Forums > General Industry > next up "bacon"

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Lamonica wrote:
MM is childsplay when compared to an actual agency.

yeah..i kinda know how the industry is.....

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jan 11 07 04:39 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

now thats funny....

And I don't even try to be.... I'm just that awesome!

Jan 11 07 04:41 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Honestly, babying and coddling the newbies is the worst possible thing  you can do.

It's the reason why we have all these delusional 5 foot nothing models swearing they are going to be ANTM/the next big VS model.

Brutal honest is always the best medicine. big_smile

Jan 11 07 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

00siris wrote:

am I the only one who doesn't know what this term means?

yes. you are.  Please help the rest of us out and do tell.

Jan 11 07 05:26 pm Link

Model

MarkusRichmondModel

Los Angeles, California, US

Ew. I hate bacon.

Jan 11 07 08:20 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Lamonica wrote:
It's the reason why we have all these delusional 5 foot nothing llamas swearing they are going to be ANTM/the next big VS llama.

This is why I feel the way I do.

If I walked in, with just some pictures with my friends, at my height and weight and asked " What kind of llama should I be?" I would get told that I wasn't llama material and to go cry to mommy.

Newbies that ask these questions, are generally stupid.
If you can't tell, that you don't look like the llamas you see on the runway, or in VOGUE, you need a lobotomy.
You need to use your own brain for 4.5 seconds before asking hugely broad questions, to a forum, that will likely give you an incorrect answer.

The correct answer, is often: "You are what you make yourself"

If you are determined, and not clinically brain dead, anyone can be a llama.
I made my short, chubby ass into llama, and I didn't need a forum to tell me what direction to go.

Jan 11 07 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

CAn someone tell me what bacon means?

Jan 11 07 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Nemi Bea wrote:
This is why I feel the way I do. If I walked in, with just some pictures with my friends, at my height and weight and asked " What kind of model should I be?" I would get told that I wasn't model material and to go cry to mommy. Newbies that ask these questions, are generally stupid.
If you can't tell, that you don't look like the models you see on the runway, or in VOGUE, you need a lobotomy. You need to use your own brain for 4.5 seconds before asking hugely broad questions, to a forum, that will likely give you an incorrect answer. The correct answer, is often: "You are what you make yourself"
If you are determined, and not clinically brain dead, anyone can be a model.
I made my short, chubby ass into model, and I didn't need a forum to tell me what direction to go.

in the imortal words of dirty harry, "A man's got to know his limitations." well i am glad that you do, i am glad you understand where your place is in the industry..

tell me, did you find your place without asking, what were stupid questions at the time?..careful how you answer, cuz i have been around since you stared on these online communites..as a matter of fast, i think i was the only one who would tell you why you were being treated as you were..early on...

Jan 11 07 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Jeffrey Winner wrote:
CAn someone tell me what bacon means?

well if i was one of the "losers" i was talking about, i would hammer you with the word "bacon"..because anytime some one makes a post, and these folks think is was  sufficiently covered before..they respond with the word bacon...

its stupid..cause bacon has nothing to do with items already covered...

usually a noob will ask some dumb questoin..they get the brunt of abuse...

think of it like the word "spam"..for people that post adverts in threads....except "spam" actually has some merrit..its the garbage parts that are being served up to us..

Jan 11 07 09:06 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

in the imortal words of dirty harry, "A man's got to know his limitations." well i am glad that you do, i am glad you understand where your place is in the industry..

tell me, did you find your place without asking, what were stupid questions at the time?..careful how you answer, cuz i have been around since you stared on these online communites..as a matter of fast, i think i was the only one who would tell you why you were being treated as you were..early on...

1) I did a shoot before I joined. As an actress, I did not feel right to join with snap shots.

2) I knew NOTHING about the industry. I made a post in the Newbie Forum, and started reading, learning, and yes. LURKING!

3) If I asked a question, It was within another thread, I didn't start my own threads for quite a while.

By reading the wisdom of others who were far more experienced, and of course, newmodels.com, I quickly learned the ins and outs.

I won't say I didn't make mistakes, because I made some classic newbie fopauxs, Paid work only, NO NUDES, bla bla, but instead of shouting my ignorances off rooftops, I watched, and learned. I was also given some polite guidance via PM. Which, I will often do now for a newbie, if I see it fit.

You figure out your niche by shooting, and seeing what you like, and what you are good at.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying, " How I was treated early on" because I have always been recieved warmly on these forums, even when I had two shoots under my belt, my first day here.

Why is that?  Because I'm not an idiot.
Act like an idiot, get treated like an idiot.

Jan 11 07 09:21 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Chris Macan wrote:

Nope,
But it would be kinda cool if it did,
Then I could realy be a Bacon cheerleader!
(as if I needed an extra push)

What I really like are spicy SlimJims
Mmmmm.... Can you say Mechanically Separated Chicken!
nasty but Delicious.

But back to the question at hand.
The name sounds the same as McCann

LoL...you weirdo!  (In a good way though. I'm a weirdo too smile)
Anyway, at least it rhymes with "man".  You can be a Man cheerleader!

Jan 11 07 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Nemi Bea wrote:

this girl was 15..she is a child...she was naive..

and it was on one of your first posts..you had a profile full of IC pics..and whether you knew it or not, you were being treated very cold by some of the members cause they didnt like who you decided to work with...

Jan 11 07 09:37 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Nemi Bea wrote:

1) I did a shoot before I joined. As an actress, I did not feel right to join with snap shots.

2) I knew NOTHING about the industry. I made a post in the Newbie Forum, and started reading, learning, and yes. LURKING!

3) If I asked a question, It was within another thread, I didn't start my own threads for quite a while.

By reading the wisdom of others who were far more experienced, and of course, newmodels.com, I quickly learned the ins and outs.

I won't say I didn't make mistakes, because I made some classic newbie fopauxs, Paid work only, NO NUDES, bla bla, but instead of shouting my ignorances off rooftops, I watched, and learned. I was also given some polite guidance via PM. Which, I will often do now for a newbie, if I see it fit.

You figure out your niche by shooting, and seeing what you like, and what you are good at.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying, " How I was treated early on" because I have always been recieved warmly on these forums, even when I had two shoots under my belt, my first day here.

Ditto.... I didn't make any posts in the forum until I was sure of the ins and outs of MM and the industry in general. I actually went out and had shoots, not just snapshots, before I decided to jump in here because I knew I wouldn't be taken seriously with myspaceesque photos.

Jan 11 07 09:52 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

and it was on one of your first posts..you had a profile full of IC pics..and whether you knew it or not, you were being treated very cold by some of the members cause they didnt like who you decided to work with...

It's people like you that let our teenagers get away with everything. Fifteen is not a child or even naive. She probably knew exactly what she was doing. She knew full well that with her size she wasn't going to be a supermodel, but she got all the "Oooh, you're soooo beautiful.... Ooooh, I would sooo shoot you if you were closer.... Oooh, don't let anyone bring you down, you can do whatever you put your mind to" she was looking for.

Like I said before.... I don't coddle or baby new models because I was never coddled.... and I started modeling long before 15. Also like I said before, if someone really thinks we are soooooo harsh, this is definitely not the best industry for them.

Jan 11 07 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Lamonica wrote:
MM is childsplay when compared to an actual agency.

damp

Doug Swinskey wrote:
yeah..i kinda know how the industry is.....

not damp

--face reality

Jan 11 07 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
so you would be in agreement to flamming a 15 year old, right off the site for asking in her first post, what her market might be? (hypothetical)

So...

1. I started "bacon" and others have seemed to follow along. Go figure. Call me a trend setter. Call me an agent provocateur. Call me an ass. All three would likely be accurate.

2. I didn't bacon the 15 year-old. I agree that it was likely not warranted.

3. I did, and continue to bacon long-time members who participate in the same dead-horse threads. Note the operative terms: "long-time members" and "same dead-horse threads."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Jan 11 07 09:59 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Wait...I thought no one under 16 was allowed on MM?

Jan 11 07 09:59 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Nemi Bea wrote:

Exactly why I always tell them to go to newmodels.com.

Jan 11 07 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Milli wrote:
Wait...I thought no one under 16 was allowed on MM?

well you were part of the "bacon brigade"..her port says 15...

Jan 11 07 10:03 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:

So...

1. I started "bacon" and others have seemed to follow along. Go figure. Call me a trend setter. Call me an agent provocateur. Call me an ass. All three would likely be accurate.

2. I didn't bacon the 15 year-old. I agree that it was likely not warranted.

3. I did, and continue to bacon long-time members who participate in the same dead-horse threads. Note the operative terms: "long-time members" and "same dead-horse threads."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Sooo....how 'bout that TFB? wink lol.

Jan 11 07 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Lamonica wrote:

Wow... inconsiderate assholes? It speaks volumes that you can't make a post without flaming or cursing.

When you make a post about people being mean/flaming others, without flaming yourself, people might take you seriously.

Anywho.... what were we talking about... Oh yeah....

So, who's up for some yummy veggie bacon? It's a whole lot healthier for you. big_smile

Woo hoo Lamonica! Don't respond to the quality of the posts. Respond to how brilliant someone thinks they are and it'll go just fine!

Hey, where does bacon come from? Swiiiiine.... doh, nevermind. :-)

Jan 11 07 10:05 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

well you were part of the "bacon brigade"..her port says 15...

Well, thanks for telling me what I already knew, though thats not what I asked smile
You can learn a lot in a year.  Maybe if she had followed the rules by waiting until she was 16, she would have been more wise?  Who knows.
Besides, I actually gave her useful information by telling her to go to www.newmodels.com.  And THEN I asked for Canadian Bacon after that big_smile

Jan 11 07 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Serevende Photography wrote:
Woo hoo Lamonica! Don't respond to the quality of the posts. Respond to how brilliant someone thinks they are and it'll go just fine!
Hey, where does bacon come from? Swiiiiine.... doh, nevermind. :-)

aww thats cute..you're trying to be clever...

Jan 11 07 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug noticed me *again*!!!

(Serevende bats eyes as his toes curls up. He knows now that Doug has a crush on him!)

Motorcycles go VRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Oh, sorry, was I supposed to take you seriously Senior Bacon???

Jan 11 07 10:12 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Milli wrote:

Well, thanks for telling me what I already knew, though thats not what I asked smile
You can learn a lot in a year.  Maybe if she had followed the rules by waiting until she was 16, she would have been more wise?  Who knows.
Besides, I actually gave her useful information by telling her to go to www.newmodels.com.  And THEN I asked for Canadian Bacon after that big_smile

Yes, Milli, you probably gave the most unbiased response by simply telling her to go to www.newmodels.com.

Another thing, did the girl ever say anything to you? If anything the only one with their panties in a bunch is Doug.

Jan 11 07 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Lamonica wrote:
If anything the only one with their panties in a bunch is Doug.

I like that some things on MM remain constant.

Jan 11 07 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Lamonica wrote:
Another thing, did the girl ever say anything to you? If anything the only one with their panties in a bunch is Doug.

it was the mob mentality that disturbed me and i was not the only one to be troubled by the behaivor... i was standing up for her.

hope when your turn comes up, you havent bunred all your bridges.

Jan 11 07 10:17 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Lamonica wrote:

Yes, Milli, you probably gave the most unbiased response by simply telling her to go to www.newmodels.com.

Nope.  She didn't say anything at all.  She was probably too busy reading the newmodels website smile

Jan 11 07 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug noticed me *again*!!! (Serevende bats eyes as his toes curls up. He knows now that Doug has a crush on him!)
Motorcycles go VRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Oh, sorry, was I supposed to take you seriously Senior Bacon???

you must be certain i am nobody....

Jan 11 07 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

You can't be nobody. I'm nobody, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Jan 11 07 10:25 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:

I am nobody.
Who are you?
Are you, nobody too?
Then there's a pair of us?! 
Don't tell!
They'd advertise you know!
How dreary to be somebody.
How public like a frog.
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!
~Emily Dickinson

Jan 11 07 10:31 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

it was the mob mentality that disturbed me and i was not the only one to be troubled by the behaivor... i was standing up for her.

hope when your turn comes up, you havent bunred all your bridges.

Well, I have common sense enough to do my own research for me instead of having it spoon fed.... and besides, I wouldn't want someone that I don't even take seriously sticking up for me anyway. But thanks. big_smile

Jan 11 07 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

hotrodmatt

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Vegemite on toast beats bacon anyday.

Jan 11 07 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Doug Swinskey wrote:

No, no... I think your work is cool as hell. I've checked out your site. I'm a punk and you are legit. Seriously, I mean that.

I just think you act like a great big dink on MM. You *KNOW* you are on a site (mostly) full of people like me. And yet, you spew this really arrogant, I'm a pro and y'all ain's shit kind of stuff.

So Doug, yeah man, your shit is high quality. Why don't you go to a site and knock heads with your peers. (Mmmm, probably cause the cats that are real players don't waste their fucking time like this? Just sayin'). Here you ain't but a big fish in a small pond and it must get you off considering your number of posts. Go tout your fancy ass stuff on a site full of NYC, London, Milan photographers if you're all that and see how far you get with your high hat crap.

BTW... I had dinner at a sushi joint at 81st & Lex a few months ago. I overheard a conversation of photographers and art directors at the table next to me. They all wanted to know when Doug was going to start posting in the forum at www.therealmfs.com.

That's all I'm saying friend. If you want slum here, the least you can be is friendly.

Jan 11 07 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just think you act like a great big dink on MM.

LMAO.  I laughed long and hard at this.

Jan 11 07 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Doug Swinskey wrote:

No, no... I think your work is cool as hell. I've checked out your site. I'm a punk and you are legit. Seriously, I mean that.
I just think you act like a great big dink on MM. You *KNOW* you are on a site (mostly) full of people like me. And yet, you spew this really arrogant, I'm a pro and y'all ain's shit kind of stuff. So Doug, yeah man, your shit is high quality. Why don't you go to a site and knock heads with your peers. (Mmmm, probably cause the cats that are real players don't waste their fucking time like this? Just sayin'). Here you ain't but a big fish in a small pond and it must get you off considering your number of posts. Go tout your fancy ass stuff on a site full of NYC, London, Milan photographers if you're all that and see how far you get with your high hat crap. BTW... I had dinner at a sushi joint at 81st

Jan 11 07 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

ps..theres a lot of important industry people here..hiding in thier anonymity...if you have any aspirations in that industry, you might take into account the things you say....

Jan 11 07 10:46 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Ransom J wrote:

LMAO.  I laughed long and hard at this.

Hahahaha... I did too...It's the same word Nick uses to talk about his member. It makes me giggle everytime.

edit: Nick wanted me to say "giant member" but I thought an edit was more appropriate.

Jan 11 07 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
so what are you doing to make this a better place?

For the time being Doug, I'm offering a differnt perspective than yours. I think you are snotty and disrespectful in my opinion and I think you do cop an elitist attitude. I like being part of the site and if I'm told by Tyler or a moderator that I can't engage you like this, I'll stop.

But here is what I'd like you to consider; when you site your experience and expertise and talk down to people like me... people like me are (kinda/to a large part?) what make up the population of MM. Tyler (or whoever is behind this site) is a pretty smart MF. I really, really, really doubt that if you had a face to face with that cats that are managing MM right now; that you'd be encouraged to piss off people like me. I think I'm a pretty good example of the MM targeted, demographic.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'll keeping making pictures after this if I get banned cause you are "connected". But, I think MM is a really f'n cool place. Amateurs don't bother me a bit if they come here with a cool attitude (m'course, I am that, I hope). But I do get a pissy feeling when I get talked down to. And Doug, we can all clip and paste examples from threads where you've done this.

Jan 11 07 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Doug Swinskey wrote:
so what are you doing to make this a better place?

For the time being Doug, I'm offering a differnt perspective than yours. I think you are snotty and disrespectful in my opinion and I think you do cop an elitist attitude. I like being part of the site and if I'm told by Tyler or a moderator that I can't engage you like this, I'll stop.
But here is what I'd like you to consider; when you site your experience and expertise and talk down to people like me... people like me are (kinda/to a large part?) what make up the population of MM. Tyler (or whoever is behind this site) is a pretty smart MF. I really, really, really doubt that if you had a face to face with that cats that are managing MM right now; that you'd be encouraged to piss off people like me. I think I'm a pretty good example of the MM targeted, demographic.
Maybe I'm wrong. I'll keeping making pictures after this if I get banned cause you are "connected". But, I think MM is a really f'n cool place. Amateurs don't bother me a bit if they come here with a cool attitude (m'course, I am that, I hope). But I do get a pissy feeling when I get talked down to. And Doug, we can all clip and paste examples from threads where you've done this.

mayhem was designed to be an edgy community...the sites intent, is a mystery to all but a few people...who it is directed too..isnt blatently obvious..

i defended a young model...strongley chastizing those that attacked her..

your response was mostly sardonic comments that didnt further any disccussion, it was meant to show your "bad boy" attitude and rally the amatuers and you even poked fun at my name...

yeah i remind people how the real world works bunches of times..cause theres so much misinformation diseminated from the clueless..

and when i go back to my emails, ill find a bunch of the respected pros in agreement with me...and you will find the radical amatuers agreeing with you..

and much like you i suspect, i wouldnt want to trade places..

and fear not..i have no affiliation with the site any longer...speak freely...

Jan 11 07 11:14 pm Link