Forums > General Industry > Refusing TF/CD offers...

Model

Adrienne J

MARYLAND, New York, US

Hey MM!

As a model I know the diff between quality photos and not so good ones...how do you refuse a TF/CD offer with a not-so-good photographer????

Jan 10 07 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

"Thank you, but I am unable to accept your offer at the time."
...Or something like that...
smile

Jan 10 07 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

Yuriy wrote:
"Thank you, but I am unable to accept your offer at the time."
...Or something like that...
smile

Works for me!

Jan 10 07 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just politely decline.

Something like:
"I'm sorry that I am not able to accept your offer, but thank you for your consideration".

***addendum:  seems like a few of us answered all at once.
Please note that if you say something like "...at this time", this indicates that you'll probably be willing to work with the photographer later.

If you're NOT willing to work with the photographer at another time, then don't use that phrase.  The photographers will probably end up contacting you in the future, and you'll start feeling that you're being stalked... all because of the three words "at this time".

Jan 10 07 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Whetzel Photos

Longwood, Florida, US

Photographers do not expect everyone to accept the offer. Models and photographers should only accept TFCD it they will benefit both the photographer and model. Not every request requires a response. If you do need to respond be polite but let the photographer know that you are unable to accept the offer at this time.

Jan 10 07 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

I could send you copies of the many that turned me down.  They were all better answers than those that didn't respond at all...

Jan 10 07 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hey MM!

As a model I know the diff between quality photos and not so good ones...how do you refuse a TF/CD offer with a not-so-good photographer????

Ditto to what has already been said. You don't want to be burning your bridges either smile You never know which photographers will develop their craft further. smile

Jan 10 07 08:03 pm Link

Model

Fedora el Morro

Seattle, Washington, US

I do not think it is professional or polite to just not respond.

I think everybody deserves a little honesty. What are we 12? If you don't want to work with someone, tell them why.

Jan 10 07 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Whetzel Photos wrote:
Photographers do not expect everyone to accept the offer. Models and photographers should only accept TFCD it they will benefit both the photographer and model. Not every request requires a response. If you do need to respond be polite but let the photographer know that you are unable to accept the offer at this time.

Nothing ever requires a response... Just because it doesn't require a response doesn't mean that one should not be given.

Jan 10 07 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

eyelight wrote:
I could send you copies of the many that turned me down.  They were all better answers than those that didn't respond at all...

Amen!

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
***addendum:  seems like a few of us answered all at once.
Please note that if you say something like "...at this time", this indicates that you'll probably be willing to work with the photographer later.

If you're NOT willing to work with the photographer at another time, then don't use that phrase.  The photographers will probably end up contacting you in the future, and you'll start feeling that you're being stalked... all because of the three words "at this time".

Yesss....very true smile

Photographer

CW Sr

Columbus, Ohio, US

a female asking how to blow someone off? lol that's a first. I thought it was genetically implanted or something haha

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hey MM!

How about, "I know the difference between good work and bad work and you, my friend, have sucky work.  Sorry!"  I think that would work.  Sort of like garlic to a vampire!  Now go get 'em killer!

Jan 10 07 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

bmjg

Longwood, Florida, US

eyelight wrote:

No responce always comes with a bit of a barb on it....

"No thank you"  is simple enough for me.

Jan 10 07 08:09 pm Link

Model

PLASMA DONOR

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

Corey Wellman wrote:
a female asking how to blow someone off? lol that's a first. I thought it was genetically implanted or something haha

thats precisely what was going through my head.  hahaha

Jan 10 07 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

You can:

a) lie - tell him you have a yeast infection and aren't expected to survive
b) be tactfully truthful - say he "isn't your style" or "doesn't have the look you need for your portfolio"
c) be brutal - tell him he sucks
d) be brutal but give him a reacharound - tell him he sucks and then tell him what he could do to fix it - this takes time.

I like to get somewhere in between c and d. And you're welcome to tell me you think I suck smile I can take it. If he can't that's his own issue to deal with.

Jan 10 07 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

We don't suck...but it's ok if you say our style is not for you...

Jan 10 07 08:16 pm Link

Model

Adieu

I do it sometimes just to help the photographer build his port, but most of the time I turn them down.

Jan 10 07 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Luna

Dallas, Texas, US

You can always use the "I just can't afford to do TFCD" excuse. I get that one a LOT. Half the time I believe it because, well, I can't afford to do TFCD either. However, I still do them if the llama and concept is right.
I totally agree that ANY answer is better than NO answer. No answer is just a slap in the face and it can come back to BITE you in the butt.
You could  get a rep as a primadonna and being a llama....thats kinda built in already so you don't need to perpetuate the myth any more.

Jan 10 07 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Ok, so, I'll change gears here, just a bit, and throw out there that maybe you might shoot with some of those not so good photographers. If nothing else, you get more experience, and so do they. Who knows, they might surprise you and give you something you like. If not, you don't have to use the photos.

Jan 10 07 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Whetzel Photos wrote:
Photographers do not expect everyone to accept the offer.

Wrong.  Even the most simple "no thank you" is better than nothing!

Jan 10 07 08:41 pm Link

Model

Jami Lea

Los Angeles, California, US

I would just say, "Hey!  Thanks so much for considering me.  I have a very tight schedule right now, but I will keep you floating around in my inbox.  When some of my time frees up, I will notify you.  Thanks for your time!  Regards, your name." 

I think it is perfectly safe.  But then again, you are beautiful.  If you are a choice of model for him, your ideas mixed with his ideas could turn out to be a great, fun shoot with quality photos.  You can help him help you.  I don't know, just an idea.

Jan 10 07 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

D-O-N-S-I-R

Norwalk, California, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hey MM!

I contacted a model who posted, "will do TFP/CD, just ask" and when I did, her reply was, "no thank you, I'm already booked solid."  ~shrug~  Win some, lose some.

Jan 10 07 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 76 Photo

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Whetzel Photos wrote:

Agreed... Atleast respond instead of no replies... I don't expect to work with everyone on TFCD/P that I ask... I also don't work with all models that ask me. But I reply in a good way...

Jan 10 07 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

The whole internet modeling negotiation process is interesting.  I was approached by 2 different models a couple of months ago.  They wanted to shoot.  I wasn't enthused by either, but thought I could learn something in either case.  After a bunch of preliminary emails, I gave them both my phone number  -- Zap, they're gone.

Jan 10 07 08:53 pm Link

Model

Fedora el Morro

Seattle, Washington, US

Rich Davis wrote:
The whole internet modeling negotiation process is interesting.  I was approached by 2 different models a couple of months ago.  They wanted to shoot.  I wasn't enthused by either, but thought I could learn something in either case.  After a bunch of preliminary emails, I gave them both my phone number  -- Zap, they're gone.

When I first started modeling online, I was a little wigged out by photographers wanting me to call them. I think it is a lack of experience thing.....but now, I refuse to waste time. Time is money. Time is something I want to use to my (and your) benefit. I want to reply to the photographers that I dont want to work with, tell them why, wish them a wonderful day, and delete the message. I want to schedule shoots with people that have perspective and personality. I think a lot of people really need attention or something.

Jan 10 07 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hey MM!

You could have just told me NO sad

Jan 10 07 09:08 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Los Angeles, California, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:

I say yes.  Plus a cute bikini.

Jan 10 07 09:09 pm Link

Model

Fedora el Morro

Seattle, Washington, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:

I have not done a lot of glamour, but I would definately shoot with you.

Jan 10 07 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Ed the Healer

Addison, Alabama, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hey MM!

Just don't do TFP/CD with anyone.  Cash is King!

Jan 10 07 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Eli Anthony

Mentor, Ohio, US

Corey Wellman wrote:

Classic!! LMAO!!

Jan 10 07 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:
You can:

b) be tactfully truthful - say he "isn't your style" or "doesn't have the look you need for your portfolio"
d) be brutal but give him a reacharound - tell him he sucks and then tell him what he could do to fix it - this takes time.

I like to get somewhere in between c and d. And you're welcome to tell me you think I suck smile I can take it. If he can't that's his own issue to deal with.

Trevor, as usual, the most thoughtful and entertaining reply to a post.  I love it.

Jan 10 07 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Fedora El Morro wrote:
I do not think it is professional or polite to just not respond.

I think everybody deserves a little honesty. What are we 12? If you don't want to work with someone, tell them why.

Wish most "models" think like you. sad

Jan 10 07 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

MEWanoDesigns wrote:
Ok, so, I'll change gears here, just a bit, and throw out there that maybe you might shoot with some of those not so good photographers. If nothing else, you get more experience, and so do they. Who knows, they might surprise you and give you something you like. If not, you don't have to use the photos.

very good point. someone has to be the experiment first. wink besides, sometimes a chemistry is needed to product good photos and you just might have that chemistry with the noob. wink

Jan 10 07 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

semyon

PISCATAWAY, New Jersey, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hey MM!

Just don't reply! I'm a photographer and that's what I expect from models. Ignore all this politeness/rude nonsense. If you reply, most likely you'll have to lie to protect their feelings, so you really have to choose between two sins. If you tell them they no good, some people can get defensive and nasty. And personally, if somebody don't want to shoot with me, I don't care why - 'no' is 'no' regardless of how it's served.

Jan 10 07 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

semyon wrote:

Just don't reply! I'm a photographer and that's what I expect from models. Ignore all this politeness/rude nonsense. If you reply, most likely you'll have to lie to protect their feelings, so you really have to choose between two sins. If you tell them they no good, some people can get defensive and nasty. And personally, if somebody don't want to shoot with me, I don't care why - 'no' is 'no' regardless of how it's served.

I agree. No answer means no. Plain and simple.

Jan 10 07 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

semyon

PISCATAWAY, New Jersey, US

Leo Chan wrote:

very good point. someone has to be the experiment first. wink besides, sometimes a chemistry is needed to product good photos and you just might have that chemistry with the noob. wink

I don't think I agree with your detective work here. Chemistry just the part of the shoot. If noob doesn't know how to light you right, no chemistry would help (unfortunately, spoken from my own experience). The best is to pick somebody on your own level, or slightly better. Leave the best ones for the last.

Jan 10 07 10:25 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Trevor Snyder wrote:
You can:

I have been going for

D)
No thank you I do not wish to take this job for TFP.

but here is a gathering of several other models and photogaraphers you might wish to attend to show your book around to...

And here are a few bay area workshops as well...

Jan 10 07 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Tell them your day rate is $1240.00

Jan 10 07 10:28 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Bah, I quoted a day rate of 400 or 300 + 2 prints and I was still turned down...

Jan 10 07 10:29 pm Link