Forums > General Industry > Refusing TF/CD offers...

Model

Cretia Nicole

Kansas City, Kansas, US

what do all these abbreviations mean..tf whatever..please enlighten me

Jan 12 07 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Roman Gorchakov

Moscow, Moscow, Russia

B Ellis Photography wrote:

How about, "I know the difference between good work and bad work and you, my friend, have sucky work.  Sorry!"  I think that would work.  Sort of like garlic to a vampire!  Now go get 'em killer!

Man, I laughed loud, thanks bro )

Jan 12 07 12:52 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Cretia Cre-Shuh wrote:
what do all these abbreviations mean..tf whatever..please enlighten me

try www.checkthefaqsectioninmminsteadofpost … eforum.com

Jan 12 07 12:53 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

rp_photo wrote:
Another good example is the grocery store that has membership cards. Isn't it more stressful to most to have to respond "no" to the "do you have a card" question vs. being able to just provide the card if desired?

Um...no....

Jan 12 07 12:54 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

rp_photo wrote:
But what if something happened and "Duck" needed that job two months later?

Had he said nothing, his chances might be good.

Had he said "No, No a frazillion times no", he would be dead duck.

you don't laugh at anything, do you?

damn, I thought NYC/NEasterners were uptight....

Jan 12 07 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Yuriy wrote:

Nothing ever requires a response... Just because it doesn't require a response doesn't mean that one should not be given.

Nothing is required of anyone, but its better to be polite and courteous by giving a response.  If its a hassle, make the effort to create a customizable standard response you can send with minimum effort in the future.  The difference in how you treat professional contacts is potential gained or lost customers and alliances.

Jan 12 07 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:

Nothing is required of anyone, but its better to be polite and courteous by giving a response.  If its a hassle, make the effort to create a customizable standard response you can send with minimum effort in the future.  The difference in how you treat professional contacts is potential gained or lost customers and alliances.

Yes, that is what I said...

Jan 12 07 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Daniela V wrote:
you don't laugh at anything, do you?

damn, I thought NYC/NEasterners were uptight....

And the pot called the kettle black...

Jan 12 07 01:36 pm Link

Model

Fedora el Morro

Seattle, Washington, US

Beach wrote:
Tell them your day rate is $1240.00

dont forget about the $500 deposit.

Jan 12 07 03:26 pm Link

Model

ML Ward

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Just did recently. I'm not sure what exactly I said.

Jan 12 07 03:33 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

I also don't think turning down a photographer for tfcd means they're not good.
Sometimes it means the style they shoot/images in photographer's port doesn't fit the llama or what they're looking for.

Jan 12 07 03:35 pm Link

Model

Fedora el Morro

Seattle, Washington, US

I'll bet the "professionals" that think ignoring photoshoot offers are the same assholes that stand up thier dates, dont call their mothers, and when they dont want to be friends with someone anymore, they just delete them from their myspace account.

Jan 12 07 03:39 pm Link

Model

Maya A Lelani

New York, New York, US

eyelight wrote:
I could send you copies of the many that turned me down.  They were all better answers than those that didn't respond at all...

Funny... cause there are a lot of photogs that don't respond at all... smile

Jan 12 07 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Maya Lei wrote:

I explained this already.

Jan 12 07 03:43 pm Link

Model

Maya A Lelani

New York, New York, US

Ransom J wrote:
I explained this already.

Haha... I wasn't talkin bout you!  But that made me laugh smile

P.S. And that's only cause I thought you were mad at me sad Otherwise I woulda let it go...

Jan 12 07 03:49 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

PLASMA DONOR wrote:

thats precisely what was going through my head.  hahaha

OH Please, blowing off factor is not in a female's genetic code, but otherwise in the ones who is blown off.

Jan 12 07 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

One issue I'd like to point out.

I'd advise against sharing your opinion on what you think of this person's work when you say "No."

Why?

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but when asking a llama if he/she wants to work with me, I'm really only concerned with whether she/he will say yes or no.  The reason why is beyond my concern.  I'm not looking for feedback.  If you don't think the style fits or if you think I suck or whatever... I could really give a flying fuck.

This so-called "brutal-honesty" or whatever... not everyone is qualified to give that, for one.  For two, when you offer it without prompt, you're assuming the photographer cares, and he or she probably does not.  You gain nothing by trying to tell someone his or her work sucks.  It's not what they asked for, at any rate.

Consider the shoe on the other foot.  You send a photographer a request to do some work together.  The photographer responds with:

"Thanks but no thanks.  And additionally, though you didn't ask, the photos you have presently are bullshit.  I think your look is tired and you might want to firm up that butt a bit before it starts dragging the floor.  While you're at it, get a nose job and paint your nails.  And if you add another photo to your book with the roots of your hair visible, then you're ugly and an idiot. 

But maybe we can... y'know... work together some other time...
"

Please.

You want to offer a polite decline?

"I appreaciate your offer but it isn't one I can accept at present.  If a time comes when I can, I'll certainly contact you.  Thank you."

Enough said...

Jan 12 07 04:27 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
"Thanks but no thanks.  And additionally, though you didn't ask, the photos you have presently are bullshit.  I think your look is tired and you might want to firm up that butt a bit before it starts dragging the floor.  While you're at it, get a nose job and paint your nails.  And if you add another photo to your book with the roots of your hair visible, then you're ugly and an idiot. 

But maybe we can... y'know... work together some other time...
"

Jay, now, honestly - do you have the access to by inbox or something...?

Jan 12 07 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Julia wrote:
Jay, now, honestly - do you have the access to my inbox or something...?

I do...

Oh, wait, did you say your inbox? My bad...

Jan 12 07 05:10 pm Link

Model

JODI LEVIN

Fox Lake, Illinois, US

Consider the shoe on the other foot.  You send a photographer a request to do some work together.  The photographer responds with:

"[i]Thanks but no thanks.  And additionally, though you didn't ask, the photos you have presently are bullshit.  I think your look is tired and you might want to firm up that butt a bit before it starts dragging the floor.  While you're at it, get a nose job and paint your nails.  And if you add another photo to your book with the roots of your hair visible, then you're ugly and an idiot. (QUOTE)

LOVE IT

Jan 12 07 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Lorin A Edmonds

Eugene, Oregon, US

Most photographers know each other in many towns.

Many times I have been asked to recommend a llama..

If you are polite and nice even if you did not shoot with me. I am might recommend you.

There is one llama here who stood up a photographer and she can pretty much kiss 1/2 of the state good bye.

Jan 12 07 05:27 pm Link

Model

JODI LEVIN

Fox Lake, Illinois, US

OK -
so what if you get this opportunity of tfcd of a lifetime... the best photographer you have ever seen: but have to procrastinate, like for additional wardrobe. (you dont want to look like a poverty stricken idiot)
Would he instantly think you are blowing him off ?

Jan 12 07 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Maya Lei wrote:

Hey now sad , I contacted you because I wanted to work with you but couldn't at the SM shoot and you said you were "pretty booked for the trip." Unfortunately, my schedule was tight at that time too...  However, if you're coming back, let's talk...

Jan 12 07 05:33 pm Link

Model

JODI LEVIN

Fox Lake, Illinois, US

ED Edmonds wrote:
Most photographers know each other in many towns.

Many times I have been asked to recommend a llama..

If you are polite and nice even if you did not shoot with me. I am might recommend you.

There is one llama here who stood up a photographer and she can pretty much kiss 1/2 of the state good bye.

fye - I have never lived in Oregon

Jan 12 07 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Daniela V wrote:

I agree with that. Be as polite as possible.

And on the flip side, if someone turns you down, don't keep approaching them month after month after month.

Ok, ok, after so many months, I finally get the point, you can lift the restraining order now, I'l stop the stalking... smile

Jan 12 07 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Payaso_Perverso

Fedora El Morro wrote:
When I first started llamaing online, I was a little wigged out by photographers wanting me to call them. I think it is a lack of experience thing.....but now, I refuse to waste time. Time is money. Time is something I want to use to my (and your) benefit. I want to reply to the photographers that I dont want to work with, tell them why, wish them a wonderful day, and delete the message. I want to schedule shoots with people that have perspective and personality. I think a lot of people really need attention or something.

I hate phones...

Jan 12 07 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

JODI LEVIN wrote:
OK -
so what if you get this opportunity of tfcd of a lifetime... the best photographer you have ever seen: but have to procrastinate, like for additional wardrobe. (you dont want to look like a poverty stricken idiot)
Would he instantly think you are blowing him off ?

Nobody can function in a state of complete ignorance.

Tell him or her you need time to scrounge up some clothing (assuming it isn't provided for you) and give him/her a reasonable assessment off when you might be able to follow through, if possible.  Say that up front and there will be no doubt as to what the photographer is thinking.  More clearly, you won't have to wonder if he thinks you're blowing him off.  He'll know that you're broke and need to get your finances together.  Procrastinating makes you look really flakey.

There's this misconception that photographers don't know the depths of broke-dom in which some llamas live.  We do.  We completely understand.  We even expect it.

For what it's worth...

Jan 12 07 06:08 pm Link

Model

JODI LEVIN

Fox Lake, Illinois, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Nobody can function in a state of complete ignorance.

Tell him or her you need time to scrounge up some clothing (assuming it isn't provided for you) and give him/her a reasonable assessment off when you might be able to follow through, if possible.  Say that up front and there will be no doubt as to what the photographer is thinking.  More clearly, you won't have to wonder if he thinks you're blowing him off.  He'll know that you're broke and need to get your finances together.  Procrastinating makes you look really flakey.

There's this misconception that photographers don't know the depths of broke-dom in which some llamas live.  We do.  We completely understand.  We even expect it.

For what it's worth...

just lookin' for some lovin' -

Jan 12 07 06:22 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Oh, geez... everyone is so sensitive ...

I want to work with you... and you, you don't even talk to me, that is so unfair... or watever...  Or... When I contected you, you said no, and so now I will never shoot with you again.https://www.garage.chel.ru/forum/images/smiles/ma.gif
All this be@ching!

Hello?!!

There is no personal feelings involved whatsover.

IT is business.
I'll stick my pride in my ass if I have to, and if really feel like I need the photographer or any other person.

For one or another reason "we" can't work together. period. move on.
If there is another time we come across each other and there is new cercamstanses (such as lost weight, new camera, or improved skills), I wouldn't hesitate to contact a photographer if I said no before.  Or contact one if I have heard "no" before again.

What's the big deal? Not enough drama in life?

Jan 12 07 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hey MM!

As a model I know the diff between quality photos and not so good ones...how do you refuse a TF/CD offer with a not-so-good photographer????

how do you know there not good ?  i only put up pictures i want opinions on , not my best work.    i have no trouble finding my own models so no need to impress models with my port.  i put up things im playing with  , right now im shooting in the dark with 1 light source.   i suggest you ask if they have a printed portfolio you can see.    you may find a photog with a not so great port is a wedding photog with 25 years experience that only posts images from side projects he is ( playing  ) with.

Jan 12 07 09:22 pm Link