Forums > General Industry > Photographer wants me to model nude...

Model

Adrienne J

MARYLAND, New York, US

Hi MM!

Okay....sigh....I got an offer to do a full day shoot with an AMAZING photographer in my area. However, he suggested that along with a few unique and creative themes, I should do some partial nudity to help my portfolio. However as stated in my bio, I DO NOT do nudity. For one, I am a new model, and two I am pre-med and it may come back to haunt me later...He says I may not make it very far, except for some local stuff unless I do some nudity...What do you think models and photographers?? HELP ASAP..thanks!

Jan 11 07 05:10 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hi MM!

Okay....sigh....I got an offer to do a full day shoot with an AMAZING photographer in my area. However, he suggested that along with a few unique and creative themes, I should do some partial nudity to help my portfolio. However as stated in my bio, I DO NOT do nudity. For one, I am a new model, and two I am pre-med and it may come back to haunt me later...He says I may not make it very far, except for some local stuff unless I do some nudity...What do you think models and photographers?? HELP ASAP..thanks!

You dont' do nude.period.

Tell him he should be ashamed of trying to get you nekkid with such a cliche as : "YOu wouldn't make it very far".

Jan 11 07 05:13 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

If you are doubting it at all, why ask if you should do it?

If you're common sense is telling you not to do it... go with that.

Jan 11 07 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

The choice is yours girl
do what you feel is right
If the photographer can't take no for answer
he is not good enough for you

Jan 11 07 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

Just say no.  Politely.

Jan 11 07 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

5'6" tall and living in Hampton, VA?  Very little in the way of mainstream opportunities for you.  So he may be right - there is nowhere much to go, let alone "far".  But you are also right.  You have plans that doing Internet nudes would likely interfere with.  Keep those firmly in mind, and do what you need to do to get that MD.  It's much more important than being a model.

Photographer

Cuckoo Bird

San Diego, California, US

You can do just fine as a model without ever going nude.  Besides, if he has to coax you into it with fearmongering, you're not likely to be very relaxed while you're doing it, and that usually translates to the print.

I guess it depends on what you want... if you're open to the idea with the right photographer, talk it through with him, preferably in person.  If you want to diversify your portfolio and show you're willing to do it, go ahead.  However, if you don't ever want to do nude, it seems kind of silly to put it in your portfolio, since then you're showing that you *will* do it.

If you want to pursue a medical career, and modeling is just something you'd like to do on the side, then keep your clothes on.  There's certainly nothing wrong with that.  In my opinion, the choice is yours.  You clearly don't want to do it.  If you need to be "talked into it," then don't do it.  Sometime, it might feel right.  You might find yourself in a situation where you're willing to do nudity.  Until that time, don't.

Photographer

Scott Streeter

Le Claire, Iowa, US

You are a beautiful young lady and smart ( per med ). you do want you fill is right and not what some photog thinks you should do.

Model

Eleonora D

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PLAIN and SIMPLE:

I wouldn't do ANYTHING that compromises my morals.

Not to defend or disrepect the photog, but he is both right and wrong.  In today's SOCIETY, sex/nudity sells; however, it is NOT the only way to make it.  I know plenty of models who have had successful careers and maintained their integrity.

Don't get suckered in, unless it's REALLY what you want.  If you have ANY doubts, (and I agree that it could come back to haunt you), don't do it.

Best of luck!

Eleonora.

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hi MM!

Your profile plainly states "no nudes", and none of your portfolio images suggest work of that type.

I say the photographer is out of line, perhaps an AMAZING GWC!

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

stick to your guns,,, if you don't want to do nudes, then don't,
you WILL get other work.

maybe you just shouldn't work with the guy.

stick to your guns, take the high road

that's my 2 cent for what it's worth

Jan 11 07 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Adrienne J wrote:
...He says I may not make it very far, except for some local stuff unless I do some nudity...

He's full of crap.

The guy is using the little bit of naivety that you have in order to pressure you into doing something you don't want to do.

Sounds more like a GWC than a photographer.

Jan 11 07 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Gallegos

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

The choice is yours if you don't want to shoot nudes don't... I wouldn't worry about "making it" anyway if your going to be a Doctor.

Jan 11 07 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If you don't wanna do it, then don't.  Life is full of people trying to talk you into doing things you don't want to do.  Buy a more expensive car, buy more insurance, donate time/money/stuff, have more kids, do more work for less money, eat more, exercise more, and yes, even "show us your boobies".

Just say "Thanks, but no."  Be firm but not rude unless they press the issue.  Then you may get your bitch on as much as you want.

Jan 11 07 05:21 pm Link

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

Here is my suggestion, tell him you will maybe do implied nude (just show the back or a sheet or some object covering your naked regions, if you will). As a model showing some skin will always be expected, but you need not get totally naked for a photogropher regardless of what he or she says. A lot of photogs complain about models not doing nudity but a lot of those photogs can't make it classy. Before you do the shoot ask him to send you pics showing examples of what he expects and set some ground rules and don't stray from them. Just remember skin is okay and usually expected(i.e. bathing suit, lingiere etc..) But nudity is not. Do what you feel comfortable because the pics won't look good if you aren't anyways. ~Flip

Jan 11 07 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Photography

Riverside, California, US

Don't do something you don't want to do. A photographer should never force anyone to do something they don't want to do. Even if it's good money for you, you have full control of the situation.

Jan 11 07 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hi MM!

Aww, hell, just take it off. Who cares, you look good. If he takes good pictures, go for it.

Jan 11 07 05:22 pm Link

Model

Flip Ashley

Dallas, Texas, US

Dan Gallegos wrote:
The choice is yours if you don't want to shoot nudes don't... I wouldn't worry about "making it" anyway if your going to be a Doctor.

Also a valid point. lol.

Jan 11 07 05:24 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Can you ask him where is "FAR", where you would make if you shoot nude with him?

Photographer

Whetzel Photos

Longwood, Florida, US

If you are not comfortable doing nude you should not do it. The photographer should respect that.

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Okay....sigh....I got an offer to do a full day shoot with an AMAZING photographer in my area .............. He says I may not make it very far, except for some local stuff unless I do some nudity...

How “amazing” can this photographer really be if he is dictating your modeling career by showing your tits....?.... hmm

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

... the next line is usually "OK now, spread your legs just a little bit more.  Don't worry, nothing will show in the picture".

Jan 11 07 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

TXPhotog wrote:
5'6" tall and living in Hampton, VA?  Very little in the way of mainstream opportunities for you.  So he may be right - there is nowhere much to go, let alone "far".  But you are also right.  You have plans that doing Internet nudes would likely interfere with.  Keep those firmly in mind, and do what you need to do to get that MD.  It's much more important than being a model.

*points up*

There's your answer.

Jan 11 07 05:26 pm Link

Model

trish

Los Angeles, California, US

you're pre-med... don't worry bout "making it" as a model.  doctors make better money anyhow wink

Jan 11 07 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hi MM!

Pre-Med..that's great..... whho else could appreciate a body more than a doctor..
But I understand what you are saying and don't believe this guy!!  You do what you are comfortable with!!!  PERIOD!!!   

Not doing nudes will not hold you back and they will not accelerate your modeling path either...it really depends on what type of modeling you want to do.  It is easier for you to get paid to do nudes on MM with some of the photogs.  Move in the direction of your dominant thought!  If you first thought was 'no'  then go with that!

-troy

Jan 11 07 05:27 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
... the next line is usually "OK now, spread your legs just a little bit more.  Don't worry, nothing will show in the picture".

OR

After all this work I did for you, you should be able to do soemthing for me because it is a collaboration....

Jan 11 07 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Vinny Cag

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Well first of all I think you made an overstatement here!!  All AMAZING photographers start out with class.  This photographer obviously does not have any, otherwise he would not be badgering you into doing nude shoots.

Your work stands firm on its own without doing nudes, and no offense but this world needs more doctors then models.  So move on to the next photographer, there are plenty of us that will shoot you in the fashion that you like.

Jan 11 07 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

Let me play devils advocate here. Some of the most beautiful nude photographs I have ever seen were those that did not show the models face or show it in away that she could be identified.

If your sole reason for not doing nudes is because you do not want to be recognized, thus making it possible for them to come back to haunt you, then perhaps you and he could discuss shots not showing your face or showing it in such a way that you could be identified. If he used the photographs you could also place in the release that he not use your real name along with the images.

Jan 11 07 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

41itis

Jan 11 07 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Meech Creative LLC

Frederick, Maryland, US

LOL @ the female replies in this thread being on the same side of the issue (which I personally agree with)...and all the male photog replies are split 3 ways. Sometimes even within the same post. Too funny.

Jan 11 07 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Vinny Cag wrote:
Well first of all I think you made an overstatement here!!  All AMAZING photographers start out with class.  This photographer obviously does not have any, otherwise he would not be badgering you into doing nude shoots.

A mere suggestion that she do, or asking that she do nudes does not really constitute badgering, come on now smile

Jan 11 07 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Art Film Cameras

Poland, Maine, US

If you don't do nudity, don't do nudity.  If you're pre-med, you're obviously not looking for a lifetime of modeling anyway, so why do anything you don't want to?  Tell him no and tell him subtlety is far sexier than blatancy.  He's just trying to see you naked.

Jan 11 07 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

You say no. No Nudes. No matter how good this person is, if you are unsure or uncomfortable about it, say no. If he has a problem with it there are SO many other photographers out there.

I most enjoyed the part where you say that he says you might not go very far with modeling. Screw that. Get a diploma, get the med job and then do whatever the hell you want. I may be way off here, he may really be wanting to help your career - or he may really want to see you nude.

Jan 11 07 05:34 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

BTW
Just thought of it.

IF the photographer refuses to shoot you w/o doing nudes and he is the who contacted you - it is a sign that he isn't a good photographer.

Because good photographers don't need to "trick" models into that.  They have models asking them to shoot nudes.

Obviously he is not in demand.

Jan 11 07 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I photograph nudes all the time, and I never want to work with a model who is less than enthusiastic about posing nude for me.

Sounds to me that if you are pre-med, you have something other than a modeling career in mind.  So, why do you care about the opinion of one photographer who wants you to do something that makes you uncomfortable?

Jan 11 07 05:37 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Does he has a banner on his page:

"ENSURE YOU LIFE SUCCESS WITH YOUR TITS"

or

"MAKE IT FAR WITH YOUR NEKKID ASS"
?

Jan 11 07 05:38 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

For every 1 photographer who's a horse's ass, 10-12 aren't and would shoot you respectfully ... get that line he spewed at you about not making it very far out of your pretty little head, turn your back on him and walk off.  Let him use that on the girls with nothing in their ports but webcam shots.

N.

Jan 11 07 05:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

geez, you're pre med and you have to ask about this kind of thing?  oi vey, makes me worry...

seriously...tell him to F off and find another photog to shoot you with clothes ON...no biggie.  this sort of topic is SO OLD...seriously.  Get some thick skin and use it.

Jan 11 07 05:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

geez, you're pre med and you have to ask about this kind of thing?  oi vey, makes me worry...

seriously...tell him to F off and find another photog to shoot you with clothes ON...no biggie.  this sort of topic is SO OLD...seriously.  Get some thick skin and use it.

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

OOPS, TRIPLE POST!  DAMN MM ...SO SLOW...ack