Forums > General Industry > 5'10" and a size 2 dress....

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

So, In every casting call I've ever posted, looking for potential girls for fashion shoots, I always hear the same thing when I put height and dress size restrictions on it.

IF I give a reason at all, this is what I give...

Try going shopping with a 5'10 size 2.... EVERY style looks good on her.

Try going shopping with a 5'4 size 6...  Although in my eyes, this person would be way more phyisically attractive... the percentage of style that look good on her will drop dramatically.

The fashion thing is about what makes the clothes look good.

I don't claim to be an expert, this is just my observation.  So, I'm curious, do you agree, disagree?

Models, if you thought of it from the standpoint of how the clothes look, rather than the appearance of the model, would it offend you any less that you don't fit the build?

Dec 29 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

People have a problem with you asking for a 5'10" size 2 model?

Those are the only models I work with lately. They just nail it every time.

Dec 29 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

More than I'd say. My response, if I responded, would be, "The job is the job. Take it or leave it."

M

Dec 29 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Doug Vosler wrote:

The fashion thing is about what makes the clothes look good.

Agree

Dec 29 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah, that bugs me.  You should be able to post a casting call without getting flak for it.  The requirements are what they are.  It's not like you're saying that any  model who doesn't fit those requirements is an ugly old hag.

Dec 29 06 12:00 pm Link

Model

-Tiffany-

Tracy, California, US

Question. Where do I stand at 5'8" size 4?

Dec 29 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Los Angeles, California, US

Life's unfair. 
I have heard us more shapely models do rock a swimsuit better.  People tend to like some butt in those bikini bottoms.

Dec 29 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Tiffany209 wrote:

You stand at being hot.  smile

Most clothes would look great on you.

Dec 29 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Tiffany209 wrote:

2 inches less than 5" 10", of course. We're here to help!

I offer math tutoring for models, TFP (Tutoring For Posing, of course).

Dec 29 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

-Tiffany-

Tracy, California, US

Mia Salen wrote:
Life's unfair. 
I have heard us more shapely models do rock a swimsuit better.  People tend to like some butt in those bikini bottoms.

I agree, I dont buy the bikini unless my butt looks good haha

Dec 29 06 12:04 pm Link

Model

-Tiffany-

Tracy, California, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:

2 inches less than 5" 10", of course. We're here to help!

I offer math tutoring for models, TFP (Tutoring For Posing, of course).

Lol, I was never too good at math wink

Dec 29 06 12:04 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Tiffany209 wrote:

ditto!

Dec 29 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

That is why I am a nude art model. I look much better naked than in clothes, and my posing ability is what makes me stand out. I do have some clothed photos, but in general, I think I look a lot better nude. Besides, at 34, 5'7" and a size 10-12, I could do art modeling or medical commercial modeling, but never fashion modeling. However, I seem to prefer being my own manager and getting naked for good photographers than getting into an agency for commercial models and making more money. I get something commercial models don't....gallery quality prints.

Just went to the framing store with some of the prints I have gotten and the woman running the store was so impressed with the prints I brought in it was very exciting for me. She said, "it is good to see what is going on in the galleries these days"

Dec 29 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Tiffany209 wrote:

I agree, I dont buy the bikini unless my butt looks good haha

I'm just bitter cuz I'm short and fat.
My size 0 is a lot less impressive when I'm 5'0".

Dec 29 06 12:10 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

BTW, glamour and bathing suit models are usually a size 4-6 if they are 5'7" or 5'8" because a curvier fuller body is what the guys like to see when they are looking at bodies and not clothes. However, I have seen some really hot women who are size 2 or 0, especially if that is their natural build. Anorexic models, even if they are size 4 and have big bones do not look good. It is all about what kind of modeling you want to do and being realistic about what kind of modeling you could be good at. There are so many fields to go into, and fashion modeling is just one small part of it. Also, it appears that the age of the supermodel is by and large gone...not very many fashion models make good money now compared to 10-20 years ago.

Dec 29 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mia Salen wrote:

I'm just bitter cuz I'm short and fat.
My size 0 is a lot less impressive when I'm 5'0".

Uh, you are short, but you are NOT fat. If I catch you saying that one more time I am going to make you come to Chicago so I can take some photos of you.

Dec 29 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Lapis wrote:

Uh, you are short, but you are NOT fat. If I catch you saying that one more time I am going to make you come to Chicago so I can take some photos of you.

I might have to say it again, just so you will.

smile

Dec 29 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

JanineM

Miami, Arizona, US

I agree. You are wanting to shoot fashion...and those ARE usually very general requirements. I do not think you are asking anything that is not all ready a standard for that genre of the industry. smile
Cheers!
-jM

Dec 29 06 12:14 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Lapis wrote:
I look much better naked than in clothes, and my posing ability is what makes me stand out.

Not many people can honestly say that.  Glad you can!  One of my really good girlfriends is 5'9" and a size 2, and she's always raggin on me when we go to the beach or getting self concious about a date that may lead to...being naked.  She thinks her butt looks un butt-like when she's naked cuz she's so thin.

Dec 29 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:

Chicago? Neah, Seattle is better! :-)

(put down the knife, Lapis)

Dec 29 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

Tiffany209 wrote:

good enough in my book

Dec 29 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Quoted from here:  https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=101430

ashleycarone wrote:
I 'm not talking about a size 6. I'm talking about a size 4. My measurements are 35-25-35. In my opinion, clothes look pretty damn good on me. I think it's wrong that you only want models that are a size two. That is exactly what is WRONG with this industry and what I hate about it. Why would commercial advertisers and photographers photograph models with unrealistic and extremely rare bodies wearing a product that they are trying to sell to average sized people. It creates unrealistic expectations for people who don't know any better. I would think that as a photographer who is just starting off, you wouldn't follow in everyone else's footsteps. You're going to end up having the same recycled and redundant "work" that every other "fashion" photographer has.

Your thoughts?

Dec 29 06 12:20 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

so 5'8 and a size 4.. No fashion.. Yes Glamour and bathing suit.

So I need to concentrate more on those 2..
My porto is going nowhere.. sigh*

Dec 29 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Lestari wrote:

Actually, I would say you'd be best off doing lifestyle shoots...

Dec 29 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

5'8 and a size 0/00, with an inseam of 34 in flats... I guess I'm still good to go!

Still, what would I do to have those two extra inches of height, even considering how hard it is to shop for size 00 jeans with at least a 36 inseam (heels...)!

Dec 29 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

So would it be horrible for me to respond to a casting call that says 5'10 size 2 because they want that TYPE of model (like tall and pretty thin) since I am 5'9 (yes I can do math, I am 1 inch shorter) and a 0/2 (jeans 0/00 as well) but dresses 0/2. I am tall and thin, and I very much fit high fashion size standards.... I am just asking because I always thought it is ok. If it is not then I won't do it.... I just thought if you were close to their type of model they are looking for it is ok...

But, when you are 3-4 inches shorter or 2 sizes bigger than I would NEVER respond. I always figured that when they say something like 5'10 size 2 that it means NYC agency quality model pretty much lol.  Unless of course they say it is a strict size 2 for a designer or something... But when people want a NYC agency quality model, I thought they usually want 5'8 to 5'11 size 0/2 or bust up to 35 waist up to 25 (26 possibly if they are on the taller end of it) and hips up to 35 (36 if they are on the taller end of it as well)....

Am I kind of right? Just wondering Thanks!

Dec 29 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

Eloise wrote:
5'8 and a size 0/00, with an inseam of 34 in flats... I guess I'm still good to go!

Still, what would I do to have those two extra inches of height, even considering how hard it is to shop for size 00 jeans with at least a 36 inseam (heels...)!

You have great measurements and all. Anyone doing high fashion/editorial shoots should use you!

Dec 29 06 12:39 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Josue P

smile
yeah....between 5´8 to 5´11 size 00 to 4 and shoe 8 to 10 is pretty workable wink
.....I gess....
wink

Dec 29 06 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Josue P wrote:
smile
yeah....between 5´8 to 5´11 size 00 to 4 and shoe 8 to 10 is pretty workable wink
.....I gess....
wink

Hi, can you come to FL and do some shoots with me?  smile

I love what you do.

Don't take it too serious... I am just paying a compliment.

Dec 29 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brendan Barry

Boston, Georgia, US

Leah Rogers wrote:

You have great measurements and all. Anyone doing high fashion/editorial shoots should use you!

I only shoot with great personalities. Fortunately, she has one.

Dec 29 06 12:49 pm Link

Model

Mia Mali

Christopher Ambler wrote:

Chicago? Neah, Seattle is better! :-)

(put down the knife, Lapis)

Rawr!

Dec 29 06 12:51 pm Link

Model

Wenzel

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Tiffany209 wrote:

You are smoking - that's where you stand!

Dec 29 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Tiffany209 wrote:

"Short and chunky" where I work.

Certainly not a problem for my art shoots, but for fashion you're a disaster.

Dec 29 06 01:46 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Just because no one else seems to be asking. . .have you thought about what type of modeling you want to do based on the options available to you at your current height and size/measurements?  Maybe that's a starting point.

I think a lot of people aspire to do a certain type of modeling without fully looking into the requirements of that field.  Just because you're a size ___ doesn't automatically guarantee you're going to do well at __ modeling which uses size ___ models.  Nor does it mean you're going to like doing it.  Make sense?  So what do you "want" to do???

Also. . .
the road your pictures seem to be indicating is pinup/glamour.  Looks like you've already started carving out your niche in modeling.

Lestari wrote:

Dec 29 06 04:03 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

If a 4 is chunky. . .a 10 must be ginormous!  Glad you're being humorous, or else we may have a mad rash of models starving themselves to not be chunky.  wink

Searcher wrote:

"Short and chunky" where I work.

Certainly not a problem for my art shoots, but for fashion you're a disaster.

Dec 29 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
If a 4 is chunky. . .a 10 must be ginormous!  Glad you're being humorous, or else we may have a mad rash of models starving themselves to not be chunky.  wink

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be funny that time. Seriously, she should try to lose like 10 lbs.

Dec 29 06 04:15 pm Link

Model

Anicia Shali

Beverly Hills, California, US

Exactly Why I Gave Up .... Hmmm :0/

Dec 29 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

A casting is what it is.  If some models don't like it - oh well!  If you're casting for art models and say you want them to be 5'1" and 140 lbs - do the skinny high fashion models get upset?  I bet not!  The girls who can't make it due to today's stat standards in high fashion modeling will just have to deal.  You have every right to ask for what you want.  They have every right to get pissy if they want.  Ignore it.  You are not being unreasonable.  You have a certain look you are going for and that's that! smile

Dec 29 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Tiffany209 wrote:

I love your look but then I make art and used to do commercial work. For commercial work you'd need to drop say 10 Lbs..maybe 5. But MOSTLY yo just need to firm up the tummy and legs. You Bikini shot shows that need. I'd drop it as the rest of your work is excellent. For fashion if you dropped more like 15 lbs you'd be getting there but at the bottom end of the scale. California beach stuff looks more up you alley. JUST MY opinion of course.
Mike

Dec 29 06 04:22 pm Link

Model

Adieu

I'm 5'5 and size 2. I can wear 5 inch heels smile

Dec 29 06 04:24 pm Link