Forums > General Industry > "NICE" is my kryptonite......... is it just me?

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

[rant]

Is it just me or does everyone else hate having there work described as "nice"?

I always seem to get comments saying "nice work" or "nice shot" or "nice portfolio" and every time I feel like killing the person who left the comment.

Don't people understand that most photographers (and probably models) would rather that you didn't comment on there work than say that it's "nice" nobody wants nice work, we want jaw dropping outstanding work or nothing at all.

p.s. If you've taken the time to read all of this and now you're thinking 'I know what would be funny, I'll put up a message saying you have a nice portfolio/nice shot/nice comment that would be hilarious' then 10 out of 10 for origionality, but please don't waste your time

[/rant]

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

Jan 01 07 09:18 am Link

Model

Rebekah-Love

Atlanta, Georgia, US

You know - I never thought about it they way you just said - but your right.
NICE is used alot on this site.  I am guilty.  But I for one - try to squeeze in my web surfing time among my busy day and I'd rather leave a quick "nice work" or "nice shot" rather than nothing at all. 

But after reading your post - I will try to think of better way to say it with out going overboard.

Happy New Year

Rebekah-Love

Jan 01 07 09:26 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

thats nice

Jan 01 07 09:33 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

nicely said

[just kidding] I have the same prob

Jan 01 07 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Art Film Cameras

Poland, Maine, US

It's definitely not just you.  Not just here, but in life people see a picture or something and say it's nice.

But you're right: nice is safe, nice is calm and ambiguous.

Jan 01 07 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Kinda sorta like being called a nice guy?

Jan 01 07 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Nice is nice. It's not, perhaps, nice if edgy or dramatic is desired, but there's nothing inherently wrong with nice--it depends on your audience.

Jan 01 07 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

The main reason I don't like "nice" used to describe my artwork, nice things are put in children's nurseries not art galleries.  What I've found is that I have to create some work that is "nice" because people buy more nice work.  Frustrating isn't it!

Jan 01 07 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Forest City, North Carolina, US

Comments in order of importance:

OK - Boring usual crap
Nice - A little better than OK, not very interesting
Good - Average
Excellent - Above average
Awesome - Deserves a second look, shows talent
WOW - Very good
Stunning - Excellent
Perfect - Doesn't get any better than this

Jan 01 07 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Yeah -- that's actually my kryptonite.

Jan 01 07 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Nice guy = Loser

Jan 01 07 11:14 am Link

Photographer

The Cameraeye

Orange, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

New Year's resolution: No More Mr. Nice Guy!

Jan 01 07 11:14 am Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Scott Harrill wrote:

Nice guy = Loser

But if there weren't nice guys out there, what would the world be like?

Jan 01 07 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

No one ever tells me my worik is nice..... sad

Jan 01 07 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Trevor Snyder wrote:

But if there weren't nice guys out there, what would the world be like?

A lot more interesting!

Jan 01 07 11:19 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Somebody says your work is nice and you want to kill them? Sounds like you have a lot more issues than just having nice photography.

Jan 01 07 11:25 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I am not so sure “Nice” is bad thing.  It is brief and concise.  When a piece really moves me, takes me on a journey and speaks to me, I try to elaborate.  Sometimes I am busy but I want to let the person know I enjoyed their work and appreciate their effort.  Words like “Cool” and “Wow” can say a lot.  Take a moment and interpret the meaning.  A model says it, she is in essence saying she wished it was her in the image.  An inexperienced photographer, they wished they could do it.  From someone whose work you admire, do they really need to expand on the lighting or compositional lines of the image?  Is that not implied?

I was watching a football game yesterday.  The Dallas QB was caught in the end zone, slipped a tackle and threw for a 1st down while on his way to the ground.  I jumped out of my chair yelling “NICE”.  I look at your image of Anne O’Conner sitting in a chair and I am thinking “NICE”.  Read into it what you wish.

Jan 01 07 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

byReno wrote:
I am not so sure “Nice” is bad thing.  It is brief and concise.  When a piece really moves me, takes me on a journey and speaks to me, I try to elaborate.  Sometimes I am busy but I want to let the person know I enjoyed their work and appreciate their effort.  Words like “Cool” and “Wow” can say a lot.  Take a moment and interpret the meaning.  A model says it, she is in essence saying she wished it was her in the image.  An inexperienced photographer, they wished they could do it.  From someone whose work you admire, do they really need to expand on the lighting or compositional lines of the image?  Is that not implied?

I was watching a football game yesterday.  The Dallas QB was caught in the end zone, slipped a tackle and threw for a 1st down while on his way to the ground.  I jumped out of my chair yelling “NICE”.  I look at your image of Anne O’Conner sitting in a chair and I am thinking “NICE”.  Read into it what you wish.

Yes the Dallas quarterback is a very good example of a "Nice" player. After being touted as their savior he has lost a lot of games. A real Loser.

Jan 01 07 11:49 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Ville de Nice, France
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6c/Nice12.jpg/110px-Nice12.jpg
My Niece lives in Nice

Jan 01 07 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Actually the word "nice" is derived from the Latin word that is pronounced "nee-shay" which originally was defined as "superb, excellent and without compare."

I just made that up but if it helps...

Jan 01 07 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Actually the word "nice" is derived from the Latin word that is pronounced "nee-shay" which originally was defined as "superb, excellent and without compare."

I just made that up but if it helps...

You can make it fact... just throw it in Wikipedia...everything in Wikipedia must be true... right?

Jan 01 07 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Larry Brown Camera wrote:

Uh, Oh.  You got trouble.  A review of your "nice" port shows some very beautifiul pictures.  Certainly in the top 5% on MM.

Jan 01 07 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Nice is the word you use to describe your neighbors kids when talking to their parents face to face...not what you would like to say...that they are totally obnoxious and without any redeeming social value.

Jan 01 07 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
[rant]

I always seem to get comments saying "nice work" or "nice shot" or "nice portfolio" and every time I feel like killing the person who left the comment.

Don't people understand that most photographers (and probably models) would rather that you didn't comment on there work than say that it's "nice" nobody wants nice work, we want jaw dropping outstanding work or nothing at all.

p.s. If you've taken the time to read all of this and now you're thinking 'I know what would be funny, I'll put up a message saying you have a nice portfolio/nice shot/nice comment that would be hilarious' then 10 out of 10 for origionality, but please don't waste your time

[/rant]

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

wow, you're really smart.. cutting through social hypocrasy and all..

weeding out the double standards, upholding sanity with the laser beam of thought you must posess...

Jan 01 07 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Crickets Photography wrote:
It's definitely not just you.  Not just here, but in life people see a picture or something and say it's nice.

But you're right: nice is safe, nice is calm and ambiguous.

Yes, Nice is totally ambiguous. This is what you say when: you don't want to hurt someones feelings when you might think their work is crap, or you like their work but do not think that it deserves a good comment (don't want to reveal that you like it), or you do not want them to assume that you like their type of work (fetish for example). It is a very ambiguous response that can mean many things, but generally not something you would acknowledge as good.

Jan 01 07 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

RDPhoto - Ric

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Larry Brown Camera wrote:

Yeah, they use "amazing" way too much on you...

Jan 01 07 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I appreciate "nice." smile

I appreciate any positive comment on my work.  I even appreciate any negative comment as long as is is accompanied by helpful critique that shows me a way to improve.

I don't appreciate the "you suck" kind of empty comments that those insecure in their own work feel compelled to leave on others work.

Jan 01 07 01:26 pm Link

Model

Orpheus Faust

Seattle, Washington, US

I agree. I hate when I've done something, anything, and then they say its 'nice', its like 'if its not wonderful, tell me how to make it better, damn you.'

end rant

Jan 01 07 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

BonedaddyBruce

Orlando, Florida, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
[rant]

[/rant]

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

Well.... I dont have any "Nice" comments, so I can't say one way or the other.

I do sometimes feel it's kind of like a cop-out to just say "nice" or "good job". But I have done it myself on occasion when at a loss for words on an image that realy catches my eye, but that I don't love. There are times you want to let the photog/model know they are doing a good job, or on the right track, without wanting to praise too much.

In most cases, I don't comment unless I feel it's deserved... (Could explain why I don't have many comments myself.)

Jan 01 07 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

How does that work in other venues?  Let's see:

"You have nice teeth."  - I'll take that compliment.

"Nice car."    -  Thank you.

"As far as pimps go, you're really nice."  -  Awww.

Nice works for me.

Jan 01 07 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

markcomp wrote:
How does that work in other venues?  Let's see:

"You have nice teeth."  - I'll take that compliment.

"Nice car."    -  Thank you.

"As far as pimps go, you're really nice."  -  Awww.

Nice works for me.

Excellent!  Fantastic!  Wonderful!...blah, blah, blah...

These kind of compliments are often empty praise with little meaning or sincerity behind them.  When someone says "nice," I think they tend to mean it more often than not.

Jan 01 07 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Sure "nice" is a middling term, but it is fully appropriate for quite a bit of content.

Now, "That's niiice!" is a high compliment.

Jan 01 07 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

mjkhfryimhg

Tucson, Arizona, US

today i left a tag saying "really nice work!!!"

once I clicked it i wish I would have said something othre than nice but i couldt change it sad

That should be the new years rezz 4 all!!

Jan 01 07 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

i would complain but i dont get too many comments... :*(

Jan 01 07 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
[rant]

[/rant]

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

Nice? rant

Jan 01 07 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

AmbientEye

Columbia, Maryland, US

I had professors who forbid us from using 'nice' in a critique.

Jan 01 07 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
[rant]

[/rant]

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

So when you leave comments you leave full critiquing?

Jan 01 07 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Jim Ball wrote:

Excellent!  Fantastic!  Wonderful!...blah, blah, blah...

These kind of compliments are often empty praise with little meaning or sincerity behind them.  When someone says "nice," I think they tend to mean it more often than not.

I wish you would have said something before I posted on Giselle's (33226) Port.

Jan 01 07 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:

So when you leave comments you leave full critiquing?

No I don't, and I know I should, but that's not really what the rant is about. ....

What I'm trying to say is if you are busy, but see a fantastic image you love, then it doesn't take long to say "fantastic image I love it"  If you just see an image that you think is "nice" then surely it's not worth spending your time commenting on if you're in that much of a rush!!??

I would be here all day if I wanted to comment on every "nice" shot I see, surely comments are for praise or criticism (hopefully constructive)

I would rather have a portfolio of 15 bad shots and 5 amazing shots than 20 'nice' ones!!

I'm not saying my shots deserve any higher praise than nice....... all I'm saying is that if the shot doesn't 'do it' for the viewer then why do they leave a comment (unless it's constructive criticism).

I know what I mean, even if nobody else does !!!!

Jon
www.jonroberts.co.uk

Jan 01 07 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Scott Harrill wrote:
Comments in order of importance:

OK - Boring usual crap
Nice - A little better than OK, not very interesting
Good - Average
Excellent - Above average
Awesome - Deserves a second look, shows talent
WOW - Very good
Stunning - Excellent
Perfect - Doesn't get any better than this

wohoo it's not just me that thinks this way!!

Jan 01 07 05:19 pm Link