Forums > General Industry > Amateur models who ask $$$ per hour.

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

Okay, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I've always been curious how amateur models (models without an agency or list of impressive credits) can ask for $50, $75, $100+ dollars an hour for modeling.

I've happily paid models $300-400 for a 2-3 hour session. More if they do their own hair and make-up on a pro level. They also have supplied gorgeous wardrobe. But some models (not all.. I'm not generalizing, just making a point) show up with a duffle bag and a handful of wrinkled cheap clothes...emphasis on the wrinkled!

Anyway, some photographers, including myself have spent 10's of thousands of dollars on equipment and countless hours and money on education, and I sure don't get that kind of dough! I mean, I sincerely want everyone to make a lot of money doing what they love to do.. but aren't there some dues to be paid to earn that level of pay?

What should they charge? I don't know..I'm sure it depends on the assignment .. but doctor's make $100+ an hour and people who have years of experience at a professional craft, sometimes don't make $50 hr. So please tell me how an amateur model can ask for the same rate..I'm really curious about this.

Jan 04 07 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

A newbie has every right to ask for what ever he/she wants to as compensation ,just as you have the right to refuse and make a counter offer or continue to negotiate or not.In some cases it is appropriate others not.

Jan 04 07 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Stan has it right.  It is their right to ask and your right to decline.  That doesn't mean that everyone will say "no."

Jan 04 07 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:
A newbie has every right to ask for what ever he/she wants to as compensation ,just as you have the right to refuse and make a counter offer or continue to negotiate or not.In some cases it is appropriate others not.

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly.

Jan 04 07 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

very true and good point. I guess I feel like they're pricing themselves out of the game right out of the gate. But I never thought to counter offer anyone. thanks for the response.

Jan 04 07 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

My cardiologist charges $300 for 10 minutes, and he probably bills at least 30 hours a week. Same with lawyers, plumbers, electricians, all manner of people who charge by the hour, they bill lots of hours per week. Not many models do that, so you can't just multiply X by 40 and assume she's making a fortune.

But none of that matters anyway. Models charge what they can get paid. I've paid several models for their very first, and possibly only paid shoot. They had the look I needed, convinced me that they were capable of doing it, and I didn't have to put up with a lot of crap from agents or sluggos.

If a model can't get paid what she's asking, then she'll either lower her price or quit. Most of them quit.

Are Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, etc. paid millions because they're incredibly talented and experienced? Not at all. They get paid all that money because they sell tickets at the box office. However talented and experienced they might be, there are thousands of other actors more talented and more experienced who can't find enough work at minimum wage to keep up their health insurance.

Jan 04 07 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
very true and good point. I guess I feel like they're pricing themselves out of the game right out of the gate. But I never thought to counter offer anyone. thanks for the response.

Then tell them so, politely, as you decline their request for compensation above what you feel is fair.

How is this different from any other business negotiation?

Model

Adieu

Ah, let them dig their own grave.

Unless they're amazing and have something great to offer, I wouldn't pay a model. I could care less about experience.

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
very true and good point. I guess I feel like they're pricing themselves out of the game right out of the gate.

In some cases you may well be right, but don't you think they will figure that out?

Bear in mind that some models do charge from day one and there are people who pay them.  On the other hand, some models never make money irrespective of their experience level

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:

I recommend countering with shiny trinkets.

Jan 04 07 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

visual mirage

Nashville, Arkansas, US

to each their own...it's all about marketing services and it's up to us as a consumer to decide whether we want those services at the price they're asking. if they have a certain look someone is searching for, I'm sure they will be paid for that project. they have the right to charge for their services as does anyone of us here.

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

I agree as well.
I'd ask for money if I knew that the shoot wouldn't benefit my port, otherwise I would just say no.  I wouldn't ask for much though.

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

In many cases, you can blame the beer bellied, horny GWC's who have inflated the egos of many of these model wannabe's by paying $50 to $100 an hour to see them nude or scantily clad.  Personally, I see little difference between that and stuffing bills into the g-strings of "dancers" at titty bars.

Jan 04 07 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

C David Stephens wrote:
My cardiologist charges $300 for 10 minutes, and he probably bills at least 30 hours a week. Same with lawyers, plumbers, electricians, all manner of people who charge by the hour, they bill lots of hours per week. Not many models do that, so you can't just multiply X by 40 and assume she's making a fortune.

How can you possibly compare these two things?

Jan 04 07 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Yup. Until there's a law that says they can't. But I don't see that coming anytime soon. Thank God you do in fact have the right to say "no" to him/her, huh?

Jan 04 07 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ed the Healer

Addison, Alabama, US

How can McDonalds ask for $2.50 for a Big Mac?

Jan 04 07 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

Ed Goodwin Photography wrote:

Because it has twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonionsonasesameseedbun.

Jan 04 07 08:35 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
Because it has twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonionsonasesameseedbun.

Nice. smile

Jan 04 07 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Jeez... again?!

They can ask for any outlandish amount they want.  If you think they're worth it, pay it.  If not, keep going.  They'll eventually drop their rate until they get some takers (even if that is a per shoot rate of a certain amount of prints).  It's simple economics.

I take issue with this notion that a new model should not charge.  What's more important... the potentially bad habits she's learned on other shoots or what she looks like.  Would you pay for experience even if she doesn't have the look you need? 

It seems like a no-brainer to me but perhaps I'm the crazy one...

Jan 04 07 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

patrick, my advice...

If they ask for pay, and you're willing to pay them then wonderful.

If you don't think they are worth it, move on... you're good enough to find people to work with inside what ever budget you have.

People are people.... let them be who they are.

Jan 04 07 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Knechtschaft Studio

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, US

Hahaha! smile

Patrick Shipstad wrote:

Jan 04 07 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I pay models upto $1000 for a 3-4 hour shoot, plus air and hotel to my location and licensed makeup/hair person

dues the model has to pay? I dont care about the BS... if she has what I am needing I pay her what her physique/look is worth to me. not how long she has been modeling.

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
I've happily paid models $300-400 for a 2-3 hour session.

but aren't there some dues to be paid to earn that level of pay?

Jan 04 07 08:49 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:

Here is your answer as to why they can charge that much:

Herb Way wrote:
In many cases, you can blame the beer bellied, horny GWC's who have inflated the egos of many of these model wannabe's by paying $50 to $100 an hour to see them nude or scantily clad.

Bingo. That is what is going on. GWC's prey upon new girls like this because the girls don't know any better and are blinded by the dollar signs. They rarely know a photograph from a snapshot, and even GWC's have better images than their camera phone "pix" that currently fill their port.

Herb Way wrote:
Personally, I see little difference between that and stuffing bills into the g-strings of "dancers" at titty bars.

The difference is that the GWC walks away with images, which last him a lifetime... the man at the titty bar has to keep stuffing bills. Which one do you think costs less in the long run?

Jan 04 07 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Come on...None of these models make that kinda money to shoot. They can demand whatever they want, but they won't get it.

Jan 04 07 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Aaron S wrote:

How can you possibly compare these two things?

The OP compared a model asking $50, $75, $100+ per hour to a doctor charging $100+ an hour. He gave the impression that models without experience were charging the same rate as a doctor with years of experience and training. That's not the case. Most doctors I've encountered in the past many years charge hundreds, even thousands of dollars an hour. So comparing a doctor's compensation, who bills 30+ hours a week at $300 for 10 minutes, to a model's compensation of $100 an hour, who bills 2 hours a month, changes the argument considerably.

That's how I could possibly compare those two things.

Jan 04 07 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Here's the full story

Jan 04 07 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Rhea Photography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
Okay, I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but I've always been curious how amateur models (models without an agency or list of impressive credits) can ask for $50, $75, $100+ dollars an hour for modeling.

I've happily paid models $300-400 for a 2-3 hour session. More if they do their own hair and make-up on a pro level. They also have supplied gorgeous wardrobe. But some models (not all.. I'm not generalizing, just making a point) show up with a duffle bag and a handful of wrinkled cheap clothes...emphasis on the wrinkled!

Anyway, some photographers, including myself have spent 10's of thousands of dollars on equipment and countless hours and money on education, and I sure don't get that kind of dough! I mean, I sincerely want everyone to make a lot of money doing what they love to do.. but aren't there some dues to be paid to earn that level of pay?

What should they charge? I don't know..I'm sure it depends on the assignment .. but doctor's make $100+ an hour and people who have years of experience at a professional craft, sometimes don't make $50 hr. So please tell me how an amateur model can ask for the same rate..I'm really curious about this.

It never hurts to ask.  After enough people say no, they get the idea.  I have had models make all sorts of requests I think are unreasonable.  One guy wanted me to buy him a $400 bathing suit, and another asked me for $500 an hour.  I have even had models quote me what adult sites have offered them.

Those are fun: "Im not asking you to have sex with me, just pose for me".

We all learn our craft and the rules on interacting.  Sometimes I just bite my tounge and don't say waht Im thinking to the model.  Other times thats just too hard to do, and they get "What are you Kidding me?"

I don't know if this helps answer your question - but its just my experience.

Jan 04 07 08:56 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

ADGibson wrote:
Come on...None of these models make that kinda money to shoot. They can demand whatever they want, but they won't get it.

Yes they can, and yes they do...

Although I have never showed up with a wrinkled bag of clothing...

Jan 04 07 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
I've happily paid models $300-400 for a 2-3 hour session.

what is your criteria for paying this amount?  is it because they have the right look?  is it because they are experienced?  what if a model had a ton of experience and had the wrong look and a model had no experience and the right look, would you sacrifice experience for look?  why would experience over look become a factor in what you would pay?

just asking.

--face reality

Jan 04 07 09:00 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Jeez... again?!

LOL.  That's what I thought too.

Jan 04 07 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Tikeya wrote:

LOL.  That's what I thought too.

It took four days this year for the topic to come up, things are slowing down

Jan 04 07 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

Yes they can, and yes they do...

Although I have never showed up with a wrinkled bag of clothing...

You wear clothing? Learn somethin' new every day! wink

Jan 04 07 09:12 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Robert Helm wrote:
It took four days this year for the topic to come up, things are slowing down

AND I'm on dialup...BOO!

Jan 04 07 09:13 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

You wear clothing? Learn somethin' new every day! wink

Sometimes...err once in a while???

I actually have a pretty good selection of fetish gear and custom coesets and such that I pose in...

Jan 04 07 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Once a model gets paid, even just once, for standing around looking appealing, she'll likely get the bug.  Easy money and fun work!  Beats data entry.  Why wouldn't she try to repeat the experience?  I don't blame the models at all.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Jan 04 07 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

It is a free market and she/he is free to ask for whatever. If there is a market for her/his look then lack of experience will prove to be a non-issue.

Jan 04 07 09:20 pm Link

Model

Rene Vickers

Bellevue, Idaho, US

As a photographer, you show a client two different models who might fit the client's requirements. One could have ten years experience, and the other --none.

Who gets the job? The one that fits the client's perception of what he wants, not some high priced sales and marketing job that some manipulater wants. Price is no object for that project so both of them have an equal chance of being the model.

This is where the negotions come into play. The photographer calls or emails you with his proposal. Write him back or ask him: "How many others involved in this?"
If he says five, or two, say: "Who did you call first?"  His answer will tell you where you stand in the Preferred Model queue.  Negotiate accordingly.  Good luck.

Jan 04 07 09:30 pm Link

Model

Torrie

Cinco Bayou, Florida, US

Ha, I would NEVER ask to be paid that much for modeling[atleast right now] probabaly b/c I feel I don't have as much experience as other people...

Some people just tend to get cocky about it I suppose[there making cash easily, is that I mean][not saying all, but friends I've encountered] =/

If someone is willing to Pay ME to photograph me, sweet

haha

Jan 04 07 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Raquelly

Newark, New Jersey, US

I definitely think it's the whole GWC phenomenon that's got these girl's twisted.

They chase the $$$ - and pretty much don't care where their pics end up or how they're used ... I say, let them.

Jan 04 07 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

NC17 wrote:

Patrick Shipstad wrote:

Here is your answer as to why they can charge that much:

Herb Way wrote:
In many cases, you can blame the beer bellied, horny GWC's who have inflated the egos of many of these model wannabe's by paying $50 to $100 an hour to see them nude or scantily clad.

Bingo. That is what is going on. GWC's prey upon new girls like this because the girls don't know any better and are blinded by the dollar signs. They rarely know a photograph from a snapshot, and even GWC's have better images than their camera phone "pix" that currently fill their port.

The difference is that the GWC walks away with images, which last him a lifetime... the man at the titty bar has to keep stuffing bills. Which one do you think costs less in the long run?

Very mature insight.  Guess I won't give up on twentysomethings just yet.

Jan 04 07 09:37 pm Link