Forums > General Industry > 5'10" and a size 2 dress....

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

MsHeidi wrote:
But thats the thing, kids don't know that!!
I'm talking about teaching kids that you don't have to be 5'10 and a size 0 to be normal...

I don't know what kind of role models you had growing up, but no one told me that I had to look ANY way. If you read into the media pressure to look a certain way, that's your own problem. You can't blame anyone but yourself for your impressionability. People have the power to choose. I could've gotten a boob job a long time ago...I've had a lot more pressure to do so than just photos in a magazine...I've had people tell me to my face that I should...but you don't see any big fake tatas on me, do you? 'Course not. Why? Because I have free will.

Dec 29 06 06:06 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

MsHeidi wrote:
quote]
And bless you for that, but for those who are not should not be "forced" to look like that..

Who is forcing them?

Dec 29 06 06:06 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

Every time you open a magazine or look at the TV....kids get the wrong impression of what is normal...

Dec 29 06 06:08 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

MsHeidi wrote:
You still here aren't you?  Tomorrow, go out side and find me those "normal" people as you call them...dude 70% of Americans are deadly over weight!! Don't come here and say that that is normal!

Did I not just present you with one? Myself. Look...I'm right here. Just because 70% of Americans are fat doesn't mean that none of us are naturally this thin. I am. So how do I not have the right to say that in some cases it is normal, since I look in the mirror every day and see evidence of that? By the way...you're still here too, so let's not play that game, okay?

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

I don't know what kind of role models you had growing up, but no one told me that I had to look ANY way. If you read into the media pressure to look a certain way, that's your own problem. You can't blame anyone but yourself for your impressionability. People have the power to choose. I could've gotten a boob job a long time ago...I've had a lot more pressure to do so than just photos in a magazine...I've had people tell me to my face that I should...but you don't see any big fake tatas on me, do you? 'Course not. Why? Because I have free will.

I was told to get a boob job too :-( By my own mother.

But...then I met my boyfriend and he said I was beautiful the way I naturally was and it made me feel better and kind of pulled back into reality and away from the plastic world of "perfection"

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

3rd Floor Photography wrote:
oh my god. Quit fighting. Everyone.

LoL I know right.

Model

MsHeidi

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Did I not just present you with one? Myself. Look...I'm right here. Just because 70% of Americans are fat doesn't mean that none of us are naturally this thin. I am. So how do I not have the right to say that in some cases it is normal, since I look in the mirror every day and see evidence of that? By the way...you're still here too, so let's not play that game, okay?

So ture hun, you are normal, but not a normal american, if you were you would be a size 8-12...not a 0

Dec 29 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi wrote:
Every time you open a magazine or look at the TV....kids get the wrong impression of what is normal...

But, for some of us, that is normal.

Dec 29 06 06:10 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

MsHeidi wrote:

Every time you walk down a street you get slapped in the face with reality. I don't think what I see in a magazine is normal...I think what I see on the street is. Do you think kids are really THAT stupid?

Dec 29 06 06:10 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Every time you walk down a street you get slapped in the face with reality. I don't think what I see in a magazine is normal...I think what I see on the street is. Do you think kids are really THAT stupid?

good point

Dec 29 06 06:11 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

MsHeidi wrote:

So ture hun, you are normal, but not a normal american, if you were you would be a size 8-12...not a 0

Lol...what are you talking about? I think you're confusing normal with average. I'm not of AVERAGE size...but there is nothing abnormal about my size. It's entirely natural. Same with Rena.

Dec 29 06 06:11 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Yes they are, that's the problem!! I was talking to my cosin (13 years old) who never knew that mag. covers were re-touched, and she thought that that was they way she needed to look to be accepted...that is the problem..I would not call them stupid, thats your words..

Dec 29 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

MsHeidi wrote:

Yes they are, that's the problem!! I was talking to my cosin (13 years old) who never knew that mag. covers were re-touched, and she thought that that was they way she needed to look to be accepted...that is the problem..I would not call them stupid, thats your words..

That is kind of true.  When I was 9 or 10 I think, I didn't know that they airbrushed either, until my sister told me.

Dec 29 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

MsHeidi wrote:

Maybe your kid is just dense?

Dec 29 06 06:17 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Searcher wrote:

Maybe your kid is just dense?

I was a pretty smart kid and I didn't know what airbrushing was back then...

Dec 29 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

MsHeidi wrote:
And bless you for that, but for those who are not should not be "forced" to look like that..

Nobody can force you... they still make clothes for sale in all sorts of sizes, so it's not like "BE THINNER OR GO NAKED"

Dec 29 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Well, I did not know abot photoshop and that EVERY single picture you see in a mag is a fake untill I started modeling...so many kids never find that out....sadly

Dec 29 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Milli wrote:

I was a pretty smart kid and I didn't know what airbrushing was back then...

Weren't supposed to. Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain!

Dec 29 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

Doug Vosler wrote:
Nobody can force you... they still make clothes for sale in all sorts of sizes, so it's not like "BE THINNER OR GO NAKED"

It's quite the opposite. As I said before, it is a challenge to find clothes that fit tall and thin people.

Dec 29 06 06:21 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Rena wrote:

It's quite the opposite. As I said before, it is a challenge to find clothes that fit tall and thin people.

Tall is the word here...even I have problems finding 36inseam..

Dec 29 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

MsHeidi wrote:
Well, I did not know abot photoshop and that EVERY single picture you see in a mag is a fake untill I started modeling...so many kids never find that out....sadly

Stop trying to wake up the world. Either you're in the industry or you're not. If you're in, educating the public about what's wrong with our business is essentially shooting yourself in the firm shapely buttocks. Leave them blind, we'll make more money!

Dec 29 06 06:22 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi wrote:
Tall is the word here...even I have problems finding 36inseam..

No, it's not. A lot of places make talls and longs once they reach a size 4 or so. So those of us who are 0's really have it hard.

O and don't forget about vanity sizing.

Dec 29 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Rena wrote:

No, it's not. A lot of places make talls and longs once they reach a size 4 or so. So those of us who are 0's really have it hard.

Perhaps not in North Carolina, but try a Norwegian store...sorry fpr not living in America where everything is bigger...but you...and all the "normal" people..

ohh...the sarcasm just keeps comming... I'm going to bed!

Dec 29 06 06:25 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

MsHeidi wrote:

It doesn't matter that the photos are airbrushed...I mean...that doesn't really matter at all. The fact is, anyone who looks at a crowd of people can see that a VERY small percentage actually look like that. If kids can't see that, and they starve themselves to death to look like a person on a magazine cover which reality has shown them all their life is NOT what the average person looks like, I chalk it up natural selection. Besides...if a kid is that vain that they think personality is that important, blame their parents for not raising them right...not "the industry".

Dec 29 06 06:25 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

I think it also depends on the clothes for high fashion skinny and tall usually looks better but say for formal gowns or for street clothes it looks better if they are filled out, not neccessarly by someone heavy or short but by someone with more of a VS physique rather than heroin chic.

to the last question. I'm five three when I was heavier like a size three to five pants were too long and I had to hem them or wear heals. now that I wear a size zero the length fits.

Shirts I've never had a problem with, s or xsmall, sometimes they are too short but fit width wise. It's strange because I think I have a very short torso but relatively long legs in proportion to the rest of my body.

Sometimes it upsets me just because I know more girls my hieght than the hieght that fits the pants. I only have two girlfriends above 5'5" out of 15.

Dec 29 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

-Tiffany-

Tracy, California, US

whats the big freakin deal.  its industry standards.. its been and always will be.. Unless america gets too fat for its own good.

Im happy with not doing fashion. I dont have a fashion look anyhow.  Take what you got and work with it.

Dec 29 06 06:27 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Why? Because I have free will.

True. But humans aren't just free will; they're also instinct and emotion - so seeing a message over and over and over will eventually make an impression.

Even if I "know" I don't need to be that tall and that thin to be attractive, I don't necessarily "feel" it.

I do envy those who are entirely mind over matter about this, but no matter what I try, I don't think I'm made that way... and from experience and observation, most aren't. That's why you get so many people complaining about these beauty standards.

In response to the very original post... I disagree a rail will make most outfits look good, nor that a shorter person will. In my tastes, it's about how well-fitted the clothes are to any given person.

Dec 29 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

little apple blossom wrote:
I think it also depends on the clothes for high fashion skinny and tall usually looks better but say for formal gowns or for street clothes it looks better if they are filled out, not neccessarly by someone heavy or short but by someone with more of a VS physique rather than heroin chic.

Amen to the filled out street clothes look. I'll always remember that jeans commercial (the brand name escapes me for the moment) of the guy and the girl walking down the street and they get ambushed by buffalo. She looked sickly thin, I hated that commercial.

Dec 29 06 06:28 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Searcher wrote:

Weren't supposed to. Pay no attention to the men behind the curtain!

lol

Dec 29 06 06:29 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Rena wrote:

Its also a challenge to find pants that fit when you have long legs and a big butt big_smile

Dec 29 06 06:29 pm Link

Model

Milli wrote:
Its also a challenge to find pants that fit when you have long legs and a big butt big_smile

lol I don't doubt that.

Dec 29 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Tiffany209 wrote:
Unless america gets too fat for its own good.

I wouldn't mind seeing the US get fit. Hell we have health problems other countries can only dream about.

Dec 29 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Sabina N wrote:
In response to the very original post... I disagree a rail will make most outfits look good, nor that a shorter person will. In my tastes, it's about how well-fitted the clothes are to any given person.

What the f*ck is with people thinking that a size 2 is stick thin or as you put it "a rail"?

Dec 29 06 06:33 pm Link

Model

-Tiffany-

Tracy, California, US

BlindMike wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing the US get fit. Hell we have health problems other countries can only dream about.

so true.

Dec 29 06 06:34 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

America is alredy to fat for it's own good...70% over weight...

Dec 29 06 06:34 pm Link

Model

Doug Vosler wrote:
What the f*ck is with people thinking that a size 2 is stick thin or as you put it "a rail"?

Thank you!

Dec 29 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

MsHeidi wrote:
America is alredy to fat for it's own good...70% over weight...

I'm suddenly in the mood for a really juicy cheeseburger.

Dec 29 06 06:37 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Searcher wrote:

Count me in!!!

Dec 29 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Searcher wrote:

I'm in the mood for pizza.

Dec 29 06 06:39 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Doug Vosler wrote:

In my opinion, most models I see with those stats on agency pages... are very thin. So I think that's stick-thin, because they appear stick-thin to me.

There *may* actually be size differentiation in Canada and the 'States... depending on the clothing item, I'm maybe a size 2-4 at 5'7" and also get called stick-thin by some... I know it's actually hard to tell in pictures, though.

A little bit of subjective perception involved, for sure.

No need to swear, though - I do actually just want to discuss the issue.

Dec 29 06 06:39 pm Link