Forums > General Industry > Refusing TF/CD offers...

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Duvall wrote:

[...]

"No thank you"  is simple enough for me.

that's it !

Jan 10 07 10:31 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Jan 10 07 10:32 pm Link

Model

Adrienne J

MARYLAND, New York, US

Thanks everyone for your contributing help...sigh..its hard to decide what to do because I dont want to leave the photographer hanging, maybe I should take your advice of saying "I have a full load at the moment....and so on" I doubt he'd persist...hmmm...

Jan 11 07 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Whetzel Photos

Longwood, Florida, US

semyon wrote:

I don't think I agree with your detective work here. Chemistry just the part of the shoot. If noob doesn't know how to light you right, no chemistry would help (unfortunately, spoken from my own experience). The best is to pick somebody on your own level, or slightly better. Leave the best ones for the last.

Jan 11 07 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Whetzel Photos

Longwood, Florida, US

Finally someone that agrees. I agree that it is more professional to respond that is why I respond to all my request. However in some cases no matter how you word it the person on the other end is going to get offended. Also sometimes the photographer may have just given any tag “let me know if you are interested in a TFCD”. By not replying at the time then most photographers are going to  know that you are not interested at this time. If the photographer becomes better in time and you told him/her they sucked I don’t think that they will ever want to shoot you again so you are burning a bridge. If you lie they are most likely going to continue to come back at you and personally I think lying is more unprofessional. However in your case of the model that posted this she probably does have several offers so you could simply say that you are booked at the time and cannot accept any more TFCD offers at this time.

Jan 11 07 03:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kimberly Pletz

Los Angeles, California, US

I always say that my agent no longer lets me test anymore.... I have enough in my book... Because if it don't make MONEY, it dont make SENCE!!!! ha ha ha...

Kimberly
Makeup artist/hair stylist

Jan 11 07 03:36 am Link

Model

Kellie Taylor

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Last time I politely told a photographer I wasn't interested I got a page long nasty note talking about how i was being a diva and who did i think i was.. etc.!  Even though I have posted on my page what kind of work I wanted for TFCD.
so now I am kinda scared!! haha.

Jan 11 07 03:54 am Link

Model

Alix Andrea

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Just politely decline.

Something like:
"I'm sorry that I am not able to accept your offer, but thank you for your consideration".

***addendum:  seems like a few of us answered all at once.
Please note that if you say something like "...at this time", this indicates that you'll probably be willing to work with the photographer later.

If you're NOT willing to work with the photographer at another time, then don't use that phrase.  The photographers will probably end up contacting you in the future, and you'll start feeling that you're being stalked... all because of the three words "at this time".

Good good good point!

Jan 11 07 03:57 am Link

Model

Paxton Rylie

Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Corey Wellman wrote:
a female asking how to blow someone off? lol that's a first. I thought it was genetically implanted or something haha

No i prime case that its not genetically implanted.. i have a hard time blowing people off in many cases (like guys asking me out on dates when i'm single)

No, for some women believe it or not is hard, because of a guilty conscience

Jan 11 07 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Kellie Taylor wrote:
Last time I politely told a photographer I wasn't interested I got a page long nasty note talking about how i was being a diva and who did i think i was.. etc.!  Even though I have posted on my page what kind of work I wanted for TFCD.

Someone acted unprofessionally and your reaction was to do the same thing after that? What a way to go.

To the OP, be nice. Don't burn any bridges. You never know who that photographer knows. This is a small world. Things do get around pretty quickly. If that photographer is truly a GWC with no talent whatsoever, then that guy will remain that way. My feeling is that most models can't tell what is good photography and what is good photography.

Jan 12 07 06:28 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Adrienne J wrote:
Hey MM!

As a model I know the diff between quality photos and not so good ones...how do you refuse a TF/CD offer with a not-so-good photographer????

I have the black plague....

My llama herder is my pimp....

Can my BF shoot also...

my rate is $400 per hour

Jan 12 07 07:53 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I think a simple honest reply is best .

I get requests for TFP/TFCD from llamas who I think have very little to offer but I always respond .
If I think they have potential then I might offer a free shoot if they pay the MUA if they don't seem to have ANY llama qualities ( in my opinion ) I will offer a paid shoot ( my hourly rate ) and a CD of the images . Now if they are just real dogs I still answer their request but say they are not a match for my style  but I will be pleased to offer a paid shoot .

The one thing that is hard to evaluate with new llamas is their ability to move for the camera . Some of the photography new girls have is so bad that you can be pleasantly surprised if you give them a chance . I try to look past the bad images and see if I can pick up on something about them that would make them good to work with.

It's like every thing else in life ----We negotiate based on our evaluation of the worth of the product.

Models and photographers are like products . We buy , sell or trade based on our assessment of the value of the product . We do tend to deal with people we find to be pleasing so being nice always pays off:)

Jan 12 07 08:25 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Yuriy wrote:
"Thank you, but I am unable to accept your offer at the time."
...Or something like that...
smile

How about:

"Thank you, but I am holding out for a TFCD with Yuriy or JAY carreon at this time."

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jan 12 07 08:27 am Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
I have been going for

D)
No thank you I do not wish to take this job for TFP.

but here is a gathering of several other llamas and photogaraphers you might wish to attend to show your book around to...

And here are a few bay area workshops as well...

I'd pay to shoot you because:

a) I can tell from your port you work hard
b) I can tell from your port you are tastful (by my standards)
c) I would make money down the road from sales of the resulting images

Jan 12 07 08:32 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

A polite no thanks usually works. And its best to omit the fact that you think he or she sucks lol.

Jan 12 07 08:37 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Yuriy wrote:
smile

I agree with that. Be as polite as possible.

And on the flip side, if someone turns you down, don't keep approaching them month after month after month.

Jan 12 07 08:37 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

Yuriy wrote:
smile

perfectly said...

Jan 12 07 08:39 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Daniela V wrote:
I agree with that. Be as polite as possible.

And on the flip side, if someone turns you down, don't keep approaching them month after month after month.

The single exception is the whole JAY_carreon-DanielaV situation - because it is perfectly understandable for him to be obsessed with such a beautiful, talented, gorgeously (did I already say beautiful?) sexy llama!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jan 12 07 08:48 am Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

Whetzel Photos wrote:
Photographers do not expect everyone to accept the offer. llamas and photographers should only accept TFCD it they will benefit both the photographer and llama. Not every request requires a response. If you do need to respond be polite but let the photographer know that you are unable to accept the offer at this time.

I disagree. You should always respond to a request, it's rude to just ignore people.

Also, once I refused to do a TFP and the guy got all pissed off at me.

Jan 12 07 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

You can always say that you would love to but it would not be fair as you think you are going to have an accident that day or your great grandmother is goint to die for the third time this year (all on days of TF's)

Jan 12 07 08:57 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

JAY carreon wrote:
The single exception is the whole JAY_carreon-DanielaV situation - because it is perfectly understandable for him to be obsessed with such a beautiful, talented, gorgeously (did I already say beautiful?) sexy llama!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Of course that is an exception. Goes without saying wink

Jan 12 07 09:34 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Kellie Taylor wrote:

Don't be scare.  Just tell him you aren't interested or that you have other plans.  Any reply is better than no replies.

Jan 12 07 09:42 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

When I contact llamas I usually include the line, "please review my portfolio and if my style suits your needs..."

That way if it doesn't, they can easily respond without feeling as if they're hurting my feelings. Any response is better than none.

Oh and I have copyrighted that phrase so back off smile

Jan 12 07 09:43 am Link

Photographer

BlueCheckMafia

White Plains, New York, US

eyelight wrote:
I could send you copies of the many that turned me down.  They were all better answers than those that didn't respond at all...

Have to agree. 

I think politeness and courtesy makes giving a response the better option... but it has been awhile since our society has been concerned with things like manners or courtesy. 

Plus circumstances change and it is a very small world.  I always tend to remember the nice ones.

Jan 12 07 09:58 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Kellie Taylor wrote:

Don't be afraid. HE burned the bridge, not you. You did what was right by responding politely. I find that the photographers that do this the most are the ones that have an overblown view of their own quality of work.

As others have pointed out "Currently my schedule is full" is a good way to do it, or simply saying "At this point in time your style is not what I am seeking for my book." Its simple, honest, and doesn't slam the photographer. If they take it that way, that is their problem, you write an x next to their name and move on.

Just remember, this is business. Business is business. If someone's feelings are hurt by a reasonable and polite reply, then that is their issue, and not yours.

Jan 12 07 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I'm going against the crowd here in believing that no response can often be better than  a declining response. Unless carefully thought out and worded, a declining response could burn bridges more than none at all.

This changes once the llama has expressed interest in any way, after which not responding is unprofessional.

Jan 12 07 10:44 am Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

rp_photo wrote:
I'm going against the crowd here in believing that no response can often be better than  a declining response. Unless carefully thought out and worded, a declining response could burn bridges more than none at all.

This changes once the llama has expressed interest in any way, after which not responding is unprofessional.

Yeah, in this ultra-wired world there sometimes isn't even time to give negative responses to all the things that you aren't interested in, especially from people you've never communicated with before. No response means no, simple.

But yeah, do respond if two way communications have already commenced.

Jan 12 07 10:52 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

rp_photo wrote:

If a photographer is that sensitive about receiving a polite no thank you, then maybe that photographer should look into a different line of work...like, accounting or something.

Jan 12 07 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Daniela V wrote:
If a photographer is that sensitive about receiving a polite no thank you, then maybe that photographer should look into a different line of work...like, accounting or something.

You're not completely getting the point. It has less to do with my sensitivity than the impression the llama makes.

I consider no response acceptable on an initial contact only. Say for example I sent you an offer of a TFCD shoot and you read my message but didn't respond. A month later, you change your mind for some reason and decide you are interested. Had you said "No thank you" at first, I would be more concerned about your sincerity vs. had you not responded at all.

I do not expect from anyone a response to a contact that I initiate. It is more stressful for the recipinet to have to say "no" vs. saying nothing. This is basic Psych 101 knowledge.

I am sensitive and understanding enough to accept a non-response for what it is, and realize that the door has been left open for that llama.

Jan 12 07 11:13 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

rp_photo wrote:
I do not expect from anyone a response to a contact that I initiate. It is more stressful for the recipinet to have to say "no" vs. saying nothing. This is basic Psych 101 knowledge.

And you got your psych degree from???

How stressful is it to say no to someone you've never met before? Please.

Jan 12 07 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Daniela V wrote:
And you got your psych degree from???

How stressful is it to say no to someone you've never met before? Please.

Note I said "Psych 101". A single-course degee is an amazing concept!

Another good example is the grocery store that has membership cards. Isn't it more stressful to most to have to respond "no" to the "do you have a card" question vs. being able to just provide the card if desired?

Forcing people to say "no" can be viewed as a hard-sell technique. Record and book clubs have profited off this for decades.

Jan 12 07 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

rp_photo wrote:

When a llama doesn't respond, I flag her as being full of sh*t and I don't bother with her anymore. I very carefully select the people I will test or do TFP with, and I expect a polite response - yay or nay, but a response nonetheless. Sometimes I am waiting a day or two for one to reply either way before offering the TFP slot to my second choice.

If you don't reply at all, you are wasting people's time. It was my choice to contact you, but it is YOUR choice to present yourself as at least halfway professional and courteous. You put yourself in this position by putting a profile here. In my case, you get taken off the Favorites list when you don't respond, and have now instantly missed out on any future opportunities (paid or unpaid). Way to go!

I have been told that my style doesn't suit what the llama is looking for, or that she is only doing paid work at the moment (sometimes ridiculous, but if she is getting it, good for her), etc. I appreciate the responses, and answer back with a brief thank you. On the flip side, I have been contacted (sometimes repeatedly) by llamas looking for TFP, and if they don't fit my semi-strict standards for this, I politely tell them that I am doing very limited TFP at the moment - which is true.

I mean, how hard is that? Don't be lazy, scared, insecure, or rude. Reply!

Jan 12 07 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Gabriel wrote:
I mean, how hard is that? Don't be lazy, scared, insecure, or rude. Reply!

You have a point, as long as the response is carefully written, otherwise it can do more harm than good. The goal is to leave the door open.

I also think that dismissing someone due to lack of response might be a bit shortsighted.

I'll accept that we all have different opinions on the merits of responding or not. I'll conclude with these final thoughts:

1. If responding to an inquiry in the negative, choose wording carefully to leave the door open, unless you are 100% sure that you never want to work with that person.

2. Once you have already responded in the affirmative, not responding is now much more unacceptable. If you change your mind, the other party most definitely is owed an explanation.

3. The sender of of an unresponded-to or declined message should take the hint and not press the issue. It is highly unprofessional to berate anyone for lack of interest.

Jan 12 07 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Taken from www.whattheduck.net (w/ permission) wrote:
https://web.mac.com/aaronandpatty/iWeb/What%20the%20Duck/Images/WTD126.gif

Jan 12 07 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

JAY carreon wrote:

How about:

"Thank you, but I am holding out for a TFCD with Yuriy or JAY carreon at this time."

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

^ That's good too. big_smile

-Yuriy "D"-

Jan 12 07 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

But what if something happened and "Duck" needed that job two months later?

Had he said nothing, his chances might be good.

Had he said "No, No a frazillion times no", he would be dead duck.

Jan 12 07 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

SFDigitalphotography

San Francisco, California, US

modeling/photography isn't dating, there are a million reasons why a llama or photographer might not want to/be able to shoot with someone and it isn't about hurting anyone's feelings.

There is also the issue that some people cannot tell a good photo from one they don't like. They are not the same thing. If the style isn't to your taste then say that. And don't necessarily conclude that the photographer isn't any good. Or the llama is experienced. Its just possible that's what the llama/photographer wants his/her portfolio to look like.

I shoot with people whose style isnt my 'thing' for the experience and variety, otherwise I'd do 'Laura Ashley' pretty dress shoots all the time. I'm glad I have, I've had the good fortune to meet interesting people and see value where once I did not.

.//Daren

Jan 12 07 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

rp_photo wrote:
You have a point, as long as the response is carefully written, otherwise it can do more harm than good. The goal is to leave the door open.

I also think that dismissing someone due to lack of response might be a bit shortsighted.

Nope. It's the Internet, and those with an Internet attitude will be put aside in favor of the gazillion others out there. Those who know how to act in a professional manner will be treated as such. I guess I'm just not an "Internet photographer," because I can barely tolerate the way things are done here. The clients I've had have always been from the street, not the computer screen.

rp_photo wrote:
I'll accept that we all have different opinions on the merits of responding or not. I'll conclude with these final thoughts:

1. If responding to an inquiry in the negative, choose wording carefully to leave the door open, unless you are 100% sure that you never want to work with that person.

I would add to choose wording carefully either way, unless the solicitation involved pornography or an offer to pay for sexual favors or something. Again, treat people as they treat you.

rp_photo wrote:
2. Once you have already responded in the affirmative, not responding is now much more unacceptable. If you change your mind, the other party most definitely is owed an explanation.

Agreed 100%. This has happened a couple of times as well - guess who got taken off the Friends/Favorites list afterwards?

rp_photo wrote:
3. The sender of of an unresponded-to or declined message should take the hint and not press the issue. It is highly unprofessional to berate anyone for lack of interest.

Absolutely. Once declined, they never hear from me again unless I have a completely different project down the line, or something paid that I think they would be good for.

Jan 12 07 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

rp_photo wrote:
Had he said "No, No a frazillion times no", he would be dead duck.

...Not a "Frazillion times no"...It's "A Frazillion dollars"...
You know...if you don't want a job you overbid so if you get it you are compensated very well for doing something you didn't want to do...

Jan 12 07 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

sfdigitalphotography wrote:
I shoot with people whose style isnt my 'thing' for the experience and variety, otherwise I'd do 'Laura Ashley' pretty dress shoots all the time. I'm glad I have, I've had the good fortune to meet interesting people and see value where once I did not.

.//Daren

I love that approach. I need to do this more.

Jan 12 07 12:43 pm Link