new galaxy or comet in the sky.  Its the point of discovery -- something new and different -- except its better than discovery -- its creation.  You knew what you wanted and you created it.  Enormous satisfaction out of that.

I have a lot of envy on some of you clowns too.  Some of your images are inspiring, thankfully no longer depressing as they seemed hopelessly out of reach.  Now, inspiring... of envy, of competitive rivalry, of plain appreciation, a swirl of emotions.

Its not just business for me.  Its much more.

Jan 17 07 07:34 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:
Oh man, I hope it never becomes just a business for me.  I want to be passionate about this and be emotionally gratified.  I want to put stuff up admired for decades, generations.  I didnt get that benefit as an engineer.  My shit was summarily headed for the dump within a year of its creation.  Talk about futility.

Admittedly there are odd moments -- bad shoots, difficult models, adverse situations, hostile authorities (LOL) -- but when I get home and see some fabulous creation... damn.  Its like spotting a new galaxy or comet in the sky.  Its the point of discovery -- something new and different -- except its better than discovery -- its creation.  You knew what you wanted and you created it.  Enormous satisfaction out of that.

I have a lot of envy on some of you clowns too.  Some of your images are inspiring, thankfully no longer depressing as they seemed hopelessly out of reach.  Now, inspiring... of envy, of competitive rivalry, of plain appreciation, a swirl of emotions.

Its not just business for me.  Its much more.

big_smile

Jan 17 07 07:59 am Link

Photographer

lawsonpix

Havre de Grace, Maryland, US

Webspinner wrote:
Don't you get it! I LIVE to make generalizations. Without generalizations how could I perform my duties! I want to feel hated and isolated. I just wanted to use it as an excuse to band together with other mm people! People are too damn serious. Now come here and lets have a group hug! No? See, photographers do hate each other!

Group hug... i love u man :-)

Jan 17 07 09:27 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I might have slapped a bitch. That's just me big_smile

Jan 17 07 09:29 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.”
George Bernard Shaw

I'm likin' Star's post ALOT; she nailed it - to the wall.

Jan 17 07 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Webspinner wrote:

Don't sweat it. She was buzzing & was pissed you weren't taking pictures of her. smile

Jan 17 07 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Lee Gillies

London, England, United Kingdom

In the UK.... a TV documentary film crew out with the police filming traffic stops and general mayhem in public places...

CASE-1 Adults

Irate bad guy: What's with the f**king video camera?
Cop: Never mind them, pay attention to what I am saying to you.
Irate bad guy: I don't want them f**king filming me
Cop: I can't stop them.... and you can't either
Irate bad guy: Tell them to shut off the f**king camera or I'll do it for them.
Cop: I can't tell them to stop.
Irate bad guy: [lurches towards cameraman] Hey stop filming me you c**t.
Cop: Watch your language. You can't stop them from filming. If you interfere with them I'll place you under arrest for breach of the peace........

-----

CASE-2 Underage

15 y/o offender drunk in public with two older friends - no problem with the kids and the film crew but when the 15 y/o's  mother shows up to collect her wayward spawn

Irate Mom: Why are they filming? Tell them to stop.
Cop: I can't tell them to stop. This is a public place and they can film if they want.
Irate Mom: It isn't right... he's only 15... he's underage!
Cop: They can film if they want to. I can't stop them.
Irate Mom: But it isn't right... they shouldn't be filming my son... he's only 15.
Cop: I already told you they can film if they want. This is a public place. I can't stop them.
Irate Mom: [Putting wayward spawn in her car] But it isn't right... he's only 15... he's underage... it's just not right... splutter, splutter, splutter......

--------

So not everybody hates us.

Studio36

wow a positive story about the police in relation to cameras in the UK, thats a first! I should print that out, copy it and paste it all over Trafalgar Square.

not that I'm bitter or anything wink

Jan 17 07 09:34 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

This is interesting to me...
I have been a member of my local BDSM community now for close to 5 years, though I'm not as active as I used to be simply due to time. I have seen lots of politics, sniping, griping, bitching, moaning, fighting, rivalries, hatred, people with chips on their shoulder, and any other kind of attitude that you can imagine.  The trouble is that the BDSM community has a much more perilous existence within the greater world than photographers do. At least taking pictures in general is legal in all 50 states. And people really do hate the BDSM community. Not everyone, but the ones that scream the loudest and are offended the most are the ones that get heard.

So where the heck am I going with this? Within a community, people will be people. Period. Thats just the way people are. There are flakes, people that make promises that they don't keep, people with pompus stuck up attitudes, people that work very hard for the community, people that bitch about everything within the community, people that get all upset when something doesn't go the way they believe it should and storm out of the community, people that open their mouths without enough knowledge of the situation to be giving an opinion. Its just the way that people are. I think that applies to every gathering of people everywhere.

Jan 17 07 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Webspinner wrote:

She obviously had some personal axe to grind, don't sweat it...
You are allowed to bring in and use cameras in bars, restaurants, etc. unless there is a specific posting where photography is banned in the place.
Heck, I've won over a few club owners with just offering a few prints of the event they can post on the wall...

Rich

Jan 17 07 09:44 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Webspinner wrote:
...watching Ron Sexsmith, small venue, folk singer, not exactly a 'rock sensation'....in fact we even left without our ears ringing. Since we had gotten there early, like 2 other photographers, we were unobtrusively shooting when this crazy whacked out bitch started questioning our creds

...Now here is my question....obviously the population at large hates photographers...so why do we seem to spend so much time hating each other? Hell, I come here to band together with my fellow pariahs!

Folk singer fans are a wild & vicious bunch… stay away from them but if confronted... never make eye contact. No, wait ... ALWAYS make eye contact... NEVER make eye contact with the alpha male of a wolf pack, yeah, that's it.

Jan 17 07 09:48 am Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

*hug

Jan 17 07 09:55 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I think she meant you were in the way of the fan (singular). She was obsessed over a folk singer so I can only surmise that she had too many high colonics and wheat grass smoothies that day.

Jan 17 07 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

My experience of shooting in small venues is that more often than not, some guy wants to come and talk about my equipment.  No one has ever given me grief for being in their way.

Maybe New Yorkers are just kinder, gentler people. tongue

Jan 17 07 10:27 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

“Woe to the nonconformist who does not conform to the nonconformist clique”
anon

Jan 17 07 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Webspinner wrote:

what would you know?  you're just a girl.

big_smile

Jan 17 07 11:01 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

hmm, i go to A LOT of concerts, and there are always photographers there. the only thing we bug them about is getting their images uploaded quicker so we can see them.

-shrugs-

Jan 17 07 11:10 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

leegillies photography wrote:
wow a positive story about the police in relation to cameras in the UK, thats a first! I should print that out, copy it and paste it all over Trafalgar Square.

not that I'm bitter or anything wink

I've never had a problem with Brit cops. Of course I usually work with the provincial forces and not the Met. But then again, as I carry a regular NUJ issued press ID, I've never had a problem in London either, on the rare occasion that I go there.

Studio36

Jan 17 07 12:12 pm Link

Model

Lexi Williams

Covington, Washington, US

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

YOU'VE HELPED ME IN SO MANY WAYS !

MUAH !

Jan 17 07 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

CW Sr

Columbus, Ohio, US

Webspinner wrote:

I hear ya, I get to come here and people [most] appreciate the work I do. And no one questions the idea of shooting nude models as art. It's a constant battle with my wife about in her eyes wanting to get a girl naked and takes pictures of their pussy " " Which to me makes me irate, as if I'm a porn photographer or something.
I can come here and even discuss others' fine art work and not once am I questioned about appreciating the art... I love our community smile

Jan 17 07 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Gillies

London, England, United Kingdom

studio36uk wrote:

I've never had a problem with Brit cops. Of course I usually work with the provincial forces and not the Met. But then again, as I carry a regular NUJ issued press ID, I've never had a problem in London either, on the rare occasion that I go there.

Studio36

Male + DSLR + Trafalgar Square + Ken Livingstone = Stop and Search + Ignorant, fuckwit, misinformed undercover cops!

like I said, not that I'm bitter or anything smile

Jan 17 07 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Maybe wrestling fans are nicer than music fans too, my ex-partner & I went to a few wrestling events with our full rigs & people flocked over to ask for our cards so they could e-mail us for images LOL.  Some of the shots we got were far superior to the "official" photos.

Jan 17 07 01:02 pm Link